• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you ever get your son's schooling figured out?
We’re working on it. The life coach is on hold for the moment (long story) and we are just working with a math tutor and a French tutor. My ex has been on the west coast since school started but I think I have a manageable routine going. I’ll meet with him this weekend to see if we can get consistency between the houses. My son did decide last week he wanted to play football so he’s not done until 6:30 every night which is making for long days since his sister swims at 4:45 am and when he gets home I study with him and help him with homework. I do have a meeting scheduled with his school for next week but I think I will push it out until we see better how he’s doing. But so far, so good. He seems to like his teachers. Not in a ton of classes with his friends and he’s in a few classes with a lot of older kids but maybe that will keep him out of trouble. Thanks for asking!

I like the JetBlue+ card for SUB, free bags and 10% points rebate on reward bookings - but it is lousy for everyday spend. I keep it as the $99 annual fee is mostly offset by the 5000 anniversary miles.

Just wondering if anyone has an idea when JB will start offering flights into May. Looking to book for Los Angeles area. Also when do most book for upcoming May travel? Now or wait a bit. Thanks

so helpful topic!
Agreed, I've been looking for information like this that is Disney specific.
We have the RED pill here on this thread...

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

So I guess we might be using some chase points after all. We decided we’re gonna fly in October to see my brother, his wife, and their two little boys. We haven’t seen them since last Christmas. We will be flying with allegiant and the flight is only an hour and a half. On allegiant’s website the flight is showing as $30 each way! That’s so cheap! It would only be for a weekend but it’s better than nothing. I think we’re gonna call chase tonight and see what they quote us at for points. I’m guessing it’ll be better than booking through allegiant even though we don’t have the CSR anymore (still have a CIP).

maybe I can get some value out of amex offers?
My Bonblah biz has the best Amex offers. In the first year I saved $322 in offers, year 2 so far I'm at $281.

@Andysol if you don’t mind my asking do you homeschool? Just curious with your travel schedule! My parents took us all around the world growing up but they just pulled us from public school a ton haha We are considering homeschool but I have a hard time finding people who do it for non-religious reasons (NO offense to anyone who does that! Just wouldn’t be our reasoning.)

Maybe @wendow also does it? I’d love to hear from those of you that do. Is there a thread for that?
We homeschool for non-religious reasons. My DD1 did public school through grade 2 and DS1 through K. Those two have successfully graduated. DD1 graduated Texas A&M with no issues (makes me feel good, i didn't fail her lol). I'm now finishing up the younger two who have never been inside a public school.

I love the freedom to travel when I want (aside from travel sports). Felt so restricted while DD1 was in college.

Workplace violence is never the answer...
giphy.gif

I finally got a new copier when I threatened to have the guys drop the one that kept breaking from the forklift. Not sure if it was because he knew I'd do it or if he knew there were plenty of guys that would be willing to do it. So what had been a months issue was finally settled within a month with a nice new leased copier :jumping1: And yes if we could have gotten away with it we'd have dropped it from a forklift out back :badpc:

@orangecuse We are homeschoolers too! I've homeschooled my kids from the beginning and my oldest is 19yo now and a sophomore in college. I am still actively schooling three but once mine hit high school, I farm a lot out to co-ops or community college. It has been a beautiful thing, not just for our family, but certainly a benefit in traveling when the masses are in school. It's hard now with older kids who are in college and work. I miss the old days of just little ones with very few commitments.

Feel free to pm me if you ever have questions. There are lots of us just here on this thread which just shows you how many people are doing this now! We have more social opportunities than we can possibly fit in a day so my kids have never struggled with social skills or learning how to function in society :)

That is so refreshing to hear! I was totally against homeschooling but now that my 12 yr old is surrounded by some pretty crappy attitude boys (and its a small town, so 6 or 7 crappy boys makes a big difference), we're starting to think about how we may make it work starting next year in 7th grade. The only person I know who does it is his preschool teacher so was the most amazing teacher EVER. She lives 10 min away and home schools her 5th grade son and 8th grade daughter and they do AMAZING things. BUT, I work 4 days a week......so I'm really trying to figure out how this will work. He also plays sports, and will still have to play with those mean boys who tells him he sucks. I want to have a 100% decision made by Christmas. The temptation of him being able to start taking college courses free starting in 7th grade is REALLY winning me over though!

I remember when I was little everyone always thought the homeschooled kids were "weird," but things have really changed a lot. By the time I hit high school, I knew a lot of kids my age who were homeschooled because we were all showing horses together. The kids who really did it big time usually did school through online academies. My mom just pulled me out of public school whenever I had a show lol. We still don't want kids, but I would probably want to homeschool too... moreso to facilitate the full time horse showing :rotfl:
I would have to admit, I was one of “those parents” who just pulled my daughter out of school for the horse shows.
Last year DGD missed a fair amount of school for travel. The principal called my DD and mentioned something about “educational neglect”. DD pointed out DGD was testing in the third grade level while in kindergarten. She also mentioned that if it was to much of a problem we would just need to look at the private school.

I agree! As parents of kids between 19-25, we were the “bad guys” who didn’t get our kids cell phones right away. My older two had track phones in HS and that was strictly like you said to text or call for a ride after sports or meetings. Our youngest got his first iPhone at 16 and he was literally the last in his grade to get one.
I'm one of those parents. I think we had the hardest time in which to raise kids. There was no past to pull from on all of this internet stuff. We had to, and in many cases still do, figure out as we went. At least now I can look at how I handled it with my older two and apply it to my younger two as a base on which to parent. It's as much of a new frontier this time around.

As a public HS teacher, I'm anti-home schooling, LOL. That said, when I have the chance to retire in 4 years, I may be more all for it for DS to do it. Though it'll be his last 2 years of HS, so I doubt he'd want to.
You'd be surprised at the amount of homeschoolers that are former teachers. My final shove came from my DD1's second grade teacher who told me if she wasn't so connected to the other teachers, she'd homeschool her own kids. She only felt comfortable with them in the school because she knew the other teachers. I'm ever thankful she confided in me. I was in her classroom every single day volunteering.

I finally got a new copier when I threatened to have the guys drop the one that kept breaking from the forklift. Not sure if it was because he knew I'd do it or if he knew there were plenty of guys that would be willing to do it. So what had been a months issue was finally settled within a month with a nice new leased copier :jumping1: And yes if we could have gotten away with it we'd have dropped it from a forklift out back :badpc:

Totally get it. I've been threatening to accidentally break mine at work for a while now. But of course, the government can't just get me another one... a study has to be done first :sad2:

I would have to admit, I was one of “those parents” who just pulled my daughter out of school for the horse shows.
Last year DGD missed a fair amount of school for travel. The principal called my DD and mentioned something about “educational neglect”. DD pointed out DGD was testing in the third grade level while in kindergarten. She also mentioned that if it was to much of a problem we would just need to look at the private school.

My mom pulled me out of school too... no shame from me. I completely recognize the value of being in school and I am thankful for the education I received. But when I'm making straight As and graduate top 20 in my class, I don't think I'm the person you should be worried about for truancy lol. And considering the life lessons I've learned from horses and the fact that I'm still involved in it, I definitely don't have any regrets.

I struggle with patience in this game sometimes. I have a Citi AA biz card that I'm looking to hit my MSR on through a Plastiq payment to my Home Equity Loan. My statement won't close until early October so there's no sense in doing the payment now. I know that Plastiq might come out with some 1% promo so by waiting I could possibly save 1.5% off the normal 2.5% fee yet part of me still wants to just pull the trigger on the payment NOW!! Haha! #ChurnerProblems, am I right? :lmao:

Speaking of giving kids phones. My 11-year old just started middle school and she walks to and from, so we gave her my old iphone 5, just last week (with LOTS of restrictions on it, including no social media).

It now has a completely cracked screen. Bringing it back to credit cards, CIP phone insurance doesn't cover cracked screens does it?

One thing I learned.... find a REAL person agent to work with. I did by accident a couple of years back... she has since found me the best coverage for our specific needs ,and has found rates with her company that I couldn't find myself online with any company.
Thanks! I started looking around today since my current policy expires on 9/30. Nothing like waiting until the last minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter