I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have experience canceling an AA web special? Our nonstop changed to one with a stopover so I should’ve able to cancel. Website still says Web special can only get points back for a fee.

I promise I won’t be posting as many pictures because I’m sure it’s getting annoying, but this is what I get to wake up to every morning now. Dh sticks him down in front of me and then wakes me up 😍
If pictures of your baby annoy people I will not rest until they are banned from the DIS...nay, banned from life itself!!! We wants the baby pics!! It’s the only hope some of us have right now 🤣

EDIT: To be clear, I have absolutely no power to ban anybody from the DIS... or from life... I basically wield no power whatsoever, it was a joke, haha!

Last edited:

Anyone have experience canceling an AA web special? Our nonstop changed to one with a stopover so I should’ve able to cancel. Website still says Web special can only get points back for a fee.
I’m curious about this as well. I have 3 Web special flights booked this fall, and I’m ASSUMING given the current circumstance for cancellations they would refund miles without a fee. But it’s AA, so nothing would surprise me. Would also appreciate hearing anyone else’s experience with this.

I mistakenly booked for the wrong date last November (with thanksgiving so late). I waited till 2 days before the flight hoping they’d make a change to the flight. They didn’t so I had to pay the fee to get the points back. My DH had recently opened a citi AA card with a $200 AA credit so it only cost us $25.
Our actual flight was changed by AA (went from early evening to late evening). It was a web special. I called AA as soon as the change happened and they switched us to a flight of our choice (early morning) with no fees or extra miles used.
So I would definitely call with a flight you’d rather be on and see if they will change it for you.
We have web saver flights for July that I’m going to need to cancel but I think with the new policies in place, I should be able to get the miles back without a fee (fingers crossed!)

We don't have any business that we could attempt to use, no, and I'm only looking for entry level deals here. I don't see us opening oodles of cards in the next year. I've seen here that's it's lucrative, but my DH is risk adverse and I'm in the middle and we just don't vacation that often to juggle all the dates and requirements and AFs!

Meeting the MSRs is def my biggest challenge along with evaluating paying AFs against travel we'll actually use. We don't regularly make lots of big purchases and keep a frugal budget, so I'll be in trouble if I really don't think through when we'll be able to meet the spends. Buying supplies for a new deck, paying for summer camp (if it happens!), and Christmas shopping play into my timeline since I don't want to lose my maxed out Amex grocery cash back and that's our biggest, most reliable credit card expense every month. Thank goodness for spreadsheets!

Maybe I'll be a pro by next year and can handle next level offer juggling! :cool:

I did look at their card too, but would ultimately only get one specific airline card given how infrequently we fly. JetBlue seems to have the smokin' deal now and I prefer the assigned seat. Now that I have more insight from you all though, I'll be crunching numbers further! I love all the tips I've gotten over the years here- I'll totally find that gift card thread!
Ok - I've remained silent here so far (work was so busy this week), but I'd like to weigh in with some advice. I really think you should re-evaluate your position on business cards in general and consider the Barclays Jetblue Business card. Any side hustle can potentially qualify you for a biz card. Things like mowing lawns, babysitting, consulting work, selling on e-bay, teaching piano, tutoring, and so on could all be considered a small business sole prop for this purpose.

https://cards.barclaycardus.com/banking/cards/jetblue-business-card/
This offer is pretty good:
Earn up to 60,000 bonus points // Earn 50,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days and earn 10,000 points when a purchase is made on an employee card in the first 90 days.

And to my knowledge, JetBlue remains one of if not the only airline mile/pts currency where you can do family pooling- so you could combine your points.

This card also earns 2x JetBlue points on restaurants and office supply stores. You might be able to funnel some of your MSR through gift cards sold at Staples or Office Max to pad the earnings a bit! Although with just a $1,000 MSR you'll probably knock that out in no time.

I reached out to my man @PolyRob for a little JetBlue card intel as this isn't a points currency I've been spending time with recently. With a low $99 annual fee and a $1,000 MSR, this offer is fantastic. It gets you free checked bags, awards you 5,000 pts on your card anniv. I don't have a great handle on what Jetblue points are worth, but a quick google search shows that you're probably in the neighborhood of 1.4 cpp which makes this a better deal than a CSP which had previously been recommended.

To be honest, if you know what airline you're going to fly, and it's a domestic trip with one of the major carriers, I say it's usually better to earn that specific airline's currency than more flexible points. Earn JB pts to fly JB... save URs for other travel expenses.

If you each applied for this biz card and managed to get approved, you'd probably be looking at $1,500+ in free flights with free checked bags. AND since they are biz cards, you wouldn't affect your 5/24 status leaving Chase cards as an option in the future. There is no support link for the Jetblue cards, BUT if you opt to go in a different direction (i.e. Chase) there are support links out there for that.

With that in mind, you also might consider joining our DISchurners reddit group which has some great info, guides, and ways to pay it forward to the group when you apply for certain cards (i.e. support links). If you're interested, drop me a quick PM here on the DIS.

Thanks - hopefully this helps some!

EDIT: Ok...am I crazy or am now considering an application for this card even though I have no intentions to fly JetBlue and I have like 800k SW points??? 🤣 🤣 🤣 I wonder how else I could use these points! Off to research... haha!

Last edited:
I mistakenly booked for the wrong date last November (with thanksgiving so late). I waited till 2 days before the flight hoping they’d make a change to the flight. They didn’t so I had to pay the fee to get the points back. My DH had recently opened a citi AA card with a $200 AA credit so it only cost us $25.
Our actual flight was changed by AA (went from early evening to late evening). It was a web special. I called AA as soon as the change happened and they switched us to a flight of our choice (early morning) with no fees or extra miles used.
So I would definitely call with a flight you’d rather be on and see if they will change it for you.
We have web saver flights for July that I’m going to need to cancel but I think with the new policies in place, I should be able to get the miles back without a fee (fingers crossed!)
Thanks.
I just need to cancel. Flight was home from a Disneyland trip I’ve canceled 😥 but hopefully rebooked in August.

FYI, I know lots of people are trying the Amazon/MR bonus thing but I don’t have an MR Card. I just logged into my Amazon account to find a banner with a similar offer, 20% off for using Discover cash back bonus to pay. I have had the offer before but my order usually doesn’t qualify since it’s never an item from Amazon itself. Today I was able to order DS a new beanbag chair 20% off, used $1 cashback (I know I could have used .01) and paid with my Discover Card, free shipping. Win win.

Last edited:
Ok - I've remained silent here so far (work was so busy this week), but I'd like to weigh in with some advice. I really think you should re-evaluate your position on business cards in general and consider the Barclays Jetblue Business card. Any side hustle can potentially qualify you for a biz card. Things like mowing lawns, babysitting, consulting work, selling on e-bay, teaching piano, tutoring, and so on could all be considered a small business sole prop for this purpose.

https://cards.barclaycardus.com/banking/cards/jetblue-business-card/
This offer is pretty good:
Earn up to 60,000 bonus points // Earn 50,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days and earn 10,000 points when a purchase is made on an employee card in the first 90 days.

And to my knowledge, JetBlue remains one of if not the only airline mile/pts currency where you can do family pooling- so you could combine your points.

This card also earns 2x JetBlue points on restaurants and office supply stores. You might be able to funnel some of your MSR through gift cards sold at Staples or Office Max to pad the earnings a bit! Although with just a $1,000 MSR you'll probably knock that out in no time.

I reached out to my man @PolyRob for a little JetBlue card intel as this isn't a points currency I've been spending time with recently. With a low $99 annual fee and a $1,000 MSR, this offer is fantastic. It gets you free checked bags, awards you 5,000 pts on your card anniv. I don't have a great handle on what Jetblue points are worth, but a quick google search shows that you're probably in the neighborhood of 1.4 cpp which makes this a better deal than a CSP which had previously been recommended.

To be honest, if you know what airline you're going to fly, and it's a domestic trip with one of the major carriers, I say it's usually better to earn that specific airline's currency than more flexible points. Earn JB pts to fly JB... save URs for other travel expenses.

If you each applied for this biz card and managed to get approved, you'd probably be looking at $1,500+ in free flights with free checked bags. AND since they are biz cards, you wouldn't affect your 5/24 status leaving Chase cards as an option in the future. There is no support link for the Jetblue cards, BUT if you opt to go in a different direction (i.e. Chase) there are support links out there for that.

With that in mind, you also might consider joining our DISchurners reddit group which has some great info, guides, and ways to pay it forward to the group when you apply for certain cards (i.e. support links). If you're interested, drop me a quick PM here on the DIS.

Thanks - hopefully this helps some!

EDIT: Ok...am I crazy or am now considering an application for this card even though I have no intentions to fly JetBlue and I have like 800k SW points??? 🤣 🤣 🤣 I wonder how else I could use these points! Off to research... haha!

@Maine_Belle - I am going to step way out of line here...and respectfully disagree with the legend that is @SouthFayetteFan (Sorry, guvnor). My reasons are as follows:-

1) The JetBlue personal card offer you have is for 60k miles after $1000 spend which is better than the JetBlue Business Cards 50k miles + 10k for employee spend.
2) You have already expressed your reluctance to go for business cards, and you have expressed that DH has a conservative approach to credit cards.
3) You appear to be in no danger of getting anywhere near 5/24 anytime soon - so you are not limiting your future Chase prospects.
4) The barclays website for business cards is a pain in the proverbial to use.

For these reasons, I would steer you towards the personal JetBlue card, but if you think you can make the business card thing work, then that is a valid path to tread also.

We don't know an awful lot about your credit history, but assuming no baddies hidden in your financial history and a decent credit score - I would seriously consider same day applications for the JetBlue card and a Chase card of your choice, and then do the same for DH a few months down the line. BUT.....at the end of the day, it is entirely up to you to go at whatever speed you feel comfortable with.

I’m curious about this as well. I have 3 Web special flights booked this fall, and I’m ASSUMING given the current circumstance for cancellations they would refund miles without a fee. But it’s AA, so nothing would surprise me. Would also appreciate hearing anyone else’s experience with this.
I just booked HBC via AA Vacations for early June so I am curious to see what happens there If it needs to be canceled. I also have 4 Qantas flights via AA points that I will probably need to cancel.

FYI, I know lots of people are trying the Amazon/MR bonus thing but I don’t have an MR Card. I just logged into my Amazon account to find a banner with a similar offer, 20% off for using Discover cash back bonus to pay. I have had the offer before but my order usually doesn’t qualify since it’s never an item from Amazon itself. Today I was able to order DS a new beanbag chair 20% off, used $1 cashback (I know I could have used .01) and paid with my Discover Card, free shipping. Win win.
Nice! I had to add my Discover back to see if I can get it to work.

There’s a 30% MR offer but I couldn’t get it to work.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14020169-a...-30-off-max-discount-of-30-ymmv?src=frontpage

Hahaha, you have me wondering the same thing. I don't even know if JetBlue flies from here.
I'll take any biz card that'll have me at this point... 🤣 🤣 🤣
@Maine_Belle - I am going to step way out of line here...and respectfully disagree with the legend that is @SouthFayetteFan (Sorry, guvnor). My reasons are as follows:-

1) The JetBlue personal card offer you have is for 60k miles after $1000 spend which is better than the JetBlue Business Cards 50k miles + 10k for employee spend.
2) You have already expressed your reluctance to go for business cards, and you have expressed that DH has a conservative approach to credit cards.
3) You appear to be in no danger of getting anywhere near 5/24 anytime soon - so you are not limiting your future Chase prospects.
4) The barclays website for business cards is a pain in the proverbial to use.

For these reasons, I would steer you towards the personal JetBlue card, but if you think you can make the business card thing work, then that is a valid path to tread also.

We don't know an awful lot about your credit history, but assuming no baddies hidden in your financial history and a decent credit score - I would seriously consider same day applications for the JetBlue card and a Chase card of your choice, and then do the same for DH a few months down the line. BUT.....at the end of the day, it is entirely up to you to go at whatever speed you feel comfortable with.
1) These are essentially the same offer. you get 60k for $1k spend, right? On the biz card you have to order an employee card and make 1 purchase. Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things. The only tangible difference is 2x Jetblue pts at office stores vs. grocery stores.

2) Nobody spelled out how easy biz cards are to get. It's been a couple months since we had a new person appear on the thread so this hasn't been discussed at all recently. Without providing the context of how easy it can potentially be to qualify for a biz card, how would this person know whether they should attempt it or not. I'd allow them to make that decision. The best time to evaluate this stuff is at the outset (now more than ever). Worst case scenario is an inquiry and a denial... not a lot of risk there these days as inquiries aren't really the focus anymore. If you can't stomach a denial, (yes, even starting out), the game isn't for you IMO.

3) It's easy to say somebody is nowhere near 5/24... but grab 2 JetBlue personals (each player), make a dumb move and add 2 AUs (because you don't understand how it works), get caught up in the excitement and get a store card to save 10% somewhere, maybe you forgot a card you got a year ago and suddenly you're 4/24 and the CSP is your last Chase card or maybe you're still 3/24 and now forced to pick a favorite between Hyatt and SW later. With Chase Biz cards suddenly up in the air, 5/24 has come glaringly into focus and anytime I can get a biz card from another issuer that achieves the same goal as the personal card... I'm all in on at least attempting the biz first.

4) I certainly didn't lay out the risks that the website is terrible. I also should point out that Barclays can be weird with biz approvals sometimes (adding that now because it should be pointed out). BUT are either of these worth skipping an application? Spend $1k in the first month and you never have to login to that website again! :D

I appreciate the counterpoint, but I stand by what I said for the reasons above.

Ultimately though, I 100% agree that @Maine_Belle should make up her own mind based on what she's comfortable with. I just want to make sure that all of the facts are presented before we end up throwing away 5/24 slots... you can't make a good decision without all of the facts. :)

Last edited:
It was DHs account so I made him call. After 40 minute hold time, they canceled the flights. He told them he wanted his miles back and they said yes 25k miles per person would go back. No mention of paying to redeposit miles. A couple hours have passed and the miles are back in DHs account. No pending credit or charges found on cc yet.

For the AA web special cancel. I was able to cancel our June flights online. I just went to my iteneriary and cancelled. Then I DM tweeted American airlines with a request to redeposit the points (on the website it says don't worry your points are safe just call us when you are ready to reschedule), but someone on here, sorry I don't remember who, said to send them a DM on twitter to just get your points redeposited and it worked. There was no fee either, because it fell within the COVID-19 dates they have on their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter