I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help me decide, DH's Amex Green AF will post later this month. We don't need any of the benefits on that card so I don't want to keep it, but I need something to keep his MRs. Any good options? Would prefer a card with no AF, what is our best option? I'm going to try for a retention offer, but want to have a backup plan.
People like the Blue Biz Plus for holding points. And it has 2x on every purchase, with no AF. But I doubt you can PC to the BBC, because it a Biz cc, however you could get another SUB

Help me decide, DH's Amex Green AF will post later this month. We don't need any of the benefits on that card so I don't want to keep it, but I need something to keep his MRs. Any good options? Would prefer a card with no AF, what is our best option? I'm going to try for a retention offer, but want to have a backup plan.
The BBP has always been our go-to answer for a no-AF card to keep MRs alive. Luckily it actually has a real bonus again - 10,000 MRs for $3k MSR (previously it was offering some random statement credits on purchases at certain business related merchants). It will use one of your Amex CC slots however, if that matters to you.

It also interestingly offers 0% APR for 12 months (and it's a biz card so the balance wouldn't show on your personal credit report) if that's something that interests you or anybody else. There are support links for this offer out there on DISchurners too.

The BBP has always been our go-to answer for a no-AF card to keep MRs alive. Luckily it actually has a real bonus again - 10,000 MRs for $3k MSR (previously it was offering some random statement credits on purchases at certain business related merchants). It will use one of your Amex CC slots however, if that matters to you.

It also interestingly offers 0% APR for 12 months (and it's a biz card so the balance wouldn't show on your personal credit report) if that's something that interests you or anybody else. There are support links for this offer out there on DISchurners too.
I'm not seeing the SUB. Is it via referral?

As an alternative to BBP, I'm seeing 25K MR/$3K MSR on the Biz Green (charge card) with $0 AF first year, then $95. Pro - more MRs. Con - earns at 1xMR (instead of BBP 2xMR) and you'll be back in the same spot when the AF comes due next year.

As an alternative to BBP, I'm seeing 25K MR/$3K MSR on the Biz Green (charge card) with $0 AF first year, then $95. Pro - more MRs. Con - earns at 1xMR (instead of BBP 2xMR) and you'll be back in the same spot when the AF comes due next year.
Hmmm... the Biz Green is the better option as I think DH has 3 credit cards
- Delta Gold
-Bonvoy Brilliant
-Bonvoy Biz

Also, after looking again, I'm thinking the Amex Blue Biz Cash looks good (via support link):

No AF, charge card, 2x on everything up to $50k
$250 statement credit after $5k spend in 6 months, plus
$250 additional credit after $10 more spend in 1 year (a good way to stay under 5/24)

ETA: Thanks to @striker1064 for pointing out this in not a MR currency card (I guess the rewards in dollars should have tipped me off) Thanks!

Also, after looking again, I'm thinking the Amex Blue Biz Cash looks good (via support link):

No AF, Charge card, 2x on everything up to $50k
$250 statement credit after $5k spend in 6 months, plus
$250 additional credit after $10 more spend in 1 year

That won't work for keeping MRs alive, as it earns cash back only and not MRS.

Otherwise though, it's a pretty nice card if you're just looking for some set-and-forget spend for a while.

I think I want to change my CIU into a CIC to take advantage of 5x at office supply stores when they have the visas with no fee.

I would then just use them at Costco, getting 5x UR's and the 2% on my membership. I could easily spend maybe $600 a month this way. That's better than using a 2% cash card. I know this is small potatoes for some of you, but I really don't want to get into juggling too many gift cards. I've done it in the past and still have random ones I'm gradually getting spent. Not visa's - more like restaurant cards. And I don't want to do the FD DG thing, although I know it's much faster to accrue that way.

Not planning on any new cards for a while. Although maybe I should look closer at some of the freedom flex benefits.

Another thing I was considering on the Amex side was a possible upgrade to the Platinum for a year. I would call and ask if there was any incentive for an upgrade. I've checked and can't get the higher bonus - haven't applied but fear pop ups.
This is exactly what I did except I had the CIP. I started buying the $200 visa gift cards to get the 5x UR and I have been using them to pay for my shopping at Sam's club or some other stores that I don't have any other good cash back options.

Thanks! I'm kinda reluctant to apply actually - it's a hit to my 5/24, where as an upgrade wouldn't increase. I'm 2/24 right now, but I know how quickly I can change that.

My thought pattern is to let my Gold card go, get the plat with some 'upgrade offer' use it for a year and then downgrade again, or pick up a different MR card. A decent upgrade would make it closer to free. I got a Gold incentive last year so probably wouldn't get one this year.

I went almost 2 years at 7/24 until I finally got below 5 and I won't try that again. Saw so many great deals fly by me - sippy, gravy, and I couldn't do nothing as I had tied my hands.

It's nice not to take up a slot, but I'd argue it's better to apply for a new Plat than to lock yourself out of the bonus for an Amex lifetime by taking an upgrade. When DH got an upgrade offer from his Gold it was 60k for $5000 spend. New app would be 100k plus 10x grocery/gas. Best deal would be to apply then take the upgrade offer. But of course that's 2 MSRs and 2 AFs.

Is anyone a Hyatt Globalist (@calypso726)? I am thinking about booking a 13 night stay (6 nights points / cash with 25% points back and 7 nights cash) at a Hyatt Place to get Globalist status for 2021, 2022 and part of 2023. I have a question: do they upgrade rooms to suites for stays booked on points? I could potentially use it at the Hyatt Churchill London (possibly with dd and ds at the end of August), PH Vienna and Lungarno Florence (possibly December, 2021) and PH Auckland (for my ABD in March, 2022). If I could get suite upgrades for each of those stays and free breakfast it would be worth it.

Does anyone have a 10% Hyatt offer on any Chase or AmEx cards? I looked yesterday and it's not on any of my cards. It would be nice to have it pop up if I decide to do a mattress run at the end of the month.

Is anyone a Hyatt Globalist (@calypso726)? I am thinking about booking a 13 night stay (6 nights points / cash with 25% points back and 7 nights cash) at a Hyatt Place to get Globalist status for 2021, 2022 and part of 2023. I have a question: do they upgrade rooms to suites for stays booked on points? I could potentially use it at the Hyatt Churchill London (possibly with dd and ds at the end of August), PH Vienna and Lungarno Florence (possibly December, 2021) and PH Auckland (for my ABD in March, 2022). If I could get suite upgrades for each of those stays and free breakfast it would be worth it.

Does anyone have a 10% Hyatt offer on any Chase or AmEx cards? I looked yesterday and it's not on any of my cards. It would be nice to have it pop up if I decide to do a mattress run at the end of the month.

I'm pretty sure you can get upgrade on point stays. I think @Andysol knows best.
I don't get how this gets Globalist status for 2022, I thought that status ends the Feb after, meaning it would end Feb 2022.

depends on availability of course. but normally yes, u do get some sort of an upgrade as a globalist. Even at properties that dont have suite, i always find myself in a bigger room than usual. If they have corner suites, im usually upgraded into one of those. U usually want to book the rooms at least a week out there. There are a few times i book the day before and dont get upgraded then.

As Albort said it is based on availability. I will say that suites are being reserved at a higher rate than ever as people that are traveling want more room and due to less trips are paying for upgrades...Lots of examples of hotels running in the 20% to 30% range but suite occupancy around 80% or higher. What I am saying is you won't be able to count on a suite upgrade just because you are a globalist.

Talking about Chase, why does it take them so long to credit a payment to an account? I use my NFCU bill pay to send all my credit card payments, set the date for it to be sent, etc, and every other card issuer will acknowledge receipt of payment almost immediately. May not credit for another day or so, but at least they say they have it. I sent them an over 5K payment and still waiting for them to credit it on my Sapphire. That said, they did give me those points very quickly.

edit: they credited it sometime in the last hour, and then posted the annual fee.
I pay through the Chase site, and they always credit me before I see the payment come out of my checking account. Maybe it's just PNC, but I paid the premium for my new homeowners insurance 2 days ago from my checking and it is still not showing up as a debit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter