I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, that is one option I'm considering. DH has heart set on a Virgin cruise and he's digging in on that, so who knows where we'll end up, vacation-wise.
Another vote for Greece by land. It's not so scorching hot and it's lower season.

Those are some really good consolation options- I hope you'll find something you'll be happy with. Not too long ago I found lots of flight availability with Flying Blue for the fall, even over Thanksgiving, so hopefully you'll find flights that will work with your new cruise, if that's the route you take.

I'm sorry this happened. Travel has become so difficult these days. I'm assuming there are no other Virgin cruises in the Med at that time, so have you considered either a land only trip for your dates or looking at another line? If you don't want to be in Greece the entire time you have all of Europe a short flight away. I know how hard it can be to get those TA flights with points.

Well there is one other cruise that is a match for my dates, out of Barcelona. So that's an option, maybe...

Rebooked one of my sw flights to visit dd for Family Weekend in ATL and saved 2,500 RR points. Then booked dd tickets for Fall break for 8,700 RR points. She's taking her car down but I think she'll only bring it home for Christmas break. And I may fly down to drive back with her.

Don’t forget that tomorrow is the last day to apply for the elevated Amex Gold SUB - 90,000 + $250 restaurant credit.
And the Plat with the 150,000 + 10x points at restaurants.
Well, I probably missed my window since it's 8pm but how do you get that plat offer?

As I sit on hold with Virgin Voyages, I'm reminded of the good old days when travel was easier and fun. :(

Remember when you could buy an AP to the World and just go whenever, with no reservation? I digress.

I think we have a new Virgin plan now - book a short cruise next month out of Miami, using partial credit to trigger the other "free" cruise in 2022. Move the original Greek booking to the one out of Barcelona in October for "free." Take the 200% remaining credit and book Greece (again) for 2023. Instead of flying into BCN, fly into Madrid and explore that part of Spain, which was on my travel to-do list anyway.

Let's hope this works. Then it's on to figuring out what to do with flights. Change the Greek flights to Spain. Find availability to Miami and plan a card strategy to get miles for first class NEXT year to Greece. Good lord. That can be a tomorrow problem.

I just received instant approval for the Gold with 90K. Unfortunately, I had to use a random support link. I was not able to pull it up with any of the Dis Reddit links and I spent 30+ minutes trying multiple members' links on multiple browsers and incognito browsers. Sorry friends, I tried to help one of our own. I was able to pull up the 150K plat several times both on regular browser and incognito, but I can't generate the spend naturally and am not willing to venture into the MS world right now. I am now 5/24 until September. Luckily, 1 will drop off in Sept and 1 more in Oct because I am going to need 2 slots for my SW cards later this year/early next year. It's hard to believe I am almost 24 months into this hobby.

Welp I've got a travel pickle now. Today Virgin Voyages pushed back the entire sailing season for Resilient Lady (their newest ship) which means my Greece cruise in October got canceled. I booked it well over a year ago. Flights have been booked for ages via points (of course). The cancelation reason is the supply chain and lack of staffing issues.

Virgin is offering a full refund of course or a 200% future cruise credit through 2023. Also, if you cruise somewhere this year you get a cruise for free too, basically (the wording is complicated but that's how it seems to read to most folks on Cruise Critic as well).

Finding new flights to somewhere else in Europe will be a nightmare at this point - airfare prices are so high and award availability has been snatched up. I am glad I do have points to fall back on... but this is a pretty big disappointment and hassle.

Also, there's an Adventure by Disney Greece trip for my exact travel dates but it's $15k and that seems... excessive.

Yep, that is one option I'm considering. DH has heart set on a Virgin cruise and he's digging in on that, so who knows where we'll end up, vacation-wise.

As I sit on hold with Virgin Voyages, I'm reminded of the good old days when travel was easier and fun. :(

Remember when you could buy an AP to the World and just go whenever, with no reservation? I digress.

I think we have a new Virgin plan now - book a short cruise next month out of Miami, using partial credit to trigger the other "free" cruise in 2022. Move the original Greek booking to the one out of Barcelona in October for "free." Take the 200% remaining credit and book Greece (again) for 2023. Instead of flying into BCN, fly into Madrid and explore that part of Spain, which was on my travel to-do list anyway.

Let's hope this works. Then it's on to figuring out what to do with flights. Change the Greek flights to Spain. Find availability to Miami and plan a card strategy to get miles for first class NEXT year to Greece. Good lord. That can be a tomorrow problem.

The comps sounds pretty awesome. I understand your DH wanting to do Virgin. We sailed with them in December out of Miami and then booked the Barcelona Irresistible Med cruise for 2023 and are planning to book the Greek Isles cruise with them for 2024.

Things have definitely been more challenging travel wise. I'm just glad travel is happening again, even with the added hurdles and unexpected changes. I'm sure you will be able to work out the kinks and salvage your vacation into something new and great since it sounds like you are off to a great start. :thumbsup2

I just received instant approval for the Gold with 90K. Unfortunately, I had to use a random support link. I was not able to pull it up with any of the Dis Reddit links and I spent 30+ minutes trying multiple members' links on multiple browsers and incognito browsers. Sorry friends, I tried to help one of our own. I was able to pull up the 150K plat several times both on regular browser and incognito, but I can't generate the spend naturally and am not willing to venture into the MS world right now. I am now 5/24 until September. Luckily, 1 will drop off in Sept and 1 more in Oct because I am going to need 2 slots for my SW cards later this year/early next year. It's hard to believe I am almost 24 months into this hobby.
Ugh. I kept trying support links too but never got 90,000. Such a bummer, would have loved to support someone!

I don't have my eyes on any Chase cards at the moment but for fun I figured I'd check my 5/24 status. I'm at 10/24.

Oops.

I got to 8/24 before I had to sit back a bit. That involved opening 4 cards in about a month back in 2018, so I'm long since well below 5/24. Time flies!

Hopefully you got all the best performers.

Are you doing Biz cards? I do a tiny bit of selling and call it a business, but I don't go all out. I mostly stay organic., although I buy a lot of visa and mastercard gift cards with a 5% card that gives me ultimate rewards. I then use the cards for groceries and a few incidentals, but mostly groceries.

Soooo- CSR TC reset timing...... Please help me keep this straight....I see the AF charge hit on 6/1- but statement doesn't close until 6/10- so TC doesn't reset until the 11th? Is this correct? Or do I have my dates wrong?

I got to 8/24 before I had to sit back a bit. That involved opening 4 cards in about a month back in 2018, so I'm long since well below 5/24. Time flies!

Hopefully you got all the best performers.

Are you doing Biz cards? I do a tiny bit of selling and call it a business, but I don't go all out. I mostly stay organic., although I buy a lot of visa and mastercard gift cards with a 5% card that gives me ultimate rewards. I then use the cards for groceries and a few incidentals, but mostly groceries.
No business cards for me. Current lineup:

AMEX Gold - Currently working SUB, 4% dining, 4% groceries
US Bank Cash+ - 5% on utilities and Internet
Ollo Optimum - 2.5% on everything, no AF (invitation only)
Barclays JetBlue Plus - For JetBlue flights only
AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - 6% groceries
Discover - 5% rotating
Wells Fargo Propel - 3% hotels, will become my 3% dining card if I cancel AMEX Gold
Citi Custom Cash - 5% gas
Chase Prime - 5% Amazon
BoA Custom Cash - 3% online shopping

Last edited:
Soooo- CSR TC reset timing...... Please help me keep this straight....I see the AF charge hit on 6/1- but statement doesn't close until 6/10- so TC doesn't reset until the 11th? Is this correct? Or do I have my dates wrong?
Correct, TC resets after statement close. If you charge on 6/11, should post and credit by 6/21 or so. You will have plenty of time to cancel/product change and get annual fee reimbursed.

Question, do Office Depot/Staples online orders code 5X like in the store? I think I'm going to get the BF a blackstone knock off from Sam's for his 40th. Figured I might as well go the giftcard route to buy it, lol. I have to order the grill itself online, so I just want to know if I buy the e-giftcard online if it codes 5x. I just basically want to save myself a trip to the store if I can, LOL.

Question, do Office Depot/Staples online orders code 5X like in the store? I think I'm going to get the BF a blackstone knock off from Sam's for his 40th. Figured I might as well go the giftcard route to buy it, lol. I have to order the grill itself online, so I just want to know if I buy the e-giftcard online if it codes 5x. I just basically want to save myself a trip to the store if I can, LOL.
Gift card purchases come home a different site.

Hi! I’m hoping for some SW advice please. I just checked in for our flights to Orlando tomorrow morning and we received very early B for our flight into Orlando. We’re a family of 4. What are the odds we’ll be able to sit together on the Orlando flight? My kiddos are 11 and 8 (almost 9) so too old for family boarding. We did purchase EBCI a while back, but it didn’t seem to help too much in this case. I have both the SW Plus and Premier cards, I was wondering if maybe I should PC the Premier to the Priority card for the 4 free upgraded boardings and $75 travel credit, and hopefully use those to upgrade our boarding position. Would that work? If I do that today, would it take effect by tomorrow morning? Thank you for any advice!

Additional note- we had purchased the EBCI for 3 of us, I did not purchase for my DD8, who’s my companion, and she got a boarding position with the rest of us. I was worried about that so I checked her in right at 24 hours but I don’t think I needed to. I know there’s been some discussion on if it’s needed to purchase EBCI for companions so in our case it worked to not buy it.

Correct, TC resets after statement close. If you charge on 6/11, should post and credit by 6/21 or so. You will have plenty of time to cancel/product change and get annual fee reimbursed.
thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter