I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. New to this thread and am already overwhelmed. LOL. Anyway, just became a DVC member so looking for ways to maximize value particularly with flights now that we will be going most years. I don't have all my numbers in front of me, but my wife and I have very good credit and currently have the Disney Premiere Visa. Was told the Southwest card might be a good place to start. I will try and put together the info asked for on the front page when I'm home.

Thank you all in advance.

The Southwest cards are a good place to start, provided they have good flights out of your airport and you are amenable to opening both business and personal cards.

The Southwest Companion pass allows you to designate someone to fly with you for free (well for a minimal tax charge) on every flight you take. You earn the companion pass by earning 125,000 Southwest rapid rewards miles in one calendar year. It is good for the remainder of the year earned as well as the entire next year, so if you earned the companion pass in March of 2020 it will be good until December 31st for 2021.

Unfortunately the current offers for Southwest cards are not great, but if you were to open a Southwest Performance business card and any one of the three Southwest personal cards you wold earn 116,000 southwest miles for a net of 6,000 in spending. Once you spend an additional 9,000 on either of the cards your would be at the 125,000 miles needed for the Companion pass and have 125,000 Southwest miles to use with it.
The caveats I would add is to make sure both of the bonuses for the cards post AFTER January 1, apply for the business card first, and make sure you have not opened more than 4 credit cards in the last 24 months.

Quick trip report while waiting to take off back to Nebraska:

Weather was amazing. For the first time ever, I had zero plans other than the race, and it was really liberating. I was flying solo, so that probably wouldn’t work with the whole crew though. I hit many of my favorites: Jiko (the short ribs!), Flying Fish (the pork belly!), Trails End (the breakfast buffet!). I tried Shula’s for the first time and while the steak was amazing I wasn’t a huge fan of the atmosphere. I could (and did) spend a lot of time at Geyser Point, loved that place.

Only did a few rides. I did check out Star Wars Land. It was ... fine? I’m a big Star Wars fan and it is a huge place and really nicely detailed. But quite frankly Pandora is way better. Oga’s cantina is ok, really crowded and you’re actually told not to move which is weird. The ride was just a glorified Star Tours, walking into it was better than the ride itself. Hopefully the second one is better.

Really liked the Swan, much more than the Dolphin. It’s much more compact and easy to navigate. They gave me credit for being titanium and offered me breakfast or points. I’ll be going back there for sure.

Quick trip report while waiting to take off back to Nebraska:

Weather was amazing. For the first time ever, I had zero plans other than the race, and it was really liberating. I was flying solo, so that probably wouldn’t work with the whole crew though. I hit many of my favorites: Jiko (the short ribs!), Flying Fish (the pork belly!), Trails End (the breakfast buffet!). I tried Shula’s for the first time and while the steak was amazing I wasn’t a huge fan of the atmosphere. I could (and did) spend a lot of time at Geyser Point, loved that place.

Only did a few rides. I did check out Star Wars Land. It was ... fine? I’m a big Star Wars fan and it is a huge place and really nicely detailed. But quite frankly Pandora is way better. Oga’s cantina is ok, really crowded and you’re actually told not to move which is weird. The ride was just a glorified Star Tours, walking into it was better than the ride itself. Hopefully the second one is better.

Really liked the Swan, much more than the Dolphin. It’s much more compact and easy to navigate. They gave me credit for being titanium and offered me breakfast or points. I’ll be going back there for sure.
Now I'm hungry!

Been skimming the last little bit as I'm behind as usual...

Too bad I don't have any trips on SW planned in the next 90 days! The only one I have tentatively planned is over a year from now to get to LAX to get to Japan eventually!

I need to go check out the Aspire offer someone posted upthread, but I won't be ready to apply for that for another 3 months probably, by which time the offer will probably have expired.

Just playing the waiting game on the CIP to come so I can start spending on it. I have to be very careful with my (checking) account balance right now since that trip to DL last month cost more than I had planned on (my own fault). Thinking that that AP was a good long term purchase but I perhaps shouldn't have done it, considering the short term requirement. Too bad they don't offer the payment plan to out of state APs.

I need new sheets for my bed. I have a super tall mattress, and my fitted sheets fit ok but the flat sheet is too short and it's constantly coming untucked. Does anyone here know if top sheet dimensions vary within the "queen size" designator?

And of course I saw this on one of my dispatch pages today and thought of you all:
20191104_152558000_iOS.jpg

The fan is motion activated the light's not involved and it is weird slow like that. You can move at the sink and set it off so I normally close the door to the shower.

I forgot that it would go off when I was at the sink too! We also had to close our door.

Hi everyone, I have a CSP that I've had for 12 months and thinking about upgrading to CSR. I think it may be beneficial to upgrade for the $300 travel credit per year and the points on travel/dining and 1.5 redemption on Chase travel vs waiting another 36 months and applying for the CSR and sign up bonus (and then not sure if I'd have to cancel the CSP first). So, still thinking it through whether to request an upgrade or wait.

My questions are: Can you hold the CSP and the CSR at the same time, or can you only have one sapphire and one needs to be cancelled (if I wait rather than request upgrade)? Would the annual fee post upon upgrade? I read on here but not very adept on churning, I should have been following a better plan for travel rewards rather than open the cash back cards this year on preapprovals mailers from my banks! I'm way over 5/24 so have no other movement I can do with Chase for travel goals until mid 2021.

Chase instituted a rule in Aug 2017 that you can only have one Sapphire product at a time (with exceptions for more complicated maneuvers). Since you're over 5/24, the only way you're going to get the CSR anytime soon is to upgrade your CSP (you need a $10K CL for the CSR). I think then your next question should be, do you want to pay the $55 difference in annual fees ($450 - $300 travel credit - $95 CSP = $55) for
- extra 1x on dining and travel purchases
- the extra 0.25 multiplier
- Priority Pass lounge access
- GE credit
- primary car rental insurance
- better travel protections
If you spend $5500 OOP on travel and dining combined annually, then you make up the difference in AF if all you do is cash out 5500 URs to pay for the $55 difference. If you use those 5500 URs to pay for travel expenses (thru the portal at 1.5x UR value), then you would need to spend $3667 OOP on travel and dining combined for the $55 difference in AF to be a wash.

When you upgrade, you should get a refund of your CSP $95 AF at some point and the new $450 AF will post at some point in about 3-6 months. However, you should get the $300 travel credit as soon as you see that your card is labeled as a CSR on your online account, which is almost immediate.

Do you foresee travel plans in the near future where the CSR's benefits would be better for you than the CSP?

The AF on my SW Biz just posted. What are y’all doing with this card after the first year? Cancel or do you feel that the benefits outweigh the cost here? I definitely plan to keep my personal Priority card as I really like all the extras that come with that AF.
Same here. I'm going to wait for my anniversary points to post, then will cancel the card. I might keep my Priority card for another year though, like you said, the extras are nice.

The AF on my SW Biz just posted. What are y’all doing with this card after the first year? Cancel or do you feel that the benefits outweigh the cost here? I definitely plan to keep my personal Priority card as I really like all the extras that come with that AF.
I'm dumping DHs. Last time around when I had it, I called in and got a $100 retention offer credit for keeping it... but then that showed up on my 1099 from Chase so I have no need for that nonsense lol. I will definitely keep the Priority (we each have one right now)

Same here. I'm going to wait for my anniversary points to post, then will cancel the card. I might keep my Priority card for another year though, like you said, the extras are nice.
I'm dumping DHs. Last time around when I had it, I called in and got a $100 retention offer credit for keeping it... but then that showed up on my 1099 from Chase so I have no need for that nonsense lol. I will definitely keep the Priority (we each have one right now)
I'm going to cancel my Biz but keep the Priority, at least until/if dh goes for a SW card in late 2020.

Sitting at the Orlando Amtrak waiting on the train to take me back home. This is always a tough one because DW flies out early and will be home within an hour of me boarding here, but such is life.

We ran the Fall Feast 5k and the Wine & Done 10k. I was initially disappointed that the 5k was no longer going to be in Animal Kingdom, but I ended up thoroughly enjoying the race. I stopped for a few character pictures, which I never do, and had a great time running it. The 10k was less so - 4+ miles of interstate running, then the same path through Epcot as the 5k.

I very rarely like pictures of myself, but I love this one from in front of Spaceship Earth.

Sadly, sickness struck the night before the half marathon, so I was unable to run. Super disappointed that I didn't get to test all the hard work I put in for all these months. On the plus side, I have a new personal best from the 10k to use as my qualifier for Princess weekend in February.

And... My train just pulled up! Time to board.

Attachments

• 557976111_989070140_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg_41.jpeg
    557976111_989070140_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg_41.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 44
Mine just posted as well, and like others, I'll be canceling once my bonus points post. I do like my Priority and I kept it.

Sitting at the Orlando Amtrak waiting on the train to take me back home. This is always a tough one because DW flies out early and will be home within an hour of me boarding here, but such is life.

We ran the Fall Feast 5k and the Wine & Done 10k. I was initially disappointed that the 5k was no longer going to be in Animal Kingdom, but I ended up thoroughly enjoying the race. I stopped for a few character pictures, which I never do, and had a great time running it. The 10k was less so - 4+ miles of interstate running, then the same path through Epcot as the 5k.

I very rarely like pictures of myself, but I love this one from in front of Spaceship Earth.

Sadly, sickness struck the night before the half marathon, so I was unable to run. Super disappointed that I didn't get to test all the hard work I put in for all these months. On the plus side, I have a new personal best from the 10k to use as my qualifier for Princess weekend in February.

And... My train just pulled up! Time to board.
Great picture!!! Sorry you didn't get to do the half - that sucks.

Out of curiosity - why don't you fly too?

Chase instituted a rule in Aug 2017 that you can only have one Sapphire product at a time (with exceptions for more complicated maneuvers). Since you're over 5/24, the only way you're going to get the CSR anytime soon is to upgrade your CSP (you need a $10K CL for the CSR). I think then your next question should be, do you want to pay the $55 difference in annual fees ($450 - $300 travel credit - $95 CSP = $55) for
- extra 1x on dining and travel purchases
- the extra 0.25 multiplier
- Priority Pass lounge access
- GE credit
- primary car rental insurance
- better travel protections
If you spend $5500 OOP on travel and dining combined annually, then you make up the difference in AF if all you do is cash out 5500 URs to pay for the $55 difference. If you use those 5500 URs to pay for travel expenses (thru the portal at 1.5x UR value), then you would need to spend $3667 OOP on travel and dining combined for the $55 difference in AF to be a wash.

When you upgrade, you should get a refund of your CSP $95 AF at some point and the new $450 AF will post at some point in about 3-6 months. However, you should get the $300 travel credit as soon as you see that your card is labeled as a CSR on your online account, which is almost immediate.

Do you foresee travel plans in the near future where the CSR's benefits would be better for you than the CSP?
Just wanted to make a small comment - Unless something has changed recently, the CSP also has primary rental insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter