I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our trips will overlap at GW for your stay :) If you see a woman with her notes out trying to figure out what card to use to make sure we use all of our credits, with a moody teenaged boy, a feisty 9 year old boy, and a husband with an IPA in his hand - that'll be me (I'll also probably have a mai tai in one or both hands).

Had to laugh at this because yesterday I was looking at the GW restaurant menus trying to figure out if we can use our Aspires credits $250 x2, breakfast credits $50 x3, and the spend $500 get $100 Amex Offer x2. 😆

I think we'll make it since I have reservations for Bistro Molokini and Humuhumu (had to call to reserve that one).

Hawaii review, part 2 -
We moved from Wailea Beach Villas to Hyatt Residence Club in Ka’anapali yesterday, so this is our second night here.

Pros - the view is INSANE. Like picture postcard palm trees waves crashing blue ocean insane. Way better than our view in Wailea, where the ocean was off in the distance a bit. The pool here is also fantastic - lots of nooks and crannies, and shallow ledges to put lounge chairs on. There’s a good pool bar with good drinks. Food too, but we haven’t gotten anything from there.

My kids said the fitness center is really nice and better than the one at Wailea Beach Villas, which I thought was great.

They’ve also got an outdoor basketball hoop and pickleball court, and that use that space for yoga in the mornings. For those into resort-y activities, way more of those than at Wailea Beach Villas (where there really weren’t any).

Our room is REALLY nice. Not Wailea Beach Villas nice, but if that’s a 10, this is a 9. The living/dining/kitchen areas are smaller than WBV, but plenty of space for us. The two bedrooms each have a king bed, which I found to be a weird configuration. The “guest” room also has a pull out twin sleeper chair which my 15-year-old son said was comfortable. Oh! And the master has an ocean view, which was not the case at WBV. The balconies are big, with lots of comfy seats, but not much privacy, as you can see lots of other balconies from yours.

Cons - people, people, PEOPLE. This area is general seems so much more crowded than Wailea. And while the pools were small at WBV, we never saw even 1/3 of the pool loungers filled. Here, every lounger is filled, with lots of “chair hogs” holding spaces they aren’t actively using.

The ocean is beautiful here, but the beach is LAME. Again, we are from NC and are used to big wide beaches. Here, if there’s 10 feet of sand before the water, I’d be surprised, and it’s at a super steep angle. Same is true of the Hyatt and the Marriott, which are on either side of us. Farther north, where the properties look a bit more dated, the beach is MUCH wider. Since there’s so little sand, they have beach loungers set up on grass behind the sand. You have to reserve them and pay for them - no free beach chair and umbrellas like at WBV. I believe the sign said $100 for the uncovered ones and $125 for the covered ones (I assume that’s per day).

Not many food options (one step up from a “grab and go,” but not quite to a Disney QS level). BUT, the Hyatt right next door has several options, including a pool bar restaurant (Umalu), that’s waaaaay better than you’d expect for a pool bar, AND which had no wait for dinner 🙌🙌). Lots of food options close-ish, but juuuust far enough that you may prefer to drive.

Location - the drive to many excursions is a lot farther from Ka’anapali than Wailea. I’d say it’s a good 30 minutes farther to things like the airport, Haleakala Crater, Pa’ia, etc.

I really can’t decide what I prefer between here and WBV. They both have their pros and cons, and I guess I’m glad we did this “split stay” so we could experience both. And THANK YOU to @WardFam for convincing me to go with Hyatt Residence Club over the regular Hyatt - that was DEFINITELY the right call for our family!

Oh! And data point - I booked this through Chase travel portal using URs, but I was able to add my Hyatt number to the reservation at the front desk. Here’s hoping I get points for the stay, because we’ve had LOTS of room charges!
Sounds like an amazing trip! Drink a Mai Tai at Monkeypod for me!

Does anyone have experience with whether these recent changes to SW boarding number assignment for a companion pass works if the paying ticket was purchased as a Business fare that gets A 1- 15 boarding? Will my companion also be in that boarding group with me, or should I buy ECBI for her ticket? I've read that it applies to "regular" boarding assignments and to those with A-List status, but I haven't seen anything recent about whether it applies to this scenario.
In May it did not apply to my CP ticket…I was A27

Had to laugh at this because yesterday I was looking at the GW restaurant menus trying to figure out if we can use our Aspires credits $250 x2, breakfast credits $50 x3, and the spend $500 get $100 Amex Offer x2. 😆

I think we'll make it since I have reservations for Bistro Molokini and Humuhumu (had to call to reserve that one).

Haha!! I think we'll hit the Aspire x 2 resort credits easily (parking for 5 nights, also snagged a Humuhumu reservation, but online! - plus, those mai tais I'm holding :drinking1) - are they letting you use the breakfast credits for anything? I thought I read somewhere that they were a bit restrictive on those but I hope not!

Haha!! I think we'll hit the Aspire x 2 resort credits easily (parking for 5 nights, also snagged a Humuhumu reservation, but online! - plus, those mai tais I'm holding :drinking1) - are they letting you use the breakfast credits for anything? I thought I read somewhere that they were a bit restrictive on those but I hope not!

That's what the Hilton press release says. Guess I'll find out if they're following that.

"With the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit, Gold and Diamond members can now apply the credit to any eligible food or beverage purchases billed to their room up to the total daily credit value, any time of day"

https://newsroom.hilton.com/hilton-honors/news/hilton-honors-provides-us-daily-food-beverage-credit
How did you reserve Humuhumu online? I thought I looked everywhere lol!

That's what the Hilton press release says. Guess I'll find out if they're following that.

"With the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit, Gold and Diamond members can now apply the credit to any eligible food or beverage purchases billed to their room up to the total daily credit value, any time of day"

https://newsroom.hilton.com/hilton-honors/news/hilton-honors-provides-us-daily-food-beverage-credit
How did you reserve Humuhumu online? I thought I looked everywhere lol!

Thanks for that!!

I did (on 7/17) - but now I don't see where you can do that - so weird! It was on the "Restaurants and Dining" landing page for the resort.

I need advice on any good credit card deals right now. I am going to list all of mine (not just last 24 months) because I would like advice if it makes sense to close any of them. I have way more available credit than I need. I pay off balances every month and my utilization rate is about 4% at any given moment.

I am a big Disney fan (duh), but have pretty balanced credit card spending. I guess I would always like more airline miles and hotel points to encourage me to travel more. But cash back is also awesome. I think right now I am looking for best sign up deals.

07/2007 - AMEX Hilton Honors Surpsss
09/2012 - Wells Fargo Advisors Signature Visa
07/2014 - Chase Disney Premier Visa
08/2015 - Comenity Visa Caesar's Rewards
08/2018 - Target Mastercard
10/2018 - Wells Fargo Propel AMEX
09/2019 - Chase IHG Mastercard

This may be old news, but I got an email this morning that the 65k offer on the Chase SW cards ends 7/14. DH hasn’t gotten a new card since January, so I’m debating signing him up for it (I’ll try for a CP next spring - I fly more than he does, so better that it be on my account.)

I’m assuming this will work, but does anyone know - can I use his card to pay for an upgraded boarding if I’m flying solo? It’s never an issue for me to use cards with his name on them in general, but I didn’t know if SW might require that the name on the card match the name of the flyer.

Also, can any SW card refer to any other SW card, or can it only be Priority refer Priority?

I need advice on any good credit card deals right now. I am going to list all of mine (not just last 24 months) because I would like advice if it makes sense to close any of them. I have way more available credit than I need. I pay off balances every month and my utilization rate is about 4% at any given moment.

I am a big Disney fan (duh), but have pretty balanced credit card spending. I guess I would always like more airline miles and hotel points to encourage me to travel more. But cash back is also awesome. I think right now I am looking for best sign up deals.

07/2007 - AMEX Hilton Honors Surpsss
09/2012 - Wells Fargo Advisors Signature Visa
07/2014 - Chase Disney Premier Visa
08/2015 - Comenity Visa Caesar's Rewards
08/2018 - Target Mastercard
10/2018 - Wells Fargo Propel AMEX
09/2019 - Chase IHG Mastercard
Hey! You’ve come to the right place!
Right now is the best time for new cards. The Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) has an all time high sign up bonus of 100,000 points! You can use those points to book hotel, airline tickets and attractions on the Chase travel portal, or you can transfer them to airlines and hotel chains. Or you can do what I’ve been doing, buying Disney cards are my local grocery store with the CSP, then using Chase’s Pay Yourself Back feature (PYB) If you buy $1,000 in DGC you can cash it out using the 80,000 Chase points when you use the PYB feature.
You should be able to apply at any Chase bank and have the annual fee ($95) waived, but you can also just use a support link from one of us over on our private Reddit group.

Assuming you don't want advice on how to obtain business credit cards, the best personal cards right now are Chase Sapphire Preferred (100,000 Ultimate Rewards -- transferable to several hotels and airlines) and Citi Premier Mastercard (80,000 ThankYou points -- which can be transferred to several airlines). Both offers are all time highs for those cards. American Express also has several great offers right now on their Delta products (high mile and statement credit rewards). Delta Gold is the best bang for your buck at 70,000 miles + $200 SC for $0 AF (first year).

Assuming you don't want advice on how to obtain business credit cards, the best personal cards right now are Chase Sapphire Preferred (100,000 Ultimate Rewards -- transferable to several hotels and airlines) and Citi Premier Mastercard (80,000 ThankYou points -- which can be transferred to several airlines). Both offers are all time highs for those cards. American Express also has several great offers right now on their Delta products (high mile and statement credit rewards). Delta Gold is the best bang for your buck at 70,000 miles + $200 SC for $0 AF (first year).

What do you two think about closing any of my existing cards? How long do they have to be closed to try to get another sign up bonus on those cards? For example, I got that IHG card bc it had such a good hotel point sign up bonus. If I closed it, could I wait around for them to offer another similar bonus?

Mine too. He's 23 and we're planning a bit Italian adventure for next year for his engineering school graduation. We always pay for our kids flights, but they'll use points for his gf's flight and their solo excursions.

now that DS graduated and is living on his own, I expect he’ll have some travel he’ll want to do so this will be great. Once the kids are out of school, I cover the hotel/accommodations since usually isn’t more, but they get their own airfare. I normally cover group excursions because I want us

What do you two think about closing any of my existing cards? How long do they have to be closed to try to get another sign up bonus on those cards? For example, I got that IHG card bc it had such a good hotel point sign up bonus. If I closed it, could I wait around for them to offer another similar bonus?
The IHG card is a high bonus right now, waived AF and 150k points. But you would need to wait 24 months since you last got the bonus (Not the card). That would be Oct this year at the earliest. Eat. I am assuming this is the 89 AF card you got. Look back at your statements to see when you got the bonus to be sure. Did you already get your FNC for this card year? When is the AF due to hit? me personally, I would not cancel until you got your FNC or were ready to apply.

I get a lot of benefit from the FNC based on my travel. Have HIE in Spokane booked (cash price 200) and HI in Frankenmuth (cash price 170). This is on the 49 AF card, but even on the 89 AF card those aren’t bad Redemptions. I am not focused on best redemption ever but good redemptions that fit where I am traveling.

For Chase (IHG), you can only get one bonus per 24 months on that product. In September of this year, you should be eligible for a new bonus. A good rule of thumb is to close the card 30 days before you reapply, so that Chase does not re-open your old account in lieu of giving you a new card (eligible for the sign up bonus). American Express is a once-in-a-lifetime, though some people have found that after 7 years Amex "forgets" you had the card and you can reapply again. But, you have so many other options with Amex, I wouldn't try for the Surpass again (until you have run through the rest of their lineup). Note, you can only have 4 and sometimes 5 Amex credit cards open at a time and you must keep them open for 1 year before closing or Amex takes back the bonus. I wouldn't bother with Wells Fargo cards since they have relatively poor bonuses and would count against your 5/24 rule for Chase (e.g. you can only open 5 personal cards every 24 months, after that Chase will deny you without exception).

I'll address closing two of your cards - Chase Disney Visa and the IHG.

First - you can easily close the Disney Visa and then reapply some time later as you've had it about 7 years. You should move any points to a redemption card, where they won't expire. You can hold both Disney cards, the one with the fee and the free one. I wouldn't actually jump on this card to close or to reapply right away if it's the free version. I'd probably let it sit. Why get $200 for a Disney Card when you can get $1000 for a CSP?

IHG card - you are due for a free night certificate in September, so, wait until you get the certificate, and if you get it inside 30 days of your annual fee posting, close the card. if you've already paid the annual fee, at that time it will be refunded. Your points will be safe on your IHG account. You may want to reapply for this one maybe a month or so later, depending on the offer, since you value this chain. You can do this card every 2 years or so.

Others - please chime in if this info has changed. Some Chase hotel cards are delaying the FNC, but not sure if IHG is.

So, Chase operates on 5/24. you are 1/24 until you have your IHG for 2 years (in September).

Your best bet is to maximize UR's before you do anything. Get the CSP (100K points) before it goes away. If you have crazy high credit limits on the IHG and Disney, once you have your CSP consider lowering them. UR's - Ultimate Rewards are one of the most valuable and flexible points currencies. So, make them one of your priorities. If nothing else, Chase will cut you a check for the points, but you can find better values using pay yourself back, and booking hotels or transferring the points to other programs (NOT IHG).

IHG card - you are due for a free night certificate in September, so, wait until you get the certificate, and if you get it inside 30 days of your annual fee posting, close the card. if you've already paid the annual fee, at that time it will be refunded. Your points will be safe on your IHG account. You may want to reapply for this one maybe a month or so later, depending on the offer, since you value this chain. You can do this card every 2 years or so.

Others - please chime in if this info has changed. Some Chase hotel cards are delaying the FNC, but not sure if IHG is.

You're right and I'll add that I wouldn't even cap it at 30 days. Whether Chase is still prorating annual fee reimbursements or not, the value of the FNC is almost certainly going to exceed the cost ($89). So, get the FNC, cancel, and then reapply in 30 days if @cdurham1 really wants the IHG card.

This may be old news, but I got an email this morning that the 65k offer on the Chase SW cards ends 7/14. DH hasn’t gotten a new card since January, so I’m debating signing him up for it (I’ll try for a CP next spring - I fly more than he does, so better that it be on my account.)

I’m assuming this will work, but does anyone know - can I use his card to pay for an upgraded boarding if I’m flying solo? It’s never an issue for me to use cards with his name on them in general, but I didn’t know if SW might require that the name on the card match the name of the flyer.

Also, can any SW card refer to any other SW card, or can it only be Priority refer Priority?
Anyone can use the card benefits. You just need to make the purchase with that card.

Have a bunch of Clear credits. Thinking how to maximize it. No friends have taken me up on the offer yet. I don't think GC works as it doesn't go through Clear. Looks like renewal is automated, so can't renew early. Best I can come up with so far is do TCB at the $149 rate, get $10 back. Have DH's and my account separate, so get the $10 twice. It's a big IF if I'll have any plats or biz plats in a year for the renewal. If I just have one credit by then, can renew at the Delta or United rate $119 and move one account under another as family for $60.

Anyone have other thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter