• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney World is bringing back Annual Passes for the public. Full info has not been released yet, but here is the snippet:

"And for those wondering about Walt Disney World Annual Passes, new pass sales will become available in time for the start of the 50th anniversary celebration! Walt Disney World Resort will be sharing additional information and details later this month, so be sure to stay tuned to DisneyWorld.com and the Disney Parks Blog."

Source: Here (Please note this blog post is about DL, but the snippet about WDW is buried at the end.

Hello!! ***Long post ahead – redemption/trip details***

It’s been a week since we got home from our FIRST big redemption trip to Maui! I haven't even started to get caught up on the 31 pages I've missed, but I wanted to share some details, as I have gained so much insight and knowledge from this generous group and want to reciprocate however I can 😊 I’ll do the redemption/math-y stuff post first, then another to get into the trip report-y stuff 😊

Trip Details
7/22 – 7/27, Tampa à Maui, Grand Wailea

Flights – I booked our flights on United via Singapore Airlines by transferring URs to KrisFlyer. I booked these in December and ended up having to call Singapore Airlines because when I tried to book online, the redemption value wouldn’t calculate correctly. I transferred the points on 12/1 and was able to book on 12/4. There were a couple of schedule changes before our trip, and Singapore Airlines was extremely communicative. Their customer service was top-notch throughout the whole process.
  • UR Points/KrisFlyer Points: 140K (35k x 4, economy); Cash Price: $2,720 at time of booking
  • PPV: 1.94
Hotel – We decided to stay at the Grand Wailea based on reviews (and knowing the kiddos would love the pools/slides). We did the 5th night free promo with our points, and after finding 5 standard nights (Terrace View, 2 Queens) in a row for July, I booked using HH points on 12/1. We received an email a few days prior to our trip offering upgrades for discounted amounts. We decided to try for the Deluxe Ocean View with 2 Queen Beds, $81/night for a total of $405. This was never charged, so we got the upgrade for free!
  • Hilton Points: 380K; Cash Price (Terrace View at time of booking, before upgrade): $4,310; Deluxe Ocean View at time of upgrade: $9,000
  • PPV: Before upgrade – 1.13; With upgrade – 2.37
Activities – I booked 2 activities through the UR portal (CSP) to utilize the 25% savings there.
  • Road to Hana, full loop, with Dynamic Tours: 42,796 URs; $534.95 Cash Price
  • Haleakala Nat’l Park Sunrise Tour; 56,648 URs; $708.12 Cash Price
Car – I thankfully booked a car with my CSP in March through Costco and snagged a Premium (Nissan Altima) from Enterprise for $443.47 for 5 days. Will use PYB for that charge.

Various – We did our best to maximize the credits from our Aspire x 2 for the flight and resort credits. For our first time using multiple credits on several cards, I’m proud of ourselves! Not perfect, but I wasn’t keeping super close track. I’m also going to use PYB for our food/souvenirs/extras. In hindsight, I could’ve used the 25% PYB bonus to get Visa/MC GCs at the grocery store beforehand to cover those expenses, so lesson learned. Not mad about it though 😊
  • Aspire #1 - $250 Resort Credit (over by $122.53 – didn’t want to hassle with moving charges after changing cards); $250 Airline Credit (used $212.99) - $462.99 in credits total
  • Aspire #2 - $250 Resort Credit (used $186.38); $250 Airline Credit (FORGOT TO ENROLL!! $0 used); Diamond Member Food/Beverage Credit, $50/day, $250 total (crushed that one!) - $436.38 in credits total
  • OOP Charges: $122.53 (Aspire Resort Credit Overage), $70 (Baggage fees on Aspire I forgot to enroll); $14.99 (Shaka app); $240 in various cash tips to drivers, valet, and housekeeping = $447.52
  • PYB Charges: $3,267.75/326,750 URS (Car, food/drinks, souvenirs, everything else)

TL;DR – We took a 5 night/6 day trip to Maui from Tampa, with a rental car, 2 excursions, and all the food, drinks, shopping and fun we could manage, for $447.52 OOP. If my calculations are correct (please let me know if you see any errors!), the overall cash price of this trip was just under $16,000. Not anywhere close to some of the legendary redemptions 😊, but I’m very happy with this!

Trip Report - Maui

Flights – I know most people would balk at spending 11 hours in economy, but it worked for us just fine. Our kids have never flown before, so we didn’t want to totally spoil them just yet 😊 Our flights to Maui (Tampa to Denver to Maui) were on time. We had completed all the necessary information on the Hawaii Safe Travels site and brought our vaccine cards and negative test results with us as hard copies (as well as printed out the QR codes). United Airlines in Denver was participating in pre-clear, where you show all of your information and get clearance to enter Hawaii without going through the process when you land. We BARELY made it to our plane in time, as most people in front of us did NOT have their stuff together. Really wish there had been a FastPass+ line for those that came prepared! However, we got our armbands, boarded, and settled in for the long haul.

We had eaten breakfast before boarding in Tampa and weren’t able to eat during our 1-hour layover in Denver due to the pre-clear line. United provides a small bag with a mini water bottle, pretzels, and a Stroopwafel to each person, and also provided beverage service. I had loaded my CC information into the United app and was able to purchase alcohol and a couple of snack boxes during the flight. I found out later by talking to a few people at our resort that we were lucky to get alcohol, as not all airlines are doing that right now.

Flights back (Maui to Chicago to Tampa) were pretty uneventful. We were hoping to grab a real breakfast during our 1-hour layover in Chicago, but we had to circle the airport for a bit due to weather, and the lines for the VERY few places open were so long. Pretzels it would be! 😊 We also had to circle for a bit before landing in Tampa due to storms. We landed about 40 minutes after our scheduled arrival.

Resort – I was a little nervous about our stay, as I had been reading some reviews that weren’t so favorable concerning the staff and pool. First off, the resort is STUNNING. That open air lobby was incredible! The lady (Mina?) that checked us in was so sweet and helpful, and I loved that they give you leis upon checking in. EVERY SINGLE employee we encountered, from check-in to departure, was so friendly and accommodating.

We checked in to our room and could NOT believe our view. They had put us on the top (9th) floor, and we could see Molokini and Kaho’olawe in the distance. We could hear and sort of see the luau when it occurred, which was fun. I sat out there almost every early morning and evening, with a beverage (what kind depended on the time-of-day 😉) and felt so relaxed. Now, the room wasn’t perfect – there were some small tears in one of the headboards and the drain in the shower didn’t perform 100% (water would accumulate about ½ an inch during a shower but would quickly go away once done). However, those small things didn’t bother me in the slightest. I loved that it wasn’t super-modern (not our style), and really liked the style and design of the resort and rooms.

The grounds are gorgeous! Plenty of places to get beautiful photos both on the grounds and at the beach.

We visited the pools on several afternoons. We got our wristbands on the first day, indicating we were resort guests. I had read about the craziness to get chairs at the pool and beach, so on the one day we planned to enjoy the resort, I got in line for the pools at 6:30am(!) and was 3 people back – in that particular line. There were a few others that had formed at different entrances. I ended up snagging an awesome spot with 2 chairs under an umbrella for the 4 of us. I sat there while my DH got our boys ready, and we grabbed a quick breakfast and came back within an hour.

The staff did a great job at mitigating the chair-hoggers – they had a system where they would put the seat backs down, and if they hadn’t been put back up within a certain amount of time (an hour I think??), they’d remove the belongings. While the system isn’t perfect, I’m sure, I felt it was a fair way to handle that.

The only features at the pool that weren’t open were the grotto bar and water elevator. The slides and Tarzan swing were open from 10:30am til 4pm – I do wish they were open for longer. The little slides that take you from the upper pools to the lazy river were really fun! My boys did the Tarzan swing for a long while as well.

A couple of the days they had big inflatables (jousting ring, obstacle course, etc) and activities set up on the lawn behind the chapel. The kids really enjoyed this.

We at Café Kula for dinner 2 nights, and breakfast on our last day. The food was good, nothing crazy special. We ate at the Grand Ballroom for breakfast on our resort day, which was tasty. I had snagged a dinner at Humuhumu when it was announced it was available for reservations, and that meal was realllllllly great! We also frequented the Volcano Bar and Botero Bar, quite frequently 😊

I booked excursions for the Road to Hana and the Haleakala sunrise, as I knew those would entail a good amount of driving. For the benefit of my husband and marriage I wanted someone else driving for those. I’m so glad we did! Both tours were FANTASTIC. Our Hana tour driver actually took us the opposite way (back of the loop first), which ended up being awesome as we hardly ran into any traffic. We did the west side on our own, all the way from Wailea to the Nakalele Blowhole and back, using the Shaka app. That was super great also. We stopped at a lot of the points on the tour and saw so many beautiful outlooks. The Nakalele Blowhole was definitely a highlight!

We had some really amazing food – notable places were Paia Fish Market, Kihei Café, & Leoda’s (I don’t care for sweets but the strawberry pie and Olowalu lime pie – OMG). We had the BEST MEAL EVER at Mama’s Fish House for lunch on the day we had to leave. I made that reservation in March, and very grateful I did. Still dreaming about that food! The longest wait we had for a meal was at Monkeypod – we arrived at 4:30 and had a 45-minute wait (they don’t take reservations). The food was pretty good, but they have the BEST mai tai – hands down! We ate at Tommy Bahama’s one mid-afternoon, and Adam Sandler was in there as well. We got to see him but didn’t bother him as he was with his family. 😊

Anyway, if you’ve gotten this far, thanks for reading!! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me 😊 I feel like it was a super successful trip for our first major redemption, and I was so happy that I was able to spend quality time with my family, exploring a beautiful island. Now to choose the next adventure!!

It’s been a week since we got home from our FIRST big redemption trip to Maui! I haven't even started to get caught up on the 31 pages I've missed, but I wanted to share some details, as I have gained so much insight and knowledge from this generous group and want to reciprocate however I can 😊 I’ll do the redemption/math-y stuff post first, then another to get into the trip report-y stuff 😊

Trip Details

Flights – I booked our flights on United via Singapore Airlines by transferring URs to KrisFlyer. I booked these in December and ended up having to call Singapore Airlines because when I tried to book online, the redemption value wouldn’t calculate correctly. I transferred the points on 12/1 and was able to book on 12/4. There were a couple of schedule changes before our trip, and Singapore Airlines was extremely communicative. Their customer service was top-notch throughout the whole process.
  • UR Points/KrisFlyer Points: 140K (35k x 4, economy); Cash Price: $2,720 at time of booking
Hotel – We decided to stay at the Grand Wailea based on reviews (and knowing the kiddos would love the pools/slides). We did the 5th night free promo with our points, and after finding 5 standard nights (Terrace View, 2 Queens) in a row for July, I booked using HH points on 12/1. We received an email a few days prior to our trip offering upgrades for discounted amounts. We decided to try for the Deluxe Ocean View with 2 Queen Beds, $81/night for a total of $405. This was never charged, so we got the upgrade for free!
  • Hilton Points: 380K; Cash Price (Terrace View at time of booking, before upgrade): $4,310; Deluxe Ocean View at time of upgrade: $9,000
Activities – I booked 2 activities through the UR portal (CSP) to utilize the 25% savings there.
Car – I thankfully booked a car with my CSP in March through Costco and snagged a Premium (Nissan Altima) from Enterprise for $443.47 for 5 days. Will use PYB for that charge.

Various – We did our best to maximize the credits from our Aspire x 2 for the flight and resort credits. For our first time using multiple credits on several cards, I’m proud of ourselves! Not perfect, but I wasn’t keeping super close track. I’m also going to use PYB for our food/souvenirs/extras. In hindsight, I could’ve used the 25% PYB bonus to get Visa/MC GCs at the grocery store beforehand to cover those expenses, so lesson learned. Not mad about it though 😊
  • Aspire #1 - $250 Resort Credit (over by $122.53 – didn’t want to hassle with moving charges after changing cards); $250 Airline Credit (used $212.99) - $462.99 in credits total
  • Aspire #2 - $250 Resort Credit (used $186.38); $250 Airline Credit (FORGOT TO ENROLL!! $0 used); Diamond Member Food/Beverage Credit, $50/day, $250 total (crushed that one!) - $436.38 in credits total
  • OOP Charges: $122.53 (Aspire Resort Credit Overage), $70 (Baggage fees on Aspire I forgot to enroll); $14.99 (Shaka app); $240 in various cash tips to drivers, valet, and housekeeping = $447.52
  • PYB Charges: $3,267.75/326,750 URS (Car, food/drinks, souvenirs, everything else)

TL;DR – We took a 5 night/6 day trip to Maui from Tampa, with a rental car, 2 excursions, and all the food, drinks, shopping and fun we could manage, for $447.52 OOP. If my calculations are correct (please let me know if you see any errors!), the overall cash price of this trip was just under $16,000. Not anywhere close to some of the legendary redemptions 😊, but I’m very happy with this!

We used 2 Aspire credits too at the Grand Wailea. Our last breakfast charge ended up on the wrong card and I couldn't see it until we got home. I called and asked them to switch cards. They refunded card #1 and charged card #2. It was easy and they were very nice about it.

Trip Details

I love that you shared all of the redemption details. Great trip report.

So glad you had a great trip. Would you go back?
How did the kids feel about the long travel days?

What’s next????

Another DP for SW check in. DH has CP for DS, and DH had EBCI They got A34 and A35. I checked in right at 24 hours (no EBCI) and got B1.
Thank you! I don't know why I'm so nervous about it not working for my flights next month. I bought EBCI for me and dd, but not ds who is my CP. I'm sure I'll get up early to check us on our outbound flight anyway, it'll definitely make checking in for the flight home easier.

Can the Southwest Performance upgraded boarding credits be used on ECBI, or just the day of travel upgraded boarding?

My husband received an American Express platinum mailer for 150,000 membership rewards after $6000 spend in 6 months. I'm torn. The $695 fee is so high - I do have an existing Audible subscription that could be transitioned to this card to offset some of that increase. 150k MRs is very tempting. I am not experienced with AmEx MRs. We have a CSR, CF, and 2 CIC cards that we use regularly.

I am currently patiently (maybe not)for my Peloton Bike to be delivered - a purchase prompted by the basically free access I've had to their app for the last 7 months thanks to the CSR benefit and one that will earn 10x UR on the purchase of the bike.

Realistically, we travel by air a couple times a year and maybe 4 or 5 other weekend trips by car. Am I just being suckered in with a high reward offer?

Thank you all for your advice. I had the same offer under cardmatch so I applied under my name. If I add an authorized user on a Gold Card, do they earn MRs at the rates identified for my Platinum or will they earn at the Gold Care rates. I would be very interested in the 4x MRs at the supermarket. Thanks again!

Thank you all for your advice. I had the same offer under cardmatch so I applied under my name. If I add an authorized user on a Gold Card, do they earn MRs at the rates identified for my Platinum or will they earn at the Gold Care rates. I would be very interested in the 4x MRs at the supermarket. Thanks again!
Congrats! No, it is not a true Gold Card. It would earn whatever the primary Plat earns.

ETA: And if you wait a bit you may get offers to add an AU.

Regarding thoughts on flights now/comfort flying (sorry, lost the quote), we had no delays with our AA flights from ICT to DFW and DFW to OGG. Hawaiian flight from OGG to HNL was on time too. On the way back from HNL to DFW we found out around noon that our 7 pm flight was delayed until 9 pm, and we would miss our connection in DFW. AA automatically rescheduled us on a later flight about 2 hours later. We heard at the airport that the flight was delayed for mandatory crew rest time. So overall not bad for us at all.

We also had flights on SW in June and I don't remember having any issues then. I am a little peeved at SW right now for changing our Oct return flight from MCO to ICT that originally was 1 stop in STL to now having 2 stops, one in MCI (KC), then Denver then ICT. I seriously priced out a rental car from KC to ICT as I think I'd save 2 hours travel time, but it's not worth the cost. Oh well.

So, I'd say for all the bad stories you hear about, there is plenty of travel right now that's going normally. Good luck!
Oh my..... yeah my flights are based around/thru STL and BWI...2 major SWA hubs which are making me feel even worse about things,not to mention they removed all nonstops for our route.....

Trip Details

:worship: :worship: :worship:

I'm so confused about the Amex Platinum hotel credits. I just booked a hotel for 2 nights (part of the hotel program) and they asked if I wanted to prepay or pay at hotel. I have to prepay to get the credit. Correct? Also, one of my Platinums has another $200 travel credit and the other doesn't. What is that for and why do I only have it on one card? I'm getting overwhelmed with all the different platinum credits...I still haven't used the streaming subscription credits yet.

I'm so confused about the Amex Platinum hotel credits. I just booked a hotel for 2 nights (part of the hotel program) and they asked if I wanted to prepay or pay at hotel. I have to prepay to get the credit. Correct? Also, one of my Platinums has another $200 travel credit and the other doesn't. What is that for and why do I only have it on one card? I'm getting overwhelmed with all the different platinum credits...I still haven't used the streaming subscription credits yet.
I got one $200 credit from last year that's good through the end of this year. That was a credit since no one was traveling last year so not using all of the Platinum benefits. I didn't get that on my CS Platinum because that was opened 7/2020.

I prepaid. But honestly I'm not sure if you have to prepay. I'm confused about the $100 Fine Hotels credit. I guess I'll figure it out in September. And I just looked at a Queen Room at the Ritz Carlton Atlanta is $730/night with tax for the night I booked. I'm paying $189 after my $200 credit. Who pays $730 a night for a regular room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter