I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got some upcoming spend don’t know what card to try for lol. Thinking of Amex. Not sure to try for Marriott, Hilton or a Amex point earnings card. 1/24 and no travel plans until 2022 😢😢😢

I have a schwab question. If I want a schwab platinum amex and open a brokerage account for the bonus, can I use an old Keogh account to transfer in?

Did the extended time frame for Amex end on May 30th for the COVID-19 for minimum spend? Has any credit company extended it?

Last edited:
I have a schwab question. If I want a schwab platinum amex and open a brokerage account for the bonus, can I use an old Keogh account to transfer in?

I believe you should be able to. Just make sure to request a "direct transfer", so the money does NOT go through your hands in order to avoid potential taxes and penalties. It will prolly work best to have Schwab initiate the transfer, as they will be much more eager than the losing company

ETA: Rereading, you may be asking if a direct transfer into Schwab from another Keogh can be used to meet some kind of new brokerage account bonus? My guess is yes, but I don't know for sure

Last edited:

Did the extended time frame for Amex end on May 30th for the COVID-19 for minimum spend? Has any credit company extended it?
I've heard that Chase added 3 months to meet SUB for some CIP customers who were approved in early April. This was not the case for my CIP approved in late March, and I'm not sure about other companies.

Last edited:
Nostalgia night. Beauty and the Beast is my 30 yo DD's favorite Disney movie. We always try to catch the stage show when at HS. I dragged DH to the theater to see the live action version when it came out. Home alone this weekend and just watched the live action version again on DVR. Forgot how much I liked it. And yes, there were a few tears (perhaps it was the glasses of wine?) Miss Jerry Orbach though.

Nothing card related going on here. Going to PC my CSP when annual fee hits 7/1. We will both be under 5/24 next month. I may go for CFU on DH's referral but that's about it. Life is boring right now!

A belated happy 1k pages to us!

Tomorrow will be the day I call Virgin Atlantic to try and book our Japan tickets for next May...I'm very excited but also nervous because I don't see any availability on the United calendar for the weeks prior to our date...I DO see availability in April still so I have that in mind as a backup. I am planning to book the outbound flight for the day I want and then the return flight for the next day and then pay the $50 change fee when our real return flight date opens up. @Haley R and @calypso726, I think y'all have used this method to book flights to Japan via VS - do you or anyone else have any thoughts on my plan? Pitfalls I haven't thought of?

Some flexibility with your schedule helps. You may also find more availability out of IAH, ORD, JFK, IAD, etc., than from the west coast airports. Good luck!

Also, with Chase biz cards on hold indefinitely I am thinking of applying for the World of Hyatt card for me and DH in July. I want to book the Park Hyatt Kyoto and the Hyatt Regency Tokyo in Japan, but would rather lose Hyatt points than URs if we end up having to cancel next year. I'm seeing offers for 25k pts/$3k spend or 50k pts/$6k spend in 6 months. That's the best available offer through either support links or direct through Chase, right?

Fingers crossed with planning your Japan trip! I'm really excited for you! I've got Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto planned over two trips in the upcoming year, so I love seeing others' trip planning.

Hyatt has some pretty spectacular properties in Japan, and some of them offer phenomenal value. The hitch is Hyatt opens its calendar availability 13 months in advance, and some of their high value, in demand hotels can fill up quickly. The impact of the pandemic on travel may have people pausing on making reservations a year out, but Hyatt has made it pretty easy to change or cancel most reservations with no penalty up to 24 hrs. before check-in through July 31, 2021. Hyatt also delayed its category changes and introduction of peak/off peak pricing to 2021. So it's probably safest to book now (or as soon as you can) and change or cancel if you have to later. Hyatt award nights are supposed to be available when standard rooms can be booked with cash, so even if a hotel isn't showing award availability when you search you can keep searching or set up OpenHotelAlert and something may pop up. (But if people are holding their reservations until 24 hrs. before check-in, you may be waiting a long time.)

I think the Hyatt card is a great alternative to UR-earning cards. Hyatt's awards chart is very reasonable, and you'll get some great value on Hyatt points at some nice properties. And again, Hyatt has put off its category changes and peak/off peak pricing until next year. The common refrain about Hyatt is that it doesn't have as expansive of a footprint at Marriott or Hilton, but that's not really an issue in Japan. The best offer on the Hyatt card right now is the tiered 50k Hyatt points for $6k spend in 6 months SUB. (Please consider using a DISer's supportal link — it’s the same as the public offer.) Since this card is subject to the 5/24 rule and 24-month restriction on the SUB, you should try to spend the full $6k so you don't miss out on the additional 25k points.

My concern is you're eyeing the Park Hyatt Kyoto for next May and Hyatt's calendar is already open into next July; but you're hesitant to move over UR>Hyatt and not planning on getting the Hyatt cards until July, and may not hit the MSRs on them for a few months more. I wouldn't hesitate. May is a popular time to travel to and in Japan. If you’re counting on the SUB from the Hyatt card(s) to book the Park Hyatt Kyoto, it may be too late by the time the points finally post. I agree with @Judique that transferring UR to Hyatt is one of, if not the best use of UR points in terms of cpp. I have the Park Hyatt Kyoto booked for 4 nights during peak sakura season, when standard rooms cost over $1,700/night (netting me 5.67+ cpp). (The hotel sold out for my dates pretty quickly.) Because the Park Hyatt Kyoto is such a tremendous value, and it's a new hotel that's been getting a lot of attention on social media and the blogosphere, it's a very popular redemption. And consider Hyatt points are relatively easy to earn in the form of UR. The Park Hyatt Kyoto is also a small hotel, with only 70 rooms and obviously fewer standard rooms that are open for booking with points. Again, since Hyatt is allowing generous changes and cancellations with no penalty through next July, if people hold on to their reservations up to 24 hours before check-in, you may never see availability open up again. If you have dates and find availability, I'd bite the bullet and transfer your UR to Hyatt to get the Park Hyatt Kyoto locked down. You can do a lot worse with your UR than having them tied in Hyatt.

Last edited:
Good Evening dis'ers!
I applied DH a few weeks ago for the Chase personal card. Spend $4000 get 60,000 UR's. He scoffed at the oddacity that I thought we would spend $4000 in 3 months with us not taking any of our trips and we are plenty stocked up on groceries. Ha boy was he wrong. We decided I would still take my vacation time and we would paint several rooms in our house. Not only did we decide to paint, we put down new flooring and we are replacing the ceiling tiles in the room that was converted from a garage. We are also putting up some new lighting, and shelving. Boom $3000 and only 2 weeks with the card. Oh ye of little faith. :rotfl2::rotfl2: We are using this years vacation money to pay for the upgrades.
I may have had a minor melt down at Home Depot today though, ( I went dirty, sweaty and hungry) to buy more paint though. We started with 5 gallons and used all of it. We only needed 2 more gallons to finish tomorrow. We use the Behr Marquee 1 coat guarantee (it really only needs one coat and we are painting over some wood paneling :crazy2:). They were out of all the 1 gallon cans of that specific type.The paint guy said well you can use this one, (one step down from the Marquee) and get the same results you will just have to do 2 coats. No freaking way am I doing a second coat, I'm so over painting I barely want to do one coat. So I spent an extra $120 on a 5 gallon bucket for the convience of only having to do 1 coat. :confused3 I should of had a snickers bar. I only told DH they were out of 1 gallons, I didn't mention the other part of the conversation.

Some flexibility with your schedule helps. You may also find more availability out of IAH, ORD, JFK, IAD, etc., than from the west coast airports. Good luck!

Fingers crossed with planning your Japan trip! I'm really excited for you! I've got Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto planned over two trips in the upcoming year, so I love seeing others' trip planning.

Hyatt has some pretty spectacular properties in Japan, and some of them offer phenomenal value. The hitch is Hyatt opens its calendar availability 13 months in advance, and some of their high value, in demand hotels can fill up quickly. The impact of the pandemic on travel may have people pausing on making reservations a year out, but Hyatt has made it pretty easy to change or cancel most reservations with no penalty up to 24 hrs. before check-in through July 31, 2021. Hyatt also delayed its category changes and introduction of peak/off peak pricing to 2021. So it's probably safest to book now (or as soon as you can) and change or cancel if you have to later. Hyatt award nights are supposed to be available when standard rooms can be booked with cash, so even if a hotel isn't showing award availability when you search you can keep searching or set up OpenHotelAlert and something may pop up. (But if people are holding their reservations until 24 hrs. before check-in, you may be waiting a long time.)

I think the Hyatt card is a great alternative to UR-earning cards. Hyatt's awards chart is very reasonable, and you'll get some great value on Hyatt points at some nice properties. And again, Hyatt has put off its category changes and peak/off peak pricing until next year. The common refrain about Hyatt is that it doesn't have as expansive of a footprint at Marriott or Hilton, but that's not really an issue in Japan. The best offer on the Hyatt card right now is the tiered 50k Hyatt points for $6k spend in 6 months SUB. (Please consider using a DISer's supportal link — it’s the same as the public offer.) Since this card is subject to the 5/24 rule and 24-month restriction on the SUB, you should try to spend the full $6k so you don't miss out on the additional 25k points.

My concern is you're eyeing the Park Hyatt Kyoto for next May and Hyatt's calendar is already open into next July; but you're hesitant to move over UR>Hyatt and not planning on getting the Hyatt cards until July, and may not hit the MSRs on them for a few months more. I wouldn't hesitate. May is a popular time to travel to and in Japan. If you’re counting on the SUB from the Hyatt card(s) to book the Park Hyatt Kyoto, it may be too late by the time the points finally post. I agree with @Judique that transferring UR to Hyatt is one of, if not the best use of UR points in terms of cpp. I have the Park Hyatt Kyoto booked for 4 nights during peak sakura season, when standard rooms cost over $1,700/night (netting me 5.67+ cpp). (The hotel sold out for my dates pretty quickly.) Because the Park Hyatt Kyoto is such a tremendous value, and it's a new hotel that's been getting a lot of attention on social media and the blogosphere, it's a very popular redemption. And consider Hyatt points are relatively easy to earn in the form of UR. The Park Hyatt Kyoto is also a small hotel, with only 70 rooms and obviously fewer standard rooms that are open for booking with points. Again, since Hyatt is allowing generous changes and cancellations with no penalty through next July, if people hold on to their reservations up to 24 hours before check-in, you may never see availability open up again. If you have dates and find availability, I'd bite the bullet and transfer your UR to Hyatt to get the Park Hyatt Kyoto locked down. You can do a lot worse with your UR than having them tied in Hyatt.

Shoot, I didn't consider that...I had wanted to wait until I could get our flights locked down...I will look into booking that first and transferring the UR to cover. I had thought the booking window wasn't open quite so early.

I currently have 12 tabs open for United, r/awardtravel, ANA's award booking portal, Virgin Atlantic's page...I've read through the last 20 pages of the thread on redeeming VS miles on ANA on FT and my head is spinning. This is the most work I've had to do to make a redemption ever. Currently trying to wait up until the VS phone lines open at 1 am Central so I can call and hope that there's 2 F spaces available on the day I want to travel.

I currently have 12 tabs open for United, r/awardtravel, ANA's award booking portal, Virgin Atlantic's page...I've read through the last 20 pages of the thread on redeeming VS miles on ANA on FT and my head is spinning. This is the most work I've had to do to make a redemption ever. Currently trying to wait up until the VS phone lines open at 1 am Central so I can call and hope that there's 2 F spaces available on the day I want to travel.
Good luck! Hopefully they don’t spell your name wrong like they did for Dh lol

Updating to say after one failed phone call where I choked and forgot to lead with my dummy return booking, I HUCA'd and got a very nice rep who was able to get us 2 seats in J for the outbound trip on our requested date! I spent 10 minutes on hold for the first call and 5 minutes on hold the second call.

Getting my "real" return date will be tricky - I'm going to have to call back a couple times to get everything shuffled how I need it to be - but I'm very relieved to have half of this redemption done.

Edited to add: this was all out of IAH/Haneda, just FYI.

Good luck! Hopefully they don’t spell your name wrong like they did for Dh lol

The rep was very helpful and confirmed all the spellings with the NATO phonetic alphabet so I hope we are safe!

Last edited:
Hyatt also delayed its category changes and introduction of peak/off peak pricing to 2021.

Hopefully this is true for most Hyatt properties. The one I go to in Ocean City, Maryland has not been delayed. The point cost increased to 20K from 15K for this summer. It happened sometime in the last month or less.

Well, we got our letter from Chase, and the problems were - outstanding debt on credit accounts too high, credit card balances grew too fast, one or more requests for new credit in the past 12 months, and one or more revolving accounts have a high balance compared to the credit line.

DH only has 2 Chase cards (and an ancient Capital One). I only have 1 Chase personal card (SW), so I’m guessing the biggest red flag was that we did have a massive balance on DH’s CSR. I paid that off before “he” applied for the Freedom, but I guess I should have waited a little longer between paying it off and applying.

Any thoughts on how long until he can apply again??? Our credit score is really, really good, so I was pretty shocked to get declined.

Also, I was planning to apply for the CSR next week. In light of this letter, should I wait??
I would wait until his next CSR statement closes and shows a 0 or low balance

You made a
Good Evening dis'ers!
I applied DH a few weeks ago for the Chase personal card. Spend $4000 get 60,000 UR's. He scoffed at the oddacity that I thought we would spend $4000 in 3 months with us not taking any of our trips and we are plenty stocked up on groceries. Ha boy was he wrong. We decided I would still take my vacation time and we would paint several rooms in our house. Not only did we decide to paint, we put down new flooring and we are replacing the ceiling tiles in the room that was converted from a garage. We are also putting up some new lighting, and shelving. Boom $3000 and only 2 weeks with the card. Oh ye of little faith. :rotfl2::rotfl2: We are using this years vacation money to pay for the upgrades.
I may have had a minor melt down at Home Depot today though, ( I went dirty, sweaty and hungry) to buy more paint though. We started with 5 gallons and used all of it. We only needed 2 more gallons to finish tomorrow. We use the Behr Marquee 1 coat guarantee (it really only needs one coat and we are painting over some wood paneling :crazy2:). They were out of all the 1 gallon cans of that specific type.The paint guy said well you can use this one, (one step down from the Marquee) and get the same results you will just have to do 2 coats. No freaking way am I doing a second coat, I'm so over painting I barely want to do one coat. So I spent an extra $120 on a 5 gallon bucket for the convience of only having to do 1 coat. :confused3 I should of had a snickers bar. I only told DH they were out of 1 gallons, I didn't mention the other part of the conversation.
You made a good call in my opinion! I have found changing paints mid project (even in the same brand) will change the color. I know they color match but the consistency difference maybe? 🤷‍♀️ Nothing worse than getting all done and having different colored walls! Anyway you will just have to find something else to paint paint with the other 4 gallons lol!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter