• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funnily enough about that, I wouldn't do the PayPal route but I'd feel ok going straight through BJ's.

I recall some reports of people having problems even with legit PayPal transactions because of their crackdown on P2P payments. Now I'm a little fuzzy on if this was after a human viewed the transactions because of a question they had about the bonus or legit bonus didn't post because those transactions didn't automatically get counted. But I just decided to avoid PayPal if I had a AmEx MSR if I could.
Thank you! I am learning so much about Amex :) I will just go the normal route then and no PayPal since it seems safer. I will report back on what it posts like. I think I will do the $287.97 first. It seems like a weird/non-GC amount to me.

So PayPal... yeah, I'd absolutely void using PayPal/Venmo (basically P2P payment services) to meet an Amex MSR, and I try to avoid using Amex to send money to people using PayPal/Venmo generally.

Last year, Amex updated their terms to exclude P2P payments as eligible payments for which you can earn points: Amex Updates Terms to Exclude Peer Payments, Cash Equivalents, & Amex GC from Earning Points - DoC

That said, in practice, PayPal transactions do count and earn points, see:

However, if there's any issue with your bonus posting, you don't want to give Amex any wiggle room to deny your SUB:

Or get hit with a financial review:

PayPal transactions appear like this on Amex statements and display L2 data:

PAYPAL *JOHNDOE - 5555555555, DC
PAYPAL *PAYPALGIFTS - 4029357733, CA
PAYPAL *EBAYINCSHIP - 4803767400, CA
PAYPAL *TARGETCORPO - 4029357733, MN

L2 data includes the name, address and phone number of the merchant when you click for more detail. I'd say using Amex through PayPal on store websites should be fine, but I just avoid using Amex to send individuals money using PayPal/Venmo. The above DP of the guy who got hit with a financial review for sending money to his brother, I'm guessing the same surname might have tipped Amex off; and the same would apply to sending money using PayPal to someone who shares the same address as you.

Last edited:
Instant approval on the Barclays Arrival +. Back to 3/24 LOL. Only until the end of July.
I'm so nervous about Chase catching on & cutting us off that I applied for CIP #2 this morning, on vacation. :laughing: Auto-approved! My first one took forever (6 days, I think? Maybe 8?) - I guess being here brought me some Mickey Luck.
Yay! Instant approvals!
pixiedust:party:pixiedust:

We just came back from Valley of Fire and Bryce and Zion in late April. You will love it if you love nature. Way better than Red Rock Canyon in my opinion. Lots of trails and interesting history.

How was the weather in April? Was it too hot? I am thinking of going in March and hoping the weather is good then.

We flew out of PVD and the flight was sold out. As soon as we landed I added EBCI to our return flight. We were able to sit together on the way home, but that flight was not full so we probably didn't even need the EBCI. With the added cost, I could have booked us on a different airline that lets you choose seats for the same price. Oh well, lesson learned.
I’m a SW fan so a little biased. But just remember that even if you pick you seats on other airlines they sometimes move you. Happened to me on Delta as they changed the plane and reassigned me and my DD. We were still together but I don’t think it always happens. I don’t have Lain’s recall or spreadsheet skills, but someone in this board paid for upgraded seats on AA and was booted from them. Just saying not a guarantee even if you pick your seats. You need to keep an eye on them in case they change planes or something else happens.

for the yellowstone/grand canyon trip how many days would you plan? so torn on flying vs. driving but thinking we could do more if we fly
Do you mean flying or driving between the two NPs? Would you be flying or driving from your home? (sorry, no spreadsheet listing home states here lol)

We did a 3 week NP trip many years ago :) We flew from PHL to SLC where I lived when I was in elementary school. We "did" SLC and drove out to Dinosaur National Monument which was one of my favorite places when I was little. I showed the kids where we used to go geode hunting in the 70s :) From SLC we drove north to Yellowstone, stopping at Golden Spike National Historical Park (train and history lovers). We explored all the parts of Yellowstone we could in 3 full days with a then-6 yo. Tetons for a couple days after that. Then we drove to Colorado Springs to visit family for several days. Followed that with a few nights in Moab for Arches NP etc. Spent a night at Mesa Verde NP. Drove to Grand Canyon NP with a quick stop on the way at Petrified Forest NP. We spent 3 (?) nights at Grand Canyon. Flew home out of PHX.

That was the trip we learned that older dd is afraid of heights :laughing:

We had only one really long day of driving--Jackson to Denver omg that took forever.

I've chatted with @MrPTato about first class lie-flat seats from BOS>HNL on Hawaiian previously:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3729982/post-60402220
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3729982/post-60537814
Here are Hawaiian's award charts: http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2218/~/hawaiianmiles-award-chart

It seems the going rate for one-way first class seats is 130k HawaiianMiles. I don't think I've ever seen saver award availability for first class on Hawaiian, but it might be worth setting up expertflyer. For 4 people, roundtrip, that's a lot of points! If you had to pick, it's 11 hours to Hawaii, and 9 hours back to BOS. The flight to Hawaii takes off from Boston in the morning and arrives in Hawaii in the afternoon. The return flight is a red-eye that departs in the afternoon and lands around 5 or 6 am ET.

TPG has some flight reviews:

Doing the 6-Time-Zone Shuffle: A Review of Hawaiian Airlines’ A330 in First Class From Boston to Honolulu - TPG

America’s Longest Red-Eye: Hawaiian Airlines’ A330 in Economy From Honolulu to Boston - TPG

The writer of both articles is the same, so you can read his perspective of flying BOS>HNL in first, and returning from HNL>BOS in economy.

There are some pretty good offers not the Barclays Hawaiian credit cards, which could buff up your HawaiianMiles, right now:

Barclays 60,000 Hawaiian Airlines Bonus – Annual Fee Waived First Year - DoC

Barclays 70,000 Mile Hawaiian Business Offer - DoC

But, as we know, Barclays has been randomly verifying people's "businesses," so there's a risk it might be a wasted pull.

I hope this helps get you started.
Thank you so much! I had seen that the Hawaiian Air flight would cost a ton of miles so I was hoping maybe I was missing a way to use less miles and still fly first. I guess not! I already have a Barclays JB card and the Arrival + so I'm wondering if they would approve me for the Hawaiian Airlines card. I'm also wondering if it's even worth trying for since that would only get me halfway to one one-way ticket.

Maybe I should have a long layover on the west coast instead and try to get at least the flight from CA-Hawaii in first. And visit DL for a day in between flights!

Thank you so much! I had seen that the Hawaiian Air flight would cost a ton of miles so I was hoping maybe I was missing a way to use less miles and still fly first. I guess not! I already have a Barclays JB card and the Arrival + so I'm wondering if they would approve me for the Hawaiian Airlines card. I'm also wondering if it's even worth trying for since that would only get me halfway to one one-way ticket.

Maybe I should have a long layover on the west coast instead and try to get at least the flight from CA-Hawaii in first. And visit DL for a day in between flights!
Yes!

So PayPal... yeah, I'd absolutely void using PayPal/Venmo (basically P2P payment services) to meet an Amex MSR, and I try to avoid using Amex to send money to people using PayPal/Venmo generally.

Last year, Amex updated their terms to exclude P2P payments as eligible payments for which you can earn points: Amex Updates Terms to Exclude Peer Payments, Cash Equivalents, & Amex GC from Earning Points - DoC

That said, in practice, PayPal transactions do count and earn points, see:

However, if there's any issue with your bonus posting, you don't want to give Amex any wiggle room to deny your SUB:

Or get hit with a financial review:

PayPal transactions appear like this on Amex statements and display L2 data:

PAYPAL *JOHNDOE - 5555555555, DC
PAYPAL *PAYPALGIFTS - 4029357733, CA
PAYPAL *EBAYINCSHIP - 4803767400, CA
PAYPAL *TARGETCORPO - 4029357733, MN

L2 data includes the name, address and phone number of the merchant when you click for more detail. I'd say using Amex through PayPal on store websites should be fine, but I just avoid using Amex to send individuals money using PayPal/Venmo. The above DP of the guy who got hit with a financial review for sending money to his brother, I'm guessing the same surname might have tipped Amex off; and the same would apply to sending money using PayPal to someone who shares the same address as you.
Thank you for compiling all of this information! I will avoid it completely on the Amex even though store websites may be safe. No need for scrutiny, bonus denial, or a financial review. LOL PayPal also adds a layer of complexity whenever returning something so I rarely use it unless its eBay which can go on a Visa or MC (not that I would/could return a GC). I guess my idea about PayPal hiding the L3 data would be correct, but there could be a negative outcome.

If you are booked on SW soon....keep a close eye on your flight status....they are cancelling flights a day before...happened to us(MCO-ISP)...5 flights to ISP were cancelled on Sunday...received LUV vouchers since it was a mechanical issue
or in my daughters case when they landed in in BWI...yesterday....the plane was supposed to continue on to RDU... but they kicked everyone off the plane and used it for a flight to Vegas....she is also getting a voucher
We both had to tweet SW to get the vouchers
She is flying back to ISP today and so far her flight is fine, but others have been cancelled
how is this happening???? how do you get another flight with no time to plan????

Hmm the bonus posted on DH's account but not mine. Honestly, I'm not even sure I realized it was one per household. I wonder if that's the problem. I confirmed on my account a while ago that the bonus is attached. Honestly I'll probably just let it go and be happy with DH's bonus. Wonder how soon I can transfer the money out of my account and close it.

There's definitely an ETF if you close within 180 days. I think it's $25.

how is this happening???? how do you get another flight with no time to plan????
no idea :confused3 ...we have flown SW since they came to ISP...probably 20 years ago....
I was lucky rebooking us on the later flight....DH and DS were playing golf...I was relaxing at the resort when the text arrived on the cancellation ....jumped right online to rebook and got 2 of the last 3 seats on the 9pm flight.....

:banana::banana::banana: whattttttttttt I'm an avid reader and I had NO idea I could get free books from IHG!!!!!! what else don't I know????? I'm so excited now (my library card needs renewing before I can get overdrive books again)

The kindle unlimited deal is not linked to IHG. Not sure about the free books with that. But last year Amazon had a promotion for get 3 months of Kindle Unlimited for 99cents. I did that around October and it ended after Christmas for me and then I cancelled it. I did google and find the 2 months for 99cents that @havaneselover mentioned to me and I did that. Thanks @havaneselover. Though if I was thinking I would have waited a few days. Currently in the middle of a book and one I had on hold at library just came up so I am wasting the first week probably.

Sorry OT SW question please!

Just checked in for our 5:40 am flight tomorrow on SW, and we got B boarding positions. We have a 5 year old and an 8 year old. Can all 4 of us use family boarding after A, or can only the 5 year old board with one parent? I'm a little freaked out about this! Trying not to be though, I just want to get to sit with the kiddos. I've just always had A boarding positions so I'm nervous. Thanks!
Looks like you will get family boarding, but just wanted to let you know- my family had B 36-39 on way to California about a week and a half ago. The flight was full, but we were able to sit 3 together (me and kids) with DH right across. It was near the back (maybe 7-9 rows from back) but together. On way home we got B52-55 and we were able to sit together again. This flight was not completely full. We were around the same area of the plane. I was nervous, as well. It was DS's first flight, but it all worked out. Hope it all works out for you, too!

Do you mean flying or driving between the two NPs? Would you be flying or driving from your home? (sorry, no spreadsheet listing home states here lol)

We did a 3 week NP trip many years ago :) We flew from PHL to SLC where I lived when I was in elementary school. We "did" SLC and drove out to Dinosaur National Monument which was one of my favorite places when I was little. I showed the kids where we used to go geode hunting in the 70s :) From SLC we drove north to Yellowstone, stopping at Golden Spike National Historical Park (train and history lovers). We explored all the parts of Yellowstone we could in 3 full days with a then-6 yo. Tetons for a couple days after that. Then we drove to Colorado Springs to visit family for several days. Followed that with a few nights in Moab for Arches NP etc. Spent a night at Mesa Verde NP. Drove to Grand Canyon NP with a quick stop on the way at Petrified Forest NP. We spent 3 (?) nights at Grand Canyon. Flew home out of PHX.

That was the trip we learned that older dd is afraid of heights :laughing:

We had only one really long day of driving--Jackson to Denver omg that took forever.

Originally my husband wanted to rent an RV from Ohio, go through SD/ND/Badlands/Mount Rushmore into Yellowstone and back. I planned it all out an even in 2 weeks, (which honestly I'm not even sure how we'd get 2 weeks as he cuts grass and even in Aug you cant just skip 2 weeks) it would have been like......drive, drive, drive......get out, see it, okay back in the car, drive, drive, drive. And I thought.....would anyone even care? Here's Mt Rushmore kids.....okay, now back in the car. Then I looked into flying into places like Salt Lake City or Vegas, renting an RV and kind of going from there, but even then, unless I'm adding a ton of stuff like mule rides and white water rafting, I really don't think my family would enjoy things like Horse Shoe or Grand Canyon. That being said, I *think* I may try to make it into a 2 week trip, flying into Vegas, making it a small loop in an RV, returning the RV and then doing Cali for a week including DL. I think if we ended with more "fun" they wouldn't say the NP stuff was so boring.

I live an hour from Williamsburg and have zero interest in ever going to Colonial Williamsburg. I grew up being dragged to Sturbridge Village in MA which for some reason my parents thought was interesting. I like BG and WC, not a fan of VA beach, but have no clue how people spend a week on vacation in that area. I'd lose my mind.

Yeah, we actually hated VA Beach too, but when compared to Williamsburg, it became the highlight of our trip lol. The campground there was 95% French speaking, which isn't bad, just odd. 1,000 of campsites squished together. The free parking lot by the beach is on the south end. My kids kept asking what CBD gummies were and why there was so many smoke and knife shops. Ummmm. Then one night we walked the strip and even on a Tuesday it was getting rough by dark. We had trouble even finding a "regular" restaurant that wasn't ice cream, pizza, or more of an adult place with no kids menus. Honestly my kids were happy with the big waves though.....they could boogie board for hours. There was a really nice beach on the North end, part of a park with a campground. It actually was super nice but there was no waves and my kids wanted to leave lol. We will not be going back though. Like ever. Although I did get to shop at a Lidl so not all was lost lol.

I'm realizing now what a fluke it was. In March, the night before our cruise, I was just scrolling through FB trying to get to sleep, and low and behold this post comes up about a pricing error on rooms at Bellagio for all of Nov. So I thought, what the heck. Got on and sure enough, $50/night. So I booked it figuring later I'd cancel it. Hubby is deathly afraid of flying and we weren't about to drive from Ohio. I told him about it and he wasn't crazy about the idea. Who would watch the 4 kids, how long is that flight, etc? But then he started telling people "yeah, we've going to Vegas for our anniversary." Ohhh......are we? He's like....why not. SOOOO we're going haha. I REALLY want to go to somewhere "exotic" in the Caribbean for our 15 year anniversary next Nov so this will be a nice primer to see if the kids burn the house down without us.

With all these strange deaths lately in Fiji and Dominican Republic I am rethinking my need for "exotic"!

Except for land and sea entry, you use your card for that apparently. Not sure if that's newish or I completely forgot, but I was just noticing that bit when we applied hubby for GE. I could have forgotten it because we don't really drive across borders and hubby doesn't have it (yet!) so it wouldn't have gotten us into the fast lane anyway.
At the airport completely unused (unless you're using it as a form of ID).
Since @CyndiLouWho took a cruise this might have been something with that? (I hope)
Yikes, I guess I better start carrying ours then. So far we have only used it on flights. I wonder why they would need the physical card at port or driving over the border when you would be using your passport just like at the airport.

We are headed to Toronto and Niagara Falls Ont in two weeks. Staying at the Intercontinental Toronto Center and Hyatt Regency Toronto on points and free night certs. Staying at Sheraton on the Falls in Niagara.

We stayed at the Sheraton on the Falls for a couple nights last week - I loved the location. There is a fantastic magic show put on by Greg Frewin just a couple blocks from the Sheraton, he's amazing. I've only seen those kind of magic tricks on TV before, so to have them performed right in front of me was mind-blowing. And if you guys are into high ropes/challenge courses, we drove by the Whirlpool Adventure Course on our last day and I wish we had enough time to check that one out, it looked like a blast. Have a fun time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter