I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard versions of this from so many friends who have kids choosing to continue through zoom for one reason or another. It tends to be because they are doing so much better without the social interaction they were getting in school. I know more kids who don't want to go back than those who do, albeit it's a limited sample size. I think this pandemic is shining a light on many issues in our society and I think this is another one of them. I'm sorry your son feels bullied - schools should be a safe place for kids and I know that they aren't in many cases. :(
My son had an issue with one kid for a few years but he wouldn't tell the principal/assistant principal the kid's name so they did nothing (he didn't want to tattle or have retaliation). When it happened again last February (2020) I emailed the teacher who told the AP who called my kid into her office, their policy being talk to the kids only. Of course he again wouldn't name the kid, so I called the AP (new to the school) and she was shocked it had been going on from 3rd to 5th grade and not only were they in the same 5th grade class, the teacher made them partners on a project. Long story short, I never got to meet with the AP since lockdown started the Friday before our scheduled meeting. They did promise to notify the middle school that they should not be in the same class.
And what NO ONE wants to admit is that all this CHANGE is what is affecting the kids more than anything! Just when they get into a routine w/ school, hey....let's change it again! Not sure why everyone seems to think 9 weeks is going to make THAT much impact on the school year. Just finish the year out and start fresh in September. BTW, going back in MI isn't affording proms or graduations, etc. We're still too locked down for any of that!
My son is struggling with anxiety, especially with tests, even though he's been remote the whole time. Our districts initially did a great job with consistency, all remote. The high school was especially hard line on staying remote, especially after the High school district superintendent died of COVID last fall. They actually started in person this week. Elementary/middle school district did full remote until end of January, then went hybrid with the kids split am/pm and the teachers teaching remote and in person simultaneously. They are now going full day in person after spring break, but still offering remote as state mandated, but have no concrete plans and are leaving it up to each school to figure it out. There will be 35 days left in the school year. DS doesn't want to go, despite his anxiety during remote, and I don't see the point of forcing him for 35 days.
Today I got an offer to do a timeshare presentation:

If your vacations have been on pause, it’s time to press play again. You’re invited to reserve a stay in Bonita Springs and fast forward to amazing new memories.

Enjoy a vacation in one of the most scenic areas on Florida’s Gulf Coast. Experience a one-of-a-kind 3-night stay at Hyatt Residence Club Bonita Springs, Coconut Plantation, all for only $299. Plus, explore new possibilities with 10,000 Bonus Points.

Begin your next adventure. You have until April 2, 2021, to purchase and 12 months to visit.*
I got that too, the location doesn't look that great. From what I see on Google maps, it is not beachfront.
I just received the Amex paypal credit that was missing from February. They've finally caught up!

I received that one for my husband and tossed it yesterday because in a moment of weakness during a call to Hilton for my FNC, I bought a Hilton Grand Vacation one for Orlando. I don't plan on buying a timeshare so I hope they aren't too high pressure.
Still missing my resort credit from Hilton Aspire from Feb 15. Ugh. I messaged and got the 6-8 weeks line.
As for the Hilton timeshare, we are doing that too. I bought pre-COVID and have extended so many times, I just bit the bullet and booked 3 nights there and 5 nights at Swan for August. I had hoped to use it for a weekend in winter when we were tired of Chicago cold.

I have had a strong reaction to my first Pfizer dose. My arm was super sore last night when I went to bed (got jabbed at 1 p.m.) and I thought that was going to be the worst of it and I had gotten off easy. But overnight I started with a fever and chills, and I’ve had fatigue, fever, chills, and abdominal pain all day. I’m not looking forward to the second dose, which is supposed to be even worse. But hopefully it will all be worth it. (I have read that people who have already had Covid tend to have a strong reaction to the first Pfizer dose, so I think this is normal.)

Gosh I hope the rental car companies overbuy to stock up on their inventory and then we can benefit from lower rental costs in the near future. Car rentals have always been part of my travel plans but Ugh... the prices.

They won't be able to overbuy because there isn't much inventory to buy. Looked at a mustang a couple weeks ago because I had to take my mom to the dealership to get her car from the shop. They only had one new one on the lot because inventory is low. Was able to go in last week when one came in to test drive it. I'll be going down and ordering one in the next few weeks, which will get it to the front of the line and me exactly what I want.

But it's also dependent on what they are able to do. Both ford and chevy last week announced slow downs due to chips because enough aren't coming out of china.

All this to say, the shutdowns, and safety stuff has caused much fewer cars to be made this year. So I wouldn't expect much change until the manufacturers are back to normal capacity for awhile. I'd also imagine it'll mean the current rental fleets will be around longer than normal.

Thanks for calming my semi-freak out, LOL!
Well not necessarily😉.
I can't help but poke the bear, lol! Remember the Seinfeld episode where they didn't have a car for Jerry.

I'm sure you will be fine!
That was exactly what came to mind for me too! lol

So when I saw the initial post, like you all, I immediately thought of the Seinfeld bit. This is a solid crew.

I have no idea if the Seinfeld bit is based on real life, but it always has me apprehensive! If you didn’t watch the first time it was shared, it really is a great bit to rewatch.

The car reservation thing happened to me last year. We got to Las Vegas and no more cars in the class I reserved. They offered a minivan or compact car. Nope. we were headed to Death Valley and wanted an SUV. Walked away and across the aisle to Alamo. Got an SUV for a few more dollars than my other reservation. I’ve rented for years and that was the first time it ever happened to me.

I’m glad we stuck with the SUV. We traveled several gravel and unpaved roads on that trip.

Oh wow ok, that’s good to know! I thought it had to be another Walgreens. Thanks!

You can definitely look elsewhere. My friend got a "leftover" end-of-the-day vax from Walgreens and was able to book a 2nd shot appt through her heathcare organization. Some sites let you specify 2nd dose, and at that point they don't ask you to prove you qualify since getting a 1st dose makes you qualified for a second. It's a bit tricky since some places may not have the kind you need, but if you keep trying you should be able to get one. Things are very tight in my county (long story) and sometimes people here have to book around midnight or 2am to find an appt.

which one did you have? and how long after did you start feeling crappy?
Pfizer. I got the shot about 7pm on Tuesday. Felt fine when I woke up Wednesday (with exception of sore arm). Felt good until about 2pm, when it started going downhill with the nausea and chills. That lasted all afternoon and evening, and I am just now feeling better, so it lasted about 8-9 hours for me with these side effects.
Wherever you end up getting an appt for a second dose, all they ask is when you got the first dose. At least that is my experience helping my family book theirs in RI. My dad and FIL got their first shot at a local town clinic but they didn't give any of the people 2nd dose appt at the 1st shot appt. They were told to wait for a call to schedule. Let's just say last week was the third week and still nothing so I ended up calling. They had no idea when they were getting the 2nd doses delivered so I ended up making a second dose appt at a state mass vaccination site. Good luck!
Wow, thanks for sharing their experience. Glad it worked out for them!
I have had a strong reaction to my first Pfizer dose. My arm was super sore last night when I went to bed (got jabbed at 1 p.m.) and I thought that was going to be the worst of it and I had gotten off easy. But overnight I started with a fever and chills, and I’ve had fatigue, fever, chills, and abdominal pain all day. I’m not looking forward to the second dose, which is supposed to be even worse. But hopefully it will all be worth it. (I have read that people who have already had Covid tend to have a strong reaction to the first Pfizer dose, so I think this is normal.)
Same here. If I had such a bad side effect from first dose I’m really dreading second. Interesting about Covid. I don’t know for sure, but I do believe I had Covid last summer. I was never tested so I’ll never know for sure, but I had every single symptom.

Another interesting data point is that my DH and my sister were both injected yesterday also. They had no side effects except the sore arm. Out of us three, I am the one with the really good immune system. I hardly EVER get sick and I’m a generally very healthy person. My DH and sister get sick with every cold, flu and virus that goes around. I never, ever take the flu shot and hardly ever take any type of medicines. I do wonder if a persons immune system has anything to do with reactions.

Have been thinking about shifting some days around for our Kauai/Maui trip. All this talk about crazy car rental prices made me think I should check. Have a 8 day rental booked on Kauai since last year at $365. If I do 11 days, it's now $1158. Or I can do a separate 3 day for $347. Hmm. Thinking maybe I should leave my original plans alone!

Has anyone seen DPs of Bonvoy Brilliant retention offers? FT DPs are very limited. Seems like most are keeping the card, which is a tough value proposition for me at the moment with the 50k cert worth less and less. AF is posting in about 2 weeks.

Trying to plan our June and July vacations. Aug we are headed to Cancun to the Hyatt Ziva. Where is your favorite Hyatt in the US?

Our experience with Hyatts is limited, but if NYC is a possibility, the Park Hyatt and Andaz 5th Avenue were great. Hyatt Union Square has very small rooms but it's super nice and is an awesome neighborhood.

DH and I got the Pfizer vaccine by chance today. First time calling around to have our names added to “no waste” lists, and third place I called said they had two vaccines available if we could get there soon, so within 30 minutes we were filling out paperwork and getting jabbed. Anyone that’s gotten a dose this way, did you have trouble getting your second? Walgreens says I can schedule the next dose by either calling or online, but I’m a little pessimistic cuz I read a news article about people not being able to get their second shot from Walgreens.
My hubby and I got our first Moderna yesterday. Similar as soon as I heard in our state that they opened to 50 ( on Tuesday) and above I called our local pharmacy. So it wasn’t a no waste list just a quick appointment. They told me our next appointment would be in 4 weeks but that we weren’t officially scheduled until we get an email. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Has anyone seen DPs of Bonvoy Brilliant retention offers? FT DPs are very limited. Seems like most are keeping the card, which is a tough value proposition for me at the moment with the 50k cert worth less and less. AF is posting in about 2 weeks.

Our experience with Hyatts is limited, but if NYC is a possibility, the Park Hyatt and Andaz 5th Avenue were great. Hyatt Union Square has very small rooms but it's super nice and is an awesome neighborhood.

With the $20 monthly food offer until December, and the $300 credit, I have no problem keeping it or the Amex Bonvoy legacy card ($10 a month credit) or the Biz ($15 a month credit for my cell phone). I've had my Brilliant since first announced in 2018 August, so I keep an eye on it closely. When it doesn't pay enough to cover the $150 in offers, it goes. So far it does what it needs to do. Have seen no DP's.

My husband works for a major Japanese auto manufacturer and they are having to shut down production for at least two weeks due to the shortages in parts like @afan mentioned. I imagine this is the case with many companies so if there’s a shortage of new vehicles now, it’s about to get worse.

Does anyone know, is there a specific SW Chase link for the new 5% offer? I tried the general link but like others have reported it only shows the old offer that expires next week. Did get the offer on P2’s IHG card.

With the $20 monthly food offer until December, and the $300 credit, I have no problem keeping it or the Amex Bonvoy legacy card ($10 a month credit) or the Biz ($15 a month credit for my cell phone). I've had my Brilliant since first announced in 2018 August, so I keep an eye on it closely. When it doesn't pay enough to cover the $150 in offers, it goes. So far it does what it needs to do. Have seen no DP's.

Yeah, that's my issue. $20 monthly food is good, but I can use the April credit before I have to pay the AF, so that's May - December (9 * $20) $180. The $300 is for direct Marriott charges only, so now I "have" to plan a paid stay or a GC purchase for a future paid stay to justify the sizable AF - and our hotel points balances are so high from the pandemic that I'm not sure it's worth it. Amex Offers aren't part of the equation for me because I have several other Amex cards, and I don't think I've seen anything on the Brilliant that hasn't been on other cards.

My husband works for a major Japanese auto manufacturer and they are having to shut down production for at least two weeks due to the shortages in parts like @afan mentioned. I imagine this is the case with many companies so if there’s a shortage of new vehicles now, it’s about to get worse.

Does anyone know, is there a specific SW Chase link for the new 5% offer? I tried the general link but like others have reported it only shows the old offer that expires next week. Did get the offer on P2’s IHG card.

This year makes my 2021 Kia Niro in it's 5th year. It's very low mileage still at a little under 17k, but if I found a new one, I might consider buying and giving this one to a family member. It would have to be completely loaded. So, was at my dealership for a small service and they had none, did a scan and couldn't find much in our area. Couple of years ago when looking for a different car, found hundreds in the style we wanted.

Just checked DD's Disney card - still no luck.

As for the Hilton timeshare, we are doing that too. I bought pre-COVID and have extended so many times, I just bit the bullet and booked 3 nights there and 5 nights at Swan for August. I had hoped to use it for a weekend in winter when we were tired of Chicago cold.
Do you mind sharing which of the Orlando Hiltons you chose? Reviews are all over the place. I'm going to end up using it sometime in September, I think. No Disney tickets at that time, maybe Universal.

You know, they get you with that almost 'free' thing. I was tempted because of the extra 10K points - worth about $250 to me! But, I've already got too many options for vacation, and they only gave until April 2nd to decide.

It's 20K per night for a standard suite there, so not unattainable if I wanted to go sometime.
I've been getting the same offer for Hilton in Orlando for over a year now....I keep ignoring it and it always seems to come back lol... I'm guessing bc travel slowed down they're still offering it(?) I can;t go to Florida right now,and when I do I already have so many points to use I can't see paying for this....(but I'm extra extra cheap)

Last edited:
Yes, I was a little annoyed that they would not schedule us for the second doses. So we basically have to stalk the website to see if any appointments are available in 3-4 weeks when we're ready for our second dose. If not, the pharmacist said I can start calling in again to see if there are "expiring doses". I don't know if this is just Walgreens or what. There is news articles online from the past day or so if you google it, but basically I wish I had known this going into it and I'm kind of ticked off that this is not going to be an "easy" process. I do know a friend of a friend that is a pharmacy tech at a Walgreens that is a bit farther out from us, so if it comes down to it I may need to call in a favor to see if they can let us know of leftovers so we can get the second dose when the time comes.

Glad to hear that it worked for them! Our state has a MAJOR deficit of shots, so that's another reason I'm pessimistic about this. We personally know people that have been trying to schedule their first dose for WEEKS now, under phase 1b, and cannot. There are never any appointments open. Our Ingles has a 4 page waitlist just to be contacted about an appointment when they DO have vaccine availability. It's a problem in our state. I saw a news article that showed that we are near the bottom for vaccine allotments. Out of the 50 states, we were like number 48 for basically getting the bare minimum number of vaccines allotted to us.
well,all I know is when my age group opened up, I had to stalk 3-4 different sites to snag an appt. First night I did 12:30 am,2 am,4 am and 5:55 am. Turns out they drop any available spots into all the sites (that I found) at 6 am- and by 6:15 they're all filled. I then did 2 6am alarms to snag a spot for me and DH. Luckily I got CVS,which had the brand I wanted,and auto scheduled the 2nd dose too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter