• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Need some assistance. The annual fees just posted on 2 of my CCs:
- Barclays Hawaiian Airlines World Elite MasterCard (7-year cardholder)
- Chase United Business MileagePlus Card (10-year cardholder)

Have not used either card for the last couple of years. Have no plans to use the cards for the next year at least. Have been using Chase UR points to book flights to get the 50% boost with the CSR, or using Amex Platinum to book direct for the 5X earn and utilizing the $200 airline incidental credit.

Do either cards offer any worthwhile retention offers? Is there an easy worthwhile downgrade path to no annual fee cards? If cancelling the cards, I still keep the miles, right? Since the annual fees have already posted, will cancelling automatically removed the fees? How much impact will cancelling these cards have on credit score?

Thanks for any help!
The United Business card won't impact your credit score.
I'm not sure about the Barclays.

Have not used either card for the last couple of years. Have no plans to use the cards for the next year at least. Have been using Chase UR points to book flights to get the 50% boost with the CSR, or using Amex Platinum to book direct for the 5X earn and utilizing the $200 airline incidental credit.

Do either cards offer any worthwhile retention offers? Is there an easy worthwhile downgrade path to no annual fee cards? If cancelling the cards, I still keep the miles, right? Since the annual fees have already posted, will cancelling automatically removed the fees? How much impact will cancelling these cards have on credit score?

Thanks for any help!
I can't speak to any possible retention offers, but the rest I can talk about. If you cancel the cards you will still keep the miles, they are already in your account with the airline. You should be able to cancel within 30 days and get the AF reversed. Cancelling those two cards will only have an impact on your if one of them is your oldest card, it puts you below 3 open revolving accounts or it makes your aggregate utilization more than 8.9%. They will stay on your credit report for 10 years after closure.

Thanks for any help!

Chase business cards don't report to your personal credit report, so canceling the United biz has no bearing on your credit score at all. I don't think I've seen any reports of retention offers on Chase business cards.

Barclays sometimes have retention offers, though I don't know about the Hawaiian card specifically. You'll probably have to call to cancel, so might as well ask then.

For those that are doing the "make 2 seperate purchases from Starbucks and get 1000 Skymiles" (Skymiles account must be linked to Starbucks account), I finished my 2 purchases yesterday and got email confirmation about my 1000 miles and an offer to buy 3 more purchases from Starbucks and get another 1000 skymiles.

Honestly I don't go to Starbucks all that often, but I had some $ in the app so it was easy to get the first 2 drinks. I have until 9/4 for the next 3. We'll see.

Miles are already posted in my Delta account.

The charge doesn't go through. You might see no charge on your account or a charge and an immediate credit. But better that it fails than be charged a large cash advance fee.
Is there any way to use the cc if it fails on venmo once? or is that it?

Ok- I've seen this mentioned here many times, first time needing to do this- I'd like to up my CL on the new CiP (it's 5k) by borrowing some from another acct- does it have to be another biz acct,or can it be a personal? I have enough 'extra' CL on a couple of other inks....do I need to call to do it,or can I request via SM? thanks (btw, new ink came in less than a day! SM'ed immediately after approval to request expedited)

Ok- I've seen this mentioned here many times, first time needing to do this- I'd like to up my CL on the new CiP (it's 5k) by borrowing some from another acct- does it have to be another biz acct,or can it be a personal? I have enough 'extra' CL on a couple of other inks....do I need to call to do it,or can I request via SM? thanks (btw, new ink came in less than a day! SM'ed immediately after approval to request expedited)
It has to be from another business card…I’ve done it via SM usually takes 24 hrs or less for them to do it.

Is there any way to use the cc if it fails on venmo once? or is that it?

If Chase wants to classify the charge as a cash advance, I don't know if there's anything you can do about it. I guess you could call and argue that it should count as a purchase, but no idea if that would work.

Hello friends! I am planning to buy a direct contract for Disneyland Hotel (~$37k) and wanted to get this group's opinion on which would be the best card for the purchase. From what it sounds like (from reading some posts), perhaps the Chase Sapphire Reserve (x3 travel) would be a good bet? I plan to pay the purchase off right away, so ability to carry a balance isn't as important.

I prefer Amex points (have plat and everyday), but I like Chase too. I have the Chase Sapphire (no AF, plain from a product change in 2018) and a Freedom Card already. I read earlier on this thread that I couldn't have any Sapphire in order to get the current promotion on the reserve.

is it called a transfer of CL,or simply ask to move some of the CL over?

I ask them to move x amount of cl on my card ending in 1234 to my card ending in 5678
Then say so my card ending in 1234 has a xxx cl and my card ending in 5678 has a yyy cl
I did exactly this on Sunday. Nearing the $4k limit on my newest CIU and have 4 others. I just picked one that had zero balance and $5k limit. I SM'd Sunday evening and asked to transfer $3k of my CL on card ending 1234 to card ending 7890. It was done Monday morning.

Kind of points trip report, had a Thursday - Sunday trip to Estes Park, CO for a wedding. WOW - pictures can’t do it justice. What a cute town, incredible scenery, and great base for exploring Rocky Mountain National Park.

ACC8FEE6-A961-471C-ABC9-A61A1A40CF45.jpeg

Flew BWI to DEN with SW points. Booked rental car through Costco on my CSP and will pay off with PYB grocery/gas. Rental car prices were INSANE initially - $400 for four day rental. Was planning on doing the Estes Park shuttle which is about $60 - $70 each way. Five days before the trip found two rental companies through Costco with $200 rate for 4 days. So garden those reservations, you may come up with something better!

Lodging - lovely that my parents decided to get a place for the whole family at the wedding venue, Black Canyon Inn. There is a Wyndham time share, a Best Western, and a Quality Inn in looking to boom somewhere with points. We are already talking about taking the kids when they are a bit older and staying at the Wyndham.

Access to the National Park required a timed pass and paying per car ($30) but after that - hiking is free! As are lots of ranger talks and the visitor centers. Despite all the travel costs it felt kind of budget because of this.

Food - they have a Safeway and that was good enough for us! Between that and getting some pizza and takeout Thai our food costs were pretty reasonable.

We also took a look around the Stanley Hotel, $10 to park but we felt it was worth it to poke around. This was Stephen King’s inspiration for The Shining and the place still has lots of its historic elements intact (including no AC!)

B9726783-EB8A-4FEA-A29C-66895DD90349.jpeg
0D749DF1-F567-41FD-8738-59179D3DCF54.jpeg
I will definitely be back!

Alright, we are flying economy to and from South Africa, looking at 16 + 9 hour flight there and 10 + 14 hour flight back.
We've done the shorter 10 hour flights in economy, I'm worried about the 16 & 14 hour flights. Any tips for those long flights?

I have not flown that long (other than as a flight attendant, so totally different), so no great advice. But if you can select seats for a fee with extra leg room, consider that. Also, maybe keep an eye on biz class seats and consider maybe 2 peeps one way and 2 peeps the other, if you can score that.

At one point when the kids were younger, we were using something like these blow up leg rests. They worked well for the kids. I am also short, so my dangling feet get super uncomfortable. You can inflate as much or as little as you like. You and your girls are tiny so I could see it maybe working for you, maybe even just 1? But it's an extra thing to carry, so you have to sorta weigh that.

1693353538350.png

I have not flown that long (other than as a flight attendant, so totally different), so no great advice. But if you can select seats for a fee with extra leg room, consider that. Also, maybe keep an eye on biz class seats and consider maybe 2 peeps one way and 2 peeps the other, if you can score that.

At one point when the kids were younger, we were using something like these blow up leg rests. They worked well for the kids. I am also short, so my dangling feet get super uncomfortable. You can inflate as much or as little as you like. You and your girls are tiny so I could see it maybe working for you, maybe even just 1? But it's an extra thing to carry, so you have to sorta weigh that.

View attachment 789254
I’m hoping that some business class seats open up.
I don’t want to pay for seats just yet, in case I can find some J awards.
Also, realizing that selecting a Safari in our price range will be difficult, I thought I would just go with the one on the Chase travel portal but now I’m having doubts.
Thankfully Andy shared his itinerary with me so I’m pretty much copying his trip. So the planning has been easy, just need more URs.

Hello friends! I am planning to buy a direct contract for Disneyland Hotel (~$37k) and wanted to get this group's opinion on which would be the best card for the purchase. From what it sounds like (from reading some posts), perhaps the Chase Sapphire Reserve (x3 travel) would be a good bet? I plan to pay the purchase off right away, so ability to carry a balance isn't as important.

I prefer Amex points (have plat and everyday), but I like Chase too. I have the Chase Sapphire (no AF, plain from a product change in 2018) and a Freedom Card already. I read earlier on this thread that I couldn't have any Sapphire in order to get the current promotion on the reserve.
If I had $37k spend I would split it between a Biz Plat and Biz Gold, or if you have a P2, then 2 Biz Plats and a Biz Gold. I would maximize the heck out of that spend. Unless of course you can’t split the payment. Then I guess just 1 Biz Plat. I personally wouldn’t put that spend on a Chase card if you value MRs. There are many ways to skin this cat. I would be looking to maximize every dollar in sign up bonuses.

P2 earned 5 Marriott FNCs last year with the SUB. He has booked the Swan Reserve for me and 2 grandkids starting Th night. They wouldn't let us add my name because they said he has to check in. So now I am starting to panic that they will not let me check in. There is an online check-in option. Should I just do that?

Definitely maximize the spend with multiple cards. The Amex business cards make a lot of sense if you value MR’s. Or the chase business cards over just an existing Reserve. Get the sign up bonuses! And if you have P2 you can both use it as an advantage.

Your guide should let you pay for the contract with multiple payments using multiple cards for different amounts. If he/she won’t let you talk to someone else. I have paid for direct with as little as $200 payments at a time. The only one payment you need to make is the 10% and closing costs you do initially.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter