I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Disney+ and basically Disney’s entire catalog out of the vault, I’m crying a little inside for all the money I spent on the iTunes digital versions of these movies.
I felt the exact same way when booting up the app last night! Especially since most of the movies I pulled up are coming in at 4K resolution w/Dolby Vision... AND they include the special features. :charac2:

I had quite a Blu-ray and DVD collection too, but I sold almost all of it to a used video/music store (Amoeba) a few years ago, where the guy told me a lot of people had been coming in to ditch physical and go digital/cloud even then. I pocketed a few hundred bucks and freed up a lot of space. With Disney+ and basically Disney’s entire catalog out of the vault, I’m crying a little inside for all the money I spent on the iTunes digital versions of these movies.
My sister has almost the entire Disney movie collection on VHS :). I wonder if I can convince her to try to sell it now that Disney + has all the movies available! Not even sure if it would be worth anything.

Maybe something simple like a CFU for the 1.5 back on all purchases....

Yes, something like that would be great. Maybe each of them get either CF or CFU, and then see if one of them would go for the CSP. I know they are wanting to take my DD on a graduation cruise summer 2021. I’d love to help them figure out a way to cruise in the Mediterranean rather than the Caribbean. Not that a Caribbean cruise would be awful, but my mom and daughter would love to see Italy/the Greek isles. :lovestruc

Y'all are making me wonder if I'm one of the last people that doesn't have a smart television (dd does and I have a smart tv in the family room in the Toronto house). No Roku or fire stick either. I have been eyeing a smart tv for a while now, but the wiring on the set in the den is a rats nest (it goes back to the day of Panasonic Elite, which has its own box -- wires everywhere) -- the wiring is in a separate room behind the television, so I'd have to pay someone to come and set up for sure!

Last edited:

Y'all are making me wonder if I'm one of the last people that doesn't have a smart television (dd does and I have a smart tv in the family room in the Toronto house). No Roku or fire stick either. I have been eyeing a smart tv for a while now, but the wiring on the set in the den is a rats nest (it goes back to the day of Panasonic Elite, which has its own box -- wires everywhere).
My preference is to keep the streaming boxes and TV separate. The apps and technology are evolving so fast now that it's out-dating most of our smart TV's here. On my Panasonic smart plasma I bought in 2015, Netflix barely runs.

Have been working on all the Amazon Shop with Points deals. Got the Discover 20% up to $50 and Chase $15 off $60 to work for both me and DH. The Amex and Citi ones aren't working for us yet, but going to keep trying.

Had a small fail on the Discover one. I'm so conditioned to reload Amazon GC to get the spend on the card I want instead of the card with the offer that I totally forgot Discover is 5% cashback on Amazon this quarter. Put it on my Hilton Biz instead since statement is closing soon with no spend and gotta keep the RAT happy.

1) "[T]hose who got in early on Disney Plus will still be eligible for the Verizon promotion, if they’re on a qualifying service. According to Verizon, customers who have already preordered Disney Plus will have their existing subscription “paused” for the 12-month period. The subscriptions they already paid for will then resume through Disney." https://variety.com/2019/digital/ne...free-unlimited-wireless-customers-1203379631/

2) If you have an Amex Offer added, it will appear in a separate added tab. If it's not there and you're not seeing it in your available offers, it may be that the offer is no longer available because it's fully enrolled. All Amex Offers are subject to enrollment limits. The Verizon offer was very popular ($100 savings on something many people will spend on anyway), so it may have filled up. Other popular offers include Best Buy, Staples, Lowe's, Sam’s Club, and hotel offers. It's always a good idea to add popular Amex Offers ASAP or you risk them filling up and getting pulled.

I also wonder if you have too many available Amex Offers? The app can display only 50 available Amex Offers, and the website can display only up to 100 offers. Any more, and the clutter may be hiding some offers. You can pare down the number of Amex Offers displayed by simply adding an offer to your cards whether you intend to use them or not. I tend to add offers I don't plan to use onto my less used Amex cards.

Thanks for the info @Lain. That's so awesome about Verizon. I did sign up with them today. I will double check in a couple days if Disney will be pausing my subscription.

Good tip on the Amex Offers. I could have sworn I added it and it disappeared.

Update on the Bonvoy $300 credit and some DP. I went ahead and purchased an e-gift card online and I got the $300 credit about 5 days after!

I'm leaving for Japan next week. I want to share the points I used to make the trip almost free. Should I do that here or on DISchurners Japan tab?

Didn’t realize how deep into this “hobby” I was until I tried to explain it to my parents this week. I found it very difficult to give a simple, bare bones “how to” description just because of the sheer volume of information and the complexity of it all. I wasn’t sure what to suggest they try to get started. Maybe you all have a suggestion. I don’t think they’d go for any business cards, and I don’t think they want an AF, though I might be able to talk them into a small one for a very special profitable card. I was thinking about suggesting CF and learning to max out the UR’s earnable each quarter as much as would be possible for them. Or maybe they’d consider one of the travel eraser type cards with ~$95 AF like the Venture. They don’t have any new cards the last two years. Any thoughts/ideas?

ETA They almost exclusively use a debit card now, but to my knowledge haven’t had any major cc’s ever other than a few store cards, one Discover card, and a CU Visa (all of these eons ago).

Is Bank of America in their state? If your parents have 100K in assets (brokerage, IRA, etc.), I think the BoA Premier Rewards Visa is the easiest and rewarding card for ongoing spend to use, if they want to keep it simple. They could probably even get a bonus for transferring assets over to qualify them for the Platinum Honors tier of BoA's Preferred Rewards program (generally ranges from $600-$900 for $100K assets depending on the time of year). At the Platinum Honors level that gets them a 75% bonus on earnings, it becomes a 2.625% everywhere card and 3.5% on travel and dining. $95 annual fee, receive $100 travel credit each cardmember year (not a PITA to use like amex), $100 GE credit, simple cash out rewards to the checking account or as a statement credit.

Have been working on all the Amazon Shop with Points deals. Got the Discover 20% up to $50 and Chase $15 off $60 to work for both me and DH. The Amex and Citi ones aren't working for us yet, but going to keep trying.

Had a small fail on the Discover one. I'm so conditioned to reload Amazon GC to get the spend on the card I want instead of the card with the offer that I totally forgot Discover is 5% cashback on Amazon this quarter. Put it on my Hilton Biz instead since statement is closing soon with no spend and gotta keep the RAT happy.
How much spend do you put on your AMEX accounts after MSR? I finished MSR on my Hilton Biz last week, so I was just planning to pay a small bill each month with the card until I close the account.

How much spend do you put on your AMEX accounts after MSR? I finished MSR on my Hilton Biz last week, so I was just planning to pay a small bill each month with the card until I close the account.

It depends. Some months <$100, some several hundred. I try not to let any statement close with a zero balance. I also try to split up the MSR over 3 statement periods. The specifics of the pop-up are a mystery though, so who knows if this is enough.

Is anyone else a little gun shy with Amex right now? I've been working on accumulating MRs, but with the recent shutdown DPs, I'm a little afraid to open a new account. I was able to pull up the 45k Green in incognito mode, but am just a bit hesitant. Incidentally, this would put me at 5/24 and out of the Chase picture for quite a while, but I've been thinking of moving on to some other issuers anyways. But that adds to my hesitation too I guess...

ETA: I haven't done any self-referrals or any other Amex no-no's that I'm aware of, other than opening 4 of their charge cards this year.

Amex loves it when u spend. If your not doing any loopholes, you will be fine. But keep that spendings up or you just might get that pop up.

It depends. Some months <$100, some several hundred. I try not to let any statement close with a zero balance. I also try to split up the MSR over 3 statement periods. The specifics of the pop-up are a mystery though, so who knows if this is enough.
I never thought about taking the full 3 months for MSR with AMEX. DH and I are both hitting our Hilton AMEX cards hard while we wait to finish spend on my SW card after the first of the year. I'll try to even out our spend so we at least make it to the3rd billing cycle for those.

Interesting Best buy deal posted on DOC.
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/15-cashback-at-best-buy-online-with-retailmenot-max-70-cashback/I have the Amex promo to use and $10 Best Buy credit. I went ahead and ordered some Air Pod pros! Hope it credits like it says.

I just ordered a set of Airpod Pros for DH. It will make the perfect item to put in his stocking and he will not be expecting it at all! To hit the $300, I put in a $25 Hulu and $30 Netflix card (money we would spend anyways). It won't get the 15% bonus, but it did trigger the Amex offer. With the 15% cashback and the $30 from Amex, it brings the Airpods to just below $200 with tax. Yay!

I just ordered a set of Airpod Pros for DH. It will make the perfect item to put in his stocking and he will not be expecting it at all! To hit the $300, I put in a $25 Hulu and $30 Netflix card (money we would spend anyways). It won't get the 15% bonus, but it did trigger the Amex offer. With the 15% cashback and the $30 from Amex, it brings the Airpods to just below $200 with tax. Yay!
Why do you say it (gift cards) won't get the bonus? I've been getting RMN on gift cards from BB so hopefully it will:)

Why do you say it (gift cards) won't get the bonus? I've been getting RMN on gift cards from BB so hopefully it will:)

Well, the fine print says that it excludes gift cards, so I just assumed. If it got the bonus, that would be awesome. But also, I don't know if the gift cards were in the "Top Deals" section either.

We have our last unrestricted free night certificates with IHG booked. I was hoping to go to DC and stay at the Willard again during cherry blossom time but that won't work out due to work scheduling. So we decided not to complicate things and booked a weekend in Key West at Crowne Plaza Key West La Concha. The room is $366 per night that weekend. Great value for a free night cert on a $49 AF card. When I called to book, I was offered 500 IHG points to listen to their vacation promotion. I said sure, why not. I cracked up inside as they said the vacation promotion they are offering was NOT a bucket list type vacation but just a 4 day, 3 night getaway vacation. So I knew to keep my expectations low :laughing:

The offer was a choice of 10 destinations, including Orlando, Las Vegas, Branson, Myrtle Beach, Williamsburg, Smoky Mountains, Cocoa Beach, Scottsdale, Galveston, Berkshires, Sheridan, Lake Palestine, and Canyon Lake for $199. Once you listen to the presentation, your $199 is refunded. Since 5 of the locations are interesting to me for a weekend getaway, I don't mind spending a couple of hours of my time in payment once the refund is factored into account.

Amex loves it when u spend. If your not doing any loopholes, you will be fine. But keep that spendings up or you just might get that pop up.

Thanks! I decided to pull the trigger and approved! If I’m recalling correctly Amex won’t report this one until after the second statement closes, is that right? I might be able to sneak in another Chase app in that time.

We just logged into Disney+ and DH said “this is our life now.”
Same. I told DS and DH that every weekend is Disney Movie Night now.
I'm with you on the website, haven't needed customer service. It seems a little murky how long you need to keep the account open. Based on DoC comments, I'm keeping it open a year to be safe. At least I only need to keep $100 in it
They froze my account because they didn’t receive the snail mail with a copy of my DL. And they didn’t bother to tell me, so I tried to use the debit card a couple times before calling in to find out why it was declined
I’m not sure what to watch because I want to wait until Dh is home. He didn’t have tv besides local channels as a kid so I need to share all of the shows and disney channel movies with him
This is how I feel about watching with DS although it’s more about the movies since I didn’t grow up with Disney Channel. Lol

I had quite a Blu-ray and DVD collection too, but I sold almost all of it to a used video/music store (Amoeba) a few years ago, where the guy told me a lot of people had been coming in to ditch physical and go digital/cloud even then. I pocketed a few hundred bucks and freed up a lot of space. With Disney+ and basically Disney’s entire catalog out of the vault, I’m crying a little inside for all the money I spent on the iTunes digital versions of these movies.
I had a bunch of VHS for my future child but lost them when our basement flooded. So I feel like now I have them back...and then some.
Y'all are making me wonder if I'm one of the last people that doesn't have a smart television (dd does and I have a smart tv in the family room in the Toronto house). No Roku or fire stick either. I have been eyeing a smart tv for a while now, but the wiring on the set in the den is a rats nest (it goes back to the day of Panasonic Elite, which has its own box -- wires everywhere) -- the wiring is in a separate room behind the television, so I'd have to pay someone to come and set up for sure!
No smart TVs here, ours are pretty old as technology goes. I did buy 2 Roku last year to quit Xfinity. Our bill was just ridiculous. Of course now I’ve added sports stuff for DS it’s not as cheap as I was hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter