I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DoC posted about the rumor of the plat af going up.

This will make it a hard pass for most depending on if they add to it. I'd planned to suck it up and pay the af this year and then ask for a retention or cancel next year. This makes me think I should try for the retention now, af hit last week and just cancel it next year. But I'll travel more next year so their lounge access makes it more useful then than now. So many decisions.
Ouch! That fee is ridiculous! I guess I better get DH is CS Plat soon.

DD19 was accepted into the Nursing Program at her college yesterday. She is in her sophomore year. They have way more kids applying then they have room for. They accept 56 students each semester - and it goes by your GPA, a Test (kind of like ACT) and then an interview. She has been very anxious for the past couple of months. Even though she has a great GPA and was in the 96% in the nation for her test - she was still worried and you just never know until you actually get the acceptance letter. She was over the moon excited. Now we can all breathe again!!

DD19 was accepted into the Nursing Program at her college yesterday. She is in her sophomore year. They have way more kids applying then they have room for. They accept 56 students each semester - and it goes by your GPA, a Test (kind of like ACT) and then an interview. She has been very anxious for the past couple of months. Even though she has a great GPA and was in the 96% in the nation for her test - she was still worried and you just never know until you actually get the acceptance letter. She was over the moon excited. Now we can all breathe again!!
Congratulations to your DD! What fabulous news. Nursing has gotten so competitive.

DoC posted about the rumor of the plat af going up.

This will make it a hard pass for most depending on if they add to it. I'd planned to suck it up and pay the af this year and then ask for a retention or cancel next year. This makes me think I should try for the retention now, af hit last week and just cancel it next year. But I'll travel more next year so their lounge access makes it more useful then than now. So many decisions.

Such an odd strategy. Are there really that many people clamoring for 6-8 monthly credits they have to use and keep up with to justify a bloated AF?

So DCL summer itineraries are out for next year. My 11-night Norway/Iceland cruise will be too late in the summer (DD will start school in mid-August). Now I'm at a loss:(
Did they reverse the order? Seems like they typically went north first and then moved to the Mediterranean later in the summer. Maybe it is better monetarily since I think they had a hard time filling the late summer (Sept) cruises.

So you are just chatting, on the no annual fee cards? Are you asking to cancel or specifically asking about retention offers?
I said I was considering closing the account. When they ask why, I said that with Amex's limit on the number of credit cards that an individual can hold, I was reassessing which ones I should keep. If they play coy and go on about the card's benefits, I then ask specifically if there are any retention offers on the card.

I said I was considering closing the account. When they ask why, I said that with Amex's limit on the number of credit cards that an individual can hold, I was reassessing which ones I should keep. If they play coy and go on about the card's benefits, I then ask specifically if there are any retention offers on the card.
I just want to make sure I don't actually cancel those cards, cuz I want them.

Very excited about new cruise itineraries, especially those in Europe! I had to cancel my 60th birthday cruise this past August 2020. It was just a short 4 day of the Fantasy (which I think is the most beautiful ship in the fleet). Anyone planning to book? I really want to do the EBTA since I've never done that one before. Hope opening day prices aren't too insane! I do have a nice 125% cruise credit from my cancelled cruise to apply to the down payment. We have been fortunate to sail a lot because of frequent military rates. Time to start stocking up on Disney gift cards from Kroger when they have the 4X fuel points. May also be a reason to get the AmEx platinum card. Or is there any risk getting gift cards these days at grocery stores with that card? I used to buy them with my AmEx cash back but downgraded that card to the Magnet.

Ladies and gentlemen... I have achieved a goal 30 months in the making... I HAVE CONQUERED MY WIFE'S AMEX POPUP!

We proudly have a Schwab Platinum card now!!!!

EDIT: Proof... yeah, I've been working on this (on and off) since we were in the ORIGINAL thread! HAHA!
Congrats!!

Regarding Amex, I would love to work out a long term plan for how to maximize MRs for myself, DH, and possibly even DD (P3). I feel I understand the basic plan for Chase cards but, when it comes to working out a long term plan for MRs, I am at a loss. Right now, I have 2 amex biz hotel cards and DH has 1 so we have used a few slots already with non-MR cards. Is there a recommended order to start getting MR earning cards with 2 or 3 persons?

We are planning Hawaii next summer too... I've got 2 time frames to work with:
Right after school ends Memorial day weekend May 28-June 13 (17 days) or
June 18-July 5th (18 days) including travel dates.
Plans so far:
Fly into KOA - 2 nights - just want to visit Volcano NP - something close to the NP
KOA to OGG - 5 nights - Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
OGG to HNL - 8 nights (3 nights at AUL). Thinking Hyatt then move to AUL - if we did end of June we would spend Fourth of July at Aulani.

Man this trip is getting expensive really fast - might have to reduce AUL to 2 nights.

What dates would be best?

Last edited:
We are planning Hawaii next summer too... I've got 2 time frames to work with:
Right after school ends Memorial day weekend May 28-June 13 (17 days) or
June 18-July 5th (18 days) including travel dates.
Plans so far:
Fly into KOA - 2 nights - just want to visit Volcano NP - something close to the NP
KOA to OGG - 5 nights - Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
OGG to HNL - 8 nights (3 nights at AUL). Thinking Hyatt then move to AUL - if we did end of June we would spend Fourth of July at Aulani.

Man this trip is getting expensive really fast - might have to reduce AUL to 2 nights.

What dates would be best?
Note that the Hyatts In Honolulu are not directly on the beach, if that matters to you. We enjoyed our 2 nights at the Royal Hawaiian this past week compared to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I can’t believe this is our final day already and we head back tomorrow with an overnight in San Diego.

Did they reverse the order? Seems like they typically went north first and then moved to the Mediterranean later in the summer. Maybe it is better monetarily since I think they had a hard time filling the late summer (Sept) cruises.
Maybe that's what they did. I just don't want to go to Russia (I won't tell my Russian SIL that)!

I thought about Merrytime, but honestly I can't see spending $10k to go to the Caribbean just because it's Christmas. So I'm leaning toward going back to AK next summer and saving the rest of my gift cards for a spring break trip on one of the new ships or DD's college graduation.

Maybe that's what they did. I just don't want to go to Russia (I won't tell my Russian SIL that)!

I thought about Merrytime, but honestly I can't see spending $10k to go to the Caribbean just because it's Christmas. So I'm leaning toward going back to AK next summer and saving the rest of my gift cards for a spring break trip on one of the new ships or DD's college graduation.
I actually started off college as a Russian major and have no desire to go there. The Russian language was not for me I quickly learned.

Last edited:
I actually started off college as a Russian major and have no desire to go there. The Russian language was not for me I quickly learned.
Lol! I took Russian in high school. My dad talked me into it.

And I didn't realize this but some federal employees aren't allowed to go to Russia? People were saying on FB that they weren't allowed to travel to Russia which surprised me.

Lol! I took Russian in high school. My dad talked me into it.

And I didn't realize this but some federal employees aren't allowed to go to Russia? People were saying on FB that they weren't allowed to travel to Russia which surprised me.
I wonder which ones. My agency has no policy that we can’t go there. Maybe DoD?

So DCL summer itineraries are out for next year. My 11-night Norway/Iceland cruise will be too late in the summer (DD will start school in mid-August). Now I'm at a loss:(
Oh, that looks like such a nice itinerary, I like how it has Norway ports of call. That's a bummer it won't fit into your DD's summer. Note to self: look for schools that start in September. :scratchin

From what I remember, St. Petersburg was an interesting area. It's in Russia technically, but has more of a European vibe. There's some beautiful architecture.

P.S. Congrats on the GT decision!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter