I just can't make fudge! Help!

Randi

<font color=purple>Don't you dare dangle my meat i
Well, I did it again. My dad will get his annual box of fudge crumbs & nuggets. I have tried everything and still can't make fudge. I bake bread, cookies, pies, and cakes, but I can't do fudge. He likes the penuche with walnuts like his mom used to make so I use her recipe and it is like the ones in my cookbooks now. I even bought a candy thermometer. Everything was going great until I started the stirring, it seemed very runny and then hardened up so fast I couldn't even get it into the pan. Does anybody know how to make good fudge?

I too, am hopeless at making fudge. My mother in law told me to use the recipe on the back of Krafts Marshmallow Cream jar and believe it or not.. it worked! Even for me. I was so impressed with myself. Give it a try you might be just as lucky. It makes the creamy fudge not the crunchy sugary fudge.

Cheryl :bounce:

The marshmalow one is the best, but not the one on the jar now, the old one Fantasy Fudge, it is so easy and always comes out great. I have made chocolate, peanutbutter and white chocolate macadamia(sp) nut .

My cousin who does not cook at all, gave me a great simple recipe over the weekend.

1 can of milk chocolate frosting (melted)
1 bag of peanut butter chips (melted)

stir these together and let cool a little. Then she put them into her Pampered Chef Spritz cookie maker and made little fudge trees. They were very rich. If she didn't mess them up, I know I can't :)

yummy - that sounds like the recipe my 10yo dd invented for herself. She melted milk chocolate & peanut chips in the microwave and dropped it in circles on a plate. Stuck it in the freezer until hard and called it cookies. They did taste great!

I use sweetened condensed milk for my base and make the first layer with semi-sweet choc. Pour it in the pan top it with crushed snickers, heath bits 'o brickle or nuts...whatever your hear desires...then make a second layer the same as the first but with milk choc. chips. Pour over the top and refrigerats. Let me know if you want more details.

I love sharing recipes!

The one I use is the Eagle Brand recipe-they have a great web site. It is as follows:

3 cups semi-sweet or milk choc. chips
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup of nuts(optional)

Melt chips with milk, remove from heat-stir in vanilla and nuts. Pour into a wax paper lined pan. I like using a loaf pan for thickness!

Cool 2 hours. Flip out onto a cutting board and cut into pieces. I made some yesterday and just stuck it in the fridge. The wax paper peels right off!

It is fool proof!

Enjoy:earsgirl:

Marshmellow Fluff recipe always turns out like a dream for me. ! One thing you may want to do is cook it a little bit longer than you think you need to. If you don't cook it long enough it will not get the consistency you want.

I have used the Fantasy Fudge recipe on the back of the jar of marshmallow creme for 30 years. It's always perfect. When they say boil and stir for 5 minutes I always set the timer and stir constantly.

Why did they recently change the recipe to Creamy Fudge and is it any good? It has less sugar and more chocolate. I followed the old recipe; didn't want to take a chance.

LOL Wouldn't you know that as soon as I posted that it always turned out............... I went and made some...too soft! :) Didn't cook it long enough so this time I used my candy thermometer lol much better! :D

I can't believe I've misplaced my Fantasy Fudge label but I found this Fantasy Fudge recipe (does this match yours Nikole & RumpleMom?) It certainly looks the same but I'd hate to be wrong.

Fantasy Fudge
3 c. Sugar
3/4 c. Margarine
2/3 c. Evapoated Milk
12 oz. Chocolate Chips
7 oz. Marshmallow Cream
1 c. chopped Nuts
1 t. Vanilla

Combine sugar, milk & margarine in heavy saucepan and bring to boil. Stir constantly. Continue to boil for 5 mins over medium heat. Remove from heat & stir in chocolate chips. Add marshmallow cream. & vanilla extract. Beat until well blended. Pour into a well buttered 9X13" pan. Cool at room temperature until firm & cut into squares.

Just about.....
mine was
1 can (14 oz) evap milk
1 stick butter
2 1/4 cup sugar
12 oz choc chips
7 oz fluff
1 tsp vanilla

(1 cup nuts, optional)

Since timing how long it had been boiling didn't work yesterday...today I just made sure to bring the temp of the milk butter and sugar to 234. :D

Nuts isn't optional with my hubby! ;) The only problem is whether to use pecans (my favorite) or walnuts (his) LOL

Thanks Nikole. I can't imagine where my label has gotten off to.

To Worknfires, yes your recipe is correct. I use semi-sweet morsels. I just finished a batch made with pecans. I put the fudge into 3 one pound loaf pans with plastic lids. Fudge and a Wendell August Forge (Grove City, PA) ornament are our standard gifts for teachers. The teachers always comment that they look forward to these every year. One teacher's son wanted to know if she could keep having the student who gives her fudge every year!

Thanks RumpleMom!

Well Randi, you've gotten several great recipes for easy to make fudge. Let us know how it turns out and if your dad likes them!

This is the recipe I use (it is delicious) and BELIEVE ME, I am no cook. It uses mini-marshmallows instead of the marshmallow cream:

Easy Can't Fail Fudge Recipe
4 c Miniature marshmallows
2/3 c Evaporated milk
1/4 c Butter or margarine
1 1/2 c Sugar
1/4 ts Salt
12 oz Semisweet chocolate pieces
1 ts Vanilla
1/2 c Chopped nuts
Combine marshmallows, milk, butter, sugar and salt in saucepan. Cook and stir until mixture comes to full boil. Boil 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add chocolate pieces, beating until melted. Do not overbeat. Fold in vanilla and nuts. Pour into greased 9-inch square pan. Chill until firm. Makes 2 1/2 pounds

I just finished making three batches of fudge: eggnog, pumpkin and good old chocolate nut. I have a sugar rush from cleaning the pan between batches. :crazy:

All the recipes came from Skaarup's Fudge . There are some great recipes on that site. One is a blueberry cheesecake fudge that sounds yummy.

I have a great recipe for pbutter fudge you make in the microwave . It is really easy and always comes out great for me!

4 cups of sugar
1 cup of butter or margarine
1 can of evaporated milk

Heat in the microwave for 20-22 minutes on high heat. Stir every 5 minutes. Test for softball stage. When softball stage has been acheived

add:
1-2 cups of pbutter
1 bag of pbutter chips
1 tsp vanilla
1 7oz jar of marshmallow cream

Put in an aluminum pan or a buttered cake pan. Do not refrigerate! Keep at room temperature until firm.

You can also use chocolate chips in place of the pbutter chips or even white chocolate chips. You can also add nuts!

Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter