I lost my DD!!!!! (*long)!!!!

OK we have no children but we do have two young nieces and one great niece and I would totally freak if I lost any of them anywhere...what a great idea to print out ID cards...I will definitely pass this tip along to my sister in law..

issa-I am so glad your story had a happy ending it definitely brought a tear to my eye.

This can happen in one of the water parks, too. One scary area is the floating lazy rivers, where several children can be hard to keep together with you. We've had close calls there.

We'd always pointed out the red swimsuits and the ID pins of the CMs to all of our children when we entered the water parks. After noticing quite a few red swim trunks on guests, we'd told the kids to identify a woman CM to ask for help if they got lost and to never, ever leave the gate without us.

Our DD was 7 the first time we went to Blizzard Beach and our twin sons were just 5. We all split up for a while as my DH took our DD to the bigger slides and I took our little boys to the Ski Patrol area where the slides are a bit tamer. I asked them to stay together with me and we'd regroup at the bottom of the biggest slide. As a preschooler, David was a fearless child, easily given to wandering or rushing ahead. I'd never lost him before but we'd had our moments. To make matters worse, he is deaf in one ear. If he is turned so that there is noise on his good side while you speak to him from his deaf side, forget it, he doesn't even know you've spoken.

Anyway, he rushed ahead to the slide stairs, all excited. By the time I reached the top, he'd slid down. By the time I slid down, David was gone. Gone completely. Knowing his tendency to wander, I had no idea which way he'd run off or how long it would take him to realize he was lost. I couldn't go to look for him until our other DS had come down the slide and out of the splash pool at the bottom.

In those seconds, the most horrible, panicky, sick feeling swept over me but I had to try and keep calm with Matthew watching. I called out for David, knowing he couldn't hear me with all the music and pool noise. I grabbed Matt's hand and we hurried all around the immediate area looking for him. After a few minutes, I went to a CM lifeguard and told her that I'd just lost my son and he wasn't a strong swimmer. She asked me what he looked like and I just pointed to Matt and said, "like him, but in a red swimsuit!" She radio'd something in and then asked me to go to the First Aid area to make out a report.

Then the tears came. All I could think about was how he'd hated that loaner lifevest we'd made him wear and he might take it off to play in the wave pool or lazy river and now I had to leave the area where he'd last seen me and oh, where was my DH?!?!? When you are thinking these things, the noise of lots of children playing and splashing in the water is LOUD. The CM called for someone to come and take me to First Aid. A pleasant CM arrived quickly and we started to walk off but my mind was racing. Every second was an eternity. At least 10 minutes had passed since David has slid down that slide and out of sight.

We started walking out of the Ski Patrol area and there ahead of us... was David. His face was pale and frightened and he was darting down the path, headed straight for a woman CM in a red suit. I called him but of course he didn't hear me. Matt & I ran to him and we all just huddled crying for a moment.

It took us a few minutes to calm down enough to thank the CM and go back to the slides. After that, Matt & Dave stayed tightly together and I wrestled with fighting back tears for a few more hours. When my DH got back with DD, and I told him what had happened, we all felt so relieved that it had worked out alright. The good thing that came of it was that it was only the second day of our first trip to WDW with the kids. They have always made a big effort to hold hands together with us in any crowds ever since. That was 5 years ago.

WoW Lisa p. your story really hits home. Its true those seconds last an eternity and your mind wanders and fears all the scary possiblities.

I am so glad your story turned out all right...I hadnt even thought of losing a child in a water park and all the risks assc. with it.

I think its amazing how we all as parents get tired and overworked...and just dream of just 5 mins alone, but when our child is missing you' d give anything to have them buggin you for somthing..ANYTHING as long as they are there...really puts things into focus

He came up to me crying and I figured he was lost. I explained the CM's could put the word out and would find his dad. I then turned him over to a CM. My son saw a lot of kids with halter leashes and wrist leashes. He said he thought it was cruel. I tried to explain how difficult it was to keep up with kids in a crowd and how some kids just don't stay close by. I thought it was much more humane to have them leashed than to chance them coming to harm (which can even happen at WDW). After witnessing how upset the young lost boy was, he figured it might be a reasonable solution. Since my son's now 14 I'm finished with the wandering off part but I'm gearing up for the 'late returns when driving' fiasco. :)

Carolyn

....at the Disneyland Hotel last week. I had called for the elevator to come to the 11th floor, and when the doors opened, out walked a little girl (age five) all alone and sobbing ike crazy. I said: "Are you lost?" and she said that she was looking for her daddy and her baby sister. I took her into the concierge lounge where they immediately called security and tried to locate her family's reservation on the computer. She didn't know her room number, but she thought that she had been staying "not on the top floor, but below it" and that she had eaten in the Concierge Lounge before, so she was probably a concierge guest. Her surname sounded unusual and she wasn't sure how to spell it, so the concierge never did find the family on the computer.

Apparently what happened was that her dad called for the elevator to the 10th floor and when it arrived, she jumped in before her dad was able to, and the doors closed and left her in elevator alone. When I called for the elevator to the 11th floor, it brought her up to us. If I'd been thinking straight, I suppose I could have realized that if I just jumped back in the elevator with her, her dad would have been frantically pushing to re-call the elevator back to the 10th floor...but I just didn't think of it. Anyway, it took about 5 minutes for the security officer to arrive and reunite everyone, and it all worked out fine.

I must say that her dad was MUCH cooler about the whole thing than I would have been. I would've been hysterical. Maybe it was a "dad-thing."

I had worried about losing our son all week, so I made a laminated luggage tag that had his name, all of our flight information (in case he got lost in the airport), all of our hotel information (building, floor) and our cell phone numbers, and the radio channels we were planning to use. I just made him wear his "luggage tag" strapped onto a belt loop on his shorts every time we left our hotel room. Fortunately, we never needed it, but it gave me a little extra peace-of-mind!

What an incredible thread. I wanted to respond so that it would reappear on the new posts list. Every parent should be prepared to identify their child and every kid should have some way of being identified. I am definetly looking into some of these ideas.

Well worth a bump I think.

I just wanted to add that the leashes are a marvellous idea - but waiting to use them as a deterrant is too late. You need to use them right away.

We took to looping one end of our dds leash over the handle of her stroller when she was in it - it kept the leash from trailing and if she did try to hop out, she would be dragging a stroller behind her so we would hopefully notice!

I think I will also be making a luggage tag up - that's a great idea

Bev

I lost my three year old (then two) in a wooded playground for 45 minutes. Think I shortened my life by ten years.

We had our two and three year old on leashes. A few dirty looks (but those generally changed when they noticed the second toddler), but far more comments on how smart we were. The first day, it was like walking two excited dogs - we'd have lost them for sure without the leashes. By the end of the week, they had learned and we'd let them off as long as they stayed close (and the adults weren't outnumbered).

"Dogtags" (the military ones, not the doggie ones) can be gotten fairly cheaply and your child's name, your name and (in our case) our cell phone number fit very nicely. If we'd had lost either child, the hope was my husband's cell phone would have rung.

I know how bad that mother feels, we lost our 7 year old DD walking out at the end of the Fantasmic show last April - it was the WORSE 10 minutes of my life! There were 12 of us in our group and I was holding my DS's hands and thought that my DD was with DH, well needless to say with 5 children with us on that vacation I was always doing head counts, well my heart just sank when I realized she wasn't with us - she had gone straight to a CM like we had told the children to do if they were lost and we found her holding hands with the CM - she was crying, so was I, but so HAPPY to have found her, I tell you it is moments like that that make you think about those poor parents whose children are taken and they never find them:( I can't imagine. Well it turns out after talking with her that DD was with our group but then saw something and stopped to look at it and that is how she got lost in the crowd away from us. That identification card is a wonderful idea and I will use it next time we visit WDW just in case something like that ever happens again but I have to say after that one incident my DD sticks to me like glue when we are in a place like that!

When we saw a family with two toddlers who were using brightly colored coiled wrist "leashes" at WDW, my 9 yr. old DD commented on how "cool" they were and even she recognized what a great safety idea they were!

Don't be embarrased to use them or let any rude stares or comments bother you, nothing is more important than the safety of our kids!

I lost sight of DD for about 3-4 min. in a dept. store when she was 2 1/2. It was truely awful....she was hiding inside a circular clothes rack... it can happen so quick!:(

Last saturday we were at the MK and since we have a 1 year old we stay in the baby center a lot of the time. Well, a crying child about 6 or 7 came in with a CM and they got her name and her mommies name and asked her if she wanted a drink and tried to make her comfy. She finally stopped crying and ate a big lollypop while coloring, and after about 30 minutes they said they found her mommy. Aboiut 30 minutes after that, her mom and sister came in. No hysterics, no hugs, She just said, it's not her fault she got lost, it's her stupid daddies. I was shocked at her behavior, and I am sure I would be hysterical when I picked up my lost child. They were in line to go on a ride, one parent was staggered 15 minutes back in the line, and the little girl asked her dad if she could go up and wait with mommy. He said yes - the girl never found her mom, and no one knew she was missing until they all had ridden the ride. What a weird family.

On another note, dones anyone know of a place that would embroider my last name and cell phone number on a tag that could be ironed into my son's clothes like if he was going to camp? He is too young for a fanny pack and the only other way to identify him is to write on his arm with permanant marker as I saw a family do .

Ali-

Maybe an easier alternative to getting iron ons, would be a tip I received here and used successfully for my 5 and 3 year old. They did not wear fanny packs either. We laminated small slips of paper with the resort they were staying, our cell phone numbers, etc. and put them in their shoe. We drilled into their head that if they got lost to find a CM and to take their shoe off and show them. Fortunately, they never got lost, but every morning we discussed the what ifs, and they seemed pretty clear about what to do.

PS. By laminating I actually used contact paper.

We will be going soon and love these ideas, but agree wrist leashes shouldn't be used just as a punishment. At the local zoo parents say what a good idea and my response to teens muttering "omg they're on a leash!" is "better than on a milk carton!" Two active boys in 90 degree heat - a wrist leash will be more comfortable and give more freedom than hand holding. All these children who were lost could have just as easily been abducted. SO SCARY!

We will be going soon and love these ideas, but agree wrist leashes shouldn't be used just as a punishment. At the local zoo parents say what a good idea and my response to teens muttering "omg they're on a leash!" is "better than on a milk carton!" Two active boys in 90 degree heat - a wrist leash will be more comfortable and give more freedom than hand holding. All these children who were lost could have just as easily been abducted. SO SCARY!
Also, remind you child to scream and fight if a stranger ever does grab them.

Glad to hear that everything worked out and she was ok. We are going in Sept/Oct and my 2 kids are 11 & 13. I am taking them up to get State ID's. I have been wanting to get this done anyway, but thought it would be really helpful on our trip. I want them to have them if for ex. they are in a car and there is an accident they can be identified if unable to speak. Gina

Reading this thread has refreshed in my mind what a terryfying experience that was...I'm actually almost crying reading this. What a great wake up call for all of us. Thanks for posting!

Last summer, me, my DD then 8, DNiece then 8, my DNiece 15 and my DS then 5 were at a water park (adventure Island) and were leaving the children's play area to go home. As we were all trailing out of the play area I said "first we'll go up here for some cotton candy then we'll go to the locker rooms and change"...Well, we walked up, got the cotton candy turned around and......Billy was GONE! It had been about 5 mins by this time. Well, we flipped out! The 8 year olds wanted to go look and I was afraid they'd get lost. I sent the 15 yr old off looking, told the 8 year olds not to move even one inch from the spot we were standing in and ran up to security at the entrance. As I was telling security my tale, a young boy (maybe 10?) said " oh I saw him, they're taking him to Fabian's Funport (which was the children's play area we had just left). Well, I went running back there, about 15 minutes gone by at this point and there is my DNiece(15) holding my DS in the play area and there are the two 8 year olds, standing exactly where they had been told to wait. I was CRYING! It turns out that he never heard me say the cotton candy part, we went right for cotton candy, he went left for the locker rooms...it wasn't until he got to the locker rooms that he realized we weren't with him. He says he went up to a "mom kind of person" and told her he couldn't find his mom and she took him to security. He told security where he had lost us and they took him back there which is where my niece found him.

Oh, I actually am crying writing this. It was only 15 minutes but what a horrible 15 minutes! I will use the ID idea on our upcoming trips...what a great idea!

My son is 4 and I always stick a big sticker on his shirt that says, "if lost please call our cell #___________". I don't care how silly he looks with a sticker on his shirt. I don't know how he would react in an emergency. If he screams, someone will notice him and that sticker. Our cell is , of course, in our fanny pack.

I am so glad your story had a happy ending. :) I am crying right now. I always masking tape my Ds name inside all of his shirts with other info, etc, but I don't know if anyone would think to look there if he got lost.

Pointing out the CMs is a great idea, and I thank you for your story.

Angie

Thank heavens that everything turned out well for everyone here! My SIL has always teased me about being overprepared in the diaper bag, and hypervigilant about watching my DD...we've always made it our first thing at any large facility where a child could get lost to stop and show her the employees' tags and discuss what to do if "Mommy and Daddy get lost". I'm so glad to hear of other parents doing the same! (Maybe I'm not neurotic after all!)I LOVE the laminated ID idea and will be making it up. I'm thinking of punching a hole in it and using a safety pin to secure it to her waistband of her shorts under her shirt if I can't get her to wear a fanny pack. I'll also laminate her favorite picture of us...what a great idea to help CMs double check parent ID (although I'm sure they've done quite well without it.)...and one of her. An idea in the Passporter book was to take a Poloroid photo of you child each day and carry it with you...but I don't have that type of camera. I do note down what she's wearing, etc. each day and carry it with me.

One thing that at CM mentioned to me about keeping kids safe was that altho kids clothes can be changed and hair dyed in just a few minutes, most kidnappers would NOT change the shoes as they would have no idea of what size to have with them...it made sense to me, and ever since, I have always made sure I know exactly what shoes my DD is wearing, along with her outfit for the day.

Off to make ID tags...thanks SO much for the idea!

Berta

Thankfully abductions of children by strangers is a relatively rare occurrence in this country. I think the best defense a parent has is constant vigilance and education of their children once they are old enough to be taught about safety. I do want to add that the stories that abound about children's clothes and hair being altered by abductors in store bathrooms are thankfully urban legends. Unfortunately, there are so many twisted evil people out there I wouldnt doubt that it might give someone ideas. Here is a site that reviews the validity of such stories.

http://www.ulrc.com.au/html/report....&Page=1&View=Request&Collection=Urban Dangers

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter