I had to un-decorate my room window!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksmomma

WWMD?~ What Would Mickey Do?
I made a ton of decorations for my resort room window for my most recent trip. I had lots of Mickey heads from HD, some words and shapes I cut with my Cricut (scrapbooking machine), and some washable chalk pens. I decorated the window as planned and it looked great. We were with a big group and everyone loved it. The second day we returned to our room and found a message on the phone. We were told that we would have to take down all the decorations or we would be charged $25 a day! :confused3 Has this ever happened to anyone? This was my first time decorating and I was very excited to do it! It was depressing to take it all down. :guilty:

Here is a pic of the window
http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm207/jacksmomma/?action=view&current=IMG_1380.jpg

And a close up of the bottom of it
http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm207/jacksmomma/?action=view&current=IMG_1383.jpg

I made a ton of decorations for my resort room window for my most recent trip... The second day we returned to our room and found a message on the phone. We were told that we would have to take down all the decorations...

I am sorry the OP was disappointed, after obviously putting time and thought into decorating the window. :flower3:

But, honestly... it was only a matter of time before WDW began taking steps to discourage this sort of thing. Can you imagine how often Mousekeeping probably gets stuck with cleaning up the 'decorations' after guests have checked out? Depending on how different people decorate, it could really be a pain, and a lot of extra trouble for them. I would imagine that they sometimes need a step stool and scissors in order to cut down streamers/garlands. And then there is the extra time spent scrubbing down windows to remove remnants of tape and adhesive, not to mention whatever type of paint or markers different guests might have used to write with (some of it is easy to wipe off, but other stuff is really tough to get off &/or smears around). All that while they are under pressure to get numerous rooms cleaned out & restocked by mid-afternoon, so that the next set of guests can check in.:headache:

I'm not saying the OP did anything wrong. Just saying that, in general, the window decorating (and failure of guests to remove the decorationsbefore departing) has probably gotten a bit out of hand... and WDW has had to respond.

I am sorry the OP was disappointed, after obviously putting time and thought into decorating the window. :flower3:

But, honestly... it was only a matter of time before WDW began taking steps to discourage this sort of thing. Can you imagine how often Mousekeeping probably gets stuck with cleaning up the 'decorations' after guests have checked out? Depending on how different people decorate, it could really be a pain, and a lot of extra trouble for them. I would imagine that they sometimes need a step stool and scissors in order to cut down streamers/garlands. And then there is the extra time spent scrubbing down windows to remove remnants of tape and adhesive, not to mention whatever type of paint or markers different guests might have used to write with (some of it is easy to wipe off, but other stuff is really tough to get off &/or smears around). All that while they are under pressure to get numerous rooms cleaned out & restocked by mid-afternoon, so that the next set of guests can check in.:headache:

I'm not saying the OP did anything wrong. Just saying that, in general, the window decorating (and failure of guests to remove the decorationsbefore departing) has probably gotten a bit out of hand... and WDW has had to respond.

ITA. It's probably another case of a "few bad apples" who didn't clean up after themselves, who cause problems for everyone else. However--tipping very well on your daily tips to mousekeeping may help smooth the waters. I could see where mousekeeping would automatically assume "oh great additional work" (and remember they are timed on the number of rooms they must clean)--there isn't any time in their schedule to do extra like windows. Sad but true.

The window looks nice...but I can see the view of not wanting to make mousekeeping clean up after people like this. It takes time away from cleaning the rests of the rooms to get tape, paint, etc off the windows. This means the quality of the other cleaning might go down. Why not decorate your patio door after the trip with photos and memories of the trip...or do a countdown on your door before going?

How about just charging if it is left up when you leave ??????????

Hey, Folks !!!!!!!!! Clean up behind yourselves..... in the parks, in the restrooms, in the rooms, in the bathrooms - everywhere!

I was wondering how long it would take before Disney wasn't so nice about the decorating. To me, I see nothing wrong with it as long as you clean it all off before you leave. The markers on the windows though, I could see as an issue because not all of them come off so easily, especially when it bakes on in the Florida heat.

Well shoot! I just bought a whole bunch of window clings to take with us. Guess if this becomes common I won't even bother packing them.

wouldn't window "clings" and maybe the odd plushie sitting on the ledge be ok? - nothing to wipe, scrape, scour or use Goo Gone to remove....

sometimes i've seen windows waaaaaay overdone, with blinking christmas lights, large plushies and the occasional chair holding additional tchotkes with the curtain pulled behind - kind of trashy/messy looking

We had our windows and door decorated this last May. We got compliments from our mousekeepers and even a manager who happened to be near our room. Hopefully this is more of an isolated incident (maybe that particluar manager doesn't like it? Someone in housekeeping overstepped their boundries?) or it was because of the markers (I can see the concern, they don't know if they are washable or not).

Either way, how can they charge you if you don't get the message? Example, I have NEVER looked at the phone in my last 16 (yes, 16) stays. I wouldn't know if I had a message unless the phone started screaming at me. So they would have a big problem if they tried to put unauthorized charges on my credit card.

OP, did you call and speak to the manager before you took your decor down?

We decorated our window last year and had no problems. I cleaned it all up the night before we checked out. I cleaned the window so well it looked even better than when we checked in! :thumbsup2

Has anyone else had any complaints from management about their windows? I have already purchased several items for my window at Pop this Oct. and will be very ticked if they try to make me take it down!:headache:

3"Mouse"keteers;26571417 said:
Has anyone else had any complaints from management about their windows? I have already purchased several items for my window at Pop this Oct. and will be very ticked if they try to make me take it down!:headache:

We have stayed at Pop twice in this last month. And both times I have decorated my window. Both times I have made a sign signifying what we were celebrating, and I hung it on the window with a hook through it on a suction cup.(Wal-Mart) So no tape. And I had a window cling on it, easy to remove and no mess. And I also had some mini plushies that I sat on my window sill. No problems either time.

I would guess the main problem with the OP's window was the writing that was done. I don't think I would chance it. Just my opinion. I think they'd be fine with it otherwise.

Blessings,
Winnie

Great. My sil and I have been busy on the cricut making characters for our window @ movies. Wonder if I should even bother.

What resort was this at? We decorated our windows (we had three rooms) @Pop last Christmas without a problem.
20071228_195031.jpg

20071228_195054.jpg

First of all, great job. But I'm thinking that the manager probably didn't want to encourage other guests to use markers to write on their windows. Although yours might have been washable, I'm sure people would use whatever was handy, including permenant markers.

Did you notice any othe windows decorated?
Maybe they were planning on taping a new DVD and needed "all areas clean" in case your room was somehow in the DVD?

Can't blame them one bit for wanting to discourage this.

As another poster pointed out, tape residue on windows can be tough to clean. Anyone who chooses to use tape on the painted areas around the window can actually pull the paint OFF the frame/wall. On the picture posted here I see something that appears to be taped to the exterior door. Again, the tape can be destructive to the paint.

Then you'll have guests complaining about how shoddy the maintenance is "Paint is chipped, windows dirty...etc etc etc".

I think its gone a bit overboard.

My DH and I decorated our window and our door last year and had no problems. I cleaned it all up the night before we checked out. I even cleaned the window.

I would guess the main problem with the OP's window was the writing that was done. I don't think I would chance it. Just my opinion. I think they'd be fine with it otherwise.

Blessings,
Winnie
I'm not sure what the OP used to write on the glass, but there are many things that don't clean off very well.
Can't blame them one bit for wanting to discourage this.

As another poster pointed out, tape residue on windows can be tough to clean. Anyone who chooses to use tape on the painted areas around the window can actually pull the paint OFF the frame/wall. On the picture posted here I see something that appears to be taped to the exterior door. Again, the tape can be destructive to the paint.

Then you'll have guests complaining about how shoddy the maintenance is "Paint is chipped, windows dirty...etc etc etc".

I think its gone a bit overboard.
I know from talking to the Maintenance people where I work that tape stuck to glass for more than a few days can actually damage the glass - it stays somewhat sticky and attracts dirt, even if it doesn't seem sticky. Just to get the tape off they sometimes have to scrape it off with razor blades.
And, agree with the information about tape on walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter