• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I had to drive in NYC today...

D

DaveOBrien

No matter where you are in Manhattan, you can smell this awful stench of burning material. Coming over the George Washington Bridge from NJ, I was transfixed by the cloud hanging over the city like a blanket. It's even tougher to see in person. Lower Manhattan is like an armed camp at 11 pm tonight. When you actually look at it(the cloud and the smell) and see a big gaping hole in the skyline with your own eyes, it's almost too much.

I'm heading into the city today and I'll be in midtown tomorrow on business. Life goes on, but I'm sort of dreading it.

Dave, that must have been even worse in person.

Kelly, I can understand you dread.

Kel, good luck on the trip in there, man. Try to hold it toghether-it's not easy.

Y'know, New Yorkers have to be the greatest people on earth!

The city seemed much as it always does, except for profusion of American flags everywhere. The subways were crowded although the street crowds seemed smaller. People seemd upbeat and carrying on as usual

I didn't go below 19th Street, though. I hear that farther downtown, things are still pretty hairy.

There are impromptu shrines and bulletin boards everywhere. In my old neighborhood, on a corner near a park, a makeshift shrine combines Gaelic pride and Caribbean spirituality. Botanica votive candles glow in front of Irish flags, floral offerings and handwritten praise for the police and fire departments.

Especially heart-rending are the flyers that just a few days ago sought information on missing loved ones. Now they are funeral rememberances, fragile tombstones for those who may never receive a proper burial. The names of the missing reflect the rich ethnic stew that makes New York special -- Moreno and, yes, Monaghan, although he is no relation.

Make no mistake. New York is still there, still strong, still proud, still the greatest city on earth.

New Yorkers have learned survivalism the hard way. I know it gets a bad rap but no one, I repeat, NO ONE, can deal like a New Yorker. We had to "deal" on a daily basis.

"If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere"... those words didn't mean much to me until I moved away! Thanks, kelly, for the tribute to the great people of my great city!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter