I have a crummy knee...

Mike Breeden

Earning My Ears
We will be at the resort for a while at the beginning of January. Being as old as the original park... and having a bad knee, getting around will be a minor issue. I walk OK, sort of, but I want to keep it to a minimum so that I keep walking OK. What I want to consider ahead of time is keeping down distances from resort entrances to parking and gates or from entrances to buses back to the hotel. I don't have a handicap sticker because my orthopedist believes in surgery before those. Any suggestions -- or suggestions of what to be looking for, would be appreciated.

What resort?

Suggestions:
Always bus to and from parks. Always.
Valet park at any resort that offers it $33 per day plus tip)

We will be staying at Port Orleans. We have 4 days and 4 resorts planned. Being an old fogey with a game knee, my plan is to go at opening, go back to the hotel at about 1 PM, then return to the park at about 4 PM. My knee should handle that with the break. So I need to optimize my travels between the park and hotel, that is not make that trip a lot of additional walking. We will be driving to the resort in the morning and back at night (buses are zooed at those times), at least the kids will be staying until park closing. My concern is not taking the bus, my concern is cutting down the walking from the park to the bus. Maybe it's not such a problem, but I haven't found a map of where the bus stops are and I am looking for various suggestions.

My concern is not taking the bus, my concern is cutting down the walking from the park to the bus. Maybe it's not such a problem, but I haven't found a map of where the bus stops are and I am looking for various suggestions.
There is nothing you can do to cut down the walking from the park to the bus. The bus stops are right outside of the main entrance. Right now because of construction the walk is long at Hollywood Studios but for the rest of the parks it's not such a problem. I recall seeing wheelchairs at some of the bus stops - AK for sure. But since you'll be on your own for these afternoon breaks they may not be of much help.

We will be at the resort for a while at the beginning of January. Being as old as the original park... and having a bad knee, getting around will be a minor issue. I walk OK, sort of, but I want to keep it to a minimum so that I keep walking OK. What I want to consider ahead of time is keeping down distances from resort entrances to parking and gates or from entrances to buses back to the hotel. I don't have a handicap sticker because my orthopedist believes in surgery before those. Any suggestions -- or suggestions of what to be looking for, would be appreciated.
I'm in the same situation: the orthopedist wouldn't approve a handicap permit because my hip might be fixed by surgery someday. I convinced my GP to authorize a temporary permit good for 6 months, which I was able to renew once so far with another authorization. The one-year anniversary is coming up, so we'll see if they let me do it again.

Being a local AP-er who visits the parks frequently, I bought myself a small travel-sized mobility scooter ("ECV" in Disney-speak) which disassembles easily and fits in the trunk of my car. If you're flying in, you might consider renting one from a 3rd party. They are accommodated on all forms of Disney Transport except the small boats running between MK and some of the resorts. They can pass thru most ride queues, and the cm's will move it to be waiting for you at the ride exit. If you want to walk for a while until your knee starts bothering you, you can leave it in a stroller parking area and come back for it later.

See the disABILITIES board for more info and rental suggestions. If you want to purchase one, I've been very satisfied with the Pride Go-Go Elite Traveler. There are a number of on-line sellers that sell them at a discount.

That is interesting and thanks to StageTek, becaues that is what I wanted to hear about where the buses are... near that main entrances.

Joel's suggestion above is a great one. It will not only greatly reduce your walking, it will give you a convenient place to sit while you're in place for a period of time -- which is NOT easy to find at WDW! The combination should lessen the damage to your knee and make your trip much more enjoyable. Don't try to tough it out; focus on enjoying your trip! When we visited with Grandma a few years ago, she brought her own scooter and it was a real trip-saver.

Disney rents ECVs at the parks, I think, but they are pretty bulky. Those that I've seen from other rental companies were much more compact and maneuverable.

Disney rents ECVs at the parks, I think, but they are pretty bulky. Those that I've seen from other rental companies were much more compact and maneuverable.
  • Disney ECV's can't leave the park, so they don't help getting to the buses. OTOH, Guests don't have to wait for a 2nd bus when a bus already has both tie-downs occupied.
  • Guests who park-hop can get another scooter at the 2nd park at no charge, unless they're all rented, which is a real possibility at busy times.
  • The rental cost of a Disney ECV over a few days is likely to be more than just about any 3rd-party rental.

Here is an idea

Buy a Folding Wheelchair & bring it with you ( Free on aircraft ) or put it in your Trunk )

Provided that a family member will push you around .
You will have special space on bus & monorail transport . NO NEED to feel Guilty about this

NO need to return to Hotel ........ just sit in wheelchair & watch ...... the world go by .

While the bulk of the walking is to the overall bus stop area, there is also some variability in the distance within the bus pickup area for the bus to your resort. I don’t know if there is a map of these and am not sure if they change periodically.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter