I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, Marriott restricts points transfers to 100k per year, and charges a $10 fee unless you’re Gold Elite (which is complimentary with the SPG Lux/Bonvoy Brilliant) or higher.

I miss the SPG program, where points transfers were free and unlimited within the same household.

ETA: To be clear, SPG points converted 3:1 to Marriott points last August. The old Marriott Rewards points are the same as the “new” bonbon points. And they can be combined, subject to Marriott’s points transfer restrictions.

Not only that, but don't you have to call Marriott to transfer? SPG was nice because it was all done online. When we needed to combine points from Marriott, I would send the Marriott points to the linked SPG account, and combine on the SPG side, just because it was so much easier.

Oh my goodness, y'all!! My dd18 was approved for the CIP party:

I think it's only fitting since she's got a legit business, that's great! If only I'd have known then what I know now I'd have been taking all the small biz cards AmEx kept trying to push on me when I was a college kid. I thought they were crazy but apparently they knew about side hustles way back when and it was me who was crazy for not taking them up on the offer :laughing:

After a few years of a biz credit profile as well she could probably get just about any card she wants. Good thinking Mom :)

question re: P2's new WoH card..... so I see it's got a member ID on the card, but I can't seem to create an acct online using this at WoH site .... what am I doing wrong? I should have gotten the number myself first and added it to app but I forgot..... so now what-how do I create an acct or try to login when it errors out if I input the printed number on the card along with the email I used to app

Not sure how it works now for all Amex cards..but when DH graduated college in 1982 he opened a Amex card.....he added me as an authorized user around 1995...my card said member since 1982...we closed the account in 2005

Applied for my first Amex card the end of last year and it says member since 82 :confused3
This is true. I didn't know and added myself to DH's really old amex about 6 months ago. It had me as member since 2006 or whatever, but on my CR it listed the open date and went against 5/24. Boo. I was able to remove it from 2 of the CRAs, but am still challenging the 3rd. It hasn't hindered me yet, so I have given it a rest for a bit.

My deposit shows in my PNC account for 1/8 and my first debit card transaction was 1/14, so it must've been about a week or so for me to get it. Still no bonus though.
My deposit shows as 1/16 and my first debit card transaction was 1/24, but I might have waited a day or two to use it. I was able to set up online banking on 1/17 though, long before my debit card came. I haven't gotten any bonus yet either.

Not only that, but don't you have to call Marriott to transfer? SPG was nice because it was all done online. When we needed to combine points from Marriott, I would send the Marriott points to the linked SPG account, and combine on the SPG side, just because it was so much easier.
Yes you do, which irks me to no end!! Dh has 20k points I would love to combine with mine, since I have 350k, and I like to keep them all in one place. But getting him to call, oy!

I set up my dd Discover and the first big deposit has posted, but I cannot transfer it back out. When I go to transfer, there are on discover accounts in the option list to transfer from, only the US Bank account we pulled the money from. Will it show up in a day or two?

PNC..... I opened a checking last week sometime,still no debit card in the mail which is making me crazy b/c I can't set up online without it and thus can't do anything to get to my money yet (and the cc payment is due!!!) is this normal to take so long to get the card????

It did take a week to 10 days before I got mine. Did you setup a PIN during the application? If you did you should be able to create an online account before the debit card arrives. I setup my account a couple days after opening it because my self made PIN got me in.

Costco’s (and I’m sure many others’ now) POS automatically drains the value of a prepaid card down to $0 rather than decline a card for insufficient funds. Makes it easy spending a card with $100, $14.32, $1.09, or whatever, especially since the cards we’re talking about are low denomination $50s and $100s.
I hate it when I have those weird leftover GC balances. I currently have a Disney card with (I think) $1.60 on it. What am I supposed to do with that?

No we wouldn’t take an Uber we would drive our car to the arena and park

Yeah I think we take 80 for part of the way
I google mapped the UC to Nebraska and the route it showed me didn't head south to Joliet. Shows 290 to 88 to 80, heading straight west of Chicago.
How about around Oak Brook for the night after the game? Straight west of the city on your route home. It's a nice area. Some areas of the Joliet area are nice too...some not.
Traffic will be light of course, should be about 30 minutes.

Ok, since it's been so long or maybe never have I carried a balance on purpose, but with the CIC 0%... I just have to make the minimum payment right?
Yep, or you can enter any amount (so long as it's higher than the minimum, of course). I had a particular float amount, so I would pay off any charges about that each month and just leave that balance sit.

I know, I said no cards for a long time for me because I may have taken too much on last year (unless the 100k AMEX plat mailer comes in), BUT, thinking ahead to next year: What is the benefit if I upgrade my CSP to CSR? Is it just point valuation? Can you upgrade to CSR and then ask for a PC to CF if deciding the AF isn't worth it?

For the CSR it's mostly the point valuations but also the other perks. Will you be getting GE or TSA Precheck? There's a $100/$85 credit for that available every 4 years. Would you be traveling through airports that have Priority Pass lounges? You'd get the PP access. Think you might be renting a car? It has car rental insurance protections and gets you some status at some rental programs. So if all you want to do is transfer points to partners, the CSP is great for that. But if you were going to do a large point redemption through Chase travel or could use some of the other perks, then the CSR could work out better. Plus being able to time the $300 travel credit twice before downgrading doesn't hurt :) But yes, you can change it back to a CSP or CF/CFU later when you're done with it.

Editted: I oops-ed on the GE/TSA precheck, I forgot to add the TSA price in there.

Last edited:
Apparently it was considered a state secret on reddit, lol, but here's the write-up by DoC . If you join using the app you won't have to be on the waiting list (at least for now). Until you join you won't know what's available to you, for me the only thing available in my area is 5% back at Office Depot and local restaurants I don't go to (except for one to be fair- but it burned down in a freak fire right before the Holidays so it's obviously not open right now). Kinda crushes my soul my In-N-Out doesn't participate but it's probably better for my waistline...
wow, thank you. I didn't know anything about this. I just signed up and there are lots of good places...target, chickfila, dunkin donuts...I should do well with this.

@Natgridenergy

Yes! You have to call in now!

That’s going to go over so well with DW, who hates calling for this kind of stuff to begin with, then to find out there’s a $10 fee to move her points to mine. Fortunately, I transferred almost all of her points over to my account last August, and she’s sitting on just 10k points. I’m thinking I may just have DW’s points accumulate in her account until we really need them, or at least December of this year.

If Plastiq doesn't work, I usually end up auto draining these at Costco, or using the $100s at BBY+SB.

Nothing to be envious about. We don't earn any gas reward points on VGC/MCGC at Albertsons/Safeway.

have you guys considered trying Serve? Those should drain your VGCs pretty easily... u just need a walmart, family dollar or dollar general in the area to do so.

If I do this, can I combine my wife's SPG points with these "bonbon" points?
there was a trick to get around the restriction where you call marriott, u can book a room with 2 accounts, then when u cancel the booking, it goes into one account. Its ymmv though as i had a friend who also tried it but couldnt get them to do it. He did do a nights and flights though and not a booking.

When I type Bonvoy, I keep making the typo bonboy, which my computer wants to autocorrect to bonbon.

Did anyone in marketing even think about this before rebranding?!

And what the heck would a bonboy be, anyway? Good boy?

All I think of every time is Bon voyage...as In...see ya Marriott. Ironically, that is pretty much how I feel about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter