I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dh and I started looking at cruise options for 2021. We're thinking summer and want to do Norway/Scotland/Iceland if we can get them all on the same cruise. Dh is still not sure about doing a cruise. He thinks he'd rather fly there and stay. I think cruising would allow us to see more ports without traveling a bunch on our own with a baby. So far, I'm seeing MSC as a good option for a cruise line.

I see MSC on Expedia, so I would guess it's bookable with URs.

We did a Med cruise with them last summer on the brand new Seaview. Beautiful ship, service wasn't as good as DCL (obviously) or even NCL. Food in the main dining room was just okay, but the specialty restaurants were excellent (we did a package). We were in steerage (not their concierge Yacht Club), lol. The shows were a mishmash of various variety acts. That said, I felt like we got great value for money and I would consider them again.

We had a Super Family Plus cabin, which is 3 connected balconies (fits max 10). We had 2 cabins (took my mom), and my BFF and her family had the third. Our portion was $5000 for the 2 cabins, which is about what we paid for a Disney Fantasy Caribbean cruise for 4 of us in 1 balcony cabin in the off season. You may want to consider these types of cabins if your parents decide to come. It's 1 fixed base price (not counting port fees and taxes) no matter how many people up to the max. The also have a Super Family (no Plus) that fits 6. On the Seaview, that's 2 connected balconies, but some ships have other layouts.

They have a status match program. Even with only 1 DCL under your belt, you can status match to the MSC program for 5% off any cruise. Though I'm not sure how that would work if you book with URs.

You guys will get a kick out of this.

A little background... right around the time I discovered this thread, I told a friend of mine (who has previously said he travels on points) that I was looking into traveling on points. I didn't go into specifics about how I planned to earn them. His response was, "You should check out TPG on Facebook; he has a lot of good tips." I had already seen a lot of your thoughts on TPG here, but it doesn't hurt anything to go "like" a Page on FB so I went ahead and "liked" it so I can see what he is up to. Always good for entertainment, right? (Reading some people's comments is fun too).

I have never once commented on a TPG post (or even reacted to one, that I can recall).

Last week I had a FB notification: You've been recognized as a Top Fan of The Points Guy. Claim your badge now!

Ummmmmm, how does that even happen if I don't interact with a Page? So chalk it up to the vagaries of FB but I thought some of you, particularly @SouthFayetteFan , would be amused by my "Top Fandom"

Dh and I started looking at cruise options for 2021. We're thinking summer and want to do Norway/Scotland/Iceland if we can get them all on the same cruise. Dh is still not sure about doing a cruise. He thinks he'd rather fly there and stay. I think cruising would allow us to see more ports without traveling a bunch on our own with a baby. So far, I'm seeing MSC as a good option for a cruise line.

Ok so this is just my opinion - but MSC has the worst food of any line I've ever cruised. And I come by this honestly because I've cruised MSC 4 times! They used to be the host line for a heavy metal cruise called Shiprocked we used to do. All of us would pack granola bars and crackers to have something to eat. I would drop weight each time I cruised MSC.

Now a coworker did an MSC cruise last November and she didn't seem to have any complaints. So maybe the food has improved. But I'm telling you... it used to be really bad. All that said, MSC does have some of the best European routes and I've looked at them for that.

‘Not fancy but room to spread outa bit and very close to DL - Embassy Suites. We used Uber to get around. Rented a car for one day to go toHuntington Beach. National rental place right by hotel.
Thanks! I was checking Embassy and Homewood Suites across the street out last night as options that would give us more room! I also realized all rooms in LA are just a lot of points & none are at super swanky hotels like you’d expect for the same amount of points in other places.

That’s right. It’s 2 weeks. I was thinking it was over.
so I sent my ds to buy one card at staples,which seems to be an unknown quiet corner,and there's never shortage of cards here,he's working on his CIP MSR. He went in on two previous days last week,and got one card each time..last night he came home with this story....:scared: So he walked in,and said there were 2 manager types by the front door conversing about sales etc. he heads straight to the gc rack (mere steps away) and grabs a card,and spies a young kid cashier who he figures won't know or question his previous purchases (He's paranoid now lol) so after the kid swipes the card, DS decides he's going for more.... he grabs 2 more,the kid checks him out,and he heads out the door. On his way out he hears the manager types saying to the kid "wait,what did you just sell that guy? How many..." and that's all DS heard as he sped out the door.
Hmmm. Proud of DS for doing what he needed to do,but I also explained to him about staying under the radar,to protect that little quiet spot..... (It's my easy go to spot!) So I'm hoping it doesn't 'ruin' my spot, but DS is a fast learner...

Thanks! I was checking Embassy and Homewood Suites across the street out last night as options that would give us more room! I also realized all rooms in LA are just a lot of points & none are at super swanky hotels like you’d expect for the same amount of points in other places.

I usually prefer HGI but when we have 4 traveling we look for ES plus the free breakfast buffet saves you at least $40-50 each day. Have not stayed at a Homewood yet.

Quick question for a friend....they've got some medical bills that will need paying pretty soon,and looking for a good MSR to get some bonus points,she's at either 1 or 2/24 right now (CSP was last cc a year or so back) and her goal is domestic (she loves the CP,currently doesn't have one for next year yet) and main goal is internationl travel,esp. to Panama..... what is best cc I can recommend to get her to Panama? Her last flight was on United, any quick recommendations appreciated. UR? Not sure they work well for her int. goals
-----ETA---- ok. I can see now that I need to recommend more UR for her,am I correct? It appears she can transfer easily to United or AA for flights, plus the always easy domestics like JB and SWA if desired. I'm going to recommend CIP, then SWA combo for the CP depending on the MSR spend she needs for those bills.

Last edited:

I have flights I need to cancel that will incur me a fee. I’m an AU on my brothers Amex gold card. Would the fees be covered by the yearly $100 credit? Or would the $200 AA citi credit card sign up bonus work? Been trying to read the fine print and I think both would work but want to be sure before I try! Thanks!

question on the VGC- is it smart to register each card I get,does this help prevent fraudulent use? I usually register and then add my own pin #...or is it not necessary?
ETA.....and on that note..... I regsistered all cards just fine, but it won't allow me to create new pin for 2 out of 3 afterward.....should I be concerned?

Last edited:

A couple years ago we stayed at the Homewood Suites on Harbor Blvd across from the convention center. It's right next to the Disneyland parking lot, so we could walk to their parking shuttle pickup area and ride their shuttle to the gates. Super convenient (their shuttles are very frequent... I don't think we ever waited more than 5 min.).

The Homewood had a pretty good breakfast and a few nights a week they had complementary appetizers and drinks. We were able to use this for dinner, although one night I ran out and got more for myself because it wasn't substantial enough for me (it was good enough for the rest of the family though).

Quick post, then to go back and read probably 57 pages....

Last week I complained how I had gotten behind and needed to borrow the last couple months from savings. I knew I should eventually balance out. I already did! I got my extra pay from school (for the club I do), I had a child support payment hit, and the $250 in back taxes the state owes me should be coming soon! I went from thinking I'd be borrowing $200 this next round of bills, to still having $1k in the bank after I pay them!

I knew I just needed stuff to settle and I should be okay. I'm going to run another full months of bills and pay days to make sure that I've balanced out finally. It's nice to breathe again. I knew being "off" like this every month was not normal. Adding in new cards messes up the balance of pays/due dates I normally have set up. But I think the planets have realigned and all is good :)

Is there a way to notify Amazon when a prime package hasn't arrived? I ordered a book for DD on Tuesday and was told it would arrive today. Now its showing a delivery date of Sunday. The only option I see is to reorder it again. So irritating, I ordered 4 things that day and 3 of the 4 came today. This book was the only one that I really cared if it came today.

If you contact Amazon, they normally compensate in some way for late deliveries. Sometimes it's a credit, sometimes they extend prime a month.

You guys will get a kick out of this.

A little background... right around the time I discovered this thread, I told a friend of mine (who has previously said he travels on points) that I was looking into traveling on points. I didn't go into specifics about how I planned to earn them. His response was, "You should check out TPG on Facebook; he has a lot of good tips." I had already seen a lot of your thoughts on TPG here, but it doesn't hurt anything to go "like" a Page on FB so I went ahead and "liked" it so I can see what he is up to. Always good for entertainment, right? (Reading some people's comments is fun too).

I have never once commented on a TPG post (or even reacted to one, that I can recall).

Last week I had a FB notification: You've been recognized as a Top Fan of The Points Guy. Claim your badge now!

Ummmmmm, how does that even happen if I don't interact with a Page? So chalk it up to the vagaries of FB but I thought some of you, particularly @SouthFayetteFan , would be amused by my "Top Fandom"

TPG does occasionally have good tips, more so if you search in their archives back when they were less shilly. That's the thing, TPG makes money by pushing their credit card links (and to some extent a "lifestyle") so you need to take everything with a grain of salt and question whether you're really getting the best advice or if TPG is just trying to make money off of you. Don't take TPG as the final word, do your homework and make your own decisions.

I got my second serve in the mail finally (after ordering the wrong, blue, one). Can I have 2 green in play in my name? Or is it better to hold onto the other other just in case? I slacked on the VGC last week, I've only bought $1k so far. I'm planning on hitting everyday this week if I can and getting $1k each time if I can. So if I can have 2 serve cards in play, that helps :)

I see MSC on Expedia, so I would guess it's bookable with URs.

We did a Med cruise with them last summer on the brand new Seaview. Beautiful ship, service wasn't as good as DCL (obviously) or even NCL. Food in the main dining room was just okay, but the specialty restaurants were excellent (we did a package). We were in steerage (not their concierge Yacht Club), lol. The shows were a mishmash of various variety acts. That said, I felt like we got great value for money and I would consider them again.

We had a Super Family Plus cabin, which is 3 connected balconies (fits max 10). We had 2 cabins (took my mom), and my BFF and her family had the third. Our portion was $5000 for the 2 cabins, which is about what we paid for a Disney Fantasy Caribbean cruise for 4 of us in 1 balcony cabin in the off season. You may want to consider these types of cabins if your parents decide to come. It's 1 fixed base price (not counting port fees and taxes) no matter how many people up to the max. The also have a Super Family (no Plus) that fits 6. On the Seaview, that's 2 connected balconies, but some ships have other layouts.

They have a status match program. Even with only 1 DCL under your belt, you can status match to the MSC program for 5% off any cruise. Though I'm not sure how that would work if you book with URs.
I’m glad you thought they weren’t terrible! We would mainly be using it as a means of transportation to get from port to port. Obviously we would want good meals but it’s possible we won’t even be in the main dining room with a baby. I looked at the suites and they were very reasonably priced. I’m going to keep them as an option. We have lots of time to think about it

Ok so this is just my opinion - but MSC has the worst food of any line I've ever cruised. And I come by this honestly because I've cruised MSC 4 times! They used to be the host line for a heavy metal cruise called Shiprocked we used to do. All of us would pack granola bars and crackers to have something to eat. I would drop weight each time I cruised MSC.

Now a coworker did an MSC cruise last November and she didn't seem to have any complaints. So maybe the food has improved. But I'm telling you... it used to be really bad. All that said, MSC does have some of the best European routes and I've looked at them for that.
I haven’t read many reviews but from the ones I read most people liked the buffet and thought the main dining was just okay. I think it will just come down to what we’re willing to pay but also how many points we have by next year. It also will depend on what itineraries are available by the time we’re ready to book.

I have flights I need to cancel that will incur me a fee. I’m an AU on my brothers Amex gold card. Would the fees be covered by the yearly $100 credit? Or would the $200 AA citi credit card sign up bonus work? Been trying to read the fine print and I think both would work but want to be sure before I try! Thanks!
If you are trying to use up your brother's airline credit for him, and he selected the airline that you'll be using, I think it'll work. A cancellation or change fee isn't excluded so if it doesn't post automatically you should be able to chat/call to have it credited.

"Incidental air travel fees charged by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the eligible Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $100 per calendar year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. "
and
"Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. "

AFAIK the $200 statement credit on the Citi card would work on the fees, provided it came directly from AA (not a third party booking or something).

I'm seeing some new Amex Offers this morning:

Universal Studios Hollywood™ (Online) - Spend $100 or more, get $20 back - Get a one-time $20 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to make a single purchase of $100 or more online only at universalstudioshollywood.com by 12/31/2019. See terms for exclusions.

OFFER TERMS
... Offer valid for online purchases only through universalstudioshollywood.com. Not valid for purchases made in-person at theme parks, over the phone, or through third parties, agents, or affiliate sites that link to/from universalstudioshollywood.com. Excludes Halloween Horror Night tickets, group tickets, vacation packages, hotel bookings and ground transportation, and all other Universal theme parks and properties. Offer is non-transferable. Limit of 1 statement credit per Card Member. ...

Fanatics.com - Spend $100 or more, get $15 back - Get a one-time $15 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $100 + in one or more transactions online at fanatics.com by 2/11/2020.

California Pizza Kitchen - Spend $50 or more, get $15 back - Get a one-time $15 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to make a single purchase of $50 or more in-restaurant at California Pizza Kitchen by 12/31/2019.

Saks OFF 5TH - Spend $150 or more, get $30 back - Get a one-time $30 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $150+ in one or more transactions in-store at Saks OFF 5TH or online at saksoff5th.com by 1/13/2020. (Note the personal Platinums' Saks Fifth Avenue credit does not work at Saks Off 5th.)

Saks OFF 5TH - Get +1 Membership Rewards® Point per dollar spent - Get 1 additional Membership Rewards point per dollar spent on eligible purchases made using your enrolled Card in-store at Saks OFF 5TH or online at saksoff5th.com by 1/31/2020.

I'm also seeing Membership Rewards versions of these offers on some cards.

Last edited:
I’m glad you thought they weren’t terrible! We would mainly be using it as a means of transportation to get from port to port. Obviously we would want good meals but it’s possible we won’t even be in the main dining room with a baby. I looked at the suites and they were very reasonably priced. I’m going to keep them as an option. We have lots of time to think about it
Carnival is not in Europe every Summer, but when they launch a new ship they will usually set sail from Europe. The prices and itineraries are usually pretty good, plus you get a new ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter