I guess it is OK to go to DLR in your underwear

NannyBeBe

DIS Veteran
My daughter was on a trip to DLR early this month with her four young children, ages 5 to 10. They were in the Build a Bear store in DTD. My daughter sees this young woman come in wearing only a bra and panties. My daughter is in her early 30s. She knows the difference between lingerie and a cute little outfit. She went up to the clerk and stated that she did not feel that what the woman was wearing was appropriate, especially in Build a Bear where there are many young children. The clerk said they could not do anything about it because what the woman was wearing was her fashion choice. I have never heard the term fashion choice but I guess it means we can go around DLR in whatever we choose to wear. So be careful. Your kids might get an eyeful in DLR.

While I've never seen that at DLR, my observations of others in the park has certainly been some of the most scantily clad individuals in public I've ever seen.

My daughter was on a trip to DLR early this month with her four young children, ages 5 to 10. They were in the Build a Bear store in DTD. My daughter sees this young woman come in wearing only a bra and panties. My daughter is in her early 30s. She knows the difference between lingerie and a cute little outfit. She went up to the clerk and stated that she did not feel that what the woman was wearing was appropriate, especially in Build a Bear where there are many young children. The clerk said they could not do anything about it because what the woman was wearing was her fashion choice. I have never heard the term fashion choice but I guess it means we can go around DLR in whatever we choose to wear. So be careful. Your kids might get an eyeful in DLR.

It is up to the store to determine what is appropriate in their place of business.

yeah, i never see so many bras, butt cheeks, and butt cracks than when i'm at disneyland. i swear, i have underwear that offers more coverage than the shorts i see young girls wearing. it's one thing if you want to wear that to the beach or to a night club, but to a family place like disneyland? i don't know what people are thinking. and i don't know how it's even comfortable either, lol!

What happened to "Shirt & Shoes Required"??

It's not necessarily any law. Typically that's just a business's individual policy. There may be some city or county ordinance, but that's not typically the case. I can't imagine something like a window counter at a beach requiring anyone to have shirts and shoes.

I understand that a lot of businesses require shoes because of some sort of injury risk for those without shoes.

Shirt and shoes required are typically at restaurants due to possible health code issues. Other businesses it's up to their discretion but due to liability require it.

There's rarely any "health code issue". There no federal or state law that requires shirt and shoes. There are occasionally local ordinances, but those are rare. Quite a few generic signs claim some sort of "health code" but it's rarely the case.

I could find stuff about the proper attire of food handlers. One said that sleeveless shirts were allowed such as tank tops.

Oh my! That must have been a sight!

I wonder if this woman was from a different culture where less clothing is more socially acceptable? Not saying it was right, because it absolutely wasn't, but that might be the reasoning.

Maybe it was a swimsuit? Still weird and inappropriate, but not as weird as lingerie.

We went out to breakfast last Sunday and a woman there had a shirt on that said in big bold letters on the back **** off and die. Spelled out of course. And on the front was a giant picture of a middle finger.

Given that the restaurant typically serves a church crowd on Sundays and there were many children present, I can't believe she wasn't asked to leave. I found the shirt offensive. I would rather have looked at someone in their bra and panties.

I read recently that fear of lawsuits may be behind the fact there is no longer any enforcement of dress codes. Sad.

This makes me happy that our next trip is in November. Doesn't mean it won't happen, but it will probably be less likely. Of course, I live in Phoenix, and it's a million degrees outside, so I'm surprised we haven't seen more skin than that in public places yet this summer...

So this was worthy of a thread and a WARNING? Cuz kids might see something that will harm them in some way.
Come ON. One walk through the parks on a hot day and you see plenty.
I think it's interesting your daughter thought her best move was to complain to a store clerk. Wow.
How else will a business know that someone finds it offensive unless someone complains? So that said business can make informed decisions as to whether to allow it or not.

What is "offensive" to one is not to another. I'm a very modest person, but I don't make it my business to clutch my pearls. This seems so silly to me. Just my opinion, only mine.
There are dress codes in place, or informed decisions--as mentioned above. Those codes are loose guidelines and we have all seen it. It's the reporting and warning about what kids might see that make me laugh. Seriously.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter