I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Congrats on the Taylor Swift code! Do you mind sharing how you got it? Dd really, really, really wants to see her, but I won't pay over $1,000.00 for a ticket, plus airfare and hotel. I tried to get tickets to her show in Sydney through AmEx, but they told me Ahead of the Line was only for AU AmEx cardholders. But I digress.

I searched for hotels in Munich and ended up settling on the Platzl. I got ds a smaller room and I booked the largest for myself. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the breakfast was very nice (not the best we've had, but far from the worst) and the location was outstanding. I would definitely stay there again. It is kitty-corner to the Hofbrauhaus, 1 street away from the high-end shopping area and 2-3 min walk from the main square (where the subway station is located). There is also a wash n' fold a 5 min walk from the hotel. I found the hotel to be an outstanding value. There was a hiccup with the final bill (had to do with the included breakfast that was charged to 1 room), but that was easily straightened out. Staff was extremely helpful; there isn't a concierge, so if that is something that you find useful it might influence your decision. The few times I asked the front desk staff for a recommendation they were very helpful. The hotel was very busy when we were there, but noise was never an issue (I asked for, and received, a quiet room).

Thanks for the info!

Thanks! Yes, that's what I was thinking. I was unsuccessful at getting the tickets for the US tour at each opportunity. Yup, those resale tickets are over $1000 for nosebleed seats. I decided to try my luck at getting a presale code for some of the dates during her international tour. I registered for the presale when the International tour dates were announced. I got a presale code for Germany and got waitlist for the UK shows and when the tickets for the Munich show went on sale last week, was successful in getting floor tickets.

Last edited:
We're expecting some $$ medical bills within the next month, probably at least $10k. I was thinking I should maximize and open a new card or two. We don't have any big travel plans, but I wouldn't mind replenishing some UR's. I have an Ink Pref. from 2017 and DH has one from the same time frame. I'm wondering about getting one (or heck both of us) a second one. You can do that right? Do I need to cancel or downgrade the first one? Looks like we could do a referral one to another?

Does seem like a good option to earn some points? Any other ideas?
You don't need to cancel to apply for the new ones, you should each get one. I would cancel the old one so you don't pay for 2 AFs, or you could downgrade them to CIC/CIU but that would require a phone call. You can cancel via SM.

I put in for the Wyndham match (hilton diamond) last week. once that comes thru how do you do the cruise match?
thanks
You cant status match to Caesars that way, which is what is needed for the cruise line. Wyndham will match you to Diamond, but Cesaers will refuse the match. You have to achieve Wyndham Diamond via the Wyndham Biz card which is a Barclays card. Once you have Wyndham Diamond via the CC, you can match to Caesars and then to carnival and Holland!

I’ll probably start paying closer attention to TDR as our trip gets closer. I’m too focused on Germany right now and feeling slightly unprepared for that trip and I don’t even know why lol

I know the feeling. I do really well with one trip to plan. I'm ok with two, but we have quite a few in the planning stage at the moment and it's pretty overwhelming for me. Luckily one is local, so not hard to plan for that one.

For those that have gone for the elevated Hilton SUB, what are you doing with those points and FNC?

DH and I will each be applying for a card, so we'll have 300K + 2 FNC.

Going to Disney World in April, already have reservations that we could change. But don't have any other big trips where we could take advantage of the FNC.

We've used the FNCs at the WA in Del Mar, the WA in Wailea, and the WA in Cabo. If you see a pattern there you wouldn't be wrong. :rotfl: I hope to book the WA in Amsterdam next, but I'm not sure our dates will line up with our FNCs. If you can find a way to use them in Orlando, I think it's a good deal.

This made me LOL We all know there's no wrong way to churn, but I never thought about Marie Kondo style churning :laughing:

Marie Kondo would not approve of the number of credit cards and Visa GCs all over my house. :rotfl2:

So I feel like I can share this here and you'll all understand. When I first found this thread (or a different one) way back in 2016 and we all got the CSR 100k I made my now ex, started the CC game. We got married when I was 19. He "was smarter" than me and older than me, so I just defaulted finances to him. Plus he is a CPA and has a masters in accounting. Well it wasn't until our divorce I realized how bad he was with money. We still have a joint bank acct w/ like $5 in it. What I didn't realize is having that account together pulls up his bank account statements too. OOOps! I just looked through his statement (partly because I've been debating having my child support recalculated since our 18yo fell off, but I still pay insurance for her). I knew he was looking into a HELOC or refi because I was getting all the calls on it. Well it looks like he did it. And then used the money ($35k) to pay down credit card balances!!! When we started this game, I was always paying off my balances monthly. My cards were legit for my business and other expenses at the time. He was carrying balances on "our" cards, family spending. I told him we HAD to pay off our balances monthly if we were playing this game. When we got divorced we each got a chunk of money (as we had just refi'd the house to put in a pool, we didn't do the pool, we got a divorce, LOL). We also split the CC debt, $8k each. I opened up $0/0% cards and floated around the $8k for a few years until I finally paid it off with the money I had in the bank from the divorce.

Seeing his current finances, and knowing now what it takes to live "our" lifestyle (I kept the house), I'm sickened at how much money of our he wasted over the years married. It's also driven home the fact that I really need to sit our kids down and teach them how to be smart with their money and finances, investing and playing this game. I just really was in awe of how bad he's let his spending get since we've been divorced. I'm sure some may say I violated him....I honestly pulled up the most recent statement for our "joint" account to see if his name was still on it, and instead it pulled up our joint statement and his solo. This is also on him for being too lazy to remove himself from the joint account. Hell I think I'm still on 1/2 of his credit cards because he never removed me (hence why I was getting the refi calls). He makes more than me, and his condo is less than my mortgage payment. He used to yell at me about my spending (on things we needed) but then be like, hey....let's go buy $400 sunglasses. UGH. If nothing else it made me feel REALLY good at what I've accomplished these last 5 years divorced!

For those that have gone for the elevated Hilton SUB, what are you doing with those points and FNC?

DH and I will each be applying for a card, so we'll have 300K + 2 FNC.

Going to Disney World in April, already have reservations that we could change. But don't have any other big trips where we could take advantage of the FNC.
We use ours at all inclusives. I'm really hoping my BF does the HH card tonight, so he earns one. We like the Hilton in Playa Del Carmen.

I put in for the Wyndham match (hilton diamond) last week. once that comes thru how do you do the cruise match?
thanks
I think there was a website to submit for matching w/ carnival and holland.

Okay, I haven't read further yet, so I'm like, 'yeah, it's your (Ceasars) fault because 'your' (Ceasar's) guest impacted my stay.

That said, I think a token effort such as waiving your $60 room charges was reasonable. Especially as most of the guests from the previous night would have been elsewhere, gone back home or not necessarily impacted.

Good Will gestures often go a lot further than their cost. They put a positive spin on the business which can last for a long time such as when I stayed in my favorite oceanfront hotel and a jerk pulled the fire alarm which resulted in an evacuation. We received a gift letter for XXX$ towards a nice dinner. That was 2001 and I'm still telling people the story (hopefully not the same people repeatedly).
We saw Harry Styles in Chicago in October. The building across from our room was having a party. Hyatt refunded my points for our stay because of that! They asked at checkout how our stay was and I shared about the noise and they said, call this number, we'll take care of it! Last month when we were in Mexico, we drank too much and needed to stay one more day. It was a nightmare getting the new room. But we understood as we booked it at 4am! They let me stay in our current room WAY past check out till the new room was ready. They couldn't keep us in the current as it was a king and needed. But they also waived all our fees because of the time it took to straighten out the switch. Like you, I remember every time a company has gone over and above. The room charge was even from the buffet! Which I honestly ate very little at! He's like the volume you ate alone, saved them $60 vs other guests (it was seafood which I don't eat).

Thanks for the info!

Thanks! Yes, that's what I was thinking. I was unsuccessful at getting the tickets for the US tour at each opportunity. Yup, those resale tickets are over $1000 for nosebleed seats. I decided to try my luck at getting a presale code for some of the dates during her international tour. I registered for the presale when the International tour dates were announced. I got a presale code for Germany and got waitlist for the UK shows and when the tickets for the Munich show went on sale last week, was successful in getting floor tickets.
Are you saying EU shows are listed for $1k+? We sold 4 of our 6 Taylor tickets for detroit. My BF freaked out and sold 3 very early and cheap. But the last one was a "lesson" to my daughter, so we listed it at an INSANE $2k the day before the show. And it sold! ONE TICKET! We were going to try and buy EU tickets, but my friend warned me they really come after the resale market there. She was trying for tickets, but first got denied because her TM account wasn't allowing international purchases. Then got denied by her CC.

Just a reminder that tomorrow is the last day (at least based on the website) for the elevated Hilton offers:

https://apply.americanexpress.com/en-us/hilton-cobrand-lto-april23/page/92

I just got my 4th Hilton Biz today (2 for LLC, 2 for SP) :)
When was your last one? And the same LLC and SP? I just got mine in June, so I'm thinking there's no way I can go for #2, is there? I'm a SP, but I just got #2 (#1 was cancelled back in 2020). I'd LOVE another FNC, LOL. My SP is my photography business. But legally I file a Schedule C for 2 companies (essential oils too). I'm wondering if I could get a card for that in just my name. LOL.

Everything I've seen shows pop up with referral and instant approval with doc link.
HUGE thank you for this! Applied for dd earlier tonight on the AmEx website and got the pop-up. Just applied with the DoC link and instant approval! I'll review my cards / strategy tomorrow to see if I apply for either the Surpass or regular card (I have to save a slot for the Chase Aeroplan card early in 2024).

OK friends, I need help!

I just found out that I can pay my daughter's tuition on a cc for 2.3% fee. She's out of state so we are looking at around $16,000 due in the next month.

We both were approved for cards 7/1 and DH has $1500 left on his SW MSR, I have $5000 left on a CIU MSR, and I have $3000 for a AMex retention offer. So that leaves about $6000 that we need a different card or cards for.

DH was approved for the SW personal card on 7/1. I'd like him to get the business card to earn a CP that we would use in December for a family trip to California . When is the soonest that he could apply for the SW business card if he was approved for the SW personal on 7/1?

Any other ideas for what card or cards we should go for with that last $6000 in tuition?

When is the soonest that he could apply for the SW business card if he was approved for the SW personal on 7/1?
Likely 7/31 so that you avoid exceeding 1 application per 30 days since its a business card you're targeting.

Chase Ink Preferred is still running their reduced MSR of 8k promotion: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/DAO/ink-business/universal/preferred/8k

If either of you have not yet opened a vanilla Plat/Gold charge card with Amex, the Resy offers are good: https://resy.com/amex-offers

Elevated Hilton Business offer (150k+FNC for 4k spend) good through tomorrow: https://apply.americanexpress.com/en-us/hilton-cobrand-lto-april23/page/92

Wyndham Business Earner: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/banking/cards/wyndham-rewards-earner-business-card/

Are you saying EU shows are listed for $1k+? We sold 4 of our 6 Taylor tickets for detroit. My BF freaked out and sold 3 very early and cheap. But the last one was a "lesson" to my daughter, so we listed it at an INSANE $2k the day before the show. And it sold! ONE TICKET! We were going to try and buy EU tickets, but my friend warned me they really come after the resale market there. She was trying for tickets, but first got denied because her TM account wasn't allowing international purchases. Then got denied by her CC.
No, the US shows are all over $1,000 each for resold tickets. I figured it would be less expensive out of pocket to purchase EU show tickets on sale day and fly overseas on an award flight and stay in a hotel using points or a FN cert than it would be to see the show here.

The cheapest seats for the next two shows on a Saturday here in the US are over $1,000 per ticket in the nosebleed sections. If I wanted the floor section that I got tickets for in Germany, I would be paying over $4,000 per ticket. My tickets for the show in Munich were $277 USD each.

Were you able to get the SUB for both SP cards? I just got the pop up saying I wasn't eligible for it since I received it previously.
Yes, but only if you are able to get the application through without the pop up. It's one of those YMMV things. You can always try again later without the elevated promotion or when a different elevated offer comes along.

I’ve decided that I’m going to get the business card (approved this morning)
DH is 3/24, he’ll get the Surpass
Then I’ll spend $15k on the Business, should be easy since our roof is $12k
That should get us 3 FNC, plus all the points. That should be enough for 6 free nights at WA or Conrad in Orlando.
I decided to just grab the biz offer this am b/c I wanted to finish up this tax spend- instant approval (no idea why) but now I can settle down and wait for something new to come along that really appeals and I can make it work! (I'll have no problem using Hh points and free night)

I posted yesterday about doing a couple of Inks for some medical spend we have coming up. Now I'm debating doing (1) of those for DH and (1) Hilton Biz Card for myself. I can't remember all of the Amex rules. You can't hold more than how many? I have 3, one is the SPG Biz so not sure if that counts, last one was Aspire 11/22.

My other question is, I've had trouble actually using the FNC because we are a family of 4. When I called to book the WA in Orlando, the rep said I could only use the FNC on double occupancy. I googled and that seemed correct. I actually wanted to use the FNC in the Keys, but it just won't work out that DH and I can get away that far between now and when the cert expires in January. Is there a work around for having more than 2 in the room?

Would appreciate any pointers!

You don't need to cancel to apply for the new ones, you should each get one. I would cancel the old one so you don't pay for 2 AFs, or you could downgrade them to CIC/CIU but that would require a phone call. You can cancel via SM.
Thanks so much! I did a referral from myself to DH. Got the review message. We do have a business with FEIN, but I just did Sole Prop and SS#. It seems like last time I had to get DH to call in so I was hoping to avoid that. Fingers crossed it goes through without too much trouble.

When I called to book the WA in Orlando, the rep said I could only use the FNC on double occupancy.
I’ve used a FNC at WA Orlando on 2 separate occasions for a 2 queen bed room with 4 people on the reservation. In fact, every room I’ve booked anywhere has been with 4 people. That person was mistaken.

ETA: The only reason I could see it being an issue is if the room you’re trying to book only allows double occupancy. For instance in Europe most rooms are only double or triple occupancy so I wouldn’t expect to be able to add 4 people to the reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter