• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are people getting retention offers on the Aspire? DH called and all the offered him was 10k points (which is worth $50 I think) for a very expensive card. He hasn't used it much because (understandably, I think) we haven't traveled at all this year.

Any advice?
I had a retention offer in January -- I can't recall what it was, but I think it was similar to what your dh received. I decided to cancel the card because I haven't stayed at a Hilton property in years (I always seem to find myself at Marriott properties) and I get to keep diamond status through 2022. At some point I'll probably apply for the Surpass and hopefully get an upgrade offer, but I'm not in any rush.

I'm kind of curious about this..... I have a few too many cards (even tho no af on most of them) I've been keeping open to keep the credit scores up, but I find it kind of a pain sometimes keeping track of cards I really have no use for, or even duplicates of.... what kind of hit are we talking to the score for closing cards?
Everyone is different, depending on their own profiles. Some may see no change, others could see a big dip. Main thing is to not close a card that has any sort of balance on it as that will show 100% utilization and that is when, among other things, the score starts to drop.

I’ve been playing the AA anniversary promo game. I think it started yesterday and goes for several weeks. I can’t tell if it’s random or if it actually depends on where you tap the globe to stop it spinning. I got 400 miles for landing on Seattle yesterday and 40 miles for landing on Rio de Janeiro today.
Thank you! It sounds like a great way to keep miles from expiring too.

Finally made Globalist! Plus earned the FNC for reaching the $15k spend and for earning Globalist status, should get a 3rd certificate with my card anniversary in 8 weeks. What are some cool places to use the Cat 1-4 FNC? And I just have to book the rooms by the expiration date correct?
View attachment 567124
I'm still waiting for them to credit DH one night based on $5k spend. I need to have him call. There's no rush really because we're not planning to go anywhere

I'm kind of curious about this..... I have a few too many cards (even tho no af on most of them) I've been keeping open to keep the credit scores up, but I find it kind of a pain sometimes keeping track of cards I really have no use for, or even duplicates of.... what kind of hit are we talking to the score for closing cards?
I don’t know for sure. All I can give is a data point from my own experience. DH currently has two cards to his name and no other debt. He recently (within the past few years) closed a few cards. His score is excellent and has not dipped. I have 5 cards in my name and no other debt. My score is excellent and has not dipped. Any charges to our CC is paid off immediately - we never carry a balance.

How are FICO® Scores calculated?

FICO® Scores are calculated from many different pieces of credit data in your credit report. This data is grouped into five categories as outlined below. The percentages in the chart reflect how important each of the categories is in determining how FICO® Scores are calculated.
  • 35% - Payment History
  • 30% - Outstanding Debt
  • 15% - Length of Credit History
  • 10% - New Credit
  • 10% - Credit Mix

Here is how opening a Chase CSP as was reported by Equifax affected my Fico:

850 - May 2020
850 - Opened CSP in November
850 - April 2021

Closing my last card changed nothing - but - I have about 15 open cards.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for them to credit DH one night based on $5k spend. I need to have him call. There's no rush really because we're not planning to go anywhere
The $5k spend earns 2 nights. My statement closed yesterday and I received:
2 elite nights for $5k spend - went from 28 to 30 earning Globalist
1 FNC for spending $15k
1 FNC for achieving Globalist
2 Club Lounge passes

Should be 2 nights per 5k spend. He might be able to send Chase a secure message asking why the two nights for spending 5K haven't been credited yet. If Chase tells you to call Hyatt, you might try sending Hyatt a message on Twitter. I hate calling in so I try to do as much as possible by messaging

The $5k spend earns 2 nights. My statement closed yesterday and I received:
2 elite nights for $5k spend - went from 28 to 30 earning Globalist
1 FNC for spending $15k
1 FNC for achieving Globalist
2 Club Lounge passes
Should be 2 nights per 5k spend. He might be able to send Chase a secure message asking why the two nights for spending 5K haven't been credited yet. If Chase tells you to call Hyatt, you might try sending Hyatt a message on Twitter. I hate calling in so I try to do as much as possible by messaging
Right. I meant he only needs one night to reach Globalist. He did call btw, and he miscalculated the spend. He still needs another $1200 or so...so Hyatt is going back in his wallet.

Amex Brilliant credit + $50 credit with $200 offer question:

I plan to buy a Marriott GC today using DH's Brilliant credit, I've already used $90, I was planning on buying $200 GC. He also has $50/$200 offer on his brilliant. Do you think I'll get the $200 from the Brilliant credit & the $50 for the offer?

Out of curiosity - what are the expiration dates on the 15k spend Hyatt cert and the Globalist/30 night free night cert? (One year or 180 days?) I should be getting both this month and want to plan!

Out of curiosity - what are the expiration dates on the 15k spend Hyatt cert and the Globalist/30 night free night cert? (One year or 180 days?) I should be getting both this month and want to plan!

It's difficult for me to tell because I earned both yesterday. One is classified as Promotion Award (180 expiration) the other is Standard Award (1 year expiration).

The 15k spend one is good for 1 year. The 30 night one is 180 days. If you do the Bonus Journey promo and stay 10 nights, that one is also only 180 days.

The 15k spend one is good for 1 year. The 30 night one is 180 days. If you do the Bonus Journey promo and stay 10 nights, that one is also only 180 days.

Is there a way to tell if it's from the 15k? I was sure I missed it but have a new fnc cert. My anniversary was last month though so it could be from that but would be way quicker than they've been issuing them.

I don't remember hearing much about the LLBean mastercard. This year they have had some really good promotions. For example for the next 3 months if I spend $150 at warehouse (like Sam's club) I can earn $25 for a total up to $75 if I do it all 3 months.. That is a pretty good deal if you like LLbean clothes. Of course, the bonus that you get is only good for something from their store/website. But I do like their clothes.

Amex Brilliant credit + $50 credit with $200 offer question:

I plan to buy a Marriott GC today using DH's Brilliant credit, I've already used $90, I was planning on buying $200 GC. He also has $50/$200 offer on his brilliant. Do you think I'll get the $200 from the Brilliant credit & the $50 for the offer?
Yes, it should stack. I did that last year: bought a gc and got the travel credit plus the Amex offer.

UGH. I swear, I have the worst luck. Got the CSP in-branch yesterday and just applied for the CSR and got the declination message. :(
How badly do you want the card? Willing to call reconsideration and ask? Sometimes it can still be approved. AFAIK this is the (or at least one of) Chase recon line 1-888-270-2127.

Search is being finicky but @striker1064 successfully reconned his (or rather P2s) MDD a few weeks ago, this should put you around that discussion
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3821593/post-62736456

Can you buy gift cards from Lowe's or Home Depot and get the $200 statement credit on the AMEX Platinum? It says on eligible purchases but I wasn't sure if gift cards coded in a way that AMEX would know and not give the credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter