I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
P2 got the 30 day message for his Hyatt card application yesterday, but now 30 hours later it is in his account! The anticipation after hearing the 30 day message made it even more exciting. lol

I missed the news earlier this year about the Hyatt card, but until June 30 new applicants get 10 elite night credits (instead of the usual 5 elite nights) that come with the card AND you can earn 3 nights per $5000 spend instead of the usual 2 nights per $5000 spend. I hope it gets here soon!

Does anyone know how to get a credit on one card to be applied to another with a balance? I have a CIP that now has a negative balanc due to a cancelled summer camp and touring broadway showing cancellation. Before i realized they were refundung these i used my CIC for ssome VGC’s. I‘d love to be able to apply the credit on the CIP to the charges on the CIC if possible. I looked at the balance transfer option under SM but that didnt look like an option. The CIP is, of corse, my newest card so closing it to get Chase to refund the credit probably isn’t the best option. If i can‘t get the credit applied, its not the end of the world, i would just rather have one pay another if that makes sense.

Does anyone know how to get a credit on one card to be applied to another with a balance? I have a CIP that now has a negative balanc due to a cancelled summer camp and touring broadway showing cancellation. Before i realized they were refundung these i used my CIC for ssome VGC’s. I‘d love to be able to apply the credit on the CIP to the charges on the CIC if possible. I looked at the balance transfer option under SM but that didnt look like an option. The CIP is, of corse, my newest card so closing it to get Chase to refund the credit probably isn’t the best option. If i can‘t get the credit applied, its not the end of the world, i would just rather have one pay another if that makes sense.

Send an SM, they will move it for you. Just make sure to specify exactly which cards are involved in the process if you have multiple under your account.

Last week when I sent an SM to Chase asking them to do this, they got back to me saying they would send a refund and to watch for an email. A day later I received an email and had to add my bank account information, the refund was deposited the next day.

Don’t know if this is something new or not, since the last time I asked it was at least 6 months ago and they transferred the credit from one card to another

We may be heading to Sanibel/Captiva also once we know what Disney is doing with our reservation. They are not really communicating about resort reservations past 7/10. Guess those people don't really need to be able to plan :rolleyes: I'm happy to hear recommendations on good places to go!

I can't imagine - especially if you have to travel any sort of distance, it makes it super stressful to "plan" without knowing anything! Hopefully you get some direction soon.

We would normally go to Destin/30A for a beach trip to visit friends, but we didn't want to drive more than 2 hours, and figured we should try somewhere new for us. We are excited!

@SouthFayetteFan - any suggestions for restaurants and activities in Sanibel/Captiva? After cancelling our Disneyland trip next month, we decided to finally head to Sanibel - we are only 2 hours away and have never been!

We enjoyed eating at the Bubble Room. Very kitschy place. Food was good. We rented bikes and rode all day long. We just did a day trip to the island during a long weekend trip to the area.

P2 got the 30 day message for his Hyatt card application yesterday, but now 30 hours later it is in his account! The anticipation after hearing the 30 day message made it even more exciting. lol

I missed the news earlier this year about the Hyatt card, but until June 30 new applicants get 10 elite night credits (instead of the usual 5 elite nights) that come with the card AND you can earn 3 nights per $5000 spend instead of the usual 2 nights per $5000 spend. I hope it gets here soon!

Is there anywhere that explains the benefits of this (how many nights you need for things, etc). DH and I just opened Hyatt cards, but I don't really understand how many elite nights you need and what they get you lol!

We enjoyed eating at the Bubble Room. Very kitschy place. Food was good. We rented bikes and rode all day long. We just did a day trip to the island during a long weekend trip to the area.

That looks awesome! We love unique places like that. Thank you!!

Is there anywhere that explains the benefits of this (how many nights you need for things, etc). DH and I just opened Hyatt cards, but I don't really understand how many elite nights you need and what they get you lol!

You should be able to go to your Hyatt account and see the levels. There is a chart here. You need 10 nights for Discoverist (or the Hyatt card gives you this status), 30 nights for Explorist, and 60 nights for Globalist.

Well, I decided to go ahead and get the CF. I’ll be 5/24 until early October. Third quarter categories were a little disappointing, but I might be able to use a few Whole Foods purchases to help build my UR stash for my grocery cash outs I’ll do for May/June. Going to try to encourage my older son to get a CF also. He’s starting his senior year in college and has had his student discover card long enough that his credit score is pretty good for a college student (he told me it was around 750).

I’m happy with how I’ve been taken care of as a CSR holder. I was concerned with the direction things were going when they raised the AF last winter, but the temporary changes in grocery earnings and pay yourself back deals are a very good thing. I’ll probably keep it when my AF rolls around this fall and I had been thinking of PCing.

Well, with all the talk of y'all headed to Florida for Disney World, Sanibel, etc., we decided to pull the trigger on a Florida trip. We'll be down in Orlando over Xmas, but we need a vacation sooner, BAD! We were gonna do Chicago in August, but we just couldn't decide on it since we don't know if places will be open by then. So, we booked a trip to the Keys! It'll be our first time there; we've been talking about it for years, so we are excited! And yes, we love the heat, so that shouldn't be a problem for us. I'm only slightly concerned about Hurricane Season, but with the Covid cancellation policies, I can cancel flight and hotels if needed for a full refund. We got ridiculously cheap ($40pp roundtrip) airfare into FLL, so we'll be renting a car and driving down, and staying in Marathon (on IHG points) to be centrally located to go either way (towards Key West or Key Largo). If anyone has any recommendations on food, or snorkeling spots, I'd love to hear about it.

If Bonvoy shows points availability for a standard room and a better room with a pay with points upgrade option, is it possible to use a FNC and pay with additional points to get the better room. Or, can FNC only be used for the standard room. I think the answer is no since Bonvoy's language on the terms of the FNC say not "at this time," but I wasn't sure if it was something that could be done with the right rep on the phone. Thanks.

Interesting thing I noticed about my credit score - having a mortgage raises it by about 20 points. The bank that has my mortgage merged with another bank, so my mortgage was temporarily reported as paid off on my credit report. A new one in the new bank's name was added a couple of weeks later. When the original mortgage was reported as paid, my credit score and DH's score both dropped by 20 points. They rebounded by exactly the same amount when the new mortgage was added in. Anyone else noticed something similar?

It did cause some stress when I got notices from all my credit monitoring services that my score had dropped by so much for no apparent reason, but now I think it's an interesting natural experiment. For those who have actually paid off their mortgages - did your scores drop permanently, or did they inch back up over time?

Send an SM, they will move it for you. Just make sure to specify exactly which cards are involved in the process if you have multiple under your account.
Last week when I sent an SM to Chase asking them to do this, they got back to me saying they would send a refund and to watch for an email. A day later I received an email and had to add my bank account information, the refund was deposited the next day.

Don’t know if this is something new or not, since the last time I asked it was at least 6 months ago and they transferred the credit from one card to another

Thank you both! When I chose the "balance inquiry" subject on a SM it told me it can't be done. I'll just choose the "other" subject and ask there. The worst they can do is say no, but I figured it's not that unusual of an occurrence. Glad to know that its been done recently.

I’ve been seeing this Goldbelly offer on a bunch of our Amex cards so finally looked it up to see what it is. They ship regional specialty type foods, like Tucson tamales, New York bagels, Maryland crabs, etc. Anyone use them before? I was thinking about buying e-gc to maximize the %off but wasn’t sure how it would code with amex. I don’t know if it fits a bonus category or not. If it does, I want to put the offer on my correct cards.

I’ve been seeing this Goldbelly offer on a bunch of our Amex cards so finally looked it up to see what it is. They ship regional specialty type foods, like Tucson tamales, New York bagels, Maryland crabs, etc. Anyone use them before? I was thinking about buying e-gc to maximize the %off but wasn’t sure how it would code with amex. I don’t know if it fits a bonus category or not. If it does, I want to put the offer on my correct cards.
I haven’t but have been very tempted.

Interesting thing I noticed about my credit score - having a mortgage raises it by about 20 points. The bank that has my mortgage merged with another bank, so my mortgage was temporarily reported as paid off on my credit report. A new one in the new bank's name was added a couple of weeks later. When the original mortgage was reported as paid, my credit score and DH's score both dropped by 20 points. They rebounded by exactly the same amount when the new mortgage was added in. Anyone else noticed something similar?

It did cause some stress when I got notices from all my credit monitoring services that my score had dropped by so much for no apparent reason, but now I think it's an interesting natural experiment. For those who have actually paid off their mortgages - did your scores drop permanently, or did they inch back up over time?

This, along with my rental being cash positive is part of why I don't worry about my mortgage. Or my student loan for that matter. Total of both is under 70k anyway. But they help the over all look of my credit since I have never had a car payment and would prefer not to. I'll be interested to see what people say and if those that have paid off their house only have cc cards for their score and if that would potentially cause problems with getting a mortgage or car loan.

Question: Which secured card should I apply for?

Background:

-CIU Biz 2/19

I need to build my credit before I apply for the "good" cards again (was declined CSP this month due to not having credit history). My score is 663.

I opened BoA checking and savings accounts this month to build a relationship with them, intending to go for their Cash Rewards card later. Today, they sent me a pre-approval for their Secured Cash Rewards card. It looks exactly the same as the card I had wanted to get from them later, without the $200 bonus with a $1000 spend (and of course needing a deposit, which isn't a problem).

This card gives 3% in category of choice (I want gas savings), 2% grocery and warehouse (side question: does that include Walmart?), 1% everything else.

Should I go ahead and get that, giving up the $200 bonus later?

Or, should I apply for the Discover It Secured card, which was highly recommended to me here already? It gives 2% on gas and dining, 1% everything else, PLUS will match my cashback at the end of my first year.

I'm leaning toward the Discover It, based on the good experience friends here have had, and the higher gas savings in the first year. And I could then apply for the BoA with the $200 bonus later.

Is it easy to get approved for Discover It? Or should I take the pre-approved offer from BoA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter