• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I hate wearing tennis shoes . . . any ideas on supportive "flip flops?"

I'm on the countdown for our trip . . . 20 days. I've started prepping what we are all going to wear and I realized that I really don't want to wear tennis shoes. I detest them; I only wear them when I run. I would really really prefer to wear an "open" shoe, but have found my feet get sweaty in Crocs.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a women's shoe that would resemble a flip flop, but would be cushioned/supportive?
I have high arches and can't wear "flat" sandals. I highly recommend Teva Olowahu (have about 20 pairs) or any of the Teva Mush.

Last edited:
I used to love my Rockport sandals, but last summer switched to a pair of Ugg Sandals (can't remember the style name), and I found them amazing! And that's spending the summer pushing a stroller with toddler twins and doing A LOT of walking with them.

But, I totally agree with switching shoes as often as you can, that seems to make all the difference for me in the parks.

Here at Disney now-tried the fit flops last year and didn't like them-plantar fasciitis terrible by end of the day. Bought vionics this year and so far they have been great. They did need to be broken in though-bought them and wore them to the local zoo after just a couple days-my feet hurt terribly afterward but once I broke them in they were great. I love clarks sandals too but I basically have no arch and they weren't supportive enough to wear at places like Disney

I have some Keens but I can't wear the strap between the toes, so mine are more like slip ons. I think they do make some that are more open than that.

I just bought a pair of Chacos that I plan to wear in the parks next year when we go. They're super comfy so far.
I have several pairs of Chacos. Worn them for years to the parks but you must break them in. They will cause blisters but once your feet are used to them they'll be the best sandal.

I have worn several brands to the parks in the past (Clarks, Merrell, Teva and Crocs included). Of those I probably got along best with the Merrells as far as support goes. While the Clarks I had were super soft & comfy for general wear at home they DID NOT provide good support for walking ALL day. If I wear sandals or flip flops more than a day or 2 in a row my KNEES kill me because I pronate really badly which knocks my knees out of alignment. By the end of the day I am limping and would have to wear good fitting tennis shoes for a couple of days. It's not just your feet if you pronate - it's your knees too.

I recently discovered a special orthopedic footware store that custom fits shoes and sandals. Their 2 biggest brands of sandals that podiatrists recommend and that they sell there are Birkenstocks and the Olukai. The 3rd brand they sell is Vionics. The Olukai "Ohana" in particular is recommended by podiatrists for good support. My feet are a real pain to fit as I wear a narrow (my left foot is longer than my right foot and needs a AAA while my right foot is slightly shorter and wider and needs a AA. I specially ordered a pair of the "Ohana" which were actually too wide for me but she (the owner) is custom fitting them for me. I am hoping they will be done this week (she also had to special order the thread because I ordered a color she didn't have in stock in my size.) It's been a little over a month now since I ordered them - we leave June 3rd and I want to get them broken in (of course the weather in the Northeast hasn't exactly been flip flop weather yet). In the meantime I found a pair of the Olukai "Kulapa Kai" on sale online at LL Bean which I ordered with an additional 10% off - they have a more narrow strap and fit me tighter than the wider strap "Ohana" and won't need altered. Both of these pairs I purchased in a non-leather sole material so that if I get them wet (common at Disney in the summer between summer storms and Kali River) I won't ruin them. I want to eventually also get a pair of the Olukai leather "Paniolo's" which fit me pretty well unaltered too. The Birkenstocks would be another great purchase I'd like to make one day but they are just slightly more expensive and with their cork bottoms could get ruined in a downpour. One day I'll have a full collection.....but as none of them are CHEAP it's going to be a process. My DH also bought a pair of the Olukai "Ohana" and he fell in love with one of their mesh Nohea shoes too which I just ordered for him and he won't take them off!! He's worn them every day since I gave them to him!!

Cushy & soft is not the same as support. I had a pair of the Teva Mush ones one summer that nearly disintegrated after a short time because they were TOO soft. I pronate so bad that my heels on my feet were sliding off the inside edge. NOT good.

http://www.plantarfasciitisresource.com/best-flip-flops-for-plantar-fasciitis/

http://bootbomb.com/a-guide-to-choo...ffordable-price/flip-flops-with-arch-support/

Last edited:
I wear Merrell sandals. I have a black and brown pair that I alternate. Wore them for our entire trip back in September and my feet never bothered me!!!!

Uggg, I have been struggling with plantar fasciitis and living in supportive sneakers (Brooks) but also have found some comfort in Spenco flip flops.

On prior trips I would wear sneakers during the day but switch to Teva's at night.... there are some Clark flip flops that are pretty good too. Good thing I have no disney trip planned this year. :crutches:
I also suffer from planters fasciitis and I wear Merrill sandals to the parks. I have two pairs I alternate between and my feet never bothered me out lay trip!!! Needless to say I will be wearing the same sandals when we go back in July.

only wear one show anywhere for pleasure - KEEN walked miles and miles and never had a blister or issue. It is the only park shoe in my opinion

For what it's worth I usually go with Birkenstocks. But I recently purchased the newest Disney crocs, they are brown and black in color, and they are very supportive and comfortable. They will also dry fast if I get caught in the rain

I have to vote for Keen's as well. My entire family wears Keens in the park. We like the Newport H2, as they have the toe covered and the straps for the heel keep it on our feet. Keen's have a lot of different styles though so there should be something that works for most people. My husband has plantar fasciitis, and the Keens work well for him.

I have plantar fasciitis and all I wear in the summer are vionic flip flops. They are super supportive, comfortable and I have no foot pain while wearing them. I have 3 pairs, love them!

I agree with the Croc flip-flops. Wore them a trip ago and seemed to hold up well. I don't know if there are different kinds, but mine were thicker soled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter