I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive bought $500 GCs from BJs several times and had no issues touch wood. I also have the online $10 membership because I don’t shop there, just buy GCs online.

I ordered $2000 worth from BJ's at Black Friday. They were discounted 6% and I used Paypal with one of my Freedom cards to get an additional 5% back in UR points on the first $1500. I just used them this morning to pay my dues and it all went well!

So I think I will attack my DVC dues slowly. This weekend I will try to get to Lowes and Shoprite. I will buy $240 worth of gift cards with my cc offers. My cost after the offers will be $192 which I may use MRs and URs once the charges post. (Still undecided about using the points.)
That will cover my dues payments for Jan, feb and March. I will stay on the lookout for more 20% offers during that time and keep my fingers crossed.

So I think I will attack my DVC dues slowly. This weekend I will try to get to Lowes and Shoprite. I will buy $240 worth of gift cards with my cc offers. My cost after the offers will be $192 which I may use MRs and URs once the charges post. (Still undecided about using the points.)
That will cover my dues payments for Jan, feb and March. I will stay on the lookout for more 20% offers during that time and keep my fingers crossed.

Let me know if shoprite has DGC's. I have that offer twice but haven't made it to the store recently.

I did go to a shoprite looking for a Visa Gift card and they didn't have them, but it's been at least 2 years since then.

Let me know if shoprite has DGC's. I have that offer twice but haven't made it to the store recently.

I did go to a shoprite looking for a Visa Gift card and they didn't have them, but it's been at least 2 years since then.
I hope they do since shop rite is about 25 min from here. Only going if I wind up in that area tomorrow - which I think I will be. If I go I will let you know.

Well, I briefly gave thought to using some UR's, but I gave that up when I decided my original reason for maximizing UR's was to transfer to my Hyatt account for summer beach trips where the tab per night reaches $500 a night, was a way better pay off long term.

So, I collected a few 10% off gift cards with Chase and Best Buy offers (and forgot to buy the last BB gift card. That makes me good for a couple of months. So, now I must get serious and start buying again. I may be reduced to 5% off, but I've got a little time to do some research. I could even do a nice sized MSR if it paid enough.

Last year I had enough at 10% plus. I'm way behind that this year.

I've never felt the need to cover it completely, as DVC has been a part of my budget since 2000, over 20 years.

I'm Churner Light similar to yourself. More about taking advantage of a few opportunities when they refuse to let me ignore them.

Maybe as time goes on my UR stash will grow to the point where it can handle some larger objectives, but overall I'm pretty well set for what I need or use.
Did you make to OCMD this summer with your lovely DGD? We such cheap flights, we headed to FL instead of our beaches.

The two by me on LI have the variable load up to $500 Disney GCs. Last January I purchased some with a CC...a month ago I tried and the cashier said debit or cash only, I haven’t been back to try again

Did you make to OCMD this summer with your lovely DGD? We such cheap flights, we headed to FL instead of our beaches.

Yes. I stayed at the Hyatt, and I was there during the Air Show which had gotten rescheduled.

DGD's went a couple of times with their parents. They now love the Residence Inn because it has a zero entry pool. I'm going to book soon for this summer.

I gave a bit of thought to the Globalist idea, but really the only Hyatts I would probably use are the ones here in Maryland possibly the one in Clearwater. Not really worth the effort for these redemptions, plus I'm happy with them as they stand.

I do want to possibly close and reapply for the card though. If they are going to change my old card, I might as well get something out of the deal. Just will wait til I have a bigger purchase going forward.

The two by me on LI have the variable load up to $500 Disney GCs. Last January I purchased some with a CC...a month ago I tried and the cashier said debit or cash only, I haven’t been back to try again
Good to know they have them around here. The closest one by me is in Plainview. If I can’t use a cc I might not bother going. Not worth it as I won’t be in the immediate area, just the general area.

I have purchased the variable Disney cards the last couple of weeks because shoprite had the offer where you got a coupon for groceries with a $50 gift card. My store has the sign up that gift cards are cash or debit only. So, true confession time. I seek out the younger cashiers, and buy at least one other item with the card. Someone who hasnt been working there a long time may not know all the rules.Haven’t been refused yet. ( I do feel a tiny bit guilty doing this, as I worked as a cashier part time when my kids were young, but I really dont think the cashier would receive any flak over this. If there are any Shoprite employees here that tell me otherwise, I’ll stop.)

I have purchased the variable Disney cards the last couple of weeks because shoprite had the offer where you got a coupon for groceries with a $50 gift card. My store has the sign up that gift cards are cash or debit only. So, true confession time. I seek out the younger cashiers, and buy at least one other item with the card. Someone who hasnt been working there a long time may not know all the rules.Haven’t been refused yet. ( I do feel a tiny bit guilty doing this, as I worked as a cashier part time when my kids were young, but I really dont think the cashier would receive any flak over this. If there are any Shoprite employees here that tell me otherwise, I’ll stop.)

Also look at it as, if they truly don't want you purchasing with a cc then they should program the system to not allow the purchase. Target has it in the system so if you use a gc and have a gc in your purchase it only takes off the merchandise part. If they want to rely on their cashiers and you are doing it all but tapping, inserting your chip or swiping how would they know. My mom's BofA cc and debit looked exactly alike until her most recent card, and I know this because she would use the wrong one often enough, never a huge deal but lots of cards look alike.

Good to know they have them around here. The closest one by me is in Plainview. If I can’t use a cc I might not bother going. Not worth it as I won’t be in the immediate area, just the general area.
I was at the one in Patchogue on Sunrise in February no issues there with the credit card, they just asked for my DL.
Last month the cashier in the Ronkonkoma store wouldn’t take the CC. I haven’t tried again since the offer I had expired.

Thanks. Not going to bother going out of my way then. Oh well. 20% would be nice.

Weird. I have a Safeway like that close by. So now I don't go there. We have 2 more within 10-12 minutes. I mean 'why'?? would I want to carry that kind of cash? And guess what? I don't have a debit card. I do have a bank card that draws from my accounts with a pin, but it's not a debit card. Twenty years ago, I wrote checks. Write your SSN and DL at the top along with your address if it wasn't all preprinted. Then I went to credit and bill pay over time.

Thank you. I actually looked at BJs online right after posting my question. I can do the online membership for only $10. But I hesitate to buy $500 through the mail. Something to ponder.

I don't have an MSR to meet and likely will not in the coming year. I will have to pay attention to Amex offers. I do watch and use them, but not for this purpose. So I will have to examine those carefully.

(My dues are less than 1K. - Nothing compared to yours!)
What about Sam’s club there’s a way to do a free membership

Thank you. I actually looked at BJs online right after posting my question. I can do the online membership for only $10. But I hesitate to buy $500 through the mail. Something to ponder.

im pretty paranoid with orders with $500 so i make sure on my part that once it arrives to my door, that im there. Ironically, my iPhones came today(worth $1000) and UPS never knocked and that kinda pissed me off lol.

i had at one point had 2 hard drives at $140 a piece get stolen off my porch, but the company made me whole. they claim if off their insurance. UPS did however come by to investigate and got my side of the store, i think at the end, the store will take stolen packages at their loss.

Now that DVC dues are upon us does anyone care to share how they maximize CC rewards to pay the dues? @calypso726 @Judique

I was really good at earning free disney giftcards (swagbucks, etc) but slowed down recently. May pick it up again, but getting tired of chasing the free stuff. I still work the rewards sites, but at a much slower pace than I used to. So in the past I ignored all posts about discounted Disney GCs. Not sure I want to chase the discounts either - but if combined with using CC perks, I might. I currently have URs, MRs and Discover IT cash available. I would rather not use the DiscoverIT cash.

ETA - Think I may start with PYB.....is there a better strategy?

Like some of the others mentioned, I mainly use Amex and Chase offers. I don't think there have been as many good offers this year when compared to previous years. I typically look for more than a 10% discount on the GCs. Most of mine this year have been buying a Kroger GC at Lowes at a discount, then using that to buy a Disney GC for the fuel points. Lowes and Kroger are across the street from each other and less than 5 minutes from our house, so there isn't a huge time commitment for me. Right now, I am at 16% discount for the year. My best year was in 2018 with the Retail Me Not deals when I had a 21% discount for the year. I buy the GCs throughout the year when there is a good offer.

I did use the PYB to buy Apple GCs for new phones. We are sitting on lots of UR points from not traveling this year.

Not sure what your CL is but to PC the CIP would need a CL of $5k or more.
Closing the CIP will not hurt your credit score at all since it’s a business card.

For some reason, the CL limit on the card is very low—just $3,000. It is honestly not one that makes sense to close, so I’m going to close it since it sounds as though it won’t have any impact on my credit, and since the CL is too low to PC to another card.

Like some of the others mentioned, I mainly use Amex and Chase offers. I don't think there have been as many good offers this year when compared to previous years. I typically look for more than a 10% discount on the GCs. Most of mine this year have been buying a Kroger GC at Lowes at a discount, then using that to buy a Disney GC for the fuel points. Lowes and Kroger are across the street from each other and less than 5 minutes from our house, so there isn't a huge time commitment for me. Right now, I am at 16% discount for the year. My best year was in 2018 with the Retail Me Not deals when I had a 21% discount for the year. I buy the GCs throughout the year when there is a good offer.

I did use the PYB to buy Apple GCs for new phones. We are sitting on lots of UR points from not traveling this year.

I did better when I was doing fuel points as well. But, now I need so little gas it is no longer an option. So, maybe I can just count my fuel savings as 'Disney' money.

Not sure what your CL is but to PC the CIP would need a CL of $5k or more.
Closing the CIP will not hurt your credit score at all since it’s a business card.

So, double checked on CL and it is actually $5,000, so...I may hold off on closing. I am thinking about applying for the CIU by end of January. Would it benefit me to leave the CIP alone until then? I’m not desperate for the $95 back, but I also don’t want to pay it if I’m not going to use the card. I figured I could revisit PC/close after applying for the CIP. I must sound like I’m going in circles. Lol I don’t know why I have in my head that it’s a bad thing to close or PC a card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter