I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

My parents were supposed to head to Northern Michigan tomorrow for ten days. Everything was booked on my dad's Platinum card I believe. My dad was just taken to the hospital by ambulance. I'm trying to distract myself and be practical while I wait to find out what's going on--it looks like there's some trip insurance on the Platinum card but wondering if anyone has any experience using it.
I am so sorry that happened! Hopefully you get some reassuring news soon - what a scary situation! My dad was airlifted off of a mountain last year due to a medical emergency and its incredibly hard to not be with them and get every piece of new info. My dad fully recovered and I will be hoping the same for yours!

Is 3 Free Nights a good reward rather than getting the points?

It depends on how you plan to use them. The Marriott Boundless SUB free nights are up to 50k and can be topped off with points up to 15k. They expire a year after you get them. They're great if there's somewhere you're planning on using them at within the year. If you get the 5 FNC bonus, that's potentially worth 250k Marriott points. Pretty sure there's never been a points SUB worth that much.

But for flexibility, points are better. They can be stored up and don't expire if you have any activity every 24 months. If you do 5 nights with points, you also get the 5th night free.

Is 3 Free Nights a good reward rather than getting the points?
Agree it depends. the 50,000 FNC are more valuable to me to spend at WDW. When DH got the 5 a few years ago we used them at the Swan at Disney, which even if doing 5th night free would probably have been at least 170,000 pts, based on my previous bookings there at 42,000-43,000 in less busy times. i have 2 Marriott credit cards which each give me a 35,000 free night every year and I can add points to those to use there also.

Agree it depends. the 50,000 FNC are more valuable to me to spend at WDW. When DH got the 5 a few years ago we used them at the Swan at Disney, which even if doing 5th night free would probably have been at least 170,000 pts, based on my previous bookings there at 42,000-43,000 in less busy times. i have 2 Marriott credit cards which each give me a 35,000 free night every year and I can add points to those to use there also.
Have you checked the points price for Swan and Dolphin lately? I believe I read that they are now 70,000 for at least some nights. Which would preclude from being able to use the 50k certs.

Have you checked the points price for Swan and Dolphin lately? I believe I read that they are now 70,000 for at least some nights. Which would preclude from being able to use the 50k certs.
I had 2 nights last Dec for low 40's (a Sun & Monday), and have one coming up Sept 3 for 43,000; cash price for Sept 4 was 162(+40+tax)

I booked June 1, the day my FNC was available, it now says 65,000 pts for Sept 3 but Sept 4th is only $204 for refundable AAA rate (resort fee included) or 49,000 pts

The 5 nights we did with the FNC in 2021 were a Sun-Friday, in September. I know how to work the system somewhat!

Last edited:

Thank you so much for sharing! All of this in the weeks before his first day of Kindergarten has been a lot to process.

Trip related- was thinking when we do a cruise from CA next year we may fly to San Diego ahead of time and then do the pacific surfliner up to the LA area. Anyone done that train trip? It looks neat!
I took the train from San Diego to Anaheim Several years ago. It was scenic and took the same amount of time that it would have taken if I drove it. I was at a work conference and then spent a few days at DL. Be sure to sit on the side that is near the coast for the best views.

I just made a mistake, so wanted to warn others incase someone else might have the same situation and not know the exact terms.

When Hotels.com changed their rewards program, we received a little over $100 of their one-key cash. I need to book a pre-cruise hotel, so decided I'd use up my one key cash on it. I needed about $100 more, so I bought a $100 gift card through the AmEx promo to spend $100 on a gift card, get $80 back.

When I went to book, if you use one key cash, the only other payment method you can combine with it is a credit card. So, now I'm going to have to book 2 hotels through them at some point - one with the one key cash and one to use my gift card - UGH!

Oh well, live and learn, but I'm kind of frustrated now trying to use these up!

I still have 4 Marriott credit cards. 3 of them are Amex, 1 of them is the old SPG Biz, 1 is the old SPG regular $95 card and the other is a downgraded Brilliant, now the 2nd $95 card. The other is the Chase Marriott Business card. There is nothing actually 'free' about this system, but they do reduce my road trip costs.

Because of these I mostly value points. I have considered canceling to try to get more SUB's and more points, but I'd be pretty much limited to Chase, or to 2 cards. Right now I get value out of what I've got and I've started off in different directions with Hilton, Hyatt and IHG.

But, if I were in the position to do so, I'd definitely take advantage of the 5 FNC bonus. It's the most lucrative single Marriott sign up bonus out there. If it were guaranteed to come around every two years I think it would be worth it to give up my personal Amex cards. I used to stay at Swan all the time and recently revisited in May for 2 nights. It was a good stay. Writing this out is making me think maybe I should consider going this route. I'm really slow to change things up so I'll probably be writing the same post next time the bonus comes around.

WOW! I never knew you can add points to your 35K FNC!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter