I hope this is a misunderstanding

Sadly it is true. There were similar guidelines created in the beginning of the pandemic here in the US, as a backup plan in case our hospitals were overwhelmed. It's awful.

This was the point of our flatten the curve movement - keep the numbers down so hospitals could treat everyone. My understanding was that they were actually having to make those kind of triage decisions months ago in NYC because of the large numbers of patients.

Last edited:
Much of the public thought like this too. How many times has someone said that it's not such a big deal since the virus affects the elderly and compromised the most? I've always thought that anyone not young and "healthy" were seen as more expendable by many.

I believe Italy was faced with this problem. They got to the point where they literally had to decide who to treat and who to let die based on who was more likely to survive.

It was one of the big reasons we shut down in the US. Looking at what was happening in Italy, we didn't want to go through the same horror story. And yet, 4 months later, here we are....

This is so upsetting, but it’s also the ugly reality of triaging in mass casualty situations. That’s why so many of us are begging people to take this seriously and do everything they can to reduce cases. When there are the resources to treat 20 people but 30 people at the door, doctors have to decide who gets care based on who is most likely to survive.

Again, even if you are low risk, please do everything you can to limit the spread so we do not get to these decision stages!

I believe Italy was faced with this problem. They got to the point where they literally had to decide who to treat and who to let die based on who was more likely to survive.

It was one of the big reasons we shut down in the US. Looking at what was happening in Italy, we didn't want to go through the same horror story. And yet, 4 months later, here we are....
Yes, exactly. Italy had at some point so many sick people at the same time. The hospitals couldn't handle it. Plus it was at the beginning of the crisis where we knew even less about the disease.

And don't worry about being horrible, each country has this scenario prepared. Plus it is not new it happens more often with complicated (expensive) medical procedures at a late age in life or for example donor organs, they do think 'is it worth the investment', 'who will benefit more, a young or old person'. It is an economic point of view and not an ethical point of view.

Sadly, we're now seeing how horrible many Americans are. :(
Italy was first, so how horrible are Italians?
This came up back in March or April in the United States (note that everybody from North, South, and Central America technically fall under the umbrella of "Americans"). It's not new, and it came up because there was this shortage of respiratory equipment and ICU beds.

Italy was first, so how horrible are Italians?
This came up back in March or April in the United States (note that everybody from North, South, and Central America technically fall under the umbrella of "Americans"). It's not new, and it came up because there was this shortage of respiratory equipment and ICU beds.
LOL... We all know that Italy made mistakes. The US had the benefit of seeing the mistakes other countries made & shouldn't be making the same mistakes.

We've both been posting here for a long time. You know who I'm referring to, when I say Americans. This seems like your way of deflecting from the horrible response the US has had in dealing with this situation. Any state that is close to running out of hospital equipment & ICU beds needs to go back to shelter in place until the hospitals have more available beds.

Last edited:
It’s called triage. The concept has been around for years in healthcare. I learned about it 40 years ago in nursing school. It’s a pretty common concept in mass casualty situations. When you have limited resources, you don’t waste them on people who won’t survive.

This is the reason why masks, social distancing, and staying at home except for necessary reasons has been instituted in so many states. If the public chose not to follow that advice, then....

I posted this scenario months ago when we discussed this and they were having to use triage in many parts of the world including parts of the US, but I'll repeat it because I love to tell the story. My grandpa failed triage and was put in the left to die pile on what turned out to be the last day of WWI. Because the war ended and causalities stopped coming in they had time to help him. As lots of us have pointed out, that is exactly why we were trying to limit the numbers and flatten the curve - so we would have enough resources to help everyone and not leave people untreated.

It's amazing to me that four plus months into this we're still trying to get people to understand that we have have to work together on this and we can't just think that our choices only affect us. One asymptomatic person can unknowingly spread it to many. If one person gets sick and needs treatment, they possibly take resources from another victim. The longer the spread continues and we have to distance, the longer people are out of work. The list of ramifications goes on and on, yet a huge chunk of the population refuses to acknowledge their own culpability.

Guys, the article I read was talking about putting a DNR on patients with learning disabilities not just those who have health conditions,

ETA
What about those like me who have the label but just got a great report from there doctor she said this is the healthiest she has ever seen me, plenty of disabled adults such as my self who are thriving with little to no support from family my mom is just my financial trustee my doctors will not even talk to her without my permission

Last edited:
Guys, the article I read was talking about putting a DNR on patients with learning disabilities not just those who have health conditions,

ETA
What about those like me who have the label but just got a great report from there doctor she said this is the healthiest she has ever seen me, plenty of disabled adults such as my self who are thriving with little to no support from family my mom is just my financial trustee my doctors will not even talk to her without my permission

Many people don’t bother to read articles. They just skim the headline and react to that, instead of actually paying attention to what was actually posted. The article is utterly horrifying, and has nothing to do with medical triage.

ETA: I hope you have someone who can be entrusted with making medical decisions on your behalf if you become incapacitated. Everyone should have a designee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter