I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Thanks for the reply and thoughts.

I have diversified points but heavy on UR (1M UR, 350k AA, 140k Delta, 60k MR). So a UR partner might be better. I did create a flying blue and British airways account to have ready.

I’ll try some of the tools you listed.

I know how you feel about the task! I posted something similar and got good feedback (like the response you got) and also a few people sharing their bookings.

I've subbed to point.me for now as my booking window will open up in October/November timeframe for 2024 travel. Originally I wasn't impressed with point.me as I used an Aer Lingus/Avios sample search and point.me did not find it. However, I think Avios' website is terrible, it's searches take forever (when they work) so I wonder if point.me's API is also having a problem.

The next time I sat down to research, I used Virgin Atlantic's website to run some searches and some good success there (58k for Biz from RDU to FCO as an example). I think I decided to look via VA after seeing someone post on Reddit about a redemption to Switzerland. So that would be my suggestion in addition to the good advice you've rec'd. Oh, but after I found some award flights on VA, I did the same search in point.me and it did find it.

Good luck!

I have a really dumb question-

Will AA automatically feed us on our flight (main cabin extra) since its such a long flight? Its PHL to LAX over dinner. Just wondering if I need to plan to bring food on board. I did check their website but it only mentions JFK to LAX.

FWIW, we flew AA (main cabin) from HNL to LAX, and they provided us a meal. It was turkey (or veggie) sandwiches with chips and brownie. The flight from PHL to LAX is about the same length (?) so I think you'll get something.

FWIW, we flew AA (main cabin) from HNL to LAX, and they provided us a meal. It was turkey (or veggie) sandwiches with chips and brownie. The flight from PHL to LAX is about the same length (?) so I think you'll get something.
If I remember correctly, Hawaii flights are different. We also got food on our HNL flight, but we've never been fed on a flight to California from the east coast in economy. Only snacks.

OK, not sure I can wait for P2 CIP approval. I have a $4k spend in about 12 days. I hate to use a personal spot, but think I might have to. Thoughts on the BoA travel cards? I have never had a BoA card before.
Or a Cap One Biz card? Are they hard to get with a "business"?

If I remember correctly, Hawaii flights are different. We also got food on our HNL flight, but we've never been fed on a flight to California from the east coast in economy. Only snacks.

Ah, maybe Hawaii is different. I haven't flown coast to coast in many years!

I use Plastiq each month for my HOA payment and haven't had any issues.
Good to hear! BTW, check to see if your HOA is available for PayPal Billpay. I was able to find mine and now I can pay my HOA on a CC without any fees, whereas if I pay with a CC through the HOA portal the charge is $15 per transaction. I've read other people are able to pay their property taxes that way, but my county doesn't appear on the PPB list to my disappointment.

OK, not sure I can wait for P2 CIP approval. I have a $4k spend in about 12 days. I hate to use a personal spot, but think I might have to. Thoughts on the BoA travel cards? I have never had a BoA card before.
Or a Cap One Biz card? Are they hard to get with a "business"?
I would make sure you can get those cards in time. Good luck and hopefully you'll get that CIP approval soon.

Oh, that's good. Yes, the sole prop business card app is very similar and amex is very supportive of small business :)
Thanks to the excellent advice of those on this forum, I applied (and was approved for) a Blue Business Plus card to hold my MRs after I close my Amex Gold card. Quick question: do I need to transfer my MRs to the new card before I cancel the Gold (like I would with Chase)? I don't see a way to do this in the app.

Has anyone else applied for a chase card, called the status line, and have it ask for the last 4 digits of a reference number? I’ve never had this happen before. It was saying 2 weeks before and changed to this.

Has anyone else applied for a chase card, called the status line, and have it ask for the last 4 digits of a reference number? I’ve never had this happen before. It was saying 2 weeks before and changed to this.
Is this for the CIP you mentioned? Mine just says your application status is not yet available.

Thanks to the excellent advice of those on this forum, I applied (and was approved for) a Blue Business Plus card to hold my MRs after I close my Amex Gold card. Quick question: do I need to transfer my MRs to the new card before I cancel the Gold (like I would with Chase)? I don't see a way to do this in the app.

All MR goes into the same pot, so no need to transfer. But double check that you can see your MR balance on you BBP account (in case of rare glitches).

Hi everyone. I have a question if anyone can answer. I booked an Alaska air flight but it seems to be
a codeshare operated by American Airlines. So is it better to get miles credited to Alaska or American?
And is that even if possible to choose? Thank you

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I have a question if anyone can answer. I booked an Alaska air flight but it seems to be
a codeshare operated by American Airlines. So is it better to get miles credited to Alaska or American?
And is that even if possible to choose? Thank you

If you booked through Alaska, you might get more miles crediting to Alaska. Depends on the booking class, which you can find on your confirmation e-mail. You can see how much you'd get crediting to AA here. You can also see where else you can credit to.

Your question reminded me to check if my Icelandair flight credited. We rarely fly them, so I credited my flight to Alaska since I have some miles from a SUB. The kids and my mom don't have any Alaska miles, so I credited their flight to Jetblue where it can be pooled. Just checked and everything credited even though the Icelandair website was wonky and kept blanking out the mileage numbers. :D

After a 3 year hiatus, I am back for CC tips and travel. I had several trips planned when Covid happened, and since everything was cancelled I just took a break. We did finally take a trip to Florida this year and a few other small trips so I was able to use up most of the leftover points I had been refunded during that timeframe.

Here is my CC layout currently.

02/19 Chase Sapphire $3000 limit 4200 UR's
06/11 Chase Disney (the no fee one) $2000 limit
04/16 Chase Southwest Priority $12000 limit 51000 pts ( I use this one for most purchases)
2019 Chase Ink Business $5000 limit (rarely use after initial bonus, but didn't want to close b/c it was my last chase business card)
When I was doing the business cards I transferred limits so that is why most are low.

02/20 Amex Hilton Surpass $8000 limit 140,000 pts
2019 Amex Marriott Bonvoy Business $9000 limit 85,000 pts
09/23 Amex Delta Just applied for this one and will be working on the bonus $3000/6 months for 85000 pts, also going to use this one for Global Entry application

Other cards Rarely used:
9/15 citibank
05/05 Bank mastercard
07/17 Bank of America

I do have a P2, sort of. He only agreed to play when it came to the SW card, and Chase Sapphire. He still has Sapphire, but SW is closed. He got Chase Amazon last year which he uses almost exclusively and prefers that one.

Other Travel Award accounts
American Airlines 20,688 pts leftover from Covid Cancel
Alaska Airlines 32,160 pts leftover from Covid cancel

Bills:
Mortgage paid off
Taxes we pay annually in Oct
1 car payment, has to be direct account pull
Car insurance, direct account pull
cell phone, direct account pull to keep discount
All other monthly bills are put on a CC and paid off monthly

My travel goals for next year:
Florida Trip, will use SW pts for flights probably not a Disney trip though, just beach

My big trip for next year is 2 weeks in Europe (London, Paris, & Switzerland) in Sept 2024 Dates are flexible as long as it is past the Olympics.

On this trip it will be Me, my mom, cousin and bestfriend. Myself and mom will have points for flights and some hotel. Well the goal is to use as much points as we can. Cousin and BFF will be cash.
We have to use Delta for our flights for this one. Mom and I are working on the Delta points. All 4 of us either have Delta gift cards or credits. We want at least Comfort/Business for flights. For myself though I'm going to try my hardest for enough points for first class.

Our base airports are San Antonio or Austin.

I see I can't transfer UR's to Delta, but I can book Delta with UR's.

I can transfer Marriott to Delta, but that's a 3:1 ratio with a 5,000 bonus for every 60,000 transferred. Not sure that's the best deal though. I'm thinking save the Marriott points and take advantage of the 5th night free when using points if I can get a decent amount saved.

I am looking for the best point earning, for international flight via Delta and hotel stays in Europe.

I am also trying to decide which is the best order to visit each area. London, Paris, Switzerland//Paris, Switzerland London//Paris, London, Switzerland

I'm fine with booking one way flights to arrive and leave from different locations.

Also when is the best time of year to book these flights? I know they aren't available yet.

Sorry edited to add this question: If P2 gets a Delta Amex can his points be transferred to me?

Thank you for all your suggestions.

A footnote to my DH's quest for Global Entry/TSA Pre. (He's the one who did not have conditional approval before we left for Ireland in June, I got my conditional w/in days of our applications last July! We both interviewed/fingerprinted/photo in Shannon before we departed as part of enroll on "arrival"). I got my GE card in a few weeks and he did not. Once we checked his application online, he still had to schedule an interview, but this time hew as allowed to pick a zoom interview.)

Anyway, originally when we went to schedule his zoom a few weeks ago, even those did not have appts until November. I'd considered using the appointment scanner thing, but before spending the $29 today, I decided to look again. Zoom appointments were available next week! So, saved the $29 and hopefully he'll have TSA Pre before we travel in November.

So this is my plug for anyone who is still waiting for their conditional approvals -- if you have to take your int'l trip w/o Global Entry, go ahead and ask if you can do the "enroll on arrival" when you get back. Getting the fingerprinting and photo out of the way allows you to complete anything else via zoom. (It's kinda dumb that he didn't get fully approved, the CBP person asked him the identical questions as me. I'm guessing it's just a red tape thing based on how things were done for him.)

Sounds like they might have sent you a letter - check in your account under Documents - Notices and Letters.

For myself though I'm going to try my hardest for enough points for first class.

If P2 gets a Delta Amex can his points be transferred to me?

Just a couple of thoughts...

I'm not sure why you must use Delta internationally flying out of AUS/SAT...you're going to be paying a LOT either cash or miles. It's none of my business but I'm delta diamond and I don't normally fly internationally on Delta unless it's last minute or an amazing deal (which CAN happen but not predictably nor often). Please, if you can, reconsider-it will be expensive, require a layover, and the product won't have the first class it sounds like you're seeking. Okay, unsolicited advice over🤣.

You can try as hard as you want for enough points for first class, but Delta does NOT have first class internationally. They market their international business product as Delta One but it's business. The four class planes have economy, comfort plus, premium select and Delta One (which is business). It's confusing terminology but not a true first class product, I promise.

Your P2 could transfer to you but with a hefty price and I wouldn't recommend but if it's worth it to you, then yes, Delta allows it. I'd just crunch the numbers to see if it's really worth the transfer cost versus obtaining another DL amex (or an MR earning AMEX and transfer even with the 0.0006/mile fee) and getting another sign up bonus (that would be my recommendation, personally).

Others on the board will have opinions about the order of London/Paris/Switzerland and hotels there...but I didn't want you to waste your time looking for a product that doesn't exist AND to prepare yourself for sticker shock. 85,000 skymiles sounds great but when an international D1 ticket retails for 400,000 skymiles...then the reality is...wow that's expensive (and the product isn't THAT amazing).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter