• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a Chase Lowe's offer, there is a current promo where if you buy a $200 vgc in-store you will receive a $15 Lowe's e-gift card that can be used in-store or online. I had the Chase offer for $19 max back at Lowe's and paid the $6.95 activation fee. (I also bought a can of Lysol spray, which is the first time I've seen one in the stores!) The promo is printed on the receipt: the event is valid 12/3-12/9, you can claim the bonus e-gift until 12/23. On DoC, I saw there is a limit of 2 (?) but not sure how that works, I just bought one. I might go back and get more with the other cards that have the Lowe's offer.

I'd read the terms, the limit is probably associated to the rebate you have to file for and could be per household address vs per person.

I'd read the terms, the limit is probably associated to the rebate you have to file for and could be per household address vs per person.
It was super easy. All I had to do was enter an email address, the numbers on the back of the card, the amount and date of purchase. No household information was needed, and I have plenty of alternate emails I use.

Points are still earned on nights booked with points? Or only when paying with cash?

I got 'stay points' on a points reservation this past August, 2020. No cash at all paid.

So, I just went into my account and I don't see them issued on the free night stays from 2018 or 2019. And the remaining stays I had were cash, which did get stay points.

Then, it shut me out and wouldn't let me look anymore.

Delta's system is wonky tonight. I'm trying to book using miles and it won't let me online and I called and they're having trouble as well.

Long day today as son in law brought the tree guys today. I feel like I was waiting forever, but that's the 'family' plan.

Two very old and scraggly 50 foot or more tall maples came down in my back yard.

One was hollow on the inside which we did not know. You could not tell anything from just looking. So glad I decided to let it go! This area is famous for trees falling and landing on houses and they were probably 40 feet away from my house, but one huge branch reached toward my neighbor. They could have had it cut, but mostly just 'wished' it gone. These were full grown trees when I came here over 30 years ago, planted on the fence line. There are more of them, but on the other side of the fence so not my problem and far away so as not to go through my roof if they fall.

The other had been struck by lightening a couple of times and had obvious battle scars but was not a danger to homes, but still fairly close to my shed.

So now there is great firewood. SIL will take most of it to his house and I will keep some for my firepit.

Looks like it is $2149.99.
They don't usually deliver from the store, so distance from your closest store shouldn't be an issue at all, and the delivery date for my area (Maryland) is Dec 8. The Samsungs are still at a month so that's pretty good.

But - I'm seeing it at Lowes for $2249 (ends Dec 9) and you should be able to get at least 5% off if you have a Lowes card, 10% if military, and, if it were me I'd ask for a small discount from the manager, if you have no other discounts. Yes I know it's on special and there might even be a rebate, but by the time you bought a Costco membership, the price difference is gone. Home Depot is at $2499.
Did you call LG? The number inside your fridge? Is it a linear compressor model?

If so they will come replace the compressor for free including labor.

Ask me how I know lol. There was also a class action lawsuit on the linear compressors.

Thank you all for your help with this. We've found out today that in our area, basically only the GEs have a short delivery time. Everything else is a ways out, so it looks like we are going with a GE (which I really like and the one we decided on is made in the USA, so I consider that a plus).

We did call on our refrigerator, but it's a freon leak. I have saved the information on the class action lawsuit though and am definitely going to research it further. It's so frustrating. @Jax1023 Sounds like you've been down the same path...

For those people @Albort and others who ordered iphones through the Chase 1.5 PYB deal, have you received any updates? I just searched through my emails, and I can't find anything - not even a first email. They did take my points though.

no updates... :( i did get a "congrats u used your points email" but thats about it. the email did says 4-6 weeks so im planning on waiting for 4 weeks before i make a call.

FYI: HUGE change to SW next release dates...

We are currently accepting air reservations through April 11, 2021. On December 10, 2020 we will open our schedule for sale through August 16, 2021. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

This previously said June 5th so this release now covers most of Summer!!! This release occurs on Thursday!

FYI: HUGE change to SW next release dates...

We are currently accepting air reservations through April 11, 2021. On December 10, 2020 we will open our schedule for sale through August 16, 2021. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

This previously said June 5th so this release now covers most of Summer!!! This release occurs on Thursday!
Thanks. Bring on summer trips! Hopefully with vaccine in me I can go for once. Living in NYS. Book then cancel. At least SW makes that easy with points

For those people @Albort and others who ordered iphones through the Chase 1.5 PYB deal, have you received any updates? I just searched through my emails, and I can't find anything - not even a first email. They did take my points though.
I checked mine in the UR portal and it still just says 4-6 weeks. I ordered the blue iPhone 12.

For those of you who have done Hawaii, what's the best strategy? Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott or something else I'm not considering? I had always considered it out of reach but now we have some airfare credit from my husbands botched work trip from early covid, and some AA miles burning a hole in my pocket so I think we can get there. I'm going to end up 3 nights short for Marriot platinum, but don't know if the perks would be worth pushing to get it anyway as we use it to stay at the Swan and free breakfast isn't something we use a lot at Disney. I've got some time and 2 player mode. Inspire me with what's worked for you.

This weekend began the start of my first mattress run. The Hyatt bonus journeys promo for the double elite nights was too tempting to pass up. I booked a 30 night stay. I was tempted to cut that down to 15 when the newest promo was announced that would still get one Globalist when checking out in January. In the end I decided to keep my 30 night stay because I really want the suite upgrade milestone awards. In addition, the pricing had gone up and the savings between my 30 night and a 15 night stay was about $400. The 4 suite upgrade awards are worth more than that to me. With extension of the new promo into February, I may well add a few weekend stays to get another suite upgrade award. The icing on the cake will be all the extra Hyatt points earned which are part of my grand plan of travel hacking our way to Galapagos and also back to Antarctica. It feels good to be working on an aspirational trip again.

For those of you who have done Hawaii, what's the best strategy? Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott or something else I'm not considering? I had always considered it out of reach but now we have some airfare credit from my husbands botched work trip from early covid, and some AA miles burning a hole in my pocket so I think we can get there. I'm going to end up 3 nights short for Marriot platinum, but don't know if the perks would be worth pushing to get it anyway as we use it to stay at the Swan and free breakfast isn't something we use a lot at Disney. I've got some time and 2 player mode. Inspire me with what's worked for you.

My best strategy has been taking a timeshare presentation offer for 5 nights. We did this with SPG just before the merger with Marriott. I have another that we may hopefully get to use next year with Hilton.

If I had to travel hack it right now without a timeshare presentation offer then I’d probably be looking at leveraging Hyatt or Hilton. There are 4 different Hilton cards that will supply plenty of points. The Aspire card comes with a free weekend night certificate and a $250 resort credit. In 2 player mode this can get you a nice long stay at a Hilton property. You’re looking at over a million Hilton points and a couple free weekend nights.

The next plan would be Hyatt. Since Chase UR points transfer to Hyatt 1:1 you can earn a nice stash of Chase UR if you’re under 5/24.

Does anyone have the US bank altitude go card? That’s what dh got an offer in the mail for but after checking his offer is the same as the public offer. It’s still a good offer though since we’re getting denied other places
From what I have gleaned, it is a very difficult card to get unless you have a substantial relationship with USBank.

Minor redemption fail today. I had planned to use my venture card points to cover the rental car for our Orlando trip. Unfortunately, I was doing some downsizing and Left it behind. Thanks to @georgina and learning about the (more....) area of Chase, I see my SW Priority card has CDW coverage. We fly out later this afternoon for 12 days in Orlando. No parks, just relaxing at Lakeshore Reserve.
Hopefully a minor thing, but if you have a CSP or CSR those are much better cards to use for car rentals. The insurance offered by Chase on those two cards is primary, rather than secondary to your personal insurance like it is with almost all other cards, including the SW Priority.

Our Hawaii trip in 2013 was what pulled me into this hobby! We flew into Kona airport and stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa Village for 4 nights in a room that overlooked the dolphins. We spent one night in an Airbnb near the Volcanos National Park so we could visit during the day and night. We then flew out of Hilo to Oahu. We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for one night in an amazing upgraded room with a view of Diamond Head. The last 4 nights were at Aulani using DVC points. It was an amazing trip with lots of great memories! Such a fun trip to plan!!

Can anyone help me understand the DoC writeups for the Discover card bonuses? I'm trying to understand the 'double the $50" at the end of the year... I can refer P2 from ine, so essentially $50 each, what is the doubling factor? It's confusing (or I haven't had enough caffeine yet)

I currently hold a Southwest card which I've had for 4-5 years. I've been planning on canceling it and reapplying after my AF hits. With the new offer that is out, I see it goes through Feb 8. My AF (and presumably my 3,000) points posted Feb 1 last year. Would that give me enough time to cancel and reapply? Or should I just cancel early, forgoing the anniversary points in an effort to get the SUB before it goes away?

We have a stay planned for the Grand Hyatt Kauai using points from the Chase Hyatt card sign-up and some transferred from UR. The card comes with a free category 1-4 night each anniversary (can't use it for the Grand Hyatt Kauai though since that's category 6).

Also have the Grand Wailea on Maui booked with Hilton free night certificates (from the Aspire and one from spending 15k on the Hilton biz card). If you use Hilton points, you can get 5th night free. The standard rooms at the Grand Wailea are 95k points/night. The Aspire comes with a free weekend night that you get pretty soon after sign-up, then again on your anniversary. That's rather unique among the hotel cc perks, most make you wait a year. There's no category limitation on the Hilton free night, but it has to be a standard room.

When I called to use the Hilton certificates a couple months ago, I was offered the timeshare package of 5 nights for $699 in Waikoloa (Big Island). We own a timeshare we can exchange into the Hilton Grand Vacation Clubs, so didn't go for the offer. We've stayed at Kings' Land before and enjoyed it a lot, have plans to go back.

If you go to the Big Island, would highly recommend staying a night or two near Volcanoes National Park. Like @disneybirds we've stayed at vacation rentals. If you want to use points, there's a Hilton Doubletree in Hilo. It looks pretty nice and I considered it last time, but decided I wanted to be closer to the park.

I currently hold a Southwest card which I've had for 4-5 years. I've been planning on canceling it and reapplying after my AF hits. With the new offer that is out, I see it goes through Feb 8. My AF (and presumably my 3,000) points posted Feb 1 last year. Would that give me enough time to cancel and reapply? Or should I just cancel early, forgoing the anniversary points in an effort to get the SUB before it goes away?
The advice I have seen is to cancel the SW card 30 days or more before applying for another so the old card clears out of their system.
Not sure if that advice only applies to applying for the exact same SW personal/ business card or if you apply for a different SW card the time frame is less...hopefully others know

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter