I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:
You guys, I did it! I booked our flights to Sydney!!
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

This morning while doing my usual United availability
stalking, I saw 2 seats for the almost perfect flight----J leg on Air Canada from EWR to Vancouver, 2.5 hour layover, and J leg to Sydney. I couldn't believe my eyes! And it's on my dh's birthday :love:

I had enough URs in my account so I just needed to do the transfer to United.

Now to just get us home on one of our preferred two days :goodvibes

Ooh! Congrats on getting what you wanted!!! Is the main flight on United? And if so, how many miles did you need? Curious since DH still wants to visit there.

Did your dd do the discover cc first or straight to the cfu?

No Discover card at all. She did have a Visa from the CU she banks at since she's had that one for several years (with a ridiculously low credit line so she really couldn't use it but she was working part time when she applied for it). She also was a (real, not for the SUB) AU on DH's platinum and Disney Visa cards for years.

I had a note on my calendar to apply for the Barclay Arrival CC this month. Went to do it online today only to find the deal is DEAD. From my springtime reading on "points to neverland" site, the value of the sign up when redeemed for travel was ~$700. Punch in the gut to miss out on that!
Anything comparible out there presently?

If you give your stats (from post 1) you will get more detailed advice! In general Chase cards can be used as travel erasers by requesting cash out or a statement credit. They earn higher value when booking via the Chase portal depending on the card (up to 1.5x). Unfortunately Barclays cancelled the Arrival+ back in June. Capital One Venture is the same concept of a travel eraser as Arrival+ but they pull all 3 credit bureaus and its only got a 50,000pt sign up bonus right now. If you tell us what you have open and when it was opened (Month/Year) and your travel goals we can give better advice and possible specific card reqs.

No Discover card at all. She did have a Visa from the CU she banks at since she's had that one for several years (with a ridiculously low credit line so she really couldn't use it but she was working part time when she applied for it). She also was a (real, not for the SUB) AU on DH's platinum and Disney Visa cards for years.

That's a little odd that she'd get a denial with a year of her own credit history. I learned with my kids that being an AU on my cards might help boost their credit scores, but Chase (perhaps among others) does not count being an AU as having credit history. Have you checked her credit reports to make sure the CU Visa is showing up?

Ooh! Congrats on getting what you wanted!!! Is the main flight on United? And if so, how many miles did you need? Curious since DH still wants to visit there.
United availability has been cruddy. I don't know if the flights are being loaded in the middle of the night before I can catch them or if no seats for points are being released at all. I can only see United options on August 11 and July 28---I just booked for Sept 1 and the schedule shows flights bookable on Sept 8.

We're flying Air Canada from Newark to Vancouver and then to Sydney for 90k per person. The entire trip is 24 hours, yikes, but much shorter than almost everything possible from PHL. We had decided last night to try for either this flight w both legs in J or for a particular flight from PHL (that I've only seen available twice lol), with the default choice of this flight with only one leg in J (that option shows up on almost all Tuesdays).

We only had UR to book with so I focused on United and partners.

That's a little odd that she'd get a denial with a year of her own credit history. I learned with my kids that being an AU on my cards might help boost their credit scores, but Chase (perhaps among others) does not count being an AU as having credit history. Have you checked her credit reports to make sure the CU Visa is showing up?

My DD isn't the one who was denied. I think you have me mixed up with another poster. She's been approved for the 2 cards she applied for. ;)

United availability has been cruddy. I don't know if the flights are being loaded in the middle of the night before I can catch them or if no seats for points are being released at all. I can only see United options on August 11 and July 28---I just booked for Sept 1 and the schedule shows flights bookable on Sept 8.

We're flying Air Canada from Newark to Vancouver and then to Sydney for 90k per person. The entire trip is 24 hours, yikes, but much shorter than almost everything possible from PHL. We had decided last night to try for either this flight w both legs in J or for a particular flight from PHL (that I've only seen available twice lol), with the default choice of this flight with only one leg in J (that option shows up on almost all Tuesdays).

We only had UR to book with so I focused on United and partners.

Ah ok, thank you. I didn't think United was easy, which is why I wasn't sure which airline you were using. We're trying to build up the URs and the MRs so we will have options, but I know that those flights are tough. I think it's around 15 hrs for us, but then Europe tends to be 12 hrs plus another 2 hours to get to wherever it is we are going, so not really any worse. I'm so happy that you found the seats! I know just how great it feels!

If you give your stats (from post 1) you will get more detailed advice! In general Chase cards can be used as travel erasers by requesting cash out or a statement credit. They earn higher value when booking via the Chase portal depending on the card (up to 1.5x). Unfortunately Barclays cancelled the Arrival+ back in June. Capital One Venture is the same concept of a travel eraser as Arrival+ but they pull all 3 credit bureaus and its only got a 50,000pt sign up bonus right now. If you tell us what you have open and when it was opened (Month/Year) and your travel goals we can give better advice and possible specific card reqs.

I haven't formally checked my sign-ups but by memory, I haven't gotten any new CC in the past 24 mo, except for my Citi AAdvantage Bus., this past spring. Credit score hovers between 805-835. Spend about $2500-3k each month on cc (includes all household bills that don't charge a fee for cc use). Pay off balance each month.
Fly out of PHL (southwest services) but also close to Trenton/Mercer. Have 2 Southwest cc (a plus and a premier). Enrolled in hotel memberships (Hilton, Marriott, etc) but don't have enough points worth mentioning. I have an active Southwest RR acct with about 60k points currently and AAdvantage acct with about the same # of points.
Goal is to sock away $ for our Fall 2020 WDW trip. I have a DLR/SoCal trip this month but it's already paid for. Flying SW PHL to BUR (all points) and American from SNA to PHL (all points)
Travel party varies. DH and I and anywhere from 1-3 of our 4 adult kids.
I hope that covers it. TIA

Anyone have any AA card tips? I've always avoided the cards because JFK was too far from me. But now it's closer and flights tend to be cheaper. I know of some methods but I've never had any AA cards at all (or Citi or Barclays) so wondering where to start. Thinking of the Citi AA business because I like keeping my credit report clean(er) and I do have a dog sitting side hustle.

Thanks for these points! I've been to AK myself, many moons ago, on a hiking and backpacking trip. I would love to spend time in Denali and other inland areas. Not sure of this will be that trip though. Budget, scheduling and kids ages are at play, and we are just excited the kids are old enough to explore beyond Disney and beach house rentals!!!
We did DCL to Alaska last summer. If you have UR points, check the UR portal for excursions. We booked excursions through them (though did cancel one last minute and booked a Disney one). We did a great excursion to the Yukon from Skagway with Chilkoot Charters.

Thanks for these points! I've been to AK myself, many moons ago, on a hiking and backpacking trip. I would love to spend time in Denali and other inland areas. Not sure of this will be that trip though. Budget, scheduling and kids ages are at play, and we are just excited the kids are old enough to explore beyond Disney and beach house rentals!!!
We did DCL to Alaska last summer. If you have UR points, check the UR portal for excursions. We booked excursions through them (though did cancel one last minute and booked a Disney one). We did a great excursion to the Yukon from Skagway with Chilkoot Charters.
So... bad news: DW gets her arm run over by her car last week before the car drove itself in reverse until it hit a tree (she was backing out of a friends driveway and hit a kid's bike and forgot to put the car in park before getting out). miraculous news: She went to an orthopedic doctor yesterday and is expected to have a full recover within about 6 weeks. silver lining: car needs $6k in auto body repairs that I can pay with cards after the insurance company sends me the check. I posted a couple of days ago that I was stressing about meeting 13k in 5 months and thought I'd end up paying plastiq and venmo fees. The circumstances really stink but the timing of this freak accident couldn't have been better.
A certain Biz card is arriving today and P2 was approved for SW Biz Performance yesterday. Looking forward to another exciting CP season with you folks. @3 DD love princesses looks like we're on the same schedule.
I’m glad your wife is ok. What a crazy thing to happen and good for you for seeing the silver lining. Hope your wife isn’t in too much pain.

Our very own @Lain has put some effort into the Advances Strategies Discussion Thread on DISchurners. As a reminder - any of the items discussed there should be kept relatively hush here on the main thread. If you're looking for guidance on those strategies, reply on that DISchurners thread and somebody will surely be along to help you!

Thanks @Lain for all the effort you put into making DISchurners an awesome repository of information for our group of churners!!

Just saw my Hilton biz get delivered through my Simplisafe doorbell :D I’ll be breaking it in tonight to book our last two nights for our January Disney trip.

We also decided to just go ahead and book the Hotel Monteleone since it is just two blocks from the wedding reception. Thank you @gottalovepluto for encouraging me to make life easy for myself. I think I need that reminder tattooed on my forehead! We used literally every single UR point we had but once I read more about how many famous authors have stayed there I decided we had to try it out. So excited for our trip!

I haven't formally checked my sign-ups but by memory, I haven't gotten any new CC in the past 24 mo, except for my Citi AAdvantage Bus., this past spring. Credit score hovers between 805-835. Spend about $2500-3k each month on cc (includes all household bills that don't charge a fee for cc use). Pay off balance each month.
Fly out of PHL (southwest services) but also close to Trenton/Mercer. Have 2 Southwest cc (a plus and a premier). Enrolled in hotel memberships (Hilton, Marriott, etc) but don't have enough points worth mentioning. I have an active Southwest RR acct with about 60k points currently and AAdvantage acct with about the same # of points.
Goal is to sock away $ for our Fall 2020 WDW trip. I have a DLR/SoCal trip this month but it's already paid for. Flying SW PHL to BUR (all points) and American from SNA to PHL (all points)
Travel party varies. DH and I and anywhere from 1-3 of our 4 adult kids.
I hope that covers it. TIA

looks like you could benefit from opening up Chase cards...and earning URs...since they can be cashed out or transfers to travel partners like SW

.the Chase Ink Preferred CIP has the highest sign up bonus 80k URs after spending $5k the first three months...if you opened one...and sent your DH a support link....you would earn 190k URs from those two cards

Last edited:
FYI: Chase Support points appear to have posted for the week. A little earlier than normal (I believe the usual had been more like 6pm eastern). If you were expecting some this week and they aren't there, perhaps check back one more time tomorrow morning in case they roll out in waves.

EDIT: I'm sure nobody gets these points each week so if you're checking on a Tuesday and see they've posted, please share with the group so others know. It's always nice! And with lots of cross-support going on right now it seems that somebody here is probably waiting on some each week!

I hadn't even thought to check yet. Mine are pending! Supported P2 a week ago. Cards came yesterday too. Woot!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter