I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some input from internet strangers and out of all the forums I dabble in I trust the judgements of everyone here the most :sunny:.

I have been amassing Amex points with the goal of surprising DH for our 15th anniversary. I am going lie-flat first class on Hawaiian :smokin:. Only bummer is I have to leave out of SEA to get the A330 with the lie flats. I was planning on doing the platinum pay with points +35% back. On a $1200ish ticket it seems to make the most sense. I just can't seem to pick an island! We have done Oahu (our first trip was here and we have some real warm and fuzzy vibes for North Shore/Turtle Bay), and we just did Kauai for the first time in December and loved Princeville/Hanalei except they were having crazy heavy rains and flooding--the ocean was terrifying and it was pretty chilly. I think that was an extreme due to December+ a bad weather system but I don't know--are Kauai beaches swimmable in late summer?

So for those that Hawaii....On an 6-8 night trip sometime in August-Oct would you island hop and cover both Oahu and Kauai or just pick a lane and settle in for a week? I've done an island hop before and even though it's only <1 hour flight it really does manage to eat a day. We've done the tourist things so it would be beach, relaxing, and hitting some favorites.

"If you currently have an IHG Rewards Credit Card from Chase, or you earned a new cardmember bonus on that credit card within the last 24 months, you are not eligible to receive another of the same credit card."

Am I reading this right - I haven't had the IHG business card before. So I can get that one, right? I asked because I got the Traveler card in 1/21 and churned the premier (#2) in 8/21.

Also how do I see if the Amex Hilton posted to my credit reports? I got it like 3 weeks ago. I'm sitting at 5/24 until April right now because of it. So can I sneak in an app w/ Chase or should I wait?

You can get the new IHG Premium Business card because business cards are only restricted if you have the same product already. IHG updated the personal to be similar to Southwest, so you would have to cancel any existing IHG personal card to get a new personal SUB (and also be outside of the 24 months). I have the old grandfathered $49 Select card, so I'll probably close that after this year's FNC posts and pick up the new 140k personal SUB. I'll get the new business card sooner since I like the SUB + 5x multipliers on gas and dining. Really looking forward to being able to top off FNCs for 40k+ properties.

I found a link for Amex Biz Gold, that was just updated a couple of days ago, on Doctor of Credit. It's for 90k points sign up after spending 10k in the first 3 months, plus another 10k for adding an employee card with a 1k spend.

The link also has YMMV. So how do I know if it'll work? When I click the link it brings me to the offer for 90k, does that mean I'd be safe to apply?
I'm just not sure why they would say "Your milage may vary" is there a chance if I go through this link I might not actually get the bonus?

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amer...000-points-signup-offer-no-lifetime-language/
Sometimes I've found that the links will bring me to the right landing page, but when I go to apply, it will say sorry you're not eligible or something like that. I would screenshot the offer page and if it lets you complete the app, you should be good.

I need some input from internet strangers and out of all the forums I dabble in I trust the judgements of everyone here the most :sunny:.

I have been amassing Amex points with the goal of surprising DH for our 15th anniversary. I am going lie-flat first class on Hawaiian :smokin:. Only bummer is I have to leave out of SEA to get the A330 with the lie flats. I was planning on doing the platinum pay with points +35% back. On a $1200ish ticket it seems to make the most sense. I just can't seem to pick an island! We have done Oahu (our first trip was here and we have some real warm and fuzzy vibes for North Shore/Turtle Bay), and we just did Kauai for the first time in December and loved Princeville/Hanalei except they were having crazy heavy rains and flooding--the ocean was terrifying and it was pretty chilly. I think that was an extreme due to December+ a bad weather system but I don't know--are Kauai beaches swimmable in late summer?

So for those that Hawaii....On an 6-8 night trip sometime in August-Oct would you island hop and cover both Oahu and Kauai or just pick a lane and settle in for a week? I've done an island hop before and even though it's only <1 hour flight it really does manage to eat a day. We've done the tourist things so it would be beach, relaxing, and hitting some favorites.

The beaches on the North Shore of Kauai are rough in the winter. But usually very calm in the summer. We went to Anini this past summer, it was super calm and shallow for a long ways in. Summer is the best time to do a Na Pali Coast boat tour. I loved going in the sea caves. Even in the summer, it was still a rather rough ride though (DD got seasick).

We've done the Oahu + another island a couple times when airfare to HNL was cheaper. If I need to connect in HNL, I'm going to go eat! LOL. We do the Oahu part shorter (2-3 nights) and the rest on the other island.

Last edited:
Did I just mess everything up with AMEX? AF just posted for Hilton Biz, no free night, not using it, so I cancelled. Thought I had it 2 years, on checking my spread sheet afterwards, I find I opened it 2/2021. 🤦‍♀️ I'm so tired and not feeling well, I am not making good decisions.

Did I just mess everything up with AMEX? AF just posted for Hilton Biz, no free night, not using it, so I cancelled. Thought I had it 2 years, on checking my spread sheet afterwards, I find I opened it 2/2021. 🤦‍♀️ I'm so tired and not feeling well, I am not making good decisions.

You've held it a year, so you're fine. If you took a retention offer, they might take that back, but it's usually not much on the Hilton biz anyways.

Hope you feel better soon!

No you should be fine.

Quick SW question. If P2 buys me a ticket for a flight using her RRs can she fly as my companion? I don't see why this would be a problem but we are just getting used to being a 1 CP family. She has all the points left right now but I'm the one with the CP.

Quick SW question. If P2 buys me a ticket for a flight using her RRs can she fly as my companion? I don't see why this would be a problem but we are just getting used to being a 1 CP family. She has all the points left right now but I'm the one with the CP.
The person with the cp has to buy themselves a ticket and can bring their designated companion for no charge. That doesn’t seem to be what you are describing.

Jusr re-read your question and honestly I’m not sure.

"allows a transfer of unused flight credit".....has me thinking..... I wonder,if you had an unused credit, could you then book in this new category,and then cancel,and use those funds for a different person? Say a household member who actually wants to fly somewhere? :rotfl2:
I wouldn't think so. When it goes back it goes back to the oldest TF doesn't it? I've never had to worry about it, the only time I've ever cancelled a SW flight we used the credits for the same travelers.

One of the things I've been thinking about lately is how high do I want to keep my balances in various transferable point programs when I don't have any particular upcoming use for the points. I know I want to keep enough to have flexibility to book any new travel opportunities that come up, but at some point I probably ought to concentrate on cashing out.

Do you build your balance indefinitely? Do you cash them all out ASAP? Do you have a rule of thumb on when enough is enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter