• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a weirdly specific question. I was looking at the Shake Shack Amex gold credit, and it said that it was inapplicable for Shake Shack locations in airports. Does anyone know if locations in tran stations count? Apparently there is a Shake Shack in Union Station in DC. @striker1064 - am I remembering you correctly as a DC guy who uses Amtrak? Any experience with this. I've got $10 potentially at stake, so clearly its an important question 😋.

Can't answer the amex question but I've eaten at that shake shack. It was busy but most of the places in US are. It's kind of a big food hall and there are shops then the train station. So a lit of people that work in the area eat there. I see it more mall like than train station but that's just me. Beautiful building.

See I don’t really want to buy the curriculum. I highly doubt dh would be on board if we have to buy the materials ourselves. He’s already not 100% on board
I have spent less than $150 on everything for this year and $80ish of that was registering with an umbrella school, which I chose to do to avoid state testing. If you removed that piece of it, you'd be under $100. My total costs also included basic school supplies that you'd buy anyways. ETA: And don't forget school fees...$75 this year for DS11 in public school.

Last edited:
Is there an overarching website that covers what each state offers or requires? We have a charter school near us but it’s a public charter school. It’s pretty confusing. I guess I’m most confused about how they check you’re teaching what needs to be taught.
In Tn, they don't check. Well, if you register with the district, I guess they'd get a good idea of it with state testing that is required in grades 5, 7, 9...but how good of an indicator is state testing anyways? Don't get me started on that. hahaha. Even registering with the district you just list your subjects and turn in attendance. You don't have to teach any specific thing.
If you register with an umbrella, each one has different requirements. Most just want a list of subjects, grade at end of the year (I'm not doing grades, just S and U until middle school) and attendance entered twice a year. Again, they don't care what you teach within reason. There is an entire movement for unschooling. Look that up. It isn't what I do, but it is out there.
My kiddo gets a lot more info in a lot less time. Today we headed to the ice rink for some open stick time at noon because we were finished with school for the day. He still fit in before we left: ELA, Spanish, typing, math facts practice, Math lesson, Culinary Arts, History, Reading Comprehension, reading his book of choice, critical thinking activity, and art. He wouldn't have completed half of that at school and would be doing homework now instead of heading to the pool.435043

Last edited:
When they roll these promos out sometimes people get targeted later on in the month. Last month some people got an e-mail the last week of the month with just a few days left. I guess it depends on how desperate Plastiq gets.
I haven't gotten the one for this month yet. Good to know there is still a chance!

Can't answer the amex question but I've eaten at that shake shack. It was busy but most of the places in US are. It's kind of a big food hall and there are shops then the train station. So a lit of people that work in the area eat there. I see it more mall like than train station but that's just me. Beautiful building.

This is correct. I've eaten at a couple of places there but not at that Shake Shack. Metro comes in there so it's a pretty popular area being a local historical landmark. Plus it's a hop and skip over to the Capitol, Library of Congress, the Mall, etc. I'd be willing to bet it would credit, but if I were going Downtown, I wouldn't be looking for a Shake Shack, even with a credit. Since I have the same credit every month, I understand the motivation to utilize it though.

What does it mean when calling the application status line, and after following the instructions instead of an automatic message saying what the status is, it tells you to please stay on the line for a representative? I hung up (both times) because I'm a weenie and wasn't prepared to speak to a human being about my Disney card application. I mean, I pretty much assume I'm denied and know exactly why, but as I said in an earlier post, I've yet to receive any written notification of a decision in the mail, even though I applied a month ago and both calls into the status line previously have given me the 7-10 day message.

I guess I'll probably call back and talk to the human, but this is weird. Any thoughts?

What does it mean when calling the application status line, and after following the instructions instead of an automatic message saying what the status is, it tells you to please stay on the line for a representative? I hung up (both times) because I'm a weenie and wasn't prepared to speak to a human being about my Disney card application. I mean, I pretty much assume I'm denied and know exactly why, but as I said in an earlier post, I've yet to receive any written notification of a decision in the mail, even though I applied a month ago and both calls into the status line previously have given me the 7-10 day message.

I guess I'll probably call back and talk to the human, but this is weird. Any thoughts?
After 30 days Chase does not have your application on file anymore....

In Tn, they don't check. Well, if you register with the district, I guess they'd get a good idea of it with state testing that is required in grades 5, 7, 9...but how good of an indicator is state testing anyways? Don't get me started on that. hahaha. Even registering with the district you just list your subjects and turn in attendance. You don't have to teach any specific thing.
If you register with an umbrella, each one has different requirements. Most just want a list of subjects, grade at end of the year (I'm not doing grades, just S and U until middle school) and attendance entered twice a year. Again, they don't care what you teach within reason. There is an entire movement for unschooling. Look that up. It isn't what I do, but it is out there.
My kiddo gets a lot more info in a lot less time. Today we headed to the ice rink for some open stick time at noon because we were finished with school for the day. He still fit in before we left: ELA, Spanish, typing, math facts practice, Math lesson, Culinary Arts, History, Reading Comprehension, reading his book of choice, critical thinking activity, and art. He wouldn't have completed half of that at school and would be doing homework now instead of heading to the pool.View attachment 435043
Love the picture of your son....miss watching my kids play...but don’t miss our weekends etc tied up from September to April

One of my DDs just started her first year as a full time teacher this fall. My other DD is in grad school working on her master’s in education. I never considered homeschooling any of my kids, but that was more because I wouldn’t have been confident in doing it myself. Still, I am very proud of them for both going into the field of education.

Not the best deal we see around here, but I wonder if there is any value to someone like me who doesn't have ANY AmEx cards?
Maybe this will give me some of the offers y'all talk about, or not because it's a branded card?
Would it hurt my chances of finding a Platicorn (should I ever develop the need for one)?
The reward categories are no better than I have with various existing cards.

ETA I'll be 2/24 next month, so I don't think that's a factor for me

View attachment 434849
I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it but the Serve cards a bunch of us are using actually have AMEX offers on them.

Okay I need someone to check this for me. I’m watching friends and I’m on S10E9. At 6:15 ish-6:30 is that not the music from the tower of terror ride....???
I didn't pull the episode up, but were they watching the Twilight Zone?

Thanks everyone for your replies for my homeowner’s insurance inquiry. After many calls and online quotes, I ended up with Traveler’s for a very reasonable price (less than my current insurer) for the same amount of coverage. They asked what I was currently paying and then beat it. Of course, they don’t take AmEx (working on DH’s Hilton MSR) and my new CIP hasn’t arrived so it went on the Arrival + for 2 points. I guess I could have waited for the CIP but I just wanted it done since work is busy and I need to check things off of my personal to do list.

And I am down to only $400 remaining in VGCs since I liquidated $800 at 3 Dollar Generals and a Family Dollar today. I pretty sure the clerks have no idea about the VGCs. I was thinking of trying $400 at just one DG tomorrow. When you do that do you just ask for $400 and then one swipe for $200 and then next card swipe for $200 or do you request two transactions of $200 each?

I hung up on a human twice when I called in before I got the automated response. For me, I think it was focusing too much on pressing the numbers instead of listening to the actual instructions. So third time was the charm, as I followed the phone instructions and listened all the way through and I had a different set of choices.

Another DISchurners Tip:
For those of you that use a DIFFERENT name on Reddit than here: Make your "flair" on Reddit your DISboards name for the DISchurners subreddit. (I totally stole this idea from @gottalovepluto :D

To do that:
1) Go to the DISchurners main page (I know how to do this best on OLD reddit FYI) so you can do that from here: https://old.reddit.com/r/DISchurners/
2) Look on the right for where it mentions flair. It will say this: Show my flair on this subreddit. It looks like
3) Beside your name click EDIT
4) Then click your username when it pops up
5) Then type in your DISboards name and click save
6) Make sure the checkbox to "Show my flair" is checked

Now when you say something on DISchurners, your reddit name will appear right there. You should see it appear on all of your old comments immediately too! If you need help with this, let me know!

EDIT: And you can also put other fun things in your flair too if you want. I just shared this for people who are using different names to make it easier to tell who is who :)
I feel like a terrible millennial, but I think I added my "flair!" Is there a thread we could test it out on? I don't want to randomly clutter actual discussions 🤣

I love the different views and experiences in here. We don’t homeschool because I work full time, I’m not cut out for it (major high fives to all the parents who can handle it) and we want our kids to have a religious-backed education. This year, I did switch my youngest to a school that uses the Reggio Emilia philosophy which focuses much more on free learning, projects, and Nature. He loves to play in the rain :). Public school didn’t work for him although it was great for the others through elementary school. All that said, if I had discovered Social media 5 years earlier, I think i could have convinced my husband to take a couple of years when the kids were younger and do “road schooling” both in an RV at home and foreign.
I am with you 100%. Between working full-time and butting heads with DS just over homework, there is no way. I am pretty sure DS and I would have a horrible relationship if I had tried. He had asked several times in elementary school but nope, not happening. While I am not loving paying private school tuition, I am glad we have the means to give DS this opportunity. (Even if he doesn’t quite see it as an opportunity.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter