I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I'm new here and looking for some advice on what would be the best credit card to apply for.

I am typically not a credit user but figure I may as well get one and pay it off each month if it earns me perks. I currently have one emergency credit card that I never use.... my parents opened it for me like a decade ago. I have not applied for any credit cards in the past 2+ years. I pay all bills/shopping with debit card linked to my checking account.

I have young kids but looking to start traveling more as they get older. We are looking to go on our first Adventures By Disney trip next summer. We have selected the Arizona/Utah trip for our first ABD and plan to travel June 2022. Traveling party will be me, DH, DS who will be 9, and DD who will be 5. We would hope to do a new ABD annually. That will be the extent of our travel due to limited vacation days. We will fly out of JAX, but again will probably fly only once, maybe twice, a year. We do visit Disney World regularly as we are Floridians and can easily travel to WDW on weekends. WDW trips will likely be paused for us for the next year or so though as we have a new baby on the way (due in less than a month).
I understand that 2022 ABDs start booking next week. I'm assuming that I can pay for the ABD using a credit card and earn points?

I can use whatever credit card I open to buy groceries, pay some bills, and do my online shopping. I don't think it would be too difficult to put a couple thousand dollars per month.
Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide on what credit cards I should look into!!

Hi everyone! I am traveling to Disney in November 2022. I want to pay for some of the trip with credit card points and I'm looking for some advice. Here’s my story:
CREDIT CARDS
Last 24 months: No new cards. All 3 of ours cards are at least 2.5 years.
Arrival Plus – 102,137 points
We also have a Chase Sapphire Unlimited and a Discover it, but both of those are about to be used to pay for my new kitchen countertops. 😉 This will be our first time redeeming any points, and I cannot wait! We chose to save the Arrival + for the Disney vacation because it is way better to redeem those points for travel.
ABOUT ME
Monthly spending: 1250 – 2000.
We will be driving to Disney.
Group with be 5 adults + 3 kids, two kids under 3 yo.
We are unsure of which hotel, but we do want to stay on Disney Property.
My husband can also play the CC game with me. We prefer no fee cards, even though we have the Arrival+. We pay off our cards monthly and both have excellent scores. If this goes well, we want to use cards to pay for other travel in the future!

Hi everyone! I am traveling to Disney in November 2022. I want to pay for some of the trip with credit card points and I'm looking for some advice. Here’s my story:
CREDIT CARDS
We also have a Chase Sapphire Unlimited and a Discover it, but both of those are about to be used to pay for my new kitchen countertops. 😉 This will be our first time redeeming any points, and I cannot wait! We chose to save the Arrival + for the Disney vacation because it is way better to redeem those points for travel.
ABOUT ME
My husband can also play the CC game with me. We prefer no fee cards, even though we have the Arrival+. We pay off our cards monthly and both have excellent scores. If this goes well, we want to use cards to pay for other travel in the future!
I think you should strongly consider the Chase Sapphire Preferred. It currently has an excellent sign up bonus of 80k UR after 4K spend in 3 mos. It does have a $95 AF. However, with the current sign up bonus you get a $50 grocery credit bringing the AF to $45, which is excellent considering the 80k points are worth about $1000. You can redeem Ultimate Rewards for 1.25 cpp through Chase’s travel portal, or use the Pay Yourself Back feature to use your points to “erase” grocery, home improvement store, and dining charges. For example, if your grocery store or home improvement store sells Disney gift cards you could buy a $500 gift card with your Sapphire Preferred card and use 40k UR points to “erase” the charge from your account. Ultimate Rewards are some of the easiest and most flexible points to start with, and the Sapphire Preferred, in my opinion, is a nice introductory card. With its current sign up bonus I think it’s a no brainer.

ETA: meant to tag @ropedropper too

Last edited:
I think you should both strongly consider the Chase Sapphire Preferred.

So I was thinking I could not use UR points for Disney, which is why I haven’t signed up for it yet. I thought they had to be used on the specific hotels in the Chase portal.

Hey Southwest regulars, I’m flying to MCO on Southwest next week with DH, DD13, DS12 and DS9. The flight is sold out. I purchased early bird check-in since I really want to be able to sit together, but I did it on the later side.
I have a few questions.
-I’ve never done early bird before. Will my boarding group just show up at 36 hours before flight? Do I have to do check in at some point?
- If we still end up getting a B-group even with early bird, will my newly acquired A-list status let us board before families? And if so who can board with me - I booked my 2 DSs on my reservation and DD is my companion. DH has a separate reservation number. I’m thinking a sold out flight to MCO at the start of school Vacation week here is going to have a lot of families in family boarding. And I’d hate to be behind them after paying for EB.

So I was thinking I could not use UR points for Disney, which is why I haven’t signed up for it yet. I thought they had to be used on the specific hotels in the Chase portal.
You are correct. Disney hotels cannot be booked through Chase’s Travel Portal. Which is unfortunate. However, as I mentioned above you can redeem your points with the Pay Yourself Back feature to buy Disney gift cards at grocery or home improvement stores, or if you don’t want to use gift cards, use the Pay Yourself Back feature to erase the cost of your groceries and put that money aside for future travel. I’ve done a bit of both.

Last edited:
I’ve been playing the AA anniversary promo game. I think it started yesterday and goes for several weeks. I can’t tell if it’s random or if it actually depends on where you tap the globe to stop it spinning. I got 400 miles for landing on Seattle yesterday and 40 miles for landing on Rio de Janeiro today.

Reminder to play the AA anniversary game mentioned above. My husband won 4,000 miles today!

Hi all,
I'm new here and looking for some advice on what would be the best credit card to apply for.

I am typically not a credit user but figure I may as well get one and pay it off each month if it earns me perks. I currently have one emergency credit card that I never use.... my parents opened it for me like a decade ago. I have not applied for any credit cards in the past 2+ years. I pay all bills/shopping with debit card linked to my checking account.

I have young kids but looking to start traveling more as they get older. We are looking to go on our first Adventures By Disney trip next summer. We have selected the Arizona/Utah trip for our first ABD and plan to travel June 2022. Traveling party will be me, DH, DS who will be 9, and DD who will be 5. We would hope to do a new ABD annually. That will be the extent of our travel due to limited vacation days. We will fly out of JAX, but again will probably fly only once, maybe twice, a year. We do visit Disney World regularly as we are Floridians and can easily travel to WDW on weekends. WDW trips will likely be paused for us for the next year or so though as we have a new baby on the way (due in less than a month).
I understand that 2022 ABDs start booking next week. I'm assuming that I can pay for the ABD using a credit card and earn points?

I can use whatever credit card I open to buy groceries, pay some bills, and do my online shopping. I don't think it would be too difficult to put a couple thousand dollars per month.
Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide on what credit cards I should look into!!
CREDIT CARDS
ABOUT ME
:welcome: to you Both!

Responses to either of you might be of interest to the other, because your situations are somewhat similar.

You're both in great shape x/24-wise for Chase cards which tend to be a favorite for beginners here.

The largest benefit is typically in the sign-up bonus (SUB), followed by the rewards categories. Don't be afraid to grab a big SUB and meet the minimum spend requirement (MSR) and then sock-drawer it and move on the the next great thing. Also keep your mind open about annual fee (AF) cards, until you have looked into the perks that go with them. Sometimes if you can easily use most of the perks the AF card is a great deal. Business cards don't count against Chase's x/24 count, so eventually they may come into play for you. But authorized user (AU) cards do count, so don't become an AU in 2 player mode.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) mentioned above has a great deal going on right now, and the 25% bonus on redeeming points, currently includes erasing supermarket and home improvement store purchases, in addition to the traditional bonus on travel thru the Chase portal. This is difficult to explain until you use it, but if you spend $100 on groceries this month, next month you could use $80 worth of Ultimate Rewards (8,000 URs) to pay for that portion of your bill. And the URs don't have to come from the CSP to get the bonus. You can transfer URs from other cards to the CSP then get the bonus.

And for both of you, grocery stores and Home Depot sell Disney Gift Cards (GCs), which is like getting a 25% discount on all things Disney. A little more than 25%, because I'm pretty sure you earn a few URs on the purchase, too.

Y'all will eventually be invited to our private group, where you can help a fellow member out by paying it forward to someone who helped you out (just don't pick me because I don't have the CSP 80k SUB offer available)

How badly do you want the card? Willing to call reconsideration and ask? Sometimes it can still be approved. AFAIK this is the (or at least one of) Chase recon line 1-888-270-2127.

Search is being finicky but @striker1064 successfully reconned his (or rather P2s) MDD a few weeks ago, this should put you around that discussion
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3821593/post-62736456
Thank you! Unfortunately I didn't see this until now. I had accepted my fate, lol. (And also recognized that I can probably have my mother sign up for the CSP and then transfer the 80k URs to me since I'm collecting them for trips for our birthdays at the end of next year.)

Ok guys—any recommendations for a password organizer for my parents? My dad (77) isn’t getting paper statements (has several cards) and doesn’t know how to log into his accounts. Just goes off the email saying your balance of $x is due month/day. I want to get it set up so my mom (who is much sharper now) can get into all of their accounts.
I recently set my mom (78) up with LastPass. To my knowledge she has yet to use it. I look forward to the day when she calls me and asks me where her passwords are and then for the password to get into the app. :rotfl2:

Trip report: Maui and Honolulu

Thought I’d share a credit card churning/points based trip report for a common destination amongst churners: The islands of Maui and Oahu, Hawaii.

This post is so long- sorry in advance for those who want to quickly scroll past.
Travel party: Myself and husband, 43, daughter and niece, early 20s and our younger kids, 7 and 11, known as “the lils”

Did pre-departure testing in a drive-through Walgreens pharmacy. Readily available appointments and super easy self-administered rapid test nasal swab. Results were ready in about 2 hours, sent to my email. Uploaded these to Hawaii’s safe travels portal and filled out their other entry forms. No cost for testing through Walgreens- they don’t even request insurance information.

Paid for most of our trip from Chicago to Maui utilizing Southwest vouchers we’d received for shifting us to a different flight to accommodate open middle seats. A few months prior to our departure, Southwest scrapped our return flight, so we booked Alaska Air for the return. 6 of us flew economy for both flights. Our Southwest flight was at 6am, requiring a 3:30 am exit from our home. The early departure made it possible for us to sleep on the plane. We upgraded our boarding for four of us, utilizing a Chase Southwest card which has this benefit. Otherwise we were in B boarding on a fairly full flight. Upgraded boarding got us A5-9. I’ve never done this before, but I packed a ton of food in a small cooler for the flight (frozen cheese and sausage, crackers, fresh tomato, basil and French baguette). Boy was I glad I did, because there wasn’t a single thing open at Midway prior to our departure. This fed our group well during the flight and it felt filling without being greasy, overpriced airport food. Southwest served assorted beverages (can if requested) and snack packs on each leg (Chicago-Oakland-Maui). I’m sure you’re asking how we could manage 9-10 hours of flight time on Southwest? Honestly, I’m a former airline crew member, and so it’s in my blood to be on flights for 20 hours at a time, standing or sitting on a thin bench. With six of us usually traveling, it just doesn’t seem feasible to find first class award seats. As our kids get older and we travel in smaller groups, I’m sure that will be in the cards. TIP: If you have time between flights, Southwest is pre-clearing you for Hawaii entry. They check your safe travels account and pre-screen you, providing you with a wristband. The wristband allows you to walk out the doors when arriving in Hawaii. Our connection was too tight to get in this long line, so we did this in Hawaii. Most people were pre-screened, so our wait was maybe 10 minutes and we were out the door to car rental.

I love Maui’s open air terminal. We only ever travel with carry-ons now, so we were straight out to the mini-tram to the car rental station. We waited about 30 minutes in the Hertz/Thrifty/Dollar line and another 30 minutes in the lot for a car to be provided to us. Having heard some horror stories about Hawaii entry right now, we were really pleased with this. Paid $335 for a 6 day mini-van (provided an Escalade- yay) through Orbitz, which was a great price considering how expensive car rentals are now. I had ordered drive-up pickup from Target in Maui near the airport, so we stopped there and picked up some limited food essentials and sunscreen/bug spray and a $20 booster seat.

For our first five nights we were staying at Waldorf Astoria’s Grand Wailea. While we are low-budget on flights, we are bougie with accommodations. I have learned that I am not a “I can stay anywhere” type of person. We had two rooms at GW, 5 nights each, so a total of 10 nights. I was able to get 5 nights on points, 1 FNC and four nights paid. 3 of those nights were a Hilton price match to an Orbitz/Expedia price. Hilton cash rate is about $900 with taxes and fees. Check in was long, but they upgraded both of our rooms to ocean view from terrace view due to my Diamond status and made it so that we wouldn’t have to check in/out or move rooms with our MANY, MANY different reservations. I received Diamond status by getting the Hilton Aspire Amex prior to the trip, which also provided a FNC and $250 credit at a Waldorf Astoria resort. The $250 resort credit was basically eaten up by the $45/nt self-parking fee. The points were a combination of the Hilton sign up bonus points 140k and MRs transferred 1:2 plus 40% transfer bonus during a transfer bonus period. Here’s the best part: In addition to upgrading both of our rooms, they also provided Diamond breakfast benefits for both rooms, which was $40 for each room to be used at their quick service or table service breakfast restaurant. Despite the fact that Maui food prices are INSANE ($15 for an Açaí bowl or egg/sausage breakfast croissant), the $80 benefit served our entire family a hearty breakfast each morning at the quick service restaurant. Don’t you love when you fall into a new routine on vacation? Breakfast at the quick service restaurant was our routine, and it was a lovely start to our day.

The low-down on Grand Wailea. Yes, the rooms are dated. The bathroom is huge, which is a nice plus. Everyone raved about the pools before we arrived, but I really couldn’t understand what the fuss was about until we got there. I think there are at least 7 pools, starting on an upper level and cascading to the lowest level. They are each connected by a short distance water slide. The second to final water slide leads you into a rapid type lazy river, which floats you along to the final water slide. The final water slide is a multi person side by side slide, which leads you to a calmer lazy river. That then leads you to the main activity pool, as well as baby sand pool. There’s also a Tarzan rope swing pool and a scuba dive training pool, as well as two slides which take you from the top of the activity pools down to the bottom. The activity pools (slides and Tarzan swing) were open from 10:30 am-5pm). The only thing closed was the water elevator. I can do about 90 minutes in the pool, and then I’m usually just there because my kids love it. But at GW, it was actually SO MUCH FUN to be in the pool. The water temp was great and the pools were so entertaining. I’m afraid my lils are going to be disappointed with any other hotel pool in the future!

So here’s the negatives. You have to reserve pool chairs at 4pm the night before using their online portal. Except it NEVER works. It typically just spins and drops out. Then, each morning, you have to wait in a line 10 families deep to get wristbands and your pool towels and beg for pool chairs somewhere. Most mornings they were able to accommodate us poolside, at the beach or in grass chairs. Also, service shuts down at 5pm. So no pool attendants, no ability to get a towel without going to reception. For a resort which charges $900/nt for a room, it’s not acceptable to have such poor of an IT reservation system or not to be able to get a towel past 5pm. Also, GW is a BIG resort which takes about a day to get your bearings.

Other positives about Grand Wailea: There is an absolutely AMAZING beach path that passes through all of the Wailea resorts. It is so, so picturesque. You can even catch glimpses of different luaus at various resorts, if you are into that. We saw so many birds, stray cats, roosters, etc. One day, as we walked past the Four Seasons, one of the landscaping team members noticed our sandy feet and gave us a foot shower with his hose. He asked us where we were staying and encouraged us to stay with Four Seasons in the future. When you have that kind of service from your entire team, you are doing it right! Back at GW, we enquirer about cultural activities, like lei making, hula or ukulele lessons. They put us in touch with their Cultural Director, and she arranged a morning session for just our family, where she taught us hula and ukulele. This was a highlight for my kids and I felt like they left knowing more about Hawaiian traditions and culture. This was included in the resort fee and I believe they normally provide a calendar of events, but due to COVID, they are doing this by request right now. GW provided a 1:30pm late checkout for both of our rooms. Their concierge team was great about answering requests by text- love the digital age.

I assume the only readers left on this looooong post are those planning a trip to Hawaii, so I’ll keep blathering on. Outings:

Road to Hana. We spent half our time on the resort, and half our time self-exploring. We did Road to Hana one day and utilized the Shaka app ($14.99 per tour or $30 for the 6 tour bundle. TIP: You want the bundle). This app was a trip highlight. You download the “tour” in advance and then the app uses GPS to determine your location. We named our tour guide Alfie, and he told us exactly what stops were coming up, where to park, if it was worth stopping, etc. I was REALLY nervous about doing Road to Hana because of the 600+ curves, narrow cliffs and 59 one-way bridges. But it really was manageable and it was a great day. We purposely got a late start (9:30 am) and did halfway to Hana. It was perfect for our family. We saw and swam in beautifully frigid waterfalls, stunning coastal views and ate roadside banana bread from Auntie Sandy’s. We only had one hairy experience when we came around a blind curve and were face to face with a Mack truck. We were able to reverse until we could find some shoulder and he passed. The Shaka app was so great to tell us some Hawaiian history and interesting stories along the route. I hear the Road to Hana is also called the Road to Divorce. Do yourself a favor and get the Shaka app! He does all of the navigating for you.

Lahaina. One afternoon we went to the Village of? Lahaina. We explored the huge Banyon Tree, shopped, got dinner and of course, shaved ice. The 20 somethings really liked this area’s surfer vibe.

West Maui Coastline Tour. Again, we used the Shaka app and downloaded the Coastline tour. We didn’t plan to do the whole circle, so we modified it a bit to our needs. Alfie is great because he just picks up where you are at. We went to the Iao Needle and wow is this a beautiful valley. Lots of stairs which made it clear I am out of shape. From there we looped around and stopped at an overlook to see if we could see any whales (probably too late in the season) and stopped at Leoda’s Kitchen & Pie Shop and General Store. Leoda’s Kitchen & Pie Shop had hands-down the best food we had in Maui. HUGE portions. The General Store had good prices as well for souvenirs. And Leoda’s has a REAL bathroom. There are great swimming beaches along this route. From there we went to Dragon’s Tooth Trail and the Nakalele Blowhole. For me this was our toughest excursion. The landscape changes to sheer cliff dropoffs and hairpin turns. I understand past the Blowhole it gets much worse. Our adventure was plenty for me and we headed back “home.” The blowhole was the highlight for my 20 something niece.

Overall, we found Maui to be incredibly beautiful. Just jaw-dropping scenery. And just about every excursion we did was free, or the cost of a state park admission (think $10). Food prices are up there ($23 for a burger in some places), but it IS an island. We really liked the Wailea area and would return there again if we ever visit again. We took a 23 minute inter-island flight to Oahu, which doesn’t require any additional COVID testing. Flew on Southwest again and this was a really pretty visual tour. We saw the Island of Molokai from the air and WOW, is it beautiful.

Honolulu, Oahu. We stayed at the ‘Alohilani hotel on Waikiki beach, paid cash through Orbitz, about $250/nt/room plus taxes/resort fee. The reception staff upgraded us to ocean view and Diamond Head/Ocean view. Arranged for SUPER late checkout at 8pm for a $225 fee for one room prior to our 10:30pm red-eye flight. We primarily came to Honolulu to see Pearl Harbor. We were able to get reservations both 7 days in advance and extra ressies a day in advance for the USS Arizona memorial. A heavy outing AND we left with so much gratitude. A service woman answering questions on the memorial was asked what three questions did she wish visitors would ask (great question, right?). The final thing she said, and what every American should take away, is that “freedom isn’t free.” We have the privilege of freedom because of the men and women AND THEIR FAMILIES who serve our country. We should endeavor to do our best to never take our freedom for granted.

My daughter and niece hiked Diamond head. Other than that we had pool time (the pool was FRIGID) and enjoyed ‘Alohilani’s beautiful 5th floor pool deck and lounge. We were there for Easter and they had Easter eggs in the lobby and an egg decorating activity. This hotel also has a really great activities schedule worth checking out. There were great dining options right onsite. I would recommend this modern hotel. We used Uber/Lyft for transportation in Oahu. There’s a real shortage of Uber/Lyft drivers, attributed to how cautious it seems many on the Hawaiian islands are. We even had the same Lyft driver twice, which has never happened, anywhere.

Overall thoughts on Honolulu: In a few words, it’s not for us. It’s busy, overcrowded, there’s a homeless problem which understandably stems from substance abuse or mental illness, often. I’ve never worried about stepping on a hypodermic needle on any beach, but I did there. Our expectations were low going in, so it wasn’t a surprise. Two nights there were plenty and I don’t envision us returning.

Our return red-eye flight was on Alaska. I status matched to their highest elite level from Frontier or Southwest. This got me early boarding and a chocolate (I’m fancy now), as well as the ability to move my entire party up to their elite section of the plane. While this was the same seat category, as our aircraft was shuffled, we’d ended up in the last row (non-reclining). So at least elite status got us out of those terrible seats. Any minor entitles you to early boarding, which we utilized for this full flight, mostly so we wouldn’t be forced to check our bags. We paid cash of $235 per one-way ticket, so rather economical.

Overall impressions. Our last four trips have been to FL, FL, FL and FL due to the pandemic! So it was great to get out into the world again, and it many ways it felt like an international destination. We thought the weather was perfect: hot enough to enjoy the pool/beach, but the trade winds kept you cooled down. If we return again, it would be to Maui/Kauai and maybe Aulani, because, Disney. I’d love to see sunrise at Haleakala, explore upcountry’s lavender fields and goat farm, snorkel the Molokini crater, as well as whale watch. Our hesitation to return would be probably because to the long flight times from Milwaukee/Chicago. There’s so much European travel to do for the same flight durations, that we could see Hawaii falling in more of a 5-10 year rotation for us. And ideally a red-eye, nonstop flight. Maybe even lie-flat seats, some day. 😀

Thanks so much for this. Since we didn't want to test twice and our itinerary was Oahu then Maui I rescheduled our March trip to August. But because of availability and our schedule we just dropped Oahu. Honestly the only thing I really wanted to do there was Pearl Harbor and the Arizona. I'm sad we won't be able to see it. I'm not even sure we'll keep this trip, but your report does have me leaning towards keeping it. Although that pool/towel/chair situation doesn't sound like what you'd expect at a high end resort. But those pools do sound amazing. Those app guided trips sound really nice. Because I've never been sure we're going I really haven't done much research, but your mix of resort/day trips sounds lovely. My boys and DH like to golf so I did check out the Wailea Golf course and their happy hour specials seemed more reasonable than I expected.
New Hyatt Globalists: Here’s an article on best Cat 4 for using the FNC. I’ve been to the HR Hill Country and it was really nice. Just crowded on Labor Day weekend.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/best-hyatt-category-4-hotels-family-vacation/

Thanks for sharing. I've been looking for good uses and did think of Keystone for a long weekend ski trip next winter. Or if we do go to Hawaii I'd like to stay in CA for at least a day or two and see my cousins that live there. The Grand Hyatt in San Diego looks nice.

Reminder to play the AA anniversary game mentioned above. My husband won 4,000 miles today!
Thanks! I won twice today and am 4400 miles richer!
That’s awesome. So far DH and I have both only won 40 miles each and a whole bunch of FTD coupons 🤣 I’ll just be super happy if it at least resets my miles expiration date.

Thank you! Unfortunately I didn't see this until now. I had accepted my fate, lol. (And also recognized that I can probably have my mother sign up for the CSP and then transfer the 80k URs to me since I'm collecting them for trips for our birthdays at the end of next year.)
Don't forget to refer support her from your card.

Please forgive a dumb question, I have only had the CSP for a couple of months. Everything I read says you only have to pay for a portion of your trip with the CSP for trip cancellation coverage.

If I book an Adventures by Disney tour and put a 10% down payment on my CSP and pay the rest with Disney gift cards, do I get the trip cancellation coverage with the CSP in the full amount of the trip or just the 10% paid?

Trip report: Maui and Honolulu

Thought I’d share a credit card churning/points based trip report for a common destination amongst churners: The islands of Maui and Oahu, Hawaii.

This post is so long- sorry in advance for those who want to quickly scroll past.
Travel party: Myself and husband, 43, daughter and niece, early 20s and our younger kids, 7 and 11, known as “the lils”

Did pre-departure testing in a drive-through Walgreens pharmacy. Readily available appointments and super easy self-administered rapid test nasal swab. Results were ready in about 2 hours, sent to my email. Uploaded these to Hawaii’s safe travels portal and filled out their other entry forms. No cost for testing through Walgreens- they don’t even request insurance information.

Paid for most of our trip from Chicago to Maui utilizing Southwest vouchers we’d received for shifting us to a different flight to accommodate open middle seats. A few months prior to our departure, Southwest scrapped our return flight, so we booked Alaska Air for the return. 6 of us flew economy for both flights. Our Southwest flight was at 6am, requiring a 3:30 am exit from our home. The early departure made it possible for us to sleep on the plane. We upgraded our boarding for four of us, utilizing a Chase Southwest card which has this benefit. Otherwise we were in B boarding on a fairly full flight. Upgraded boarding got us A5-9. I’ve never done this before, but I packed a ton of food in a small cooler for the flight (frozen cheese and sausage, crackers, fresh tomato, basil and French baguette). Boy was I glad I did, because there wasn’t a single thing open at Midway prior to our departure. This fed our group well during the flight and it felt filling without being greasy, overpriced airport food. Southwest served assorted beverages (can if requested) and snack packs on each leg (Chicago-Oakland-Maui). I’m sure you’re asking how we could manage 9-10 hours of flight time on Southwest? Honestly, I’m a former airline crew member, and so it’s in my blood to be on flights for 20 hours at a time, standing or sitting on a thin bench. With six of us usually traveling, it just doesn’t seem feasible to find first class award seats. As our kids get older and we travel in smaller groups, I’m sure that will be in the cards. TIP: If you have time between flights, Southwest is pre-clearing you for Hawaii entry. They check your safe travels account and pre-screen you, providing you with a wristband. The wristband allows you to walk out the doors when arriving in Hawaii. Our connection was too tight to get in this long line, so we did this in Hawaii. Most people were pre-screened, so our wait was maybe 10 minutes and we were out the door to car rental.

I love Maui’s open air terminal. We only ever travel with carry-ons now, so we were straight out to the mini-tram to the car rental station. We waited about 30 minutes in the Hertz/Thrifty/Dollar line and another 30 minutes in the lot for a car to be provided to us. Having heard some horror stories about Hawaii entry right now, we were really pleased with this. Paid $335 for a 6 day mini-van (provided an Escalade- yay) through Orbitz, which was a great price considering how expensive car rentals are now. I had ordered drive-up pickup from Target in Maui near the airport, so we stopped there and picked up some limited food essentials and sunscreen/bug spray and a $20 booster seat.

For our first five nights we were staying at Waldorf Astoria’s Grand Wailea. While we are low-budget on flights, we are bougie with accommodations. I have learned that I am not a “I can stay anywhere” type of person. We had two rooms at GW, 5 nights each, so a total of 10 nights. I was able to get 5 nights on points, 1 FNC and four nights paid. 3 of those nights were a Hilton price match to an Orbitz/Expedia price. Hilton cash rate is about $900 with taxes and fees. Check in was long, but they upgraded both of our rooms to ocean view from terrace view due to my Diamond status and made it so that we wouldn’t have to check in/out or move rooms with our MANY, MANY different reservations. I received Diamond status by getting the Hilton Aspire Amex prior to the trip, which also provided a FNC and $250 credit at a Waldorf Astoria resort. The $250 resort credit was basically eaten up by the $45/nt self-parking fee. The points were a combination of the Hilton sign up bonus points 140k and MRs transferred 1:2 plus 40% transfer bonus during a transfer bonus period. Here’s the best part: In addition to upgrading both of our rooms, they also provided Diamond breakfast benefits for both rooms, which was $40 for each room to be used at their quick service or table service breakfast restaurant. Despite the fact that Maui food prices are INSANE ($15 for an Açaí bowl or egg/sausage breakfast croissant), the $80 benefit served our entire family a hearty breakfast each morning at the quick service restaurant. Don’t you love when you fall into a new routine on vacation? Breakfast at the quick service restaurant was our routine, and it was a lovely start to our day.

The low-down on Grand Wailea. Yes, the rooms are dated. The bathroom is huge, which is a nice plus. Everyone raved about the pools before we arrived, but I really couldn’t understand what the fuss was about until we got there. I think there are at least 7 pools, starting on an upper level and cascading to the lowest level. They are each connected by a short distance water slide. The second to final water slide leads you into a rapid type lazy river, which floats you along to the final water slide. The final water slide is a multi person side by side slide, which leads you to a calmer lazy river. That then leads you to the main activity pool, as well as baby sand pool. There’s also a Tarzan rope swing pool and a scuba dive training pool, as well as two slides which take you from the top of the activity pools down to the bottom. The activity pools (slides and Tarzan swing) were open from 10:30 am-5pm). The only thing closed was the water elevator. I can do about 90 minutes in the pool, and then I’m usually just there because my kids love it. But at GW, it was actually SO MUCH FUN to be in the pool. The water temp was great and the pools were so entertaining. I’m afraid my lils are going to be disappointed with any other hotel pool in the future!

So here’s the negatives. You have to reserve pool chairs at 4pm the night before using their online portal. Except it NEVER works. It typically just spins and drops out. Then, each morning, you have to wait in a line 10 families deep to get wristbands and your pool towels and beg for pool chairs somewhere. Most mornings they were able to accommodate us poolside, at the beach or in grass chairs. Also, service shuts down at 5pm. So no pool attendants, no ability to get a towel without going to reception. For a resort which charges $900/nt for a room, it’s not acceptable to have such poor of an IT reservation system or not to be able to get a towel past 5pm. Also, GW is a BIG resort which takes about a day to get your bearings.

Other positives about Grand Wailea: There is an absolutely AMAZING beach path that passes through all of the Wailea resorts. It is so, so picturesque. You can even catch glimpses of different luaus at various resorts, if you are into that. We saw so many birds, stray cats, roosters, etc. One day, as we walked past the Four Seasons, one of the landscaping team members noticed our sandy feet and gave us a foot shower with his hose. He asked us where we were staying and encouraged us to stay with Four Seasons in the future. When you have that kind of service from your entire team, you are doing it right! Back at GW, we enquirer about cultural activities, like lei making, hula or ukulele lessons. They put us in touch with their Cultural Director, and she arranged a morning session for just our family, where she taught us hula and ukulele. This was a highlight for my kids and I felt like they left knowing more about Hawaiian traditions and culture. This was included in the resort fee and I believe they normally provide a calendar of events, but due to COVID, they are doing this by request right now. GW provided a 1:30pm late checkout for both of our rooms. Their concierge team was great about answering requests by text- love the digital age.

I assume the only readers left on this looooong post are those planning a trip to Hawaii, so I’ll keep blathering on. Outings:

Road to Hana. We spent half our time on the resort, and half our time self-exploring. We did Road to Hana one day and utilized the Shaka app ($14.99 per tour or $30 for the 6 tour bundle. TIP: You want the bundle). This app was a trip highlight. You download the “tour” in advance and then the app uses GPS to determine your location. We named our tour guide Alfie, and he told us exactly what stops were coming up, where to park, if it was worth stopping, etc. I was REALLY nervous about doing Road to Hana because of the 600+ curves, narrow cliffs and 59 one-way bridges. But it really was manageable and it was a great day. We purposely got a late start (9:30 am) and did halfway to Hana. It was perfect for our family. We saw and swam in beautifully frigid waterfalls, stunning coastal views and ate roadside banana bread from Auntie Sandy’s. We only had one hairy experience when we came around a blind curve and were face to face with a Mack truck. We were able to reverse until we could find some shoulder and he passed. The Shaka app was so great to tell us some Hawaiian history and interesting stories along the route. I hear the Road to Hana is also called the Road to Divorce. Do yourself a favor and get the Shaka app! He does all of the navigating for you.

Lahaina. One afternoon we went to the Village of? Lahaina. We explored the huge Banyon Tree, shopped, got dinner and of course, shaved ice. The 20 somethings really liked this area’s surfer vibe.

West Maui Coastline Tour. Again, we used the Shaka app and downloaded the Coastline tour. We didn’t plan to do the whole circle, so we modified it a bit to our needs. Alfie is great because he just picks up where you are at. We went to the Iao Needle and wow is this a beautiful valley. Lots of stairs which made it clear I am out of shape. From there we looped around and stopped at an overlook to see if we could see any whales (probably too late in the season) and stopped at Leoda’s Kitchen & Pie Shop and General Store. Leoda’s Kitchen & Pie Shop had hands-down the best food we had in Maui. HUGE portions. The General Store had good prices as well for souvenirs. And Leoda’s has a REAL bathroom. There are great swimming beaches along this route. From there we went to Dragon’s Tooth Trail and the Nakalele Blowhole. For me this was our toughest excursion. The landscape changes to sheer cliff dropoffs and hairpin turns. I understand past the Blowhole it gets much worse. Our adventure was plenty for me and we headed back “home.” The blowhole was the highlight for my 20 something niece.

Overall, we found Maui to be incredibly beautiful. Just jaw-dropping scenery. And just about every excursion we did was free, or the cost of a state park admission (think $10). Food prices are up there ($23 for a burger in some places), but it IS an island. We really liked the Wailea area and would return there again if we ever visit again. We took a 23 minute inter-island flight to Oahu, which doesn’t require any additional COVID testing. Flew on Southwest again and this was a really pretty visual tour. We saw the Island of Molokai from the air and WOW, is it beautiful.

Honolulu, Oahu. We stayed at the ‘Alohilani hotel on Waikiki beach, paid cash through Orbitz, about $250/nt/room plus taxes/resort fee. The reception staff upgraded us to ocean view and Diamond Head/Ocean view. Arranged for SUPER late checkout at 8pm for a $225 fee for one room prior to our 10:30pm red-eye flight. We primarily came to Honolulu to see Pearl Harbor. We were able to get reservations both 7 days in advance and extra ressies a day in advance for the USS Arizona memorial. A heavy outing AND we left with so much gratitude. A service woman answering questions on the memorial was asked what three questions did she wish visitors would ask (great question, right?). The final thing she said, and what every American should take away, is that “freedom isn’t free.” We have the privilege of freedom because of the men and women AND THEIR FAMILIES who serve our country. We should endeavor to do our best to never take our freedom for granted.

My daughter and niece hiked Diamond head. Other than that we had pool time (the pool was FRIGID) and enjoyed ‘Alohilani’s beautiful 5th floor pool deck and lounge. We were there for Easter and they had Easter eggs in the lobby and an egg decorating activity. This hotel also has a really great activities schedule worth checking out. There were great dining options right onsite. I would recommend this modern hotel. We used Uber/Lyft for transportation in Oahu. There’s a real shortage of Uber/Lyft drivers, attributed to how cautious it seems many on the Hawaiian islands are. We even had the same Lyft driver twice, which has never happened, anywhere.

Overall thoughts on Honolulu: In a few words, it’s not for us. It’s busy, overcrowded, there’s a homeless problem which understandably stems from substance abuse or mental illness, often. I’ve never worried about stepping on a hypodermic needle on any beach, but I did there. Our expectations were low going in, so it wasn’t a surprise. Two nights there were plenty and I don’t envision us returning.

Our return red-eye flight was on Alaska. I status matched to their highest elite level from Frontier or Southwest. This got me early boarding and a chocolate (I’m fancy now), as well as the ability to move my entire party up to their elite section of the plane. While this was the same seat category, as our aircraft was shuffled, we’d ended up in the last row (non-reclining). So at least elite status got us out of those terrible seats. Any minor entitles you to early boarding, which we utilized for this full flight, mostly so we wouldn’t be forced to check our bags. We paid cash of $235 per one-way ticket, so rather economical.

Overall impressions. Our last four trips have been to FL, FL, FL and FL due to the pandemic! So it was great to get out into the world again, and it many ways it felt like an international destination. We thought the weather was perfect: hot enough to enjoy the pool/beach, but the trade winds kept you cooled down. If we return again, it would be to Maui/Kauai and maybe Aulani, because, Disney. I’d love to see sunrise at Haleakala, explore upcountry’s lavender fields and goat farm, snorkel the Molokini crater, as well as whale watch. Our hesitation to return would be probably because to the long flight times from Milwaukee/Chicago. There’s so much European travel to do for the same flight durations, that we could see Hawaii falling in more of a 5-10 year rotation for us. And ideally a red-eye, nonstop flight. Maybe even lie-flat seats, some day. 😀

Thanks so much for the detailed trip report! we have a Maui/Oahu trio this July! We're also staying at GW for the first time. I'm really questioning whether we should postpone until next year though. My DH and kids aren't really excited about going (what is wrong with them?!?) and the covid restrictions/tests make me nervous that something could go wrong with that last minute. But, it just feels overwhelming to try reschedule everything since it's all on points/miles. it was great to read your experience though and know it's still possible to have a great time!

Hi folks,

Quick introduction post and question or two. I was big into churning some time ago and ramping back up in support of what we hope will be an insane 2022-2023 of Disney travel. After a year+ of balancing a full time job with volunteering with Public Health on COVID test/vaccine sites, we're ready to invest in some fun next year :) I'm 0/24 at this point and P2 (who is much more active on disboards) is 1/24. I had her get the CSP for the 80,000 point bonus last year, thinking it was too good to last (ha!). P2 has mandated layovers are not viable due to our kids issues with airsickness. We will be travelling out of a AA hub with direct Orlando flights from SW and Frontier, I'll be focusing on SW due to the few choices for transferring points to Frontier. We'd be staying onsite. Our normal monthly spend is about $2,000. We don't own a business or have any side-hustles that could be converted into a business.

My current plan is to maximize UR points and transfer to RR. Disney GCs will figure heavily into this. I did get the 5x points offer on the Disney Chase card and we'll be maximizing that. I'm thinking it would be best to get the CSR late this year (under my name) to maximize the time we get the travel benefits before cancelling prior to the second AF. P2 obviously is not going to be able to get another bonus due to the CSP. In the beginning of 2022 we hope for a good promo on the Chase SW RR card and will try for a companion pass using some combination of advanced methods, though that is a really tough spend number for us without the business card points. I'll likely do the CapitalOne Venture card promo for discounted tickets sometime before the end of year, which we'll convert into APs. That would put me at 3/24 and her at 2/24, so we have some wiggle room for good bonuses that come up. The Frontier card is also a (not great) option.

My primary question is regarding AMEX Platinum. I'm getting the 100,000 MR points offer with 10x groceries and the $200 furniture offer (disney GC at HD/Lowes), which seems bonkers good. However, I don't see a way to get the points transferred into something worthwhile to defray the remaining $350. i can't transfer to RR or Frontier, and the cash/GC rates are pretty abysmal. The remaining card benefits are not of any value to us, I'll find a way to use the two fee reimbursements but its not going to be something essential. I'm 50/50 on getting the card purely for the points cashout, but remembering to cancel the card is a frustration. Are there any angles here I'm missing? Is there a better way to use these points than the cashout given our chosen carriers?

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the detailed trip report! we have a Maui/Oahu trio this July! We're also staying at GW for the first time. I'm really questioning whether we should postpone until next year though. My DH and kids aren't really excited about going (what is wrong with them?!?) and the covid restrictions/tests make me nervous that something could go wrong with that last minute. But, it just feels overwhelming to try reschedule everything since it's all on points/miles. it was great to read your experience though and know it's still possible to have a great time!
I’m totally with you on the testing/restrictions nervousness. My personality doesn’t do well with unknowns. I wish I was more carefree about these kinds of things. Anyway...then I saw this yesterday

https://www.mauinews.com/news/local...to-require-second-post-arrival-covid-19-test/
Maui will now require a 2nd Covid test upon arrival at the airport for all trans pacific flights. Big sigh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter