I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I keep wavering on my next move from:

No move- keep the cards I have and focus on building URs and MRs

to

Get the United Mileage card with my 50,000 bonus points mailer.

to

Cancelling or PCing my CSP to a CFU. DH has a CSP and we don't both need it since it has an AF.

Now I am thinking-
1. Forget the United card for me. DH has one. We don't need two. The bonus points will come in handy if we ever take that trip to Europe we talk about. But other than that we don't fly United and when we finally do go to Europe I can transfer URs to his United account.

2. Don't PC or cancel my CSP. I use it a lot. If Chase ever takes away the ability to transfer URs between household members I will want both of us to have one.
How many people here with a P2 where both of you hold the CSP? Should I still consider cancelling one?

3. Apply for the CFU to use on any purchase that is not a bonus category on my other cards. This will help boost my UR stash.

I will be 3/24 next month. DH is a reluctant P2 who is at 2/24. Because he is not fully on board I plan to only get one or maybe two cards in 2019.

The main cards I use are:

CSP and Amex Everday for most purchases.

CF for bonus categories.

Discover IT for bonus categories.

I do not want business cards or high AFs.

Any thoughts on adding the CFU? Should I PC my CSP to CFU or keep the CSP?

If I were in your shoes, I would go with your 3rd option and apply for the CFU. Once your DH's CSP has reached the 24 mo mark from opening, then add yourself as an AU to his CSP and it will not count toward your */24. I have noticed this with Chase cards, that AUs are dated on the credit report as the date that the primary holder opened the account (in my case I saw this with two Chase cards). That way you'd have a CSP in your name that you can use as well (though a lot of places don't check IME). I'm planning on this technique for adding DH onto my CSR. When I did that before, I noticed that it got reported as opened on the date I opened my CSR, not the actual date that I added him as AU. I removed him as AU last year in order to drop a card off his */24 status, but plan on adding him back after I pay my CSR AF. I'm doing it in that order, because from the last time I added him as AU, I was only charged when my CSR renewed (7 mo later?) and not when I added him. So I'm hoping to just pay my $450 AF, then add him back in and not get charged the $75 AU fee until next renewal. The CSR is a keeper for me.

ETA: And cancel your CSP, forgot to add that in.

Last edited:
-I use a lot of United and Delta miles! I find United miles are easiest to earn from shopping portals/shopping portal bonuses and Miles Plus X App.
That is a lot of Delta miles! Did you earn most of them through CC bonuses and MR transfers, or do you have another way to get Delta miles? I'm not a Delta hostage, but either Delta or SW often seem to have the best flights for me. DH and I used all our Delta miles for Barcelona flights and I'm looking to rebuild my stash. I used the shopping portal last year to earn some because I was a bit short for my Barcelona flights, but usually I use cash back portals instead.

Touche! Thank you :flower3: When I say Ridiculous Redemptions, I was thinking more along the lines of flying from FL to SanFran to see Hamilton, flying to London for the weekend to see the Harry Potter play, flying to Scotland for a long weekend to see the Fairy Pools, flying to NYC for the weekend to see the Harry Potter play there, flying to DC for the weekend to see Hamilton again, flying to DC for the weekend because cherry blossoms, blowing half a million points on one flight to try out Singapore Suites etc.

I think Antarctica or any other real vacation is something that is a reasonable goal or bucket list place. Most folks would save and earn lots of points and burn the points to fulfill these types of vacations without anyone batting an eye. It's a reasonable thing to do. Meanwhile, I'll throw gasoline and light a fire to any number of points on a whim. I've had people IRL tell me I'm crazy and that wasting that amount of points for those things is stupid with regards to some of the aforementioned point redemptions. Therefore, I can only imagine that some in our DISchurner family here may think the same thing too, but are polite enough not to voice their opinion in writing. Maybe not. In any case, that's ok. I'd sooner wear wear those sentiments as a badge of honor than be shamed by it. So bring on the points, because I've always got something absurd in mind, gasoline and a lighter at the ready! :D
They are ridiculous Amazing!!! :worship:

So I keep wavering on my next move from:

No move- keep the cards I have and focus on building URs and MRs

to

Get the United Mileage card with my 50,000 bonus points mailer.

to

Cancelling or PCing my CSP to a CFU. DH has a CSP and we don't both need it since it has an AF.

Now I am thinking-
1. Forget the United card for me. DH has one. We don't need two. The bonus points will come in handy if we ever take that trip to Europe we talk about. But other than that we don't fly United and when we finally do go to Europe I can transfer URs to his United account.

2. Don't PC or cancel my CSP. I use it a lot. If Chase ever takes away the ability to transfer URs between household members I will want both of us to have one.
How many people here with a P2 where both of you hold the CSP? Should I still consider cancelling one?

3. Apply for the CFU to use on any purchase that is not a bonus category on my other cards. This will help boost my UR stash.

I will be 3/24 next month. DH is a reluctant P2 who is at 2/24. Because he is not fully on board I plan to only get one or maybe two cards in 2019.

The main cards I use are:

CSP and Amex Everday for most purchases.

CF for bonus categories.

Discover IT for bonus categories.

I do not want business cards or high AFs.

Any thoughts on adding the CFU? Should I PC my CSP to CFU or keep the CSP?

I’d apply for the CFU...for the bonus URs.

Cancel your CSP..if you don’t want to pay the annual fee.......since you have a CF and a CFU...you can always PC one of those back to a CSP if Chase takes away UR transfers between people...

#****ychurning. Had to return a game to gamestop and I realized SO payed with his card that I didn’t have on me. I got the return in cash. Got 167 MR points for nothing.

The important question is, which game?

Is there any reason I shouldn't just toss my old CSP in the trash? Card is closed and that CC number is no longer active because the card was compromised, so my CFU that I PCed to has a new number on it.

Years ago before I even realized I was churning - or had a name for what I was doing - I threw metal cards like the CSP in the trash, because I didn't know Chase would send an envelope. Never had an issue. It's totally up to how comfortable you are with it though. One anecdote a law does not make, and all that.

If I were in your shoes, I would go with your 3rd option and apply for the CFU. Once your DH's CSP has reached the 24 mo mark from opening, then add yourself as an AU to his CSP and it will not count toward your */24. I have noticed this with Chase cards, that AUs are dated on the credit report as the date that the primary holder opened the account (in my case I saw this with two Chase cards). That way you'd have a CSP in your name that you can use as well (though a lot of places don't check IME). I'm planning on this technique for adding DH onto my CSR. When I did that before, I noticed that it got reported as opened on the date I opened my CSR, not the actual date that I added him as AU. I removed him as AU last year in order to drop a card off his */24 status, but plan on adding him back after I pay my CSR AF. I'm doing it in that order, because from the last time I added him as AU, I was only charged when my CSR renewed (7 mo later?) and not when I added him. So I'm hoping to just pay my $450 AF, then add him back in and not get charged the $75 AU fee until next renewal. The CSR is a keeper for me.

Putting this little gem in the back of my head!

Really guys, there’s no spreadsheet. I just try to read everything and keep a really good memory because I think it helps me in my replies to know where you all are coming from and what you want out of this hobby. And besides, you all are like old friends and new to me. I’m pretty good with the search button too.
Sometimes I ask myself if you are really a person and not a robot!

People gonna wake up tomorrow and find themselves on page 10 saying WHAT HAPPENED!!
Lol that was me! Holly smokes you guys can chat.... a lot!

Thanks again for making/organizing this thread @SouthFayetteFan!

I have been following for over a year and was able to get to few vacations that would not have been possible with all the help from the experts here!

That is a lot of Delta miles! Did you earn most of them through CC bonuses and MR transfers, or do you have another way to get Delta miles? I'm not a Delta hostage, but either Delta or SW often seem to have the best flights for me. DH and I used all our Delta miles for Barcelona flights and I'm looking to rebuild my stash. I used the shopping portal last year to earn some because I was a bit short for my Barcelona flights, but usually I use cash back portals instead.

Sadly, no good suggestions for big earn outside of CC bonuses. Just a lot of referring cards to family members, then making sure they make the MSR as well as maxing out the CC bonuses (my father has no idea he has a card, my mother has a DL plat she lets me manage, etc). I guess throw in flying on cash enough to earn some as well. Unfortunately DL's shopping portal is pretty stingy.

I think Antarctica or any other real vacation is something that is a reasonable goal or bucket list place. Most folks would save and earn lots of points and burn the points to fulfill these types of vacations without anyone batting an eye. It's a reasonable thing to do. Meanwhile, I'll throw gasoline and light a fire to any number of points on a whim. I've had people IRL tell me I'm crazy and that wasting that amount of points for those things is stupid with regards to some of the aforementioned point redemptions. Therefore, I can only imagine that some in our DISchurner family here may think the same thing too, but are polite enough not to voice their opinion in writing. Maybe not. In any case, that's ok. I'd sooner wear wear those sentiments as a badge of honor than be shamed by it. So bring on the points, because I've always got something absurd in mind, gasoline and a lighter at the ready! :D
Never mind anyone who tells you how to spend your money or your points! I love to see how everyone is using points and what they are doing in case it gives me ideas. Everyone's vacations & leisure time are unique and personal to them. How you choose to spend time and money/points is up to you. I'm most jealous of the amount of points you can amass and just trying to learn from the experts!

Thanks. I thought about that - probably wouldn't be able to max out 2 CFs. And may get DH a CF at some point.

The way I think of the having multiple CFs vs. the CF/CFU combination is: For quarterly categories where you can buy GCs (in 2019 alone, there's at least two quarters between drugstores and grocery stores at a minimum), particularly VGCs/MCGCs, I think having multiple CFs can generate URs faster than a CFU.

Obviously, there are a couple extra steps, but it's up to the individual to determine if the individual steps are worth the incremental UR on each purchase. CFU earns a flat 1.5x UR. If I bought a $500 VGC/MCGC at a drugstore or grocery store for everyday spend, stripping out the $5.95 purchase fee, the 5x UR is now effectively 3.8x UR/dollar spent > 1.5x UR from the CFU. Again, this doesn't preclude you from still signing up for a CFU, just food for thought.

I'm going to post a counter data point, and ask if someone out there can clarify. I opened my CSP in 8/2016. My wife was added as an authorized user in 2/1017. I think it it still counts against her 5/24 and shows up on her Chase credit journey with an opening date of 2/2017.

Ugh, my Walmart is burned for MOs they asked for ID and started putting my address into the system. Then they couldn’t accept my address because it’s a PO Box. They told me I need to bring a bill next time with my address? Really? For a $498 MO???
Need a dislike button on here :sad1:

PSA for Ibotta users - DoC just posted that they're now deducting $3.99 inactivity fee if you don't use it for 180 days. Boo!
I never really got into Ibotta. It was 10 cents here and there. I don't even have 3.99 accumulated so wonder if they try to charge me!:P

Last edited:
Need a dislike button on here :sad1:

Another dislike :sad1:. I like other's ideas to tweet about missing miles but I'd use the term stolen since they were.

I never really got into Ibotta. It was 10 cents here and there. I don't even have 3.99 accumulated so wonder if they try to charge me!:P
Ibotta is hit or miss. Three times this week I've gotten $7 for buying seven lean cuisines (which are on sale at Kroger for $1.77)--easy lunch for me for work. One month I hit a bunch of bonuses without really trying and I saw how people got sucked in. But then I lost interest:)

Has anyone found a way to view the details of a Chase offer without actually adding it? I am a little paranoid to add things that I am interested in fear of missing a better offer after the double Staples promo. However, I also want to know the max value back and restrictions of the offer!

No :( It's a giant failing of the system in my book. BoA, Chase, and I think PNC uses the same system, in order to read anything you have to select it and once you select it it's added with no way to remove it.

I thought maybe I should give them another couple weeks, since they said it would be 2-4 weeks?

But when is the feb flight? It's not only your miles but what they are going to do about the other persons flight. That person needs to know if it's getting cancelled. I know we shouldn't feel bad for them, they used miles that weren't theirs (if they even understood that part since we don't know who's at fault) but if it's AA's fault why should the other person lose out too. I don't see why it should take 4 weeks, I would think they would want to resolve this more quickly than that and I'd be pushing for a resolution and something to help make you whole. What if you'd needed to book with those points for a flight within that 2-4 weeks or even if your flight opened up at 330 and now you can't book it. For me it comes down to it's a currency and you don't mess with my money regardless of the form it's in and I'm impatient.

Phew, finally caught up to the end of the old thread and 6 pages on the new :faint:

Props to @SouthFayetteFan for kicking off the new thread. There's a feeling of old, yet, still 'new' :D

Credit card related chatter:

Got the first half of our SW CP points posted to my account. Woooo! Now to wait on the Priority, which won't happen til Feb (and hopefully trigger the 15% bonus) because one of my charges was pending for a few days. Not a big deal, didn't need the CP until May and I have flights reserved for the time being with points. If fares stay low, my goal is to actually use up some of the $1000 in SW GCs I'm hoarding from the airline credits...:rolleyes:

@DisneyMandC and @SouthFayetteFan: How long did it take your Citi AA Biz statement credits to post after buying the AA eGCs? I bought my $200 eGC (since this was from the Citi AA Biz I got back in July like @DisneyMandC with had the $200 statement credit offer) on 1/10 and still haven't seen anything, yet.
Yep - AA stmt credits post in conjunction with the statement closing :)

Sadly, no good suggestions for big earn outside of CC bonuses. Just a lot of referring cards to family members, then making sure they make the MSR as well as maxing out the CC bonuses (my father has no idea he has a card, my mother has a DL plat she lets me manage, etc). I guess throw in flying on cash enough to earn some as well. Unfortunately DL's shopping portal is pretty stingy.
Unfortunately, that's what I figured. Thanks though! I have also found DL's shopping portal to not be worth it, except when I was trying to get the last few miles into our account (I had no MR cards at the time). I'll probably add more Delta cards to my long-term horizon for new CC apps.

Just another confirmation of SW retention offer for 1st year, little to no spend after MSR :) P2 got the SW+ card last year on a targeted offer, 40k points + $100 stmt credit for 1k in spend. Made the spend, probably didn't put any more than $50 on it throughout the year after that. Got a retention offer today for the $35 stmt credit. So for $3 we got 44,000 SW points + another 3k on the next anniversary :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter