I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dipping in to say hi-haven't been on the boards for a long time basically because it's 2020 and I haven't had much to say in the world of churning. That said the September 2020 has been the icing on my year cake so far. Just a reminder that a diverse portfolio of points and miles can be so helpful when things hit the fan!

My uncle died after a 6 week battle with pancreatic cancer September 7th. Using DL miles DH and I were able to fly up to MCI on Friday, used my CSR to rent a car (primary renter's insurance), dipped into my Bonvoy points for a hotel room the night before the funeral, then used Hyatt points for a hotel close to the airport Sat night, flying back on DL. OOP costs for a last minute trip for 2 to the middle of nowhere MO <$300. If I'd had more United or American airlines miles I could've flown to Columbia, MO rendering a rental car unnecessary (note to self- get more of those, lol).

The day after the hurricane hit, my father was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer. So I'm now at my parents' home in Alabama. I'll use DL miles to fly back home for a few days to keep some appointments, then return after that. They have an Embassy Suites and an AC hotel within walking distance so during the holidays (which will very likely be Dad's last), I fortunately have Hilton and Bonvoy points we can use to not overwhelm Mom (or sleep on the couch). I should also have enough of both to put up Dad's fraternity brother who wants to come and say good bye as the end nears.

TL;DR-it's good to have flexible currencies (MRs, URs and/or TYPs) as well as hotel/airline currencies that you tend to use the most often for life's unexpected curveballs. I had no idea when I got the Hilton Aspire last November how helpful their points would be and although I'm a Hyatt fangirl, it never hurts to have a Bonvoy stash!

So I just tried it (had to use the app as for some reason the Chat area on my computer just spins endlessly)... told them I wanted to cancel; they asked why; I answered vaguely...

And then they said I had to call.

:rolleyes2

@KPK02090 I'll be interested to hear whether you were successful doing it over chat!
I’m literally chatting now - Saying I can’t justify the annual fee to see what they say.
She pulled up my account and asked “ what other payment method are you using for your other purchases...”
I panicked not sure what the right answer was.
I said we have another card from another bank...

So I just tried it (had to use the app as for some reason the Chat area on my computer just spins endlessly)... told them I wanted to cancel; they asked why; I answered vaguely...

And then they said I had to call.

:rolleyes2

@KPK02090 I'll be interested to hear whether you were successful doing it over chat!
So I just got off chat. They asked what other card I was using to point out how many points I can earn with the Hilton biz on things other than travel. I then said "yes, but the points would be used for travel, which isn't happening much these days." So it was hard to justify the annual fee. Then I decided to straight up ask if they could waive the annual fee for a year.
She said she couldn't do that because it came with the card, but "because they value my loyalty" she could offer a $50 statement credit. No spend required. So I said ok to that.
I'm ok with basically now a $45 annual fee and hope it helps me with avoiding Amex pop-ups in the year to come.

So I just got off chat. They asked what other card I was using to point out how many points I can earn with the Hilton biz on things other than travel. I then said "yes, but the points would be used for travel, which isn't happening much these days." So it was hard to justify the annual fee. Then I decided to straight up ask if they could waive the annual fee for a year.
She said she couldn't do that because it came with the card, but "because they value my loyalty" she could offer a $50 statement credit. No spend required. So I said ok to that.
I'm ok with basically now a $45 annual fee and hope it helps me with avoiding Amex pop-ups in the year to come.
That’s fantastic! A lot of DPs are circulating of Amex offering retention if you ask and are considering a cancellation! Nice job!!

Yes. We took DD when she was 10 months old and had planned to take her at 22 months old but COVID hit. The only reason we did that was because we have a big age gap and our teenage sons all wanted to go. It's so frustrating to take a toddler to Universal. The kids play areas (like Barney) are ok, but way old (I mean, my 19-year-old wasn't even into Barney - that's more from the late 90's). And what was most annoying to me is that almost everything in Seuss Land has height restrictions. She was unable to do almost all of the rides there.

The best part, for her, of the time there was interacting with Hashtag the Panda while waiting for the Jimmy Fallon ride (which, of course, she was too small to ride). But she LOVED Hashtag, and he loved her. We got some special treatment because of it.

I will say that we were unique and elicited some sweet responses from people as I don't think they see many babies at Universal.
I watched Barney some but I’m 26. They definitely should retheme that area but I’m not sure if it’s open right now anyway. Might be a good time to consider changing things up.

Yes. We took DD when she was 10 months old and had planned to take her at 22 months old but COVID hit. The only reason we did that was because we have a big age gap and our teenage sons all wanted to go. It's so frustrating to take a toddler to Universal. The kids play areas (like Barney) are ok, but way old (I mean, my 19-year-old wasn't even into Barney - that's more from the late 90's). And what was most annoying to me is that almost everything in Seuss Land has height restrictions. She was unable to do almost all of the rides there.

The best part, for her, of the time there was interacting with Hashtag the Panda while waiting for the Jimmy Fallon ride (which, of course, she was too small to ride). But she LOVED Hashtag, and he loved her. We got some special treatment because of it.

I will say that we were unique and elicited some sweet responses from people as I don't think they see many babies at Universal.
Very true that UO is not geared the very young (or old). For some of us, the lack of strollers and scooters is a plus! We get enough of the at WDW, although in 20 years we may be of scooter age ourselves.

I tried to take advantage of Starbuck's free drink day (when you order a grande or larger from the app for in-store pickup). Tried to place order from my house -- the app couldn't find a location near my house (there's a large store less then 3 miles away). No problem, I will drive to the plaza as I need to pick up a few things from the grocery store. Sitting in front of Starbuck's, app still cannot find a location :headache::headache:. I call CS -- wait time is over 20 minutes, so I elect to have them call me back while I am shopping. Call comes and the CS tells me that they are "in the middle of a system update" and she is not able to access anything (why wouldn't they do this after midnight?). She suggests that I uninstall the app, then re-install; this won't work for me as I don't remember my password and don't want to deal with the hassle while I am grocery shopping. The rep says too bad, that's all that she can do "to help" :headache::headache:. After I have loaded the car with groceries I decide to try mobile order again; this time the app can find the location, but "order ahead unavailable" (I took a screen shot). How can this be since the entire premise of the promotion is to order ahead to earn the free drink? Rant over, thanks for listening!

Hi everyone, I asked a question a while back about chase freedom unlimited or discover it cash back. I’ve been doing some more research about what I can do with chase rewards. We live in the PNW so the best flight to MCO is from Alaska air. My question is, it seems chase doesn’t offer Alaska air in their rewards center and I’ve heard that you don’t want cash back because it doesn’t pay back much. So should I go with the discover card instead? It seems to make more sense to me, but I would appreciate some more experienced thoughts.

Dipping in to say hi-haven't been on the boards for a long time basically because it's 2020 and I haven't had much to say in the world of churning. That said the September 2020 has been the icing on my year cake so far. Just a reminder that a diverse portfolio of points and miles can be so helpful when things hit the fan!

My uncle died after a 6 week battle with pancreatic cancer September 7th. Using DL miles DH and I were able to fly up to MCI on Friday, used my CSR to rent a car (primary renter's insurance), dipped into my Bonvoy points for a hotel room the night before the funeral, then used Hyatt points for a hotel close to the airport Sat night, flying back on DL. OOP costs for a last minute trip for 2 to the middle of nowhere MO <$300. If I'd had more United or American airlines miles I could've flown to Columbia, MO rendering a rental car unnecessary (note to self- get more of those, lol).

The day after the hurricane hit, my father was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer. So I'm now at my parents' home in Alabama. I'll use DL miles to fly back home for a few days to keep some appointments, then return after that. They have an Embassy Suites and an AC hotel within walking distance so during the holidays (which will very likely be Dad's last), I fortunately have Hilton and Bonvoy points we can use to not overwhelm Mom (or sleep on the couch). I should also have enough of both to put up Dad's fraternity brother who wants to come and say good bye as the end nears.

TL;DR-it's good to have flexible currencies (MRs, URs and/or TYPs) as well as hotel/airline currencies that you tend tuse the most often for life's unexpected curveballs. I had no idea when I got the Hilton Aspire last November how helpful their points would be and although I'm a Hyatt fangirl, it never hurts to have a Bonvoy stash!
Sorry to hear about your Uncle and your Dad's diagnosis. I'm glad your churning habit can help make things a little easier. Prayers for your family during this stressful time!

I tried to take advantage of Starbuck's free drink day (when you order a grande or larger from the app for in-store pickup). Tried to place order from my house -- the app couldn't find a location near my house (there's a large store less then 3 miles away). No problem, I will drive to the plaza as I need to pick up a few things from the grocery store. Sitting in front of Starbuck's, app still cannot find a location :headache::headache:. I call CS -- wait time is over 20 minutes, so I elect to have them call me back while I am shopping. Call comes and the CS tells me that they are "in the middle of a system update" and she is not able to access anything (why wouldn't they do this after midnight?). She suggests that I uninstall the app, then re-install; this won't work for me as I don't remember my password and don't want to deal with the hassle while I am grocery shopping. The rep says too bad, that's all that she can do "to help" :headache::headache:. After I have loaded the car with groceries I decide to try mobile order again; this time the app can find the location, but "order ahead unavailable" (I took a screen shot). How can this be since the entire premise of the promotion is to order ahead to earn the free drink? Rant over, thanks for listening!
I hear you! I was able to take advantage eventually! Frustrating for sure. What we put up with for free coffee!

I had issues with the app today too. I was just across the street from SB in a parking lot and it couldn't find the SB location. I then parked in front of SB and it took several tries for the app to recognize the location, and then several minutes more to order because it kept giving me an error. I did finally get my coffee though. I remember one time when I got charged wrong there, I contacted them through email. They credited my account several dollars for my trouble. If email is still an option, you could try telling them about your experience. Maybe you'll get a free coffee for your trouble. :coffee:

Hi everyone, I asked a question a while back about chase freedom unlimited or discover it cash back. I’ve been doing some more research about what I can do with chase rewards. We live in the PNW so the best flight to MCO is from Alaska air. My question is, it seems chase doesn’t offer Alaska air in their rewards center and I’ve heard that you don’t want cash back because it doesn’t pay back much. So should I go with the discover card instead? It seems to make more sense to me, but I would appreciate some more experienced thoughts.

I'm also in the PNW and prefer flying Alaska to MCO. (We do SW occasionally but those really are terrible flight times!) I've booked Alaska flights in the Chase portal in the past.

URs can be cashed out for .01 each. They can be worth more if you have some of the other chase cards, but there's nothing wrong with taking them as cash back if that's what you want to do. I would compare the categories/cash back percent/bonus offers for the chase unlimited, chase freedom flex, and discover it to see which one better fits your spending.

TL;DR-it's good to have flexible currencies (MRs, URs and/or TYPs) as well as hotel/airline currencies that you tend to use the most often for life's unexpected curveballs. I had no idea when I got the Hilton Aspire last November how helpful their points would be and although I'm a Hyatt fangirl, it never hurts to have a Bonvoy stash!
I'm sorry to hear about your uncle and your father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter