I just lost my job.....let's go to Disney World! PTR

disneychic

DIS Veteran
Disneychic....you just got laid off of work what are you going to do now?

I'm going to Disney World!

Well, in honesty, that's not exactly how it happened. Let's recap a bit......

In 2001 my DH and I were newly married and living in NJ. We both worked in NYC. I happened to work at WTC, and was there on 9/11. Needless to say, I did not return to work after barely living through that experience. The only thing that made me feel remotely better following 9/11 was going to WDW. We made 6 trips between the end of Sept 2011 and May of 2012 -- on that trip in May my husband said that since this was the only thing that made me smile, we should move to Central Florida. When we got home in June, we, put our beach front condo on the market...it sold in 1 day! -- I guess we could've asked for more $$ but, we made a profit and I just wanted to start a new life in the Florida sunshine. We moved to Celebration in September 2002, made great friends, had great jobs and really enjoyed our new Florida lifestyle ......until last summer when my DH received a job offer with the department of defense. He is an engineer, this is a dream job, with a dream salary....only problem is......it's in mid-coastal MAINE....we'd never even been there before! But, it was just too good of an opportunity for him to turn down. So, in August we made the move from Florida to Maine (talk about 1 extreme to the other). I was very fortunate that my job didn't want to loose me, so they set me up with a home office in Maine. It was working out great, they were even flying me down to Florida for meetings every 8 weeks. A few months ago, I was told that a company out of Houston was merging with my company and my boss wasn't sure what types of roles any of the previous employees were going to end up having, since this new company was bringing a large financial investment, they would be calling all the shots.

About a month ago, my DH and I booked a trip to WDW for mid May. Not even a week later, my boss told me they are eliminating my position at the end of April :scared1: It was very upsetting since I had worked for this company for four years, and the people there became like family members to me. I asked my husband if he wanted to cancel our upcoming trip, but he said "absolutely not!" We are using our DVC points, so no money is being put out for the room, and we had already purchased our flights, we have annual passes, so there really isn't a need to cancel at this point.

Right now, we are set up to stay the first 2 nights at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, in a savannah room studio and the last 3 nights at the Wilderness Lodge Villas (because we booked relatively late, we couldn't get all 5 nights at one resort but we are on waitlists for the Boardwalk for all 5 nights, or the Wilderness Lodge for the 1st two nights) hopefully one of them will come through so we don't have to do the check in/check out, check in/check out game.

Hope you are enjoying....there is more pre-tripping to come :)

Just the two of us are going on this trip, here's a pic taken of us while we were on the Disney Magic....

deckparty-1.jpg

This trip sounds like just what you need after getting laid off. The same thing happened to me last year, I had already booked our Sept trip when I got laid off. The trip provided a much needed break from the stress of job hunting.

Hope you have a wonderful trip, I can't wait to read about it.

That sounds fantastic! Ive been out of work for a year now and have become a stay at home dad while my wife works. Shes so depressed being way from our 2 year old and not getting to see him every day I decided to ebay as many things as I could to book us a return trip to Disney this September. I have our room at the Double Tree reserved and a rental car set up. I just need to book a flight and nail down some tickets. When unemployed..... go to Disney I say!!:thumbsup2

Soon to be unemployed and heading to Disney as well!! I have until the end of June before the entire library staff of my school district is let go due to the state's budgetary crisis. Planning for my Disney trip really helps keep me from being down in the dumps- hope it can do the same for you too!

:hug:

Soon to be unemployed and heading to Disney as well!! I have until the end of June before the entire library staff of my school district is let go due to the state's budgetary crisis. Planning for my Disney trip really helps keep me from being down in the dumps- hope it can do the same for you too!

:hug:

Thanks GinnyBear's mom! I knew I'd find other DIS'ers w/ similar situations on here! Planning for this "little trip" has now completely taken over my life -- in a good way! :hug:

That sounds fantastic! Ive been out of work for a year now and have become a stay at home dad while my wife works. Shes so depressed being way from our 2 year old and not getting to see him every day I decided to ebay as many things as I could to book us a return trip to Disney this September. I have our room at the Double Tree reserved and a rental car set up. I just need to book a flight and nail down some tickets. When unemployed..... go to Disney I say!!:thumbsup2

I love your new saying "When unemployed ...go to Disney!" I think we should start a club!! Have fun planning out the rest of your trip! It'll be here before you know it :)

This trip sounds like just what you need after getting laid off. The same thing happened to me last year, I had already booked our Sept trip when I got laid off. The trip provided a much needed break from the stress of job hunting.

Hope you have a wonderful trip, I can't wait to read about it.

I totally agree -- I'd rather be planning my WDW trip, and enjoying my vacation than job searching (which is a complete joke --- the job market up here is non existent). Thank you for the kind words!!:hug:

i am so sorry about your job loss:( but if there is anything in the world that should cheer you up disney is the place:) And i am sure you really need it right now:) I am joining in your PTR and can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Well, DH and I decided to add the Disney Dinning Plan onto our upcoming vacation. We have never done the dining plan before. When we were on our honeymoon we were on what was then called "the Grand Plan" which pretty much included everything, and I do mean -- EVERYTHING, all meals, snacks, spa treatments, unlimited watercraft, La Nouba, private fireworks cruise, etc. But that was our very first trip and our honeymoon so we were going all out! The Grand Plan at The Grand Floridian...cost a fortune, but well worth it at the time.
I think this is the reason we joined DVC while we were on our honeymoon -- DH & I fell in love with everything Disney while on our honeymoon, and it was his idea to find out more about DVC. I think he knew I'd want to be coming back multiple times a year, and at the time, that was a great way to ensure this could happen.

For this trip, we are going to stick with the basic dining plan. Here are the ADR's and plans so far for our upcoming trip:

Saturday 5/15
Flight out of Maine - 6:15 AM:scared1: - connecting flight through Baltimore
FINALLY arrive in Orlando at 1:00 PM
DME to AKV (unless waitlist comes through)
Lunch CS at Epcot (unless we are running late, then we will stay at AKV)
Dinner - ADR for Boma at 7:00 - we have dinner plans with friends who live in the area

Sunday 5/16
Epcot
lunch - CS
Dinner ADR at Tepan Edo (Japan) 7:15
after dinner - HS (EMH - opened until 1 AM)

Monday 5/17
Check out of AKV and into Villas at Wilderness Lodge (unless waitlist comes through)
Hang out at the VWL pool
Lunch - CS at Roaring Forks
Magic Kingdom
Dinner ADR - Tony's Town Square 6:15
MK EMH tonight (MK open until 2AM!)

Tuesday 5/18
?not sure which park we will go to this day??
Dinner ADR - Ohana 8:15

Weds 5/19
?? Not sure which park to visit today??
ADR - Boma 5:00

Thursday :sad1: Home

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter