I heard some resort closing info today...

It's not just a case whether an individual resort is profitable per se, but the wider picture of how to get more people into the parks paying admittance, buying food & merchandise, etc.

Andre

You are absolutely correct. Disney announced that spending in the parks was down 40% the last quarter of 2008. It's true for us --- DH and I stayed in a Villa --- only ate one meal outside the room because of the kitchen.....and shopping was less than in years past......and were shocked at the low crowds in early December....and nobody bringing Disney shopping bags out of the parks in the evenings.

We just got back and one thing my wife notice was the stores were empty. Everyone was leaving the park without shopping.

last trip we never even went into the stores. We went one day at DTD shopping and spent under 100.and my girls spent their B-day money. This is what we had to do, to be able to afford going to DW and my kids understood that. I actually bought my souvies for family on e-bay, before the trip. With free dining we spent about 500. out of pocket(tips) for expenses for 10 days.

If other families are like ours, I can see why Disney is hurting.
I am keeping an eye on this thread, because we booked bounceback at POR. I would love it to close for an upgrade for a family of 5.

However, I highly doubt this will happen.

I noticed the same thing and we were there the 20th-25th of Dec when almost everything was 40%. Not many bags in the parks at all. 40% off their items brings them down to more reasonable prices, but still more than something bought at an outlet or a discount store.

We were at WDW Nov 8 -14, 2008. I commented several times to my husband that very few people were shopping. We had a notepad and wrote down the stuff we wanted and at what stores it was at. We did not shop until the last 2 days. Our previous trip in October 2005- we shopped the whole trip. We definately were more thrifty this last trip.

I noticed the stores were pretty empty in early December, too. We didn't buy as much as we often do, either. It was a combination of factors for us. The fact that we flew instead of drove, so were limited in space this trip; we were being a little "pickier" because of the economy; and really, not as many items appealed to us this trip. Sometimes we'll go and find a ton of t-shirts we like. This year the colors and designs just weren't "there" for us.

I'm sure the combination of the economy and the airline baggage charges are like a double whammy to souvenir sales. We did have one small purchase shipped.

Im sure the Amercan visitors are shopping a little less, but you can be sure international visitors are shopping a lot less! We all have a double hit of the recession and strong dollar restricting out shopping!

So whilst bookings might be ok because many trips were paid for in advance, when it comes to being there the money just aint in our pockets to shop.

You also have this little issue (unless it was mentioned in the middle of this thread somewhere) that the airlines are now charging for all your bags. Consequently we can no longer do a bag in a bag & then bring home souv. in it when we return - have to pay $$ for that extra bag.

You also have this little issue (unless it was mentioned in the middle of this thread somewhere) that the airlines are now charging for all your bags. Consequently we can no longer do a bag in a bag & then bring home souv. in it when we return - have to pay $$ for that extra bag.

We always did "the extra bag in a bag" thing, too. Sometimes two! We've stopped doing this. Over the last few trips, I've passed up quite a few items I would have bought in past years.

DisFlan

We always did "the extra bag in a bag" thing, too. Sometimes two! We've stopped doing this. Over the last few trips, I've passed up quite a few items I would have bought in past years.

We've done this in the past, and we still did it in October, but only because we didn't need 4 bags for the 4 of us going down. But that isn't likely to be true in April.

I wonder if Disney has been considering this on the impact of merch sales. They should cut the price of shipping, or even offer free shipping over a certain amount at places like WoD...might alleviate some of the crunch.

Or perhaps negotiate with the airlines that have remote checkins at the resorts to forgive the extra bag fees...

We were not charged any bag fees when we checked our bags at the resort in Nov. But were charged at the airport flying to MCO.

We were not charged any bag fees when we checked our bags at the resort in Nov. But were charged at the airport flying to MCO.

We flew on Delta in December, during the time that Delta was starting the fees. We were asked when we checked our luggage at the resort if Delta had charged us for the flight down, the fee did not apply to us in either direction because we had booked our flight way before the fees were announced.

I admit that we have taken advantage of the military exclusion with added bag fees. We hope that they continue to make this allowance. At least American Airlines did for us as recently as November.

As for Disney specifically goes, we drive so that leaves us plenty of space :)

I wonder if Disney has been considering this on the impact of merch sales. They should cut the price of shipping, or even offer free shipping over a certain amount at places like WoD...might alleviate some of the crunch.

I'm sure the effect of bag fees has occurred to Disney at this point. I like your idea of "free shipping with a minimum purchase". Yup - I'd make a list and hit WoD. We'd buy more stuff.

DisFlan

I'm sure the effect of bag fees has occurred to Disney at this point. I like your idea of "free shipping with a minimum purchase". Yup - I'd make a list and hit WoD. We'd buy more stuff.

DisFlan

I'd take advantage of that!

We were at WDW Nov 8 -14, 2008. I commented several times to my husband that very few people were shopping. We had a notepad and wrote down the stuff we wanted and at what stores it was at. We did not shop until the last 2 days. Our previous trip in October 2005- we shopped the whole trip. We definately were more thrifty this last trip.

I saw plenty of people spending in WOD on SuperBowl Sunday.

Heck, DD14 & I spent over $400.00 there (and that was after the 20% discount I got for being an AP holder) that day! We got lots of great stuff!:yay:

I just returned from there -- we were there for a baton twirling competition. I know there are a lot of negative comments about big groups competing at WDW, especially the cheerleaders. But they do put a lot of heads in the beds and girls in the stores. However, since we are part of a group, I can tell you that these trips to WDW are planned pretty much a year in advance -- group routine participants picked, choreography, etc.

But...after speaking with people from other groups at the twirling competitions, as well as many people from cheerleading groups (our reservations overlap theirs) I can tell you many people are not planning to return next year. Maybe people won't be so quick to criticize having these groups at WDW when they realize how many beds they filled.

We are hoping to go back again, but we realize that the economy will hit everybody hard in the next year, and fundraising and sponsorships will not be able to fill the gaps. I'm sure other groups who were planning to compete later this year are rethinking their options as we speak.

I just returned from there -- we were there for a baton twirling competition. I know there are a lot of negative comments about big groups competing at WDW, especially the cheerleaders. But they do put a lot of heads in the beds and girls in the stores. However, since we are part of a group, I can tell you that these trips to WDW are planned pretty much a year in advance -- group routine participants picked, choreography, etc.

But...after speaking with people from other groups at the twirling competitions, as well as many people from cheerleading groups (our reservations overlap theirs) I can tell you many people are not planning to return next year. Maybe people won't be so quick to criticize having these groups at WDW when they realize how many beds they filled.

We are hoping to go back again, but we realize that the economy will hit everybody hard in the next year, and fundraising and sponsorships will not be able to fill the gaps. I'm sure other groups who were planning to compete later this year are rethinking their options as we speak.

The only one that will be complaining about beds not being filled will be Disney

The only one that will be complaining about beds not being filled will be Disney

Well, and the people Disney will lay off because of it...

I've already heard of one cheerleading group that doesn't plan on going this year.

Well, and the people Disney will lay off because of it...

I've already heard of one cheerleading group that doesn't plan on going this year.

Sorry, but I'm still waiting for the crowds to fall off. We have made nine day trips since January 5th, and the parks and restaurants are STILL crowded. I'm still waiting for this "slacking-off" they keep talking about. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter