I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a Marriott Bonvoy offer on my 2 MR Amex cards today but not on my Marriott card. It's spend $200 get $40 back.

And, it's expiry is July 31,2021!

That's one of the shortest expirations I've ever seen.

Not too long ago, like in the last 1-2 months, this offer appeared on my Gold and I did not add it and it disappeared fairly quickly. I wonder if it is the same offer being recycled because maybe people that added it haven't used it?

If it was on my Brilliant I would quickly add it and then call Hawaii and see if they would run a charge through for $200plus in fees and whatever else they charge extra. I also have most of my Brilliant $300 credit but was waiting on that until closer to the end of this month just in case I find another use for it.
This offer has been out for some time.

This happened to me last round of Marriott offers, where others had the offer for a couple months but it never showed for me and then all of the sudden it popped up near expiration.

Haha! I'll be on the lookout for you to say hi! We'll be the family that has no clue what we're doing because for some reason I am very unprepared for this trip! I think because of all of the uncertainty with travel/testing I just wasn't sure it would happen. That and my kiddos just aren't that excited for it. My DD8 kept asking if she has to go. I'm like really? Do you know how much planning I did to make it happen and how lucky we are to get to go?!? She's just really dreading the 8 hour flight. My DS10 is somewhat excited, so I just hope we have great time and if nothing else can enjoy GW! We usually go to WDW every summer and it's always go go go so I'm looking forward to a more relaxed trip.

I am thinking about booking the 2 hour kayak/snorkel tour that leaves from the GW beach. Did you consider that one? 2 hours seems about right for my crew. I booked a 3 hour dolphin watch and snorkel excursion on Oahu and my DH was like 3 hours?!? Good thing I didn't book a full day Road to Hana!

I haven't booked any dining ressies, but honestly my DD is a very picky eater, and we overall have pretty simple tastes so I think we'll just wing it. My DH is the only one of us who really eats fish/seafood, and he's pretty limited on what he likes too so I think a lot of the sought after places would be lost on us. I did check out Morimoto's menu for his restaurant on Oahu and I think we'll try to eat there.

Oh, one other thing I did reserve is a photo session on the beach at GW. The session is free but the pics are expensive! I've always wanted family pics on the beach so we're going to do it. If nothing else I can buy the single pic for $89 😁

My kiddos (DS9 and DS14) have never been on a plane - I've been trying to prepare them for the long flights (almost 12 hours each way, we are in Florida), they may never want to fly again after this :scared:

I actually booked 2 LONG excursions - sunrise at Haleakala the first day (since we will still be getting used to the 6 hour time change, getting up super early will be easiest this day), and the full Road to Hana - we'll have a car but it'll be best all around if my DH doesn't make that drive 😉

I haven't seen the kayak/snorkel tour, I'll have to check that out as an option for our "free" day - and I'm going to look into the photo session, I completely forgot about that!!

For those of us that did the Macy's Wine offer, I would suggest you chat with Amex. They are saying that "The merchant is not showing eligible as purchase is not made by the link given in offer ", I used the link but the vendor posted as HEMISPHERE-MACYSWINEGLENDALE CA. They said that they are opening an investigation.

There's a Marriott Bonvoy offer on my 2 MR Amex cards today but not on my Marriott card. It's spend $200 get $40 back.

And, it's expiry is July 31,2021!

That's one of the shortest expirations I've ever seen.

Not too long ago, like in the last 1-2 months, this offer appeared on my Gold and I did not add it and it disappeared fairly quickly. I wonder if it is the same offer being recycled because maybe people that added it haven't used it?

If it was on my Brilliant I would quickly add it and then call Hawaii and see if they would run a charge through for $200plus in fees and whatever else they charge extra. I also have most of my Brilliant $300 credit but was waiting on that until closer to the end of this month just in case I find another use for it.
Like you, I saw it a while ago and didn't add it to my account at the time because I was hoping to see it show up on my Bonvoy card. Then it disappeared for me just like it did for you. So this time I added it to my Green card (and DH's too) since I didn't want it to disappear on me again. I tried checking the generic offers website and it's not showing up on there.

Like you, I saw it a while ago and didn't add it to my account at the time because I was hoping to see it show up on my Bonvoy card. Then it disappeared for me just like it did for you. So this time I added it to my Green card (and DH's too) since I didn't want it to disappear on me again. I tried checking the generic offers website and it's not showing up on there.

I checked the generic offers immediately also! I'm in the 'so what' group if it disappears again. Marriott/Amex games. I'll stick with my cards so long as I get some extra value out of them - a few offers here and there to reduce the actual cost of the annual free nights and a few points, here and there but I am now more so a UR fan to get more Hyatt nights.

In addition, I decided not to go to the Outer Banks yesterday. My daughter and her friend from work and their kids are using a combo of my 2 free nights and her free nights booked 'just' before Marriott made the nights 40K instead of 35K. The rooms are $402 with cash and were in the $200's when we booked. It's the only Marriott property on the Outer Banks so it's probably packed with people trying to use FNC's.

Probably won't be available next year at all on FNC as a 35K, just like Ocean City. The reviews in the last month or two are horrible online, but DD reports that they got the room at 4pm, and it was clean. Breakfast was adequate but not great this morning, but the beach is nice and wide and enjoyable.

The outdoor pool is out of commission because of a fire on June 20th. No notification. They do have a small indoor pool. But, this is a Town Place Suites so we only had mild expectations anyway. It's also fairly new in 2018 or 2019. They are also having labor shortages for room cleaning, etc.

I called and added my DD to my room and then did online check in. The staff that answered the phone were nice and friendly and helpful and had no problem with my request. I only figured out I could put a name in myself just recently when making a reservation....never noticed the option before.

So now instead of 9 FNC's for Marriott, I'm down to 7 but will go up 2 more in Oct/Nov. I'm going to use all of them before the year ends and those plus 6 more nights would get me titanium. But status in the lower level Marriott's means little so not a big deal. And, while writing this out I realized I only need 6 4 more nights if I add in the 2 nights coming and get them used up!

Just wanted to share something that made me go, wow ok. DD came home from a weeklong summer camp and I asked how things went with her cabin mates. It was good, but she did mention two girls whose first questions to her were -- Girl#1 "What school do you go to? Is it public or private?" and then she proceeded to ignore DD since the answer did not pass her bar. Girl#2 "What kind of car do you drive?" and this girl too ignored DD for the rest of the week because the answer did not pass her bar either. Geez. Fortunately there were others in the cabin who could accept someone beyond what kind of school/car they have in their life!

Another question about using URs or MRs to book flights - is there a way to transfer points somehow to book a flight on AA from Burlington, VT to MCO? The specific flight I am looking for shows on AA's site, but is not available through either the chase or AmEx travel portals. I've read some articles online about transferring to other carriers like British Airways to book the flights, but I haven't been able to find a way to book that combination of airports. If not, there is a flight on United that would work, but has a layover of only 55 minutes at Dulles, which makes me a bit nervous (especially as DD 19 will be traveling alone).

Just wanted to share something that made me go, wow ok. DD came home from a weeklong summer camp and I asked how things went with her cabin mates. It was good, but she did mention two girls whose first questions to her were -- Girl#1 "What school do you go to? Is it public or private?" and then she proceeded to ignore DD since the answer did not pass her bar. Girl#2 "What kind of car do you drive?" and this girl too ignored DD for the rest of the week because the answer did not pass her bar either. Geez. Fortunately there were others in the cabin who could accept someone beyond what kind of school/car they have in their life!
While it sucks to be judged like that it sounds like it was good you got her out of her normal bubble where I assume such things aren’t asked. Not good as in she felt bad of course but good as in eye opening that there really are such shallow people out there.

Quick question. The 65K mile offer on the SW Chase, is that about as good as it usually gets for sign up bonus?

Glad she found other that look beyond financial status that they themselves didn’t earn.
That type of stuff worries me with our daughters as they attend an affluent public school system, DH works in the school system and we live just outside the district. First thing people ask, where do you live and are you a “lifer,” did you grow up in that town, I didn’t realize that living your entire life in the same town made you cool 🙄

Another question about using URs or MRs to book flights - is there a way to transfer points somehow to book a flight on AA from Burlington, VT to MCO? The specific flight I am looking for shows on AA's site, but is not available through either the chase or AmEx travel portals. I've read some articles online about transferring to other carriers like British Airways to book the flights, but I haven't been able to find a way to book that combination of airports. If not, there is a flight on United that would work, but has a layover of only 55 minutes at Dulles, which makes me a bit nervous (especially as DD 19 will be traveling alone).
Marriott points transfer to AA, and are the only way to use URs and MRs for AA miles. If you transfer 60,000 Marriott points you will receive 25,000 AA miles (that's the redemption that will get you the most miles per Marriott point). URs and MRs transfer to Marriott 1:1 (there was a 50% bonus transfer offer for MRs to Marriott that recently ended). Both URs and MRs transfer to BA Avios which is a distance-based program, and you will pay for each segment with Avios if those legs are even available to book. Avios can only be used where AA has "saver" fares and AA has changed its website so that you can't see what's a saver fare, at least it's not as transparent as it used to be.
Quick question. The 65K mile offer on the SW Chase, is that about as good as it usually gets for sign up bonus?
For the personals, yes.

Last edited:
Glad she found other that look beyond financial status that they themselves didn’t earn.
That type of stuff worries me with our daughters as they attend an affluent public school system, DH works in the school system and we live just outside the district. First thing people ask, where do you live and are you a “lifer,” did you grow up in that town, I didn’t realize that living your entire life in the same town made you cool 🙄

I've found that this type of attitude exists both in public and private schools. I went to public, my kids go to private and there is always a "I'm better than you because of where I got to school/drive" attitude from some people in both. Heck, it even gets down to the brands you wear, especially with HS girls. This also exists in adults because the "girls" with these attitudes become the moms with these attitudes that I dodge with a 10 foot pole.

I've found that this type of attitude exists both in public and private schools. I went to public, my kids go to private and there is always a "I'm better than you because of where I got to school/drive" attitude from some people in both. Heck, it even gets down to the brands you wear, especially with HS girls. This also exists in adults because the "girls" with these attitudes become the moms with these attitudes that I dodge with a 10 foot pole.
Oh, it’s definitely boys too. I had to look up “Balenciaga” when DS came home talking about some of the boys wearing them. Gosh, they are ugly!

I decided to be my own DP since the worse they can say is “no” but DH is now the proud owner of CSP and CSR. I’ll downgrade my CSR to a Freedom and then wait to apply for the CSP (and hope the 100k doesn’t go away before I can apply.)
And the support link is almost instantly available! I'm applying for DH tomorrow when he hits 3 mo. + 1 day.

It was recommended that I re-post this question here as it seems there's a number of credit card experts who frequent this thread :-)

I've had a Citi ThankYou Preferred card for many years, and it tends to be the credit card we use for big purchases that we want to collect points for (we pay these purchases off and don't carry a balance). Until recently, we were mostly using our ThankYou Points for Amazon purchases for the convenience of doing so, but I know that's not the most effective way to use them and am wondering if there's a way they can be put to use towards the Disney World vacation we're saving up for in July 2022?

I don't see Disney in the list of gift cards for redemption, nor do I see Southwest (the airline we are most likely going to be flying with). There is a Landry's giftcard if we end up eating at T-Rex or Yak and Yeti while there, but that could be risky if we don't. There's a number of gift cards to places that sell Disney giftcards (eg, Target), but not sure if I'd be able to use a giftcard to buy a different giftcard?

Any other thoughts on using ThankYou Points towards a Disney vacation or on the card/rewards program in general?

So on my wife's CSP account page it does not have the bonus tracker that I am used to seeing for the amount left to spend for the new account bonus. She was definitely eligible and did the 100k offer. Should I be concerned? Anyone recently do the CSP and not have that tracker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter