I Just Finished My Taxes!!!

calypso*a*go-go

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
And why is this on the DIS Unplugged board? Because I'm using my refund to pay for the Pod Squad Cruise!!!! :thumbsup2

I am just so happy to get everything completed and filed. It always gives me a huge amount of anxiety during the process because we have some investments that can really make the pendulum swing either way...luckily, this year was a swing in the right direction!

So now I'm twice as happy -- taxes are done, and I'm cruisin' with the "Squad"!!! :sail:

It always gives me a huge amount of anxiety during the process because we have some investments that can really make the pendulum swing either way...luckily, this year was a swing in the right direction!

So now I'm twice as happy -- taxes are done, and I'm cruisin' with the "Squad"!!! :sail:

Woo Hoo!! :woohoo: Super!! But "Uh Oh," too. Look out, folks...we've got swingers on the cruise... :scared1:

Good for you!!! I know it feels great to be done with taxes!

That's awesome Calypso! I couldn't convince DH to use our tax return for the pod squad cruise. He reminded me that I've gotten to take two trips to Disney and he still doesn't have an HDTV...so that's where our tax money went! Ah, the sacrifices we make for marriage. :rotfl:

Just out of interest - how does the USA tax system work and do you always get money back at the end of your tax year.

In the UK we get taxed on our monthly salaries as well as pay National Insurance which goes towards our National Health service.

We also pay Value Added Tax on all goods and services we buy.There is a few things we buy that are exempt

Just being nosey really:lmao:

Just out of interest - how does the USA tax system work and do you always get money back at the end of your tax year.

In the UK we get taxed on our monthly salaries as well as pay National Insurance which goes towards our National Health service.

Oh boy! This could turn out to be a loaded question!:rolleyes1

The VERY simple, UNPROFESSIONAL answer is we get taxes taken out of our paychecks. If you don't have enough taken out during the year to equal what our fine government says you owe, then the taxpayer owes money to the government by the filing deadline--April 15. This is not fun. If you owe a lot, and you can't pay it all at once, they add penalties and fees and those are less fun.

If you have too much taken out during the year, then you get a refund of the overpayment. It's kind of like a free loan to the government, but a lot of people do it because they like to get that money back all at once the following year, or because they are afraid that they won't have enough taken out and then they will owe.

Clear as mud?

The VERY simple, UNPROFESSIONAL answer is we get taxes taken out of our paychecks. If you don't have enough taken out during the year to equal what our fine government says you owe, then the taxpayer owes money to the government by the filing deadline--April 15. This is not fun. If you owe a lot, and you can't pay it all at once, they add penalties and fees and those are less fun.

If you have too much taken out during the year, then you get a refund of the overpayment. It's kind of like a free loan to the government, but a lot of people do it because they like to get that money back all at once the following year, or because they are afraid that they won't have enough taken out and then they will owe.

Clear as mud?

We like tax time. I know that the government is using our money, and we could be investing it. But, we love that check at the end of the year.

And why is this on the DIS Unplugged board? Because I'm using my refund to pay for the Pod Squad Cruise!!!! :thumbsup2

I am just so happy to get everything completed and filed. It always gives me a huge amount of anxiety during the process because we have some investments that can really make the pendulum swing either way...luckily, this year was a swing in the right direction!

Glad that it's all working out for you. Are you paying for all of it with this year's? We could probably use next year's for the cruise.

Clear as mud?

Do they often not take enough or do you all get cheques at the end of the year?

Great news :)
Wish we were in a similar position of a windfall bonus to pay for the pod cruise :goodvibes

Great news Calypso! Us procrastinators are waiting a little closer to April. Glad to hear you've made it official.

Some of us are self-employed, or seasonally employed, and end up PAYING. I hate tax-time.

We should be jumping for joy as we had a tax deduction born in June:love: , but DH's employment overseas didn't take taxes out so we are soooooooo paying....ALOT! We saved for it, but we are dreading it, plainly dreading it.

Do they often not take enough or do you all get cheques at the end of the year?

The simple answer is it depends. Some people deliberately set up their witholdings to get a refund - those are usually the people that have found themselves confronted with a large unexpected tax bill one year. :scared1: I've had that happen. Others hate the idea of giving the government an interest free loan and set things up so they owe a bit at the end of each year. There's actually quite a bit of flexibility in the system, with the caveat that at the end the government will get the money.

The simple answer is it depends. Some people deliberately set up their witholdings to get a refund - those are usually the people that have found themselves confronted with a large unexpected tax bill one year. :scared1: I've had that happen. Others hate the idea of giving the government an interest free loan and set things up so they owe a bit at the end of each year. There's actually quite a bit of flexibility in the system, with the caveat that at the end the government will get the money.

this is what we do. this year we are getting a bigger check than ever:banana: nj is also getting an extra check in May for property tax relief since we pay so much. I think we are going to use this money towards more DVC points when KT villas is announced.

We also pay Value Added Tax on all goods and services we buy.There is a few things we buy that are exempt

Just being nosey really:lmao:

Others have answered about our system (don't get me started), but just a quick note...

In my experience, overall we don't pay nearly the taxes you do. I have never lived or worked long term in the UK, but my colleagues from Ireland are thrilled to bits to be working in the US and not taxed as much as at home.

I, personally, was thrilled to get my VAT refund the last time i visited Ireland and the UK :cool1:

--Daneen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter