• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I got a little steamed at the Fort today

disneydizzy2

Former Almost Cast Member
Ok maybe it's just me, but DANG it peeves me people think rules don't apply to them.

I'll be the first to admit I tend to follow them almost to a fault. And I may Obsess over people who don't . I'm trying very hard as I get older to mind my own business , follow the rules, and let those who implemented the rules take the task of enforcing them.

But today was a
"See something , say something" moment for me.

While walking my dogs today at the Fort behind the 300 loop in the grassy area following the creek I observed what I find to be "those " people. A man and an older teen boy were
Fishing near the dam area. The older male was INSIDE the fence line. You know the one they constructed all over the properties and added massive warning signs to stay away from the water due to alligators and snakes? Because a young
Boy lost his life?? As
I got closer I can see another man also on the inside of fence right next to the dam. First guy is poking at something on the waters edge. His young companion is trying to take a picture.

Now here's where it gets ridiculous! A family canoeing along is speaking to them and paddles over to the edge as well and let's the small child (guessing 3-4 years) who is sitting in the bottom in the middle of the canoe get up and move to the front of the canoe for a good look at whatever! And now teen boy is climbing
Over fence as well.

I was flabbergasted!

I took the cut off into 300 to find a CM and one drove by on a garbage collection truck right then. I waved him over and told him what was going on. He was furious and thanked me and
Zoomed in that direction.

Am I nuts? Overly cautious? Perhaps, but even though this is my first FW stay I feel fiercely protective over it and the need for idiots not to ruin it for the rest of us.

Last edited:
Yep, world full idiots. I can only guess what they were poking at but I bet it was thinking "What a bunch of idiots".

Your title implies you were steamed at the Fort, but not their fault. If the CM did address the issue then the Fort did their job.

I consider this another case of "Defeating Darwinism"

Yep, world full idiots. I can only guess what they were poking at but I bet it was thinking "What a bunch of idiots".

Your title implies you were steamed at the Fort, but not their fault. If the CM did address the issue then the Fort did their job.

I consider this another case of "Defeating Darwinism"

On no my title just meant I was AT the Fort and got steamed at the fools who ignored the obvious signs and fences. The CM was immediately attentive and expressed thanks for alerting him. They are doing their best in an ever increasing population of entitled folks who live by the "the rules only apply to others"

The same people who yell WHY ME.. and then sue.
Silly mistakes, rules don't apply or just plain unknowing ... none of it matters when someone gets Hurt..most especially a child who is Suppossed to have a Responsible Adult looking out for them.
I think u did the correct thing..

By the way... I happen to live in a place where bridges go over lakes... lakes that Have Gators.. yet I heard there was an Alert to the Guard as Teens were jumping in from the bridge!! And I've personally alerted a gentleman who was standing in the water Fishing , who was then SHOCKED when I told him about the gators.. yet there Are signs..
Who knows... but I couldn't keep pedaling by.

You absolutely did the right thing. It sounds like a situation that could have gotten ugly pretty quickly. I too usually try to mind my own business and follow the rules to the best of my ability and let those in.
Charge of said rules take care of rule breakers. Sometimes though the situation calls for somebody to speak up. I applaud the CM who took quick action and you for reporting it to the proper people. I get super passionate about car seats and really have to refrain when I see people who are not following those rules. Sadly the laws in most states have not caught up with what is recommended by the American Pediatrics Association. I had somebody ask me why my oldest is still in a car booster seat, I explained and then had them say, "Well they are a pain and my kid throws a fit so we quit using it" . Sigh. Again, have to let some things go. Sorry got really :offtopic: there. Just saying I agree with you and your choice to say something. ::yes::

We where at the bike barn yesterday so DD could do the Mickey tye-dyed shirt and a little kid walked right past the gator sign and into the water. The parents didn't have a care in the world and the CM did not do or say anything either.

We where at the bike barn yesterday so DD could do the Mickey tye-dyed shirt and a little kid walked right past the gator sign and into the water. The parents didn't have a care in the world and the CM did not do or say anything either.

One of those circumstances where you start screaming "gator!", "shark!" or "anaconda!". Then, when everybody is running around screaming and snatching the child out of the water just slowly walk away mumbling "suckas!"

As an ER nurse I see lots of people who could have avoided the visit if only they had read the signs or followed the rules. I remember early in my career voicing my concerns to an ER doctor who gave me two pieces of advice:
1) Common sense isn't as common as you might think
2) Why bother to protect a head that is too stupid to protect itself.

Ok maybe it's just me, but DANG it peeves me people think rules don't apply to them.

I'll be the first to admit I tend to follow them almost to a fault. And I may Obsess over people who don't . I'm trying very hard as I get older to mind my own business , follow the rules, and let those who implemented the rules take the task of enforcing them.

But today was a
"See something , say something" moment for me.

While walking my dogs today at the Fort behind the 300 loop in the grassy area following the creek I observed what I find to be "those " people. A man and an older teen boy were
Fishing near the dam area. The older male was INSIDE the fence line. You know the one they constructed all over the properties and added massive warning signs to stay away from the water due to alligators and snakes? Because a young
Boy lost his life?? As
I got closer I can see another man also on the inside of fence right next to the dam. First guy is poking at something on the waters edge. His young companion is trying to take a picture.

Now here's where it gets ridiculous! A family canoeing along is speaking to them and paddles over to the edge as well and let's the small child (guessing 3-4 years) who is sitting in the bottom in the middle of the canoe get up and move to the front of the canoe for a good look at whatever! And now teen boy is climbing
Over fence as well.

I was flabbergasted!

I took the cut off into 300 to find a CM and one drove by on a garbage collection truck right then. I waved him over and told him what was going on. He was furious and thanked me and
Zoomed in that direction.

Am I nuts? Overly cautious? Perhaps, but even though this is my first FW stay I feel fiercely protective over it and the need for idiots not to ruin it for the rest of us.

I know there are alligators there bc we saw one right in that exact area when we were there last spring, this was before the GF incident. Saw it twice right behind our 300 loop site in the water next to the dog park. We alerted FW, no one poking at it as it was in the water but if someone was would have agitated me also. There were no fences that I saw there at the time. People are stupid sometimes. You did the right thing.

As an ER nurse I see lots of people who could have avoided the visit if only they had read the signs or followed the rules. I remember early in my career voicing my concerns to an ER doctor who gave me two pieces of advice:

Aight, first of all don't give out all our secrets. You realize that being an idiot generates about 1/3 of our ED business? We gotta keep a job here.

In reference to your doctor's comments, this is in line with our statement of what do we do in the ED? We:

Save people from themselves

And

Defeat Darwinism

You were more patient than I would have been. I would have called them out and then gotten a CM. We were on the boat ride in The Land at Epcot earlier this year and a group of middle school age girls was in the row in front of us. As we entered the hot house portion of the ride they started shifting seats and I knew what was coming.....one leaned out of the boat trying to touch the sand IN FRONT OF THE SIGN THAT SAID "DO NOT TOUCH"!! The mama in me started yelling at them "Hey! Hey! What part of do not touch don't you understand?!"

Honestly the baby that died at GF last year haunts me and although I know they should have known that there are gators, I understand why they never thought about it. I think the majority of people still don't think it could happen to them so those of us who are rule followers have a responsibility to speak up.

Aight, first of all don't give out all our secrets. You realize that being an idiot generates about 1/3 of our ED business? We gotta keep a job here.

In reference to your doctor's comments, this is in line with our statement of what do we do in the ED? We:

Save people from themselves

And

Defeat Darwinism

One of my doctor's favorite sayings is, "Common sense is the least common of all of the senses".

Don't feel bad, you may have saved them from their own lack of intelligence (or in some cases, ignorance). Speak up so that YOU don't regret NOT having done so. Your post reminded me of when I was at Disney last, and why I chose to block it out.... (sad)

Rules are in place for a reason.....karma can be rough for those that don't follow them

I know there are alligators there bc we saw one right in that exact area when we were there last spring, this was before the GF incident. Saw it twice right behind our 300 loop site in the water next to the dog park. We alerted FW, no one poking at it as it was in the water but if someone was would have agitated me also. There were no fences that I saw there at the time. People are stupid sometimes. You did the right thing.
There's gators in pretty much all FL waters.

ETA (not the ocean, but definitely most lakes/ponds/etc)

I wish I could have "Liked" your post even more (and other similar ones).

Not that I want to see bad things happen to people, but I generally believe that most people get what they deserve. As Forest Gump says... "Stupid is, as Stupid does." The bad thing about "Karma" in these instances, is that in the end, it's those of us who attempt to do the right thing who pay for it in the end (either financially or by other rules and restrictions that shouldn't be required if more people had that not so "Common" sense!)

I think if Darwin is going to do his work, he should do it very "Swiftly" and not linger on it. (Okay.... Maybe I don't really mean that but I am sure you know the feeling sometimes)

There's gators in pretty much all FL waters.

ETA (not the ocean, but definitely most lakes/ponds/etc)

Yup just never saw one personally and did first time right behind our site. My husband lived in Florida as a child so I'm very aware they can be in any lake, canal, etc. I know people that have gone to WDW and the Fort for YEARS and have never seen one and we did first time we went to FW. For me it was pretty cool. Just letting people know to be careful and adhere to rules and signs they have posted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter