I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I posted yesterday about doing a couple of Inks for some medical spend we have coming up. Now I'm debating doing (1) of those for DH and (1) Hilton Biz Card for myself. I can't remember all of the Amex rules. You can't hold more than how many? I have 3, one is the SPG Biz so not sure if that counts, last one was Aspire 11/22.

My other question is, I've had trouble actually using the FNC because we are a family of 4. When I called to book the WA in Orlando, the rep said I could only use the FNC on double occupancy. I googled and that seemed correct. I actually wanted to use the FNC in the Keys, but it just won't work out that DH and I can get away that far between now and when the cert expires in January. Is there a work around for having more than 2 in the room?

Would appreciate any pointers!
Amex varies person to person whether they let you hold 4, 5 or 6 cards. I used to be at 5, but was recently rejected on a new application for even holding 4. Luckily, I had the ability to cancel two cards that were older than 1 year, which freed me up to apply for a new Hilton Biz (instant approval).

I just returned from a trip to Key West last weekend using my 3 FNC to book a Resort View Double at The Reach Key West. It's advertised as "Sleeps 4" (I was only traveling with 1 companion). As far as extending certificates, I've never been able to do that beyond the listed expiration date. If push comes to shove, you can always offer them to friends and family.

I posted yesterday about doing a couple of Inks for some medical spend we have coming up. Now I'm debating doing (1) of those for DH and (1) Hilton Biz Card for myself. I can't remember all of the Amex rules. You can't hold more than how many? I have 3, one is the SPG Biz so not sure if that counts, last one was Aspire 11/22.

My other question is, I've had trouble actually using the FNC because we are a family of 4. When I called to book the WA in Orlando, the rep said I could only use the FNC on double occupancy. I googled and that seemed correct. I actually wanted to use the FNC in the Keys, but it just won't work out that DH and I can get away that far between now and when the cert expires in January. Is there a work around for having more than 2 in the room?

Would appreciate any pointers!
Yikes! I previously used my FNC at a Conrad with 4 people and I was definitely planning to use my new ones for my family of 4.

Got fomo again.

App'ed for the Hilton Surpass card and was instantly approved. I'd been turned down for this card a year or two ago so thanks to Doc!

Edit: actually got the dreaded popup and abandoned the app.

Meanwhile, question? Number of cards from Amex? I now have 5 = 1 business and 4 personal. All are credit.

Does the limit I hear mentioned exclude business cards?

Last edited:
Got fomo again.

App'ed for the Hilton Surpass card and was instantly approved. I'd been turned down for this card a year or two ago so thanks to Doc!

Meanwhile, question? Number of cards from Amex? I now have 5 = 1 business and 4 personal. All are credit.

Does the limit I hear mentioned exclude business cards?
I had 5, then limited to 4 -- all 4 of mine are business cards. They do allow 10 charge cards (both business and personal) that are not factored into the 4-6 credit card limit.

Amex varies person to person whether they let you hold 4, 5 or 6 cards. I used to be at 5, but was recently rejected on a new application for even holding 4. Luckily, I had the ability to cancel two cards that were older than 1 year, which freed me up to apply for a new Hilton Biz (instant approval).

I'm curious when you were declined at 4 cc if you had canceled a card within a few months? Wondering if you're limited to 4 or if the canceled card hadn't dropped off.

I know for a period of time Amex was limiting some people to 4 (maybe a year or so ago?), but then they went back to 5.

looking to pick your brains-

excellent credit score seeking a no annual fee card that is offering some kind of decent welcome cashback bonus and points structure. interest is of no concern b/c i will turn around and pay the balance off immediatly. extended warranty protection would be a bonus as well. i'm looking for something better than my existing go-to card which would only do 1% cashback rewards/1 year extending warranty.

Had 90k UR points stolen yesterday. I have been waiting for a refund from my Scotland cancellation which hasn't posted. Yesterday when I checked my account, there was a debit of 90k UR points. My phone calls were frustrating with Chase yesterday. Points have not been returned yet. She had me change username and passwords. We'll see.

That timing would be tight to get the card in time to use on the trip. You could apply for it in November so you’d have it on time but make sure you don’t hit the MSR until after the December statement closes so the bonus points post in 2024
So to Confirm: because this is new info than what I originally remember being taught about the CP beginning of the year clear.
So she could apply for the SW performance on 11/20, which would be 92 days past when she would apply for CIP. put some spend on, like maybe 3K, over the course of December. and put the other 2K on it, through January which allow the MSR to be met in January at some point. Is the correct understanding, and that would still allow the CP to be correctly obtained?

Also, with that being the case, and we hit the MSR in January, when should she apply for the SW Plus?

Thanks Guys for always being awesome!

We'd be happy to help. Please refer to this post which has a list of questions which will help us best tailor our suggestions to your travel and earning style. Also, if you have another household member who is interested in the hobby, that info is helpful as well.
Thank you! I posted it last week, so I will find it and repost it!

I just returned from a trip to Key West last weekend using my 3 FNC to book a Resort View Double at The Reach Key West. It's advertised as "Sleeps 4" (I was only traveling with 1 companion). As far as extending certificates, I've never been able to do that beyond the listed expiration date. If push comes to shove, you can always offer them to friends and family.

Yikes! I previously used my FNC at a Conrad with 4 people and I was definitely planning to use my new ones for my family of 4.

Thank you both for the info. The room is for occupancy of 4, but when I called to actually book it the lady said you could only use a FNC for double occupancy. @DogCat you had to call in to book right? They didn't mention that? The verbage from Hilton agrees with what I was told. Maybe it's just not enforced. Wondering if I should just call back and see if someone will let me book it or just tell them there is only 2. Seems like a silly rule.

We haven't used the resort credit yet either, so I'd like to do Bull & Bear when we stay. Assuming that wouldn't be an issue. Just charge the meal to the room?

freenight.GIF

Thank you both for the info. The room is for occupancy of 4, but when I called to actually book it the lady said you could only use a FNC for double occupancy. @DogCat you had to call in to book right? They didn't mention that? The verbage from Hilton agrees with what I was told. Maybe it's just not enforced. Wondering if I should just call back and see if someone will let me book it or just tell them there is only 2. Seems like a silly rule.

We haven't used the resort credit yet either, so I'd like to do Bull & Bear when we stay. Assuming that wouldn't be an issue. Just charge the meal to the room?

View attachment 779015
I wish I could remember the details but I only remember calling in to try to have the certificate extended. They were willing to extend it one time for maybe a week and that gave me the chance to use it at the Conrad. I believe I booked it on the phone with the person who extended it. I was not aware of any rule for double occupancy so I would have said 4 people had they asked me. Maybe they just didn't ask. It was a standard room with 2 Queens.

Had 90k UR points stolen yesterday. I have been waiting for a refund from my Scotland cancellation which hasn't posted. Yesterday when I checked my account, there was a debit of 90k UR points. My phone calls were frustrating with Chase yesterday. Points have not been returned yet. She had me change username and passwords. We'll see.
This is the first time I have heard of URs stolen. Could Chase tell you if it was a person or something Chase did to claw back? If someone hacked your account why take only 90,000 points and not all? Hoping it was an account mixup and they get them back to you!

View attachment 779015

Interesting that it's in the terms. I've never had an issue booking 2 adults and 2 children as long as the room allows. Recent redemption was the WA Beverly Hills booked in January. Just checked the confirmation and I did book as 2A/2C. I would call again.

looking to pick your brains-

excellent credit score seeking a no annual fee card that is offering some kind of decent welcome cashback bonus and points structure. interest is of no concern b/c i will turn around and pay the balance off immediatly. extended warranty protection would be a bonus as well. i'm looking for something better than my existing go-to card which would only do 1% cashback rewards/1 year extending warranty.

I'm new to this thread so not an expert but I will say that I just applied for the Wells Fargo Active Cash credit card and it gives 2% cashback on everything and a $200 bonus with no annual fee. I plan to use it on everything that my Discover 5% quarterly rotating categories don't cover for cashback.

View attachment 779015
That's interesting, we used our FNC with 2A/2C, I used the chat feature to make the reservation since the FNC was in DH's name.

Hi again! I wanted to see if anyone has any advice on how to further maximize my savings on a cruise I have booked. Remaining balance on the cruise is $4209. So far, this is my plan:

• Get 7% off remaining cruise balance by buying discounted 5% off Disney Gift Cards with my 2% cashback Wells Fargo Active Cash credit card (-$294.63)
  • $102 onboard credit from using a travel agent (-$102)
  • Signed up for Wells Fargo Active Cash credit card which gives $200 bonus after spending 500 (-$200)
  • For the next year, use Wells Fargo Active Cash credit card for 2% cashback everything and Discover Cashback for 5% cashback rotating quarterly categories (expect to get at least -$500 if not more)
= Total savings of $1347.63

If I sign both my husband and I up for the Wells Fargo Active Cash and the Disney Visa, then I could get an additional 251 from Disney Visa bonus and 200 bonus from Wells Fargo and $100 from Disney Visa referral to spouse...(-$551 more combined). Any drawback to having us both sign up separately to get double the bonus amounts? Can I be an authorized user on one and also have my own credit card account simultaneously?

Any other "hacks" I should consider? I looked into the Chase Sapphire cards but I would have to spend $4,000 in 3 months to get the bonus which is doable especially if I wait until Christmas/ DVC dues time/ annual pass renewal time etc. but I would rather not spend it all at once. I also didn't like that it won't give me cashback on many useful categories for daily spending. I figure I can maybe apply for the Sapphire for another expensive trip in the future.

So to Confirm: because this is new info than what I originally remember being taught about the CP beginning of the year clear.
So she could apply for the SW performance on 11/20, which would be 92 days past when she would apply for CIP. put some spend on, like maybe 3K, over the course of December. and put the other 2K on it, through January which allow the MSR to be met in January at some point. Is the correct understanding, and that would still allow the CP to be correctly obtained?

Also, with that being the case, and we hit the MSR in January, when should she apply for the SW Plus?

Thanks Guys for always being awesome!
with the CP 135,000RR points have to post in the same calendar year, so if you want it for 2024 and 2025…they all must post in 2024. You can apply for the card on 11/20, but just be sure not to hit the MSR until 2024 to be safe. For the SW plus sometime in January should be good

No, the US shows are all over $1,000 each for resold tickets. I figured it would be less expensive out of pocket to purchase EU show tickets on sale day and fly overseas on an award flight and stay in a hotel using points or a FN cert than it would be to see the show here.

The cheapest seats for the next two shows on a Saturday here in the US are over $1,000 per ticket in the nosebleed sections. If I wanted the floor section that I got tickets for in Germany, I would be paying over $4,000 per ticket. My tickets for the show in Munich were $277 USD each.
So exciting!!! Love seeing those floor prices! I will be trying at 3 am in the morning to get tickets in Paris. I got up this morning, but decided not to try today since it was for a Friday show. You would think I could have realized that BEFORE I got up at 2:30!

This is the first time I have heard of URs stolen. Could Chase tell you if it was a person or something Chase did to claw back? If someone hacked your account why take only 90,000 points and not all? Hoping it was an account mixup and they get them back to you!
It is very strange. They didn't give me details of what was booked and I couldn't find any details on my dashboard, only that 90K (and change) points and been redeemed for a flight. Coded as CLT (which is Chase travel).
I am anticipating 141K points from the refund. So, that does not seem to be related.

So exciting!!! Love seeing those floor prices! I will be trying at 3 am in the morning to get tickets in Paris. I got up this morning, but decided not to try today since it was for a Friday show. You would think I could have realized that BEFORE I got up at 2:30!
Oh good luck to you! Hope you get them! I didn’t register for Paris because the dates weren’t going to work for me. Would have preferred a UK show but a weekend in Germany should be fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter