I hate this time of year

What does green have to do with summer? :confused: Heck, the summer colors here in Austin are shades of yellow and brown. Summer is when you hear the crunch of dead grass under your shoes. Not bare feet, mind you, because you do NOT want to step into a mess of fire ants, or on grass burrs, or on some dried-out, broken-off weed stalks. Those are God's own caltrops. Of course, when Fall finally shows up -- usually some time in mid November -- the leaves all turn color. Brown is a color isn't it? Green is something you see in the early Spring, and on that suspicious meat loaf in the back of the refrigerator. But we're looking forward to a week where we don't break 90. That should happen sometime before the end of the month, I hope.

Haha!!! I'm in New Braunfels and can totally relate!

Wow, Gina! I'm just a town or two south of you in League City/Dickinson.

I hear you. I love fall. I love cool/cold weather. I love walking outside and not being sucked dry by a swarm of mosquitos. Texas doesn't give me a lot of love in the summer...or until December.

I do like winters here. I lived in Missouri for most of my life and, although I liked the seasons, winter could be brutal. The tornadoes were worrisome, as well. At least hurricanes give you a head's up that they're coming.

When I visited my parents (in MO) in late June, the days were in the 80s and nights were in the 50s! It was glorious.

Just a rant, feel free to move on with your day. :thumbsup2

I just hate this time of year, when all the pumpkin spice stuff is coming out, and cozy long-sleeve clothes are popping up in stores, and every TV commercial shows falling leaves and what I can only imagine is a brisk breeze.

Our heat index today is 102-107. :faint:

I was born and raised here, it's not like the weather is a shock... But I go through this every year. Every.dang.year. I'm trying to remember that come December, we'll have the last laugh here when we're outside bbqing in shorts while other people are buried under feet of snow, but after what always feels like 9 months of summer I am just so ready for some pumpkin spice anything and a breeze that even remotely resembles brisk!

Chime in, fellow Southerners -- Am I alone in my whining? :rolleyes:

It's absolutely miserable in NE Florida right now. I was so happy when I woke up this morning and it was 72 with 75% humidity. :sad2: It's so humid out right now, that when I put the dog out to use the bathroom, it felt like someone slapped me in the face with a hot wet towel.

I miss seasons (we have hot and wet or not hot and wet).

I remember the Christmas that we had to cut the air conditioning on in order to have a fire burning in the fireplace, but darnit! it was Christmas and we WERE going to have a fire. I do, however, like wearing shorts and flipflops in January. We always say we have four seasons here: summer, summer, summer and a few months when the windchill factor gets below 65.

How'd ya like to live with Winter, Sprin-ter, Summer and Fal-ter? :furious:
5" of snow over 3 days beginning September 8. 57,000 households without electricity due to downed trees and ice coated power lines. Carnage on the roads and every growing thing dead over a period of 12 hours. Check out this link - it's all real; you can't make this stuff up.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1556196/funny-photos-and-tweets-about-calgarys-summer-snowstorm/

Oh, and JSYK, we had our last major spring storm on May 18. This is why I don't even BOTHER switching out my snow tires...:(

I love everything pumpkin. I am the New England girl who hoards pumpkin spice coffee so I can drink it all winter long. I bought a giant pumpkin at Trader Joe's today, and it is sitting by my fireplace in a blaze of orange glory. Autumn is spectacular in my corner of the country, too bad I can't say the same for February.

53 degrees and snowy tomorrow and 82 degrees and sunny by Sunday - this is what stresses me out about the changing seasons in Colorado. I need to have my summer and fall wardrobe out!

I splurged a bit and treated myself to a nice jacket, so I'm actually looking forward to being able to wear it. :woohoo:

Gina, it looks like your area is about to dip down into 80's for a high in the next few days. Relief is in sight!

Fall is my favorite season. I love the colors of fall and the temps of fall. My house has a lot of fall colors anyway, so I enjoy decorating for fall too. (My fall décor rivals Christmas. ;) )

That said, we keep bouncing back and forth between hot/humid and cold right now, with no real "fall weather" in between. It makes it hard to adjust. The hot feels too hot and the cold feels too cold.

I wore jeans, a tshirt, and jacket to my son's fball game last night and it was so cool and breezy, I was freezing. I really wanted the snack stand to break out the coffee or hot cocoa. lol.

Cozy sweaters...not so much when one is hot flashing. ;)

Leaves...raking. Bleah.

Snow...shovelling.

I hate all things pumpkin flavored.

I love everything about fall......pumpkin scents, leaves changing colours, cool days.....My daughter's middle name is even Autumn. Well, at least she was born in the fall. :goodvibes

Gina, it looks like your area is about to dip down into 80's for a high in the next few days. Relief is in sight!

It's still the upper 80's there, but I'm happy about the prospect of possibly some rain! It's just the monotony that has piled up to this point after so many months of it... It's hot when you wake up, it's hot when you go to bed, and it's hellish in between. Just wishing for a change, lol. And hey at least a few degrees cooler is a change, so bring on the "front!" :thumbsup2

Wouldn't it be awesome if we could all have a holodeck-type-setup in our homes, where you could simulate a different weather? Of course, then down here we would never leave that room in the summer, and a lot of y'all would never leave in the winter! But we could all happily DIS our days away in ideal weather. :goodvibes

See, OP -- I'm the opposite. I like heat and sunshine. When fall comes, I get depressed because I know winter with its cold and snow and gloomy days is hard on its heels.

See, OP -- I'm the opposite. I like heat and sunshine. When fall comes, I get depressed because I know winter with its cold and snow and gloomy days is hard on its heels.
Me too.
Mid-fall through winter is so gloomy.
I do like the first few weeks when it gets chilly but is still sunny.

When I rule the world and control the weather (bwahahahaha), these will be the seasons:

December 26-August 25: spring
August 26-Labor Day: summer
Day after Labor Day-Thanksgiving: fall
Day after Thanskgiving-December 25: winter

Big spring/fall person--not so much for really cold and really hot weather.

How can you hate this time of year? It's College Football time!!! Of course, I do live in a town with a major football program right across the street from my office, and where the band practices each afternoon behind our office.

Gotta love it.

RTR

:rotfl2: I didn't watch college football when I was IN COLLEGE. Not gonna start now.

Just a rant, feel free to move on with your day. :thumbsup2

I just hate this time of year, when all the pumpkin spice stuff is coming out, and cozy long-sleeve clothes are popping up in stores, and every TV commercial shows falling leaves and what I can only imagine is a brisk breeze.

Our heat index today is 102-107. :faint:

I'm in Ohio (it's chilly today) BUT my husband has a new job and has been in Houston for several months. We will be moving when this school year is out and so far our city of choice is Friendswood lol. I can't even imagine what it's going to be like. I'm a winter person and I'm trying really hard to convince myself I'm not going to hate it there.

When I rule the world and control the weather (bwahahahaha), these will be the seasons:

December 26-August 25: spring
August 26-Labor Day: summer
Day after Labor Day-Thanksgiving: fall
Day after Thanskgiving-December 25: winter

Big spring/fall person--not so much for really cold and really hot weather.

Sign me up as a citizen of your world!! :thumbsup2

I'm in Ohio (it's chilly today) BUT my husband has a new job and has been in Houston for several months. We will be moving when this school year is out and so far our city of choice is Friendswood lol. I can't even imagine what it's going to be like. I'm a winter person and I'm trying really hard to convince myself I'm not going to hate it there.

This is a wonderful, wonderful place to live. Really!! I am in Pearland, 4 houses from being in Friendswood, and it truly is awesome. It's just the summers down here that are lethal!! I am way less tolerant of the heat than a lot of people, I guess. BUT, if anything, the extreme heat makes the pure glory of our first real cold front that much sweeter.

From the other posts here, it sounds like a lot of people in colder climes truly dread the first cold front of the year because it heralds the season of snow shoveling, and 12 layers of clothes, and ice taking down power lines. For us it means finally getting to open our windows, enjoying not having a heat stroke at football games, and just plain savoring not sweating 24 hours a day.

Friendswood was named one of the safest cities in America in which to live, and the school district is very, very good. And both Pearland and Friendswood share the same qualities as other small communities in the area -- Very patriotic, very family- and community-oriented, and downright friendly as all get-out. When something is going on in the community, the whole community turns out to support/celebrate/unite.

And we're close enough to the beach that you can be there in 30-40 minutes, and will have seagulls circling over your house. I generally suck at geography, but I'm pretty confident that's not possible in Ohio. :thumbsup2

I really do truly love where I live, so much. The only way I could be happier is if I lived on Galveston Island, and I'll get there. But this is a happy second. It's just this time of year that makes me stabby because I would love to just experience the "Fall" I see on TV, lol. :rolleyes:

I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the area -- just let me know!

:rotfl2: I didn't watch college football when I was IN COLLEGE. Not gonna start now.

Just had to take an anti-anxiety pill when I read this. I watch, attend, DVR, watch again and again, read, listen to sports radio, discuss---think you get the idea. Should be getting home from our game about this time tomorrow then will watch sports center and replays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter