I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love that you shared all of the redemption details. Great trip report.

So glad you had a great trip. Would you go back?
How did the kids feel about the long travel days?

What’s next????

Thank you!! It's my first time doing a report or anything like this, I really enjoyed doing it!

We are already planning to go back some day (hopefully sooner rather than later!), to do some things we missed out on this time around - snorkeling, helicopter tour, Iao Valley... we also want to visit the Big Island and Kauai.

The kiddos did really well for the traveling. They loved having a huge selection of movies to choose from on the longer flights. I gave them both melatonin for the overnight flight home, so they got a good amount of sleep. It was all new to them, so they were excited overall!

We are planning for next summer - depending on how things go with "everything", I'd love to take them to Europe. If that doesn't work out, we want to go to Bryce Canyon/Zion.

I got one $200 credit from last year that's good through the end of this year. That was a credit since no one was traveling last year so not using all of the Platinum benefits. I didn't get that on my CS Platinum because that was opened 7/2020.

I prepaid. But honestly I'm not sure if you have to prepay. I'm confused about the $100 Fine Hotels credit. I guess I'll figure it out in September. And I just looked at a Queen Room at the Ritz Carlton Atlanta is $730/night with tax for the night I booked. I'm paying $189 after my $200 credit. Who pays $730 a night for a regular room?
I'm confused about the $100 credit as well. Do you just have to use your platinum card at the hotel for an eligible purchase (like breakfast?)? And it automatically credits? My stay is this weekend so I guess we'll find out.

I'm confused about the $100 credit as well. Do you just have to use your platinum card at the hotel for an eligible purchase (like breakfast?)? And it automatically credits? My stay is this weekend so I guess we'll find out.
I sort of thought you charged things to your room and they were reimbursed by the hotel but I honestly have no clue. Please report back because I'm curious. I know I do get free breakfast at the Ritz Carlton for two already included. Hope DS doesn't think this is the new normal! We'll be back to Residence Inn before he knows it;)

I sort of thought you charged things to your room and they were reimbursed by the hotel but I honestly have no clue. Please report back because I'm curious. I know I do get free breakfast at the Ritz Carlton for two already included. Hope DS doesn't think this is the new normal! We'll be back to Residence Inn before he knows it;)
I will report back. The Ritz is the higher level of amex hotels than we got. I think you get more perks. We just get a $100 credit and upgrade if available.

Do you have to register GC's to use them for utilities? I have only used VGC at Costco.

I don't for mine, I just run them through like any CC. I'm lucky in that my utility provider doesn't charge for using a CC so I use a lot of VGC's with them that have "leftover" amounts on them. I know I'm probably on borrowed time for that, they're the only place I can think of that doesn't charge for using a CC.

Can I close my IHG Premier via SM? I already have the Traveler (free). Does anyone know if I can PC and have 2 travelers? Although I think I want to cancel and free up that credit line so I can churn it.

We used the Platnium card to book on night at Portofino. (Added on a night to 4 nights with the AP rate)
I asked when I rechecked in how the $100 resort credit worked and the girl said any food places besides Bice would trigger the credit. Just use the Amex and Amex would credit the purchases.
We spent $94 on lunch but the charge hasn’t posted on our Amex yet🤷🏼‍♀️ We checked out July 31. Not sure if there is some issue and it isn’t going to post?

Looking forward to seeing how it works for others since I’d like to use my other Platnium to book a night at the Dolphin using the credit.

I saw on SW this morning that supportals now get you 20K RR points, until 1/4/2022. So if you're close to a CP and have a P2 or P3, this could get you over the top.

ETA: I guess I got an email about this on Tuesday. The support link is different than my previous one, so if you have one saved you'll want to replace it with a new one.

We used the Platnium card to book on night at Portofino. (Added on a night to 4 nights with the AP rate)
I asked when I rechecked in how the $100 resort credit worked and the girl said any food places besides Bice would trigger the credit. Just use the Amex and Amex would credit the purchases.
We spent $94 on lunch but the charge hasn’t posted on our Amex yet🤷🏼‍♀️ We checked out July 31. Not sure if there is some issue and it isn’t going to post?

Looking forward to seeing how it works for others since I’d like to use my other Platnium to book a night at the Dolphin using the credit.
I'm thinking it may have to be charged to the room?

I'm so confused about the Amex Platinum hotel credits. I just booked a hotel for 2 nights (part of the hotel program) and they asked if I wanted to prepay or pay at hotel. I have to prepay to get the credit. Correct? Also, one of my Platinums has another $200 travel credit and the other doesn't. What is that for and why do I only have it on one card? I'm getting overwhelmed with all the different platinum credits...I still haven't used the streaming subscription credits yet.
I got one $200 credit from last year that's good through the end of this year. That was a credit since no one was traveling last year so not using all of the Platinum benefits. I didn't get that on my CS Platinum because that was opened 7/2020.

I prepaid. But honestly I'm not sure if you have to prepay. I'm confused about the $100 Fine Hotels credit. I guess I'll figure it out in September. And I just looked at a Queen Room at the Ritz Carlton Atlanta is $730/night with tax for the night I booked. I'm paying $189 after my $200 credit. Who pays $730 a night for a regular room?

The credit does say you need to prepay. The charge then comes from Amex FHR (or Amex Travel for Hotel Collection?). If you paid at the hotel, the charge would come from the hotel.

The $100 FHR credit will depend on the hotel how they do it. Some are for dining, some for spa, etc (this is specified when you book). I've been reading some of the FHR threads on Flyertalk. Some hotels might say you can only use it at certain restaurants. Hopefully, the hotel will give you a letter outlining the FHR benefits. It might just be a credit on your bill.

Oops,sorry. That’s what I meant. I charged it to my room that had my Amex in file. A charge the day before posted that I charged to the room but the lunch hasn’t and it has been a few days since the last charge.
I hope it credits.

The credit does say you need to prepay. The charge then comes from Amex FHR (or Amex Travel for Hotel Collection?). If you paid at the hotel, the charge would come from the hotel.

The $100 FHR credit will depend on the hotel how they do it. Some are for dining, some for spa, etc (this is specified when you book). I've been reading some of the FHR threads on Flyertalk. Some hotels might say you can only use it at certain restaurants. Hopefully, the hotel will give you a letter outlining the FHR benefits. It might just be a credit on your bill.
Thank you for the clarification! And yes makes sense on why it has to be prepaid.

Oops,sorry. That’s what I meant. I charged it to my room that had my Amex in file. A charge the day before posted that I charged to the room but the lunch hasn’t and it has been a few days since the last charge.

Are you only checking your Amex account or are you checking your hotel bill? Your final hotel bill should have the lunch charge and then a credit for it. If you're only checking your Amex account, then it would make sense to not have an additional charge (would have netted to zero).

The Dolphin is part of the Hotel Collection, so you would have to do 2 nights to use the credit.

Are you only checking your Amex account or are you checking your hotel bill? Your final hotel bill should have the lunch charge and then a credit for it. If you're only checking your Amex account, then it would make sense to not have an additional charge (would have netted to zero).

The Dolphin is part of the Hotel Collection, so you would have to do 2 nights to use the credit.

Glad you mentioned Dolphin needing two nights. I’ve been debating on using DVC points or Dolphin so I’ll stick with DVC.

I think our whole stay for our last night is messed up. I got our hotel bill but it has no charges. The lunch never showed up. Our express passes on the last day didn’t work the last day. It’s like our last day didn’t exist.

I know the Plat $200 credit is new, but I haven't been able to find an answer. I'm thinking of booking one night at a hotel that's only 40 minutes away. But there isn't any availability until January. If I don't get a retention offer that covers the annual fee I will cancel it and wouldn't have the card in Jan. Do you think this would be a problem? I'm thinking it would be okay since everything is prepaid.

Back to this question, I came across this FT thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ame...if-platinum-card-cancelled-after-booking.html
I still think it'll be fine. :)

According to the terms, you do need to settle your bill with an Amex (any Amex). But the hotel may or may not enforce that.

DD seems to be having a great time at WDW. I'm jealous. Meanwhile I'm refereeing fights between dogs. I would have thought my ex's dog would have warmed up to the puppy by now, but he's still hostile. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree (just kidding).

Glad you mentioned Dolphin needing two nights. I’ve been debating on using DVC points or Dolphin so I’ll stick with DVC.

I think our whole stay for our last night is messed up. I got our hotel bill but it has no charges. The lunch never showed up. Our express passes on the last day didn’t work the last day. It’s like our last day didn’t exist.

Maybe they do the credit by just taking it off your bill (so nothing shows up). But keep an eye out in case any charges show up later. I prefer the credit to bill method so I can see it!

How disappointing that the express passes didn't work! Did you end up getting it fixed?

Oh my..... yeah my flights are based around/thru STL and BWI...2 major SWA hubs which are making me feel even worse about things,not to mention they removed all nonstops for our route.....
i am not sure why that makes you feel worse but 99% of my flights originate from BWI and less than a handful have been delayed and if they were, it was less than an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter