I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our two cats track litter everywhere -- I just assumed that was a cat thing. I am about to try to switch them to the Tidy Cat pellet system. I've mixed some of the pellets in with their litter and so far they are fine with it.

My daughter has three cats and one of them literally throws litter out of the pan when he is camouflaging his poo. He's about 17 pounds and is so strong! Messy messy messy. My cats are less fastidious and do a couple of lackluster swipes and leave.

Ours came out for discussion dec/jan and now the 'draft' is up. It will be solid in a couple of weeks but the draft indicates the week prior to Easter as spring break. We always have it by March.

Our governor - Larry Hogan - messed with our whole state's school calendar. No school until after Labor Day. Someone is trying to reverse that and I'm sure if next election comes, it will be reversed or at least relaxed. The biggest impact was that everything had to be squeezed in between Labor Day and early June, so all the planning days got shorted and became early dismissal instead of full days off. Before retirement, I hated this change, as the 'no school' days were my catch up days at work. And the early dismissal days were still full days for me with more work added in. I ended up doing much more overtime because of it, which was great for cashflow but I preferred time off.

At one time we had a whole week at Thanksgiving which was phenomenal! Loved it! Now it's just 3 days. It gets hot here and school going later impacts a few schools that are still not completely ac'd. Some school buses are also not ac'ed - about half the fleet - but each year that number gets smaller. School not only gets canceled for snow here, it has also gotten canceled for heat. But as the buildings and vehicles get upgraded, that is becoming fairly rare.
MD schools can ask to be exempt. We get a waiver at our school. kids start second week of Aug and get out mid June. We get a fall break and a few three day weekends.

That's one on his list. I was just looking at times, it looks like it's only open April through November, plus the Christmas thing. Another one doesn't open until March, one is weekends starting mid-February, and one is open year round. I was kind of hoping to plan this trip before my Marriott Plat status expired since I'll probably never have it again, but as long as the hotels are free that's most important :)

No Tivoli Gardens? We visited last August since we were already in Copenhagen for our cruise, but I was just watching the Walt biography on Netflix and it reminded me that Tivoli was part of the inspiration for Disneyland.

Hi, everyone! I’m looking for a little advice, and it looks like y’all might have some good info. I’m trying to decide whether to go for one of the SW cards today to get the companion pass good until the end of this year.

My recent cards:
12/17 - BoA BankAmericard
12/18 - Chase Sapphire Preferred

Husband’s recent cards:
04/18 - AmEx Hilton
05/18 - Chase Marriott
09/18 - Chase Hyatt
09/18 - Discover It

We’re over halfway done putting the minimum spend on the CSP and have a lot of expenses coming up in the next few months (new tires, insurance, etc), so I think we’ll be able to make the $4k spend requirement before the deadline.

We don’t pay interest but do have a couple of 0% cards with balances at the moment. We generally fly AA out of our closest airport or SW out of one about an hour away. I have the AAdvantage card. We have credit cards/hotel rewards with Hyatt, Hilton, and Marriott/SPG. It’s just my husband and myself, and one of our goals is to visit all the states (over halfway there).

I’m somewhat concerned about being approved considering the CSP was only 5 weeks ago, and Chase is always changing their rules so that it’s hard to keep up. The CSP wasn’t an automatic approval, but I also didn’t have to call in about it. The card arrived about a week and a half later.

Any suggestions/advice for us? Between the two of us we have about as many cards as I’d like to keep up with, but this companion pass seemed like something we might be able to use a good bit in the second half of this year (looking at Reno and Seattle to visit family, Orlando (of course), and considering visiting new states over long weekends (Iowa/Nebraska, maybe more). We have some hotel points and annual nights available, and I should have access to more points/miles with the CSP bonus to have some nice little getaways. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something, so I wanted to run this by people who know more than I do. Thanks!

Ok one more trip insurance question, if anyone can help. Since we are using SW points for flights, does it sound like we are screwed for trip interruption...? For one policy Trip Interruption seems to say they will reimburse for airfare less the value of applied credit from unused ticket. Well, we wouldn't have a credit from the unused ticket.

Or maybe one like this would cover us?
TRIP INTERRUPTION BENEFIT

If your arrival on your Trip is delayed beyond your Scheduled Departure Date, or if you are unable to continue the Trip due to one of the unforeseeable Covered Events listed below that occur during your Trip dates to you or your Traveling Companion, we will reimburse you for the unused, non-refundable land or water arrangements prepaid to the Travel Supplier prior to departing on your Trip, less any refunds paid or payable, plus one of the following:

b. Additional transportation expenses incurred for you to reach the final return destination of your Trip; or

Or this?
TRIP INTERRUPTION

Benefits will be paid, up to the lesser of a) the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Confirmation of Benefits; or b) 100% of the total amount of coverage You purchased, to reimburse You for the Prepaid Payments for unused non-refundable Travel Arrangements plus the Additional Transportation Cost paid:
a) to join Your Trip if You must depart after Your Scheduled Departure Date or travel via alternate travel arrangements by the most direct route possible to reach Your Trip destination (Airfare limited to the cost of one-way airfare using the same class of fare as the original travel ticket); or
b) to rejoin Your Trip or transport You to Your originally scheduled return destination, if You must interrupt Your Trip after departure, each by the most direct route possible. (Airfare limited to the cost of one-way airfare using the same class of fare as the original travel ticket)

I'll probably try some phone calls tomorrow, but thought I'd see if anyone had any insight.
When we made a claim with trip insurance and had paid for flights with points, the insurance paid the fee to redeposit miles, which I think was around $150.

Hi, everyone! I’m looking for a little advice, and it looks like y’all might have some good info. I’m trying to decide whether to go for one of the SW cards today to get the companion pass good until the end of this year.

My recent cards:

Husband’s recent cards:
04/18 - AmEx Hilton
05/18 - Chase Marriott
09/18 - Chase Hyatt
09/18 - Discover It

We’re over halfway done putting the minimum spend on the CSP and have a lot of expenses coming up in the next few months (new tires, insurance, etc), so I think we’ll be able to make the $4k spend requirement before the deadline.

We don’t pay interest but do have a couple of 0% cards with balances at the moment. We generally fly AA out of our closest airport or SW out of one about an hour away. I have the AAdvantage card. We have credit cards/hotel rewards with Hyatt, Hilton, and Marriott/SPG. It’s just my husband and myself, and one of our goals is to visit all the states (over halfway there).

I’m somewhat concerned about being approved considering the CSP was only 5 weeks ago, and Chase is always changing their rules so that it’s hard to keep up. The CSP wasn’t an automatic approval, but I also didn’t have to call in about it. The card arrived about a week and a half later.

Any suggestions/advice for us? Between the two of us we have about as many cards as I’d like to keep up with, but this companion pass seemed like something we might be able to use a good bit in the second half of this year (looking at Reno and Seattle to visit family, Orlando (of course), and considering visiting new states over long weekends (Iowa/Nebraska, maybe more). We have some hotel points and annual nights available, and I should have access to more points/miles with the CSP bonus to have some nice little getaways. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something, so I wanted to run this by people who know more than I do. Thanks!

Hi.....would you consider opening a SW business card..if so you get 60k RR points after a 3k spend then if you use the 50kRR link thanks floating around for one of the personal cards.with a 2k spend ....you’d get the CP for the rest of 2019 and all of 2020

Ha, this is worst thing I think Governor Hogan has done for the state as it had nothing to do with our children’s education but rather trying to get attendance up at the State Fair and Ocean City. Besides Christmas, there is no other time the entire school year in our county, the kids have a week off. Thanksgiving in my county is 2 1/2 days and Spring Break is a whopping Fri and Mon at Easter. And those are the 2 times that they have 2 days off.

We didn’t mind pulling DS out during elementary school but it is much more difficult in middle to miss more than a day or two at max. Being in all honors classes the pace is just so fast for the amount of material they cover and all of the tests.

Definitely looking forward to private school in the fall where they will have actual breaks. DS has already requested that we go back to our Christmas tradition of spending the holiday in Punta Cana and then he’ll have a week in March (or at least it was this year) to plan something. Now to see if I can find their 2019-2020 calendar.

ETA: OMG, just checked they have 3/13-20 which is PERFECT! DS will be 13 on the 13th! Now to find an awesome way to celebrate! And they have off 12/19-1/3 for Christmas break. Sweet 2 weeks! Too bad our CP expires on 12/31 so we’ll have to make it home before DS turns into a pumpkin without it. Or suck it up and purchase a return flight for him.
Wow. Our calendar is full of days off. In the fall, there is Labor Day & Teachers institute in September, both 3 days weekends. In October there is Columbus Day. November has the whole week of Thanksgiving off. December starts Holiday Break which is before Christmas to after NY for 2 weeks. Then in January after returning, there is a 4 day weekend for Institute day and MLK. February has Presidents Day. March has an institute day at the beginning and last week off for Spring Break. April has off Good Friday and Monday after Easter. Plus a half day one Wednesday every month. School year ends May 24. (Well it did until we had 4 snow days, now its May 31)

Hi.....would you consider opening a SW business card..if so you get 60k RR points after a 3k spend then if you use the 50kRR link thanks floating around for one of the personal cards.with a 2k spend ....you’d get the CP for the rest of 2019 and all of 2020
Oh, that sounds interesting. I've never applied for a business card, though. Not really sure about that? Maybe I need to pick up some freelancing to justify it. Are those more or less the standard bonuses?

The Monday after Easter Sunday is somehow state mandated so the school honors it here. Then Good Friday gets put in for religious observances. I've never seen school on either of these days here.

I've been surprised that they do not give Good Friday here but I guess then they would need to give days off for other religions. AFAIK, our public schools give no religious holidays off, including the Jewish holidays. My dh even works for a Christian organization and they don't even close on Good Friday o_O That's just weird!

Oh, that sounds interesting. I've never applied for a business card, though. Not really sure about that? Maybe I need to pick up some freelancing to justify it. Are those more or less the standard bonuses?

The 60K has been around a while on the SW business....if your going to apply you use your name and SS number as the business name and EIN.....the 50k per personal offer is suppose to be in flight...but there are links floating around in this thread and in our dischurchers group on reddit...if you’d like to join pm @SouthFayetteFan, @Lain or @Albort for help

My recent cards:

Husband’s recent cards:
04/18 - AmEx Hilton
05/18 - Chase Marriott
09/18 - Chase Hyatt
09/18 - Discover It

We have largely been down on this 30k SW pts + Companion pass (CP) offer. It’s a decent offer for what we call “non-churners” but for those of us playing the game hardcore it leaves a lot to be desired. Side note: Your husband has an interesting selection of recent cards.

It seems you would get a lot of value out of a CP in 2019. Is that typical of your travel patterns or would you continue to travel like that in 2020? What are the upcoming dates of the next 2-3 trips that you’d like to use the CP on? As mentioned - there are better ways to earn a CP that would include 110k+ RR pts and you’d have your CP for 18-20 months. As long as you don’t have a lot of trips planned for Mar-May I’d really consider going about it that way.

@disneymagicgirl @CyndiLouWho You two talked me into it :laughing:I am going to order a pair of the Asics. I think dd18 is as well. Amazon has them for the same price with free returns. Is there a reason to order from zappos over Amazon?
I get next day delivery free on Zappos. Not sure if that has to do with the rewards thing or not.

ETA: Here is more info

As I was reading through the list I realized one great thing with zappers is 365 day returns. I am currently taking advantage of that with some snow boots I bought dd3. I got them for $55 in November. Just saw this week they were down to $33 so I returned the original pair and ordered them again for cheaper. I will hold onto this pair until I see if they still fit her by early next winter. If not, I will still be able to return them.

Wow. Our calendar is full of days off. In the fall, there is Labor Day & Teachers institute in September, both 3 days weekends. In October there is Columbus Day. November has the whole week of Thanksgiving off. December starts Holiday Break which is before Christmas to after NY for 2 weeks. Then in January after returning, there is a 4 day weekend for Institute day and MLK. February has Presidents Day. March has an institute day at the beginning and last week off for Spring Break. April has off Good Friday and Monday after Easter. Plus a half day one Wednesday every month. School year ends May 24. (Well it did until we had 4 snow days, now its May 31)
We have a bunch of single days and early dismissals but that doesn’t make it as easy to get away. Like when just went to Universal for a long weekend he missed the Thurs at the end of the marking period but it made difficult since teachers were giving exams up until that point plus the snow days didn’t help.

We have largely been down on this 30k SW pts + Companion pass (CP) offer. It’s a decent offer for what we call “non-churners” but for those of us playing the game hardcore it leaves a lot to be desired. Side note: Your husband has an interesting selection of recent cards.

It seems you would get a lot of value out of a CP in 2019. Is that typical of your travel patterns or would you continue to travel like that in 2020? What are the upcoming dates of the next 2-3 trips that you’d like to use the CP on? As mentioned - there are better ways to earn a CP that would include 110k+ RR pts and you’d have your CP for 18-20 months. As long as you don’t have a lot of trips planned for Mar-May I’d really consider going about it that way.
Thanks! We likely won't be going on any trips until May. Already have airfare and hotels lined up for a Yellowstone/Wyoming/Idaho/Montana trip then. I'm not sure where we fall as far as churners or not. We actually churned the SW cards about 7-8 years ago. Pretty much all of the rest of the cards (nearly 20 now) we've seen a good reason to keep at least for a bit (annual fees on hotel cards seem worth it for the annual night). We don't usually fly so much, as we like to road trip, but if we had the pass we'd find reasons to use it. Only in the past year have we been on the 50 state kick. We visited 14/15 states last year, but the only flights were to LAX for Disneyland and Louisville, KY (plus NYC for me). We also stayed for 13 "free" hotel nights last year. We usually like to visit non popular places at non popular times and can get a lot of bang for our hotel points. And yes, we don't always go for the standard cards in the standard order, but it's worked for us so far. Husband signs up for what I tell him to, LOL. I know I'm really late to the game with the CSP, as that's typically one of the first recommendations for most churners...so yeah, not sure whether we'd be considered churners or not, but we like getting free/cheap travel. Otherwise we'd probably just drive and camp. We like that, too.

I get next day delivery free on Zappos. Not sure if that has to do with the rewards thing or not.

ETA: Here is more info

As I was reading through the list I realized one great thing with zappers is 365 day returns. I am currently taking advantage of that with some snow boots I bought dd3. I got them for $55 in November. Just saw this week they were down to $33 so I returned the original pair and ordered them again for cheaper. I will hold onto this pair until I see if they still fit her by early next winter. If not, I will still be able to return them.
That is a really great benefit! Never ordered from zappos but maybe I will now since the price is the same.

$1200 to go on CIC MSR. $970 into Arrival MSR. Booked flights to/from MCO for DH and MIL, and flights to MCO for FIL/Aunt. Had just enough points in DHs account from cc spend, 50k SUB, and misc points from shopping portal/dining/work flights last year. I need about 21k more to book the other two return flights, so I think I'm gonna transfer them in from URs and just count that as towards the ILs flights. My accounting is getting very complicated :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter