I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've discovered a few things this year.....
1) I'm extremely risk averse,DH is even more so. No travel outside local daytrip stuff.
2) DH will try to avoid taking ANY time off work unless I force him (aka vacation) which I haven't been able to do since last February (see #1) (so glad we took that short NYC weekend when we did)
3) I will still find ways to spend my points (thanks CSR PYB feature) to treat myself in various ways b/c of #1 ( :rotfl2: )
So My travel expenses this year are tiny, but I'm making up for it in other wonderful little ways that make life sweet (b/c what else can I do?) I have a new infrared sauna :-)love:) a new kitten, a fully stocked pantry and freezer,a generator (finally) and tons of wonderful memories with our daytrips together,along with (oh so careful) time with fam and selected friends.... It's actually been a great summer. And various jobs around the house that got finished this year.
:moped: Do I miss traveling to different places? YES. DO I miss my family who lives 1500 miles away? YES. I can't wait to go visit them again. And I can't wait to go visit some beloved travel destinations again.
But in the meanwhile,I'm not gonna complain (too much)
I'm in a similar place as far as missing travel but spending those funds/points to make life sweeter where we are. DH put in a new patio to complement the deck we redid last year. I used Chase PYB to offset the cost of the $$$ patio set I've been wanting for 3 years and patio heaters to extendnd our outdoor entertaining season. We also got the kids a clubhouse and a pool, which got ample use this year with no camp. We bought new kayaks and bikes to be able to better enjoy time outside (also lots of hiking and creek exploring for free!). While we didn't take an AK cruise and have canceled next month's Disney trip (rebooked for spring break, fingers crossed!), we have still taken PTO and spent time enjoying ourselves right where we are!

Woke up to a big fat denial.View attachment 527843
View attachment 527844

Starting from the top. From what they see in currently 4/24. AS drops off in Nov, then the plat, gold and Hilton. Gold hasn't hit yet. Oh and my cip that I got after AS plus 1 I closed last month. And they've approved me with the same info before so thr 2nd one is bunk. My chase cl is about 50% so maybe that's an issue but they gave me cips with these same cls and my one cip is only 1k. And I'm making more money now than when I applied for those.

Ok the premier was opened in june so maybe but c'mon.
The 2nd I don't even get. I have a mortgage and student loan and most of the accounts of them, if they posted a balanced, posted with a small balance, I pay them every week. The only high one is 400 something for the last bit of the treadmill mom owes me. Which also goes the same to too many balances. And that report only has 3 inquires cause chase is the only one that pulls it.

I'm sure it's the 4/24 but it kills me when I see what stats others are getting instant approval on. They also don't even give me a number to call just tell me to write if I don't agree so this is just a loss. Oh well... Might just be time to leave them as it's not like they'll give me one any time in the next 2 years at this point.

Also not willing to lower my cl. I have 3 personal, csr and c.f. are both at 10k so I can pc them. Hyatts at 3500 and I don't want it lower.
I'm sorry, that just sucks!

The CSR earns 10x UR on up to $1,500 in “streaming” purchases until 9/30. Select streaming services includes “iTunes Music.” iTunes credit reloads trigger the bonus category. At the end of July, Apple did away with the distinction between “iTunes/App Store” GCs and “Apple Store” GCs. There is just one Apple credit currency that’s tied to your Apple ID that can be used to purchase digital products and services on the iTunes and App Stores and actual merchandise from the Apple Store. That is, iTunes credit can be used to buy Apple hardware. (Alas, this change very likely means we won’t be seeing very many 10-20% discounts on iTunes GCs anymore.)

If you have a CSR, add your CSR to your Apple ID account and select it as your payment method (to avoid confusion and the risk iTunes charging to another card, I would remove any other forms of payment because the purchase screen doesn’t show you what card you’re using). From the iTunes Store app, scroll all the way down, click on your Apple ID, and Add Money to Account. Load your Apple ID account with funds in fixed denominations up to $500 per transaction. Word of caution, this is very prone to triggering fraud flags on both Apple’s and Chase’s end, particularly if you’re loading $500 at a time. Have your phone nearby to clear Chase fraud alert texts as they come. If iTunes “locks up” and won’t let you make a purchase, you’ll need to contact Apple support to clear it up. This is a security lock to prevent unusual purchases on your account.

Once the funds are loaded to your Apple ID account, you can go to the Apple Store online, and at checkout it’ll give you the option to apply your Apple ID credit to your purchase. I would also try to stack this by going through a shopping portal. Check cashbackmonitor. Apple occasionally does elevated bonuses through the airline portals, about once a month or so.

P.S. While this will give you a pretty substantial return on URs, you are ultimately buying the MacBook using essentially a gift card that carries no extended warranty protections. The best card you could put this on would be an Amex Platinum you don’t intend to close in the next 2-3 years. Alternatively, if you go the gift card route, I would consider buying Apple Care for the device.
Will a GC purchase trigger the 10X UR credit? I tried to pay from my Apple account, but I'm only getting 3 options: pay with cc on file, add a new cc or use an Apple gc. This could be unique to Cdn purchases, I'm not sure.

My friends... it deeply troubles me that I am missing South Fayette games this year. 😔

Live streams have been bad thus far. If you’re willing to take a minute and vote for SOUTH FAYETTE below so that maybe they’d get a professionally produced live stream in a couple of weeks, I’d really appreciate it!

(you don’t have to check any of the boxes to subscribe but make sure to click submit)

https://tribweb.secondstreetapp.com/TribLIVE-HSSN-Game-of-the-Week---Oct-2/gallery/

I'm sorry for your pain, so I voted. Didn't even know what sport it was for until I opened the link. :rotfl:

I am working on the same issue and posted about it in the FIRE thread. You've gotten some good answers already. My suggestions are to do some research at various financial advice sites and pay close attention to their assumptions to see how much they match your situation or not. For example, someone mentioned the 80% guidance, which is good, but does not match my situation at all, because I am currently saving a lot. more than it assumes and I should therefore need much less than 80% of current income. I'm quite certain I spend nowhere near 80% or current income now.

My other suggestion, if you are not doing so already, is to get a good handle on what you're spending now (and on what). To me, that's the starting point, more so than current income. Once you know how much spend and on what, you can start fine tuning. For retirement, things that might go away (or reduce) include
  • expensive daily lunches (if you eat at home instead of 5-day take out)
  • commuting costs
  • certain kid-related expenses (depending on their age relative to your retirement)
OTOH, you might want to travel more and spend more on that (but maybe offset it a bit by going more off-season) or heath insurance might go up depending on your current benefit structure. And though you might no longer support children directly, there's a good chance if you have grandkids you'll want to treat them more than you expect.

Obviously there are plenty more things to consider in both directions. But IMO knowledge of what you spend now is the biggest tool in your arsenal to figure this out.
My spending will go down significantly next year as my youngest graduates college. However, given the economy this year, it is not entirely clear that I won't be supporting adult children (and who knows for how long) going forward. Also graduate school will be in the cards for at least one child and even though DH and I will not be paying tuition, we MIGHT subsidize living expenses. SO I guess I have no idea of my spending. We are saving quite a bit, so that should go down in retirement. Also, we should drop tax brackets in retirement so will be keeping more income. I just don't know. I need o do more research and I might need a financial planner.

My spending will go down significantly next year as my youngest graduates college. However, given the economy this year, it is not entirely clear that I won't be supporting adult children (and who knows for how long) going forward. Also graduate school will be in the cards for at least one child and even though DH and I will not be paying tuition, we MIGHT subsidize living expenses. SO I guess I have no idea of my spending. We are saving quite a bit, so that should go down in retirement. Also, we should drop tax brackets in retirement so will be keeping more income. I just don't know. I need o do more research and I might need a financial planner.
Also, tax rates/brackets in the future are highly uncertain. I think it would be unrealistic to think rates don't have to increase. So hard to figure this all out but I err on the side of caution.

Also, tax rates/brackets in the future are highly uncertain. I think it would be unrealistic to think rates don't have to increase. So hard to figure this all out but I err on the side of caution.
Good point!

I'm looking at purchasing Universal tickets with points. I see I can get one day multi park with SW points or I can buy multiple days, one park per day with URs. I really want 2 day multi park. Am I overlooking where I can get those using points somewhere? Or will I need to burn a ridiculous amount buying everyone two sets of 1 day tickets?

I'm looking at purchasing Universal tickets with points. I see I can get one day multi park with SW points or I can buy multiple days, one park per day with URs. I really want 2 day multi park. Am I overlooking where I can get those using points somewhere? Or will I need to burn a ridiculous amount buying everyone two sets of 1 day tickets?

I haven't looked lately but we bought multi-day tix through the UR portal for our July trip. Are there different options in the drop-down menu?

Omg r/churning stop being idiots. I updated with my denial in last weeks dp thread but as the new one started today I posted that I was denied and had updated last weeks thread and gave a link to it. Idiot proceeds to ask why I was denied so yes I totally told him to go read the link. Omg I can't with these people sometimes.

View attachment 527844

Starting from the top. From what they see in currently 4/24. AS drops off in Nov, then the plat, gold and Hilton. Gold hasn't hit yet. Oh and my cip that I got after AS plus 1 I closed last month. And they've approved me with the same info before so thr 2nd one is bunk. My chase cl is about 50% so maybe that's an issue but they gave me cips with these same cls and my one cip is only 1k. And I'm making more money now than when I applied for those.

The 2nd I don't even get. I have a mortgage and student loan and most of the accounts of them, if they posted a balanced, posted with a small balance, I pay them every week. The only high one is 400 something for the last bit of the treadmill mom owes me. Which also goes the same to too many balances. And that report only has 3 inquires cause chase is the only one that pulls it.

I'm sure it's the 4/24 but it kills me when I see what stats others are getting instant approval on. They also don't even give me a number to call just tell me to write if I don't agree so this is just a loss. Oh well... Might just be time to leave them as it's not like they'll give me one any time in the next 2 years at this point.

Also not willing to lower my cl. I have 3 personal, csr and c.f. are both at 10k so I can pc them. Hyatts at 3500 and I don't want it lower.
did they email you?

View attachment 527844

What does it mean that they looked at your business credit report? Is this something that they look at only for business cards?

did they email you?

They emailed me that I needed to log in and go to statements and letters to find the letter. Better than having to wait for a paper one in the mail.

What does it mean that they looked at your business credit report? Is this something that they look at only for business cards?

There is one for actual biz and if you wanted to turn your sole prop into an llc you could do it. If I remember correctly it's dunn and broadstreet or similar. But that's not the actual reason they denied me, I mean they've given me othet biz cards with the same info. It's the too many cards I'm sure which is dumb cause others have gotten it recently at 4/24. Or it's the too recent new card of July. Why personal cards matter when this is for biz expenses I think is dumb but it makes sense.

View attachment 527844

Ouch. Hard denial. I don’t think lowering your credit would have helped honestly with everything else they slammed you on :(

Does Chase usually let people know when a sign-up bonus is ending - in particular I'd love to know how long I have to sign DH up for a card with the 5% on groceries for the 1st year.
I just got the CFU with the 5% on groceries and I'd like DH to sign up for either a CFU or a CFF. I'd like to wait a few months so that the 1st year doesn't completely overlap. So when my year of 5% on groceries is up his is still going for a few more months. Make sense?

Ouch. Hard denial. I don’t think lowering your credit would have helped honestly with everything else they slammed you on :(

Right? Not expecting to be able to raise the limit ob my cip to pc it either at this point. It's fine, I'll move on. This card wasn't in my plan anyway.

Also getting downvoted for telling the person to click the link. So now the rest of the comments on the post are hidden which really helps the guy that called me lazy and copied my post from the other. Sorry for linking to it so people could read the entire thread and not just one comment. Also don't care if they downvote me considering some of the stuff they upvote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter