• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I have Narrowed it down to 2 resorts, plz help me narrow it to just one

5 nights after our cruise, we will be using Disney's Transportation for the 1st time, what resort?

• Poly

Votes: 36 76.6%
  • BWI

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disneyhenry

DisneyRosie
Ok 2 adults and a 7 year old boy, we will be staying 5 nights after our cruise (Disney's EBPC) and this will be the 1st time not renting a car. So I have narrowed it down to Poly or BWI, the price difference between the two is just $200 for our entire stay. We will spend 4 days at the parks and 1 day at the resort enjoying the pool and just relaxing. At both resorts we will be picking Standard View rooms and we really want a balcony.
Thanks!

Which parks?

Poly has a superior access to almost everything except Disney Springs/Animal Kingdom. Boardwalk has fab access to Hollywood Studios, Epcot and the Boardwalk area. It's also generally quieter (Poly generally has many more non-resort visitors to the resort).

Both pools are fun, unless you fear clowns or volcanos, in which case they each have drawbacks.

Which parks?

Poly has a superior access to almost everything except Disney Springs/Animal Kingdom. Boardwalk has fab access to Hollywood Studios, Epcot and the Boardwalk area. It's also generally quieter (Poly generally has many more non-resort visitors to the resort).

Both pools are fun, unless you fear clowns or volcanos, in which case they each have drawbacks.

LOL you are funny, fear of clowns or volcanoes, I lived through MT ST Helens and fine with volcanos but a little frightened of clowns but my 7 year old is scared of neither. We will do Epcot, HS, MK and I think a Water Park,

With that as a mix, I would actually say Boardwalk. Walking to Epcot and HS, now has its own bus to MK, and fewer people passing through the resort itself than the Poly.

Also: a giant clown slide.

With that as a mix, I would actually say Boardwalk. Walking to Epcot and HS, now has its own bus to MK, and fewer people passing through the resort itself than the Poly.

Also: a giant clown slide.

LOL! You had me thinking BWI too, until you mentioned.........THE CLOWN!!! Yikes!

OP, either resort is great so I understand your dilemma. I voted for the Poly because being close to the MK is the most important for easy transportation, IMO. Plus you can monorail from TTC to Epcot. SO, the Poly is convenient to both the MK and Epcot while the BWI is convenient to Epcot and DHS. I find the bus to DHS easier than the bus to MK, so the Poly wins for transportation. The Poly has larger rooms, the Poly has a nicer pool and the Poly has a better viewing area for fireworks. I also like the dining at the Poly better. There is a magical tropical atmosphere walking around the Poly and over to the GF. However, it is a lot of fun on the BW in the evening, so that's a wash.

BWI definitely wins re a balcony however. About 1/3 of Poly rooms do not have a balcony or patio.

Whichever you choose, have a great time!!

I've stayed in the Epcot resort area twice, and really enjoy strolling into World Showcase for a quick meal or snack, or having a slice of pizza on the Boardwalk.

But my pick would probably be the Poly next time for the MK fireworks. It's really a wash.

If you are feeling even more adventurous (and don't mind the hassle), you could also do a split stay!

I voted for the Poly because being close to the MK is the most important for easy transportation, IMO. Plus you can monorail from TTC to Epcot. SO, the Poly is convenient to both the MK and Epcot while the BWI is convenient to Epcot and DHS. I find the bus to DHS easier than the bus to MK, so the Poly wins for transportation. The Poly has larger rooms, the Poly has a nicer pool and the Poly has a better viewing area for fireworks. I also like the dining at the Poly better. There is a magical tropical atmosphere walking around the Poly and over to the GF. However, it is a lot of fun on the BW in the evening, so that's a wash.

BWI definitely wins re a balcony however. About 1/3 of Poly rooms do not have a balcony or patio.

Whichever you choose, have a great time!!

I agree :thumbsup2.

Given your mention of MK, HS, and Epcot as the parks you will visit than I would also vote for the Boardwalk. We have stayed there many times. Being able to walk to Epcot and walk or boat to HS gives it an advantage. We have found the bus service to MK to be reasonable. Balconies on every room.

If your 7 year old (or you) is really into the MK than no question the Poly has the advantage. For adults, I think the Epcot resort area has more to offer.

Have fun with your planning and wishing you a magical trip!

I'd go with Boardwalk. I've stayed at both multiple times. Since you plan on doing HS and Epcot you will be closer to both at BW. Poly is a nice resort, very kid friendly, and of course either a monorail or boat ride away from MK but since you will also be doing the other two parks you are going to have to be doing some transporting that you wouldn't have to do at BW. From Poly to Epcot (from what I understand) your only option is the monorail. You have to take that to TTC and then transfer to another one for the leg to Epcot. To go to HS you are going to have to bus it. From BW to get to Epcot you can walk or there is a boat (it's quicker to walk) you can also walk to HS or take the boat (again I think it's quicker to walk). If you have PHs you can go through Epcot and take the monorail to MK (again with the transfer at TTC) or take the bus. It is a direct bus, and pretty quick. Anywhere you stay you are going to bus to the water park. Or, as others have mention, you could do a split stay and do both.

:P:P:PThe monorail from the Poly to Epcot is slow, unless you walk to TTC. The monorail is also not always reliable. I think it still has a few stellar moments when working, like the ability to roll on a stroller instead of fold. This does not seem an issue for OP.

The Boardwalk area is fun, and the clown water slide is well-reviewed. I am not a fan of clowns. :P

I am thinking that the single biggest issue is the full day spent at the resort.

(There are obviously pros and cons to transportation from either resort. I prefer the Poly transportation, but others clearly prefer the BWI transportation.)

Which resort would you rather spend the day relaxing in? I cannot imagine spending a day at the BWI without going into a Theme park, whereas I wouldn't stay at the Poly without planning a resort day. The pool and play areas are nicer, you have a couple of beach areas to enjoy, QS is better, access to the GF and the CR as well as FW and the WL is better than access to YC/BC and the Swolphin (because there are more publicly available things to do at these nearby resorts if you want to visit during your resort day), and there is the luau at the Poly as an option to enjoy at night.

The BW is fun to stroll along and view buskers at night andduring the day there is the clown pool, but that is about it at the BWI. I suppose that you could book Beaches n Cream for a lunch on your resort day. That would be nice, but it does need to be pre booked as an ADR.

Of course, if the balcony is really important, than the BWI is the way to go. AT the Poly, there is a possibility that you will not get a balcony. I really wish that Disney would make a balcony/patio room as a bookable category at the Poly. But, right now it is only a request.

Poly hands down for the quick access to MK and great views of Wishes at night. It is also recently renovated with an awesome pool and lobby.

If you plan to spend more than one day at Magic Kingdom, I would pick Poly. But if you are planning to visit all 4 parks, you can walk to two of the parks from Boardwalk. Have you thought about a split stay?

Tough call! I've stayed at both and they're both beautiful resorts. You can't beat the Poly for proximity to transportation and the Magic Kingdom, but it's also nice not to have to rely on transportation to get to the parks. In addition to walking to World Showcase at Epcot, Boardwalk is just a short hike to Hollywood Studios as well. I like the idea of a split-stay, too. That way you don't have to decide! Good luck and enjoy your vacation : )

This is a tough one. I was leaning towards BWI because that would be 2 days of being able to walk to the parks, but then with a day spent at the resort I think it really depends which one you would find more fun for a resort day. Poly gets a slight "pro" in my book since you can rent a boat and go out on the large lake plus you can watch the fireworks from the resort at night. In other words, I don't think you can go wrong either way...

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to book the Poly. Being a monorail resort is great but I personally love spending time there. Being able to lay in a hammock on the beach and see the water pageant, Cinderella's Castle, and Wishes... You can't beat it!

I picked Poly! The monorail to MK and Epcot is great. Buses to AK and HS were good. Being on the beach seeing the castle, water parade, and fireworks is really nice along with the pool right by the beach. Oh and Ohana is my favorite restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter