I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok then I will add these. My favorite pub in Edinburgh is The Whiski Bar & Restaurant. It's my go to every trip. Do visit The World's End Pub for lunch at the end of the Royal Mile. If you like Cider even just a little bit, then try a Thistly Cross Cider. I know Haggis sounds disgusting and no one was more surprised than I was to discover it tastes really good! Lasagna used to be my favorite food and now it is Haggis. Try some Haggis! If you like Harry Potter, do a Harry Potter tour. These are loads of fun! If you want to see a good aerial view of your surroundings, hike up Arthur's Seat. I managed it despite the fact that I am not athletic or young. Amazing view. If you visit during the month of August, I highly recommend getting tickets to see the Royal Military Edinburgh Tattoo. Make sure to take time to stop and see some Heelan Coos (Highland Cows). They are just adorable!
Now I just want to scrap my Europe plans and do UK/Scotland :thumbsup2

Actually the other night it did cross my mind, hmmm geographically UK/Scotland/Ireland could almost make more sense and save France to do with other countries. But DH might riot if I take DLP off the agenda :rotfl: This could have also been influenced by reading the Outlander novels before looking :rolleyes:

also be aware that many governments charge a convenience fee if you pay by credit card that far exceeds any reward percentage you get for using the card. I suppose it could be worthwhile for meeting an initial spend threshold but usually it is a losing proposition.

That is a valid point but there are other perspectives to consider besides meeting an MSR that would give you greater value than the convenience fee. It can also depend on the value one has for their points at a given moment in time with a redemption in mind. I will use myself as an example. If I have no immediate plans for a few thousand points or am not trying to meet an MSR then I’m not paying a convenience fee. However, if I am just a few thousand points short and will be transferring said points to an airline for a first class international flight that would cost over $20,000 thenI will pay the convenience fee.The value of those points I need to top off what I need for an award flight is worth more than the convenience fee and likely worth more than an MSR bonus in some cases. With that said, we generally try to time high MSR requirement card applications around tax time.

Food for thought.

No, it does not.

Do you not have the CBS All Access Amex Offer?

What about the Amex Blue Cash Preferred? (6% cash back on streaming services)

No to both of those, we had the AO a few months ago. It doesn't count as a streaming service for the CF either. Ugh. I guess I'll just change it to the CIU and earn 1.5%.

That is a valid point but there are other perspectives to consider besides meeting an MSR that would give you greater value than the convenience fee. It can also depend on the value one has for their points at a given moment in time with a redemption in mind. I will use myself as an example. If I have no immediate plans for a few thousand points or am not trying to meet an MSR then I’m not paying a convenience fee. However, if I am just a few thousand points short and will be transferring said points to an airline for a first class international flight that would cost over $20,000 thenI will pay the convenience fee.The value of those points I need to top off what I need for an award flight is worth more than the convenience fee and likely worth more than an MSR bonus in some cases. With that said, we generally try to time high MSR requirement card applications around tax time.

Food for thought.
I totally agree. I paid our property taxes with my Hilton AmEx biz to get the FNC, which will be worth over $800.00 (but could have been worth as much as $2,200.00 at the WA Maldives). So totally worth the small fee to me.

Curious on opinions... I want to fly into London and out of Paris, or vice versa. I can fly direct from DEN to London but not Paris. Would you put the direct flight at the beginning or end of a trip, and why? Curious as to reasoning...

Curious on opinions... I want to fly into London and out of Paris, or vice versa. I can fly direct from DEN to London but not Paris. Would you put the direct flight at the beginning or end of a trip, and why? Curious as to reasoning...
I think I’d put it at the end because I’d be ready to get home. I wouldn’t want to fool with layovers and stuff because I’d probably be tired.

Definitely the end. A layover is much more bearable at the beginning of your vacation when you’re full of energy and excited to explore a new place. Less so when you are tired after a week of travel and facing going back to work soon. Also, customs/border security in the US takes more time returning so you run the risk of missing a connection if you have to get through a long line at passport control coming back.

The beginning because I'd want to get there and on Europe time sooner. You'll already be tired from the time.change and needing to stay up so I'd want less travel. Plus in the way back you want to sleep less to get back in DEN time.

I'd always.take a red eye to where I'm going than home if I can. Though I always used the red eye.home to NC from Sea so I could adjust to the time.better.

Beginning because:

1) I want to get started on vacation ASAP
2) It always takes me a while to adjust for the time shift
3) fewer flights to get somewhere means fewer opportunities for iirops

(of course this is hypothetical since I can’t fly anywhere except ATL and DFW direct lol)

Last edited:
Beginning. Time abroad and on vacation is more valuable to me so I want to spend the least amount of time then on Exhausted Zombie Autopilot Mode as possible, a direct flight will be less tiring than a connecting one in most cases.

Last edited:
Got a DVC email a few days ago promising a $25 gift card for a 20 minute phone tour. Called yesterday, tour was a little under 10 minutes. Gift card was emailed today.
Awesome! I did this last year. Easy $25. Anyone know if this a one per household-type or if I can have my wife call from her phone?

Approved for Hilton Biz! I kinda hesitate to write that as Hiltons are so freaking pop-up prone and I know a number here are struggling with that but there is hope! Spend, spend, spend. My suggestion is if you can approved for a different Amex card hit the MSR quick so it looks like you're becoming a big spender and then try for a Hilton?....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter