• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Credit Card GURUs!

Bottom Line Up Front: Looking to get the best promo on the Chase Southwest Priority Card (mainly for the free A-list upgrades, but the perks will make up the $0-149 annual fee for me...I'm active duty military, so Chase might offer the card with no annual fee for my service). Is there anything better than 40,000 miles right now?

My Cards (last 24 months that I can remember):
09/20 - CITI BestBuy Credit Card (great offer for our TV :) )
10/20 - PenFed Credit Card (spouse as well)
10/21 - AMEX Hilton Aspire
04/22 - CHASE Sapphire Reserve (spouse as well)

2) Secondly we'll want to know a little bit about you. Specifically - what you spend, and what you want to earn!
  • What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly (i.e. groceries, gas, insurance, cable, cell phone, other expenses)?
    • Minimum to get the bonus, and then probably just Southwest purchases unless I was angling for extra points.
  • Do you currently payoff your CCs in full every month or do you carry any balances/pay any interest?
    • Yes
  • What airport(s) do you typically fly out of?
    • DCA, but will be moving over to SMF, OAK, and SFO this summer
  • Do you have a preference of Frequent Flyer program?
    • Southwest, Delta, American, United...in that order
  • Does SOUTHWEST Airline service your airport?
    • Yes
  • Do you have a Hotel Rewards program preference?
    • Hilton, Marriott, IHG...in that order
  • Do you currently have travel points or miles in any program? (if so, which programs and how much)
    • Yes, various amount in each of those.
  • What at your specific goals for churning credit cards? (i.e. Disney World Trip, Cruise, European Trip, Cash Back to pay-off a mortgage or student loans, etc. - you can have multiple goals too!)
    • Perks, and Points for future travel (CSR will likely be my go-to going forward)
  • When do you plan to take these trips? (Keep in mind that it can be difficult to earn points/miles to cover imminent travel...it's best to plan far in advance, especially with regards to international travel)
    • No clue :)
  • Who does your travel party consist of? (Spouse, Kids (& ages), other relatives/friends)
    • Spouse, and 3 little kiddos (4th on the way!!)

Cheers and Thanks!
Dom
There was a 50k in-flight offer, but I'm not sure if that's still around. It looks like you're 4/24. If it was me, I wouldn't use my last Chase slot for the 40k offer, especially since SW seems to increase offers fairly often. If you do anything that qualifies as a small business, the SW biz card has an 80k offer but the benefits are different.

Question on AmEx offers - DH referred DS to a gold card from his platinum card to earn bonus points awhile back. If DS has an offer on his card that DH had already used, can he use it too?

Just FYI on Chase UR between household members-my husband was able to get Chase to move his UR's to my balance via SM... no phone call! Yay!

I haven't looked yet at his account to see if mine shows up there for future transfers, but I am guessing he is going to close his card next month anyway so possibly moot.

I was just at Staples to get VGC's and noticed that they now have a sign out that they do TSA Pre-Check there. I have never seen it before so it must be something new. If you don't have a pre-check place around locally or it's booked, maybe call your Staples and see if they are participating. No idea if it will be all stores or just some. We only have 2 Staples in a town of about 300K.
Staples is actually where we’ve gone to get ours done. It’s a small cubicle and a Staples employee does it. It’s not our closest Staples so it’s definitely dependent on area.

My DH and I went first and it coded as TSA precheck. When I just took DD hers coded as Identigo. I’m hoping it credits…if not, I guess I’ll need to call.

I called reconsideration and she said my application had to go to a lender for manual review so I am pretty sure It will be a denial, hoping that is all that happens since I have quite a few Chase cards.
You could try HUCA (hang up call again) now that a few hours have passed. Sometimes nothing has happened to the application so there's nothing for a rep to do. But trying again you might get a better rep or there's more info now that they can work with. If you really want the card it can't hurt to try recon one more time.

I bought a dishwasher online at Costco, sale ends 5/11. The charge is pending on my CIU 5/6, I see a credit for that amount dated today. My order still shows in my Costco account, I have no email from them canceling my order. I'm counting on this to meet my MSR. Should I be worried?

Hi Credit Card GURUs!

Bottom Line Up Front: Looking to get the best promo on the Chase Southwest Priority Card (mainly for the free A-list upgrades, but the perks will make up the $0-149 annual fee for me...I'm active duty military, so Chase might offer the card with no annual fee for my service). Is there anything better than 40,000 miles right now?

2) Secondly we'll want to know a little bit about you. Specifically - what you spend, and what you want to earn!
  • What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly (i.e. groceries, gas, insurance, cable, cell phone, other expenses)?
    • Minimum to get the bonus, and then probably just Southwest purchases unless I was angling for extra points.
  • Do you currently payoff your CCs in full every month or do you carry any balances/pay any interest?
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Do you currently have travel points or miles in any program? (if so, which programs and how much)
  • What at your specific goals for churning credit cards? (i.e. Disney World Trip, Cruise, European Trip, Cash Back to pay-off a mortgage or student loans, etc. - you can have multiple goals too!)
    • Perks, and Points for future travel (CSR will likely be my go-to going forward)
  • When do you plan to take these trips? (Keep in mind that it can be difficult to earn points/miles to cover imminent travel...it's best to plan far in advance, especially with regards to international travel)
  • Who does your travel party consist of? (Spouse, Kids (& ages), other relatives/friends)

Cheers and Thanks!
Dom
Specifically for the SW personal cards, there's a fairly consistent offer of 50k/2k as an in-flight promo. So if you are flying SW soon or know anyone that is, you have been able to email yourself the promotion link to apply later. Some airports had the offer in the past so even if you're not flying SW but passing through the terminal might be worth a look.

US CC Guide tracks sign up offers for many cards. You can generally see a pattern to SW offers where a few times a year they up the bonuses. For the last couple years around June/July they had higher offers, 60k-65k instead of the typical 40k.

https://www.uscreditcardguide.com/chase-southwest-priority-credit-card

If you can wait a bit you might get a better offer. Since Chase has the 24 month restriction between bonuses on any SW personal card, if it's not urgent I'd see what happens in a few weeks.

There's also the SW Biz cards which are separate from personal cards for bonus timing. You can get a personal card and both business cards at the same time. (I don't recommend getting all three at once since they all also have 24 months between bonuses, but you could. Each business card is counted as a separate product whereas the personal cards are considered a "family" which means getting one personal locks you out of the other personals for 24 months.) But business cards would not be eligible for your military waiver of fees. They do offer higher bonuses so you'd want to do the math to see if paying the fee is worth it.

Looking at your CCs, have a question about the CSR you just got, did you and your spouse each get a CSR or is your spouse an AU on the card? If your spouse doesn't have a Sapphire card of their own, the CSP has a high offer currently. In a worse case scenario you could transfer UR 1:1 to SW for booking if needed. But in general it's not a bad card to look at to generate more UR points, assuming your spouse is also under 5/24 as your list suggests. (And there's a strategy to get both Sapphires depending on your risk tolerance.)

You could try HUCA (hang up call again) now that a few hours have passed. Sometimes nothing has happened to the application so there's nothing for a rep to do. But trying again you might get a better rep or there's more info now that they can work with. If you really want the card it can't hurt to try recon one more time.
I just tried again and was told the same thing, that it is pending review and I will hear in 1-2 weeks.

Staples is actually where we’ve gone to get ours done. It’s a small cubicle and a Staples employee does it. It’s not our closest Staples so it’s definitely dependent on area.

My DH and I went first and it coded as TSA precheck. When I just took DD hers coded as Identigo. I’m hoping it credits…if not, I guess I’ll need to call.
Ours credited within 5 days, Interview was on a Friday at 4:30PM, was approve Saturday night. But didn't login until Wednesday to get the KTN.

I bought a dishwasher online at Costco, sale ends 5/11. The charge is pending on my CIU 5/6, I see a credit for that amount dated today. My order still shows in my Costco account, I have no email from them canceling my order. I'm counting on this to meet my MSR. Should I be worried?
I would be concerned if f your MSR deadline is quickly approaching. If you have leeway, I would let it ride and see what happens.

Does anyone here sell through Amazon? I have been asked to help sell some books and I'm thinking that Amazon is probably the best place, but I've only ever sold through eBay.

I've read a bit about setting up an individual seller account through Amazon and it looks fairly simple. Anything I should be aware of?

Hey guys... I'm not a regular in this thread but a few updates on things I posted in the past.

1. I had previously posted that Amex was clawing back my SUB for the Delta SkyMiles Gold, but they never did. They clawed back the points I had earned through normal monthly statements, but I kept (and have since redeemed) the SUB.

2. The Ollo Optimum card is the real deal, but it's by invitation only. Unlimited 2.5% back on everything, like WF Active Cash or Citi Double Cash, only better. Don't throw out the offer if you get invited.

Hi Credit Card GURUs!

• Yes
    • Yes

Cheers and Thanks!
Dom
Do you have any flights soon? As of 2 weeks ago in flight was 50k

Hi Credit Card GURUs!

Chase regularly offers 65,000 on their Southwest personal cards (usually 2-3 times per year). So, it's a matter of whether you want to wait for a chance at an additional 25k and get another card in the meantime or whether you need the perks and 40k miles sooner, rather than later.

Sometimes the pending charge is the reserved amount (like gas station) and before they ship they credit it then charge when it actually ships. They aren't supposed to charge until they ship. If your MSR is soon, I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter