I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2020 trips are all planned out until December (including using up almost every PTO minute available) so now I'm starting to think about 2021 and all those lovely southwest miles and my upcoming CP. 😜
Same here! DH will have 4 weeks vacation/PTO and we’ve spent the last 2 days planning out how to use everyday of it 😀 looks to be a great year of memories for our family!

I'll be at Boardwalk for part of that. I'm actually moving my January trip to a bit more middle of the month because the Marathon earlier in the month locked me out of using some points at 7 months at Boardwalk. I could never get the 9th to 11th, but later was available until the last minute.

Maybe ESPN will have your games.

My time this year started on January 12th and I had beautiful weather in the high 70ties and low 80ties. As soon as I left it got cold. My first day at Hilton Head on the way home was delightful and the next day was somewhat chilly - I was walking the beach early that morning.

My next trip starts this weekend and the Orlando weather looks delightful with highs in the low 80ties and lows only going to 62. I can deal with that. I check out of Boardwalk on Feb 21st and always check what's going on weather wise on my return trip. If there is anything going on like a snowstorm in the mid atlantic area I will stay south until it passes. That's a great use of my Marriott points!
I can't see me asking the girls to sacrifice parks time so dad can watch a football game... That seems like one of things I'd regret down the line when they're older. Gotta take advantage of these years and go meet characters and do fun things!
In response to the spreadsheet discussion above I'm going to confess that I don't have a spreadsheet. Gasp!

I do have a little list with pertinent info written in long hand, but I don't really track points other than to make sure I spend them and that bonuses post if I get a new card, or a retention bonus. My card life is quite simple really since I keep almost everything and have plenty of hotel points and free nights which is what I mainly use, along with a small stash of UR's and cash back (NF Flagship and Citi Costco card) plus some MR's which came in handy for Home Depot cards.

Anyway after studying @SouthFayetteFan 's list of trips for a few seconds it became obvious that he is an excellent candidate for a small DVC contract at either BCV or BW.

His trips are January- February and possibly November if I remember his Universal trips correctly. Cheaper times at DVC when points stretch longer. Not a long commitment as both resorts expire in 2042 - gives him time to decide if it's a viable alternative for his fire lifestyle. A week in a studio ranges from 76 to 104 points depending on which month. Double for a 1 bedroom which would be nicer as the girls get to that 'teen' age. Small contract leaves the option open to stay at other resorts such as Yacht or Contemporary. (I love the DVC view at BLT.)

His good pal @Lain saw the wisdom and used his churning skills to make it happen. I'm sure SFF is up to the challenge. A nice 100 point contract can be had for about $14k or maybe less looking on the timeshare store website which I somewhat trust. Dues would start at a little over $700 a year and with a 10-20% discount using gift cards, and then cashing out to pay the rest, for someone good at churning, it's almost free. A good use year would be June through Dec, since trips are Nov through Feb.

Resale would not be best to give perks, but I wouldn't get hung up on this. If the shoe fits, a direct purchase could come later, but I advise everyone - don't start collecting massive amounts of points unless you have the time, energy and inclination to do the work involved in managing them or are rich enough to let them go to waste.

Anyway - my 2 cents for what they are worth.
I really appreciate the idea but I'm just not a fan of the financial commitment for DVC and the unknown timing of trips in the future. I realize it works for other people but I know that our January Disney trips are on life support at this point. We thought last year was the last time, then this year was the last time...and now luckily the school calendar is playing nice so next year will still work (albeit at a busier time).

My kids are approaching those years where you can't plan trips out a year ahead of time and I would not be ok with "settling" for accommodations because I could only book 4-6 months in advance (or less). We also might need to start making some tougher decisions about how many trips we can feasibly take in a year, will Disney get the nod over important family vacations with our parents, and siblings?? I'm not even sure I could answer that for 2021, let alone 22 years from now. Could buying in save me some money...perhaps, or more realistically yes, it probably would save me some money. But I just don't like to sacrifice flexibility and control - I'm willing to pay more for what I want and for flexibility. I also am not crazy about the studio layouts and bed setup (I've looked at them when thinking about renting in the past) but the cost of the 1 bedroom seems substantially higher.

Since it's been a year or two since I've put math to it: It looks like for my 4 nights at YC next year I'd need 120 points to change that to BCV in a 1 bedroom as a DVC member. So I found a 120 pt contract for $19,907 + estimated dues over the next 22 years of $26,685 (I'm assuming a 3% avg increase each year) = $46,592 all in cost to lock in 22 years of our 4 night portion of our trip. That is over $2,100 per year. If instead of purchasing DVC, I took those exact sums and invested them over that period I could have close to $150k in 2042. There's hundreds of ways to analyze it - but for me, DVC just doesn't add up.

Of course the biggest thing in all of this is that I simply don't have $20k laying around right now. And when I do, this house could use some new windows, I have a van that's probably going to need to be replaced in the next 5-7 years, Our HVAC isn't exactly new, we have interest in doing some stone veneer on our foundation, and probably a bunch of other projects I could come up with.

I certainly don't mean this as a knock to the DVC program, people who are members, or even the mere suggestion that I evaluate it. I'm just providing a window into why we are not going the DVC route. I might ultimately pay thousands more towards my Disney trips over the next 2 decades IF we continue to go to Disney the way we have been, but I am ok with that trade-off based on the time I've spent looking at it. It was good to go through the exercise again today though to see if my opinion had changed :D

Last edited:
but the cost of the 1 bedroom seems substantially higher.

This is kind of a huge problem that only comes up every so often, but yeah frankly the cost of a 1br in comparison to a studio is totally out of whack - you're usually talking at least double the points of a studio, and in many cases, you're adding zero or maybe one sleeping surface (1brs sleep 4 or 5 just like a studio). I realize the extra space, laundry, and full kitchen are not nothing, but double a studio is too much.

For regular studio stays, DVC is pretty easy to recognize long-term savings. For a 1br, not so much.

This is kind of a huge problem that only comes up every so often, but yeah frankly the cost of a 1br in comparison to a studio is totally out of whack - you're usually talking at least double the points of a studio, and in many cases, you're adding zero or maybe one sleeping surface (1brs sleep 4 or 5 just like a studio). I realize the extra space, laundry, and full kitchen are not nothing, but double a studio is too much.

For regular studio stays, DVC is pretty easy to recognize long-term savings. For a 1br, not so much.
I looked at renting a BLT studio prior to our recent trip and I think my wife would kill me if I tried to have us stay there due to the size 🤣 . Between the 100 lost square feet vs CR plus the space given to the kitchen area it has to feel tiny. She is also not a fan at all of pull-out/sofa beds (or a double bed) for our girls. They end up kicking each other and it affects all of our sleep which is a huge priority on these January trips since we're in the midst of the school year.

Thank goodness for Chase's fraud dept. Was getting on the elliptical this morning, and got a text asking if I ordered $321.80 at Walmart.com on my CIP. Um, nope! So I replied no, and they said the card would now be locked until I called. While I am dialing I logon to my account, and there is a pending charge for $322.11 for Best Buy. Ugh. By the time we went through all the identity verification on the phone call, there was a reverse credit for that charge, and she said they just tried to put through $324.96 at Target too. Good grief! So a new card heading my way. I am not currently using that card, and nothing auto bills to it, so it's no big deal, I am so glad they catch this stuff!

Also - I should say I really appreciate the insight in that last sentence. I think that's where I'm getting hung up on what could be a significant savings...or a minimal savings. It is truly a huge difference between the two!

Since it's been a year or two since I've put math to it: It looks like for my 4 nights at YC next year I'd need 120 points to change that to BCV in a 1 bedroom as a DVC member. So I found a 120 pt contract for $19,907 + estimated dues over the next 22 years of $26,685 (I'm assuming a 3% avg increase each year) = $46,592 all in cost to lock in 22 years of our 4 night portion of our trip. That is over $2,100 per year. If instead of purchasing DVC, I took those exact sums and invested them over that period I could have close to $150k in 2042. There's hundreds of ways to analyze it - but for me, DVC just doesn't add up.
It likely doesn't add up at all, especially today. (I do wish I had purchased WAY back in the day). But here's the thing. If you're churning, and the initial outlay is paid for entirely by cashing out points and not out of your own pocket... then that large upfront cost is paid for by Amex, Chase, or whoever you've accrued all those points with... in a manner of speaking. In much the same way you paid off your mortgage. That was a choice I could live with. It's just another way to use points... and one that doesn't disappear after just a one week vacation. Instead of watching your stash of points slowly disappear over time, chipped away one week at a time and then gone, you are holding onto something you can use for the next 20-40 years (and just like real estate, it's worth something so you can sell it if necessary). Not possible to do that when points are gone after a one week trip. I cashed out 800K MR points via Schwab. It paid for two small contracts on the resale market entirely. Annual dues make any stay in very nice deluxe resorts, usually less than $150 a night.

Just something to think about.

I am not trying to convince anyone to buy DVC, but I gotta say, for 257 points I have 9 days in an Oceanview studio at Aulani. The rack rate for this room for our dates is 6222.93, yikes! My dues for those same points totals 1838.63, so I will take that value LOL!

I can't see me asking the girls to sacrifice parks time so dad can watch a football game... That seems like one of things I'd regret down the line when they're older. Gotta take advantage of these years and go meet characters and do fun things!

I really appreciate the idea but I'm just not a fan of the financial commitment for DVC and the unknown timing of trips in the future. I realize it works for other people but I know that our January Disney trips are on life support at this point. We thought last year was the last time, then this year was the last time...and now luckily the school calendar is playing nice so next year will still work (albeit at a busier time).

My kids are approaching those years where you can't plan trips out a year ahead of time and I would not be ok with "settling" for accommodations because I could only book 4-6 months in advance (or less). We also might need to start making some tougher decisions about how many trips we can feasibly take in a year, will Disney get the nod over important family vacations with our parents, and siblings?? I'm not even sure I could answer that for 2021, let alone 22 years from now. Could buying in save me some money...perhaps, or more realistically yes, it probably would save me some money. But I just don't like to sacrifice flexibility and control - I'm willing to pay more for what I want and for flexibility. I also am not crazy about the studio layouts and bed setup (I've looked at them when thinking about renting in the past) but the cost of the 1 bedroom seems substantially higher.

Of course the biggest thing in all of this is that I simply don't have $20k laying around right now. And when I do, this house could use some new windows, I have a van that's probably going to need to be replaced in the next 5-7 years, Our HVAC isn't exactly new, we have interest in doing some stone veneer on our foundation, and probably a bunch of other projects I could come up with.

I certainly don't mean this as a knock to the DVC program, people who are members, or even the mere suggestion that I evaluate it. I'm just providing a window into why we are not going the DVC route. I might ultimately pay thousands more towards my Disney trips over the next 2 decades IF we continue to go to Disney the way we have been, but I am ok with that trade-off based on the time I've spent looking at it. It was good to go through the exercise again today though to see if my opinion had changed :D

You are very wise to consider your time with the girls as fleeting. When they are babies they do what we want. Then they discover their own wants and needs and sometimes go in a different direction. My oldest daughter who is just a bit older than you and whose name I actually put on my contracts as a co-owner, is definitely not as dedicated to Disney vacations as I am and remains as flexible as she wants since she doesn't have to pay for or maintain DVC. She does love our Disney trips though when she can easily work one in. Son hasn't been since he was 21 and is now 35. Just recently he asked about it - he's seriously dating and the subject of Disney came up. Youngest has gone the most and is now still interested but just for a weekend.

On the other hand, as soon as the temp dips, I want to go south! And as a single person, Disney is a pretty safe location that I know like the back of my hand. Where else can I go down on the Boardwalk and walk at 5am and feel secure? I've long since given up the idea of a winter place in Florida as that puts you in reality - I prefer fantasyland. Plus I want to be close to family and to be gone for 2 weeks or less at a time.

It took me 3 years to pull the trigger and buy and 'for me' it was a good decision. I had very different dynamics in my life. I did the math many times and always decided it was too expensive and put it aside. Then one day I did it. One thing was certain - I was going to use a certain percentage of my income for vacation, regardless of what form it came in.

I've not regretted my decision but can certainly respect that everyone does not have the same parameters to work in that I have. And, I think that sometimes people do this on impulse. That may lead to sales later on and possible losses. Others put too much into it and tire of it. You should never put all eggs in one basket. I'm happy with it right now and have been for 20 years. The future is still to come.

You are very wise to consider your time with the girls as fleeting. When they are babies they do what we want. Then they discover their own wants and needs and sometimes go in a different direction.
This will sound super grim... but at times I try to picture a very old version of me... laying in a bed, unable to do anything: And I think about what that version of me will regret... I try to use that picture to fuel myself to do things that in the moment I might not want to do. I'm not perfect at it, but I hope that it helps me prioritize the girls at this age just a little bit.

This will sound super grim... but at times I try to picture a very old version of me... laying in a bed, unable to do anything: And I think about what that version of me will regret... I try to use that picture to fuel myself to do things that in the moment I might not want to do. I'm not perfect at it, but I hope that it helps me prioritize the girls at this age just a little bit.

What immediately came to mind for me is to say to you that it is okay to be selfish sometimes and to think of yourself. You should not feel guilty setting aside a bit of time for just you, even on vacation. This can even send a message to your girls to be tolerant of other peoples needs as well as their own. We don't live in a perfect world, and it's best to be somewhat prepared for that in life.

This is very well said and we feel the exact same way.

DH has asked several times why we didn't purchase DVC, I've asked myself the same thing, but I always have to remind the both of us that one day we may not want to go back to Disney. Our girls still LOVE Disney but they are starting to ask for other vacations. My 12YO's dream is to go to Exuma to swim with the pigs and would rather go there than Disney. I think it's DH and I that keep pushing Disney on our girls.

I am not trying to convince anyone to buy DVC, but I gotta say, for 257 points I have 9 days in an Oceanview studio at Aulani. The rack rate for this room for our dates is 6222.93, yikes! My dues for those same points totals 1838.63, so I will take that value LOL!
I am looking forward to using my points at Aulani someday!!! Hope you enjoy your trip!

What immediately came to mind for me is to say to you that it is okay to be selfish sometimes and to think of yourself. You should not feel guilty setting aside a bit of time for just you, even on vacation. This can even send a message to your girls to be tolerant of other peoples needs as well as their own. We don't live in a perfect world, and it's best to be somewhat prepared for that in life.
I more so use this to motivate me to stop watching a random college b-ball game on a Saturday and go play a board game with the kids. Or to let work phone calls go to voicemail if I’m enjoying dinner with my family. Old me would look back and say how stupid it would be for you to sit in a chair watching a game I don’t care about when I could be playing with my girls...

The annual Bonbarf category changes are out, effective March 4, 2020.

Offhand the Swolphin is not on the list so no change there, for good or bad.

Reminder that points advance bookings don't lock in your rate anymore, just a room. If you want to lock in a lower rate now you have to have the points now. (And cross fingers they don't Bonvoy you with bad IT and charge you the higher rate later anyway. Screenshot, screenshot, screenshot, and keep an eye on your points balances)

https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change/marriott-bonvoy

I am very happy that we have DVC - BUT given the price today, not sure if I would buy now. I already feel we have more than gotten our money out of it in so many ways. We were not good about planning vacations for many years. For me, planning a Disney trip is easy and fun. I do hope to do some traveling to other places but in the meantime we like it just as much if not more than some of our kids do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter